Cappuccino Stout - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Cappuccino StoutCappuccino Stout

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.20% ABV

(Beer added by: GClarkage on 10-20-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cappuccino Stout Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev -4.1%

4.45/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - nice two finger head on top of a deep mahogany brown.
S - definitely can smell the coffee in this one as well as the expected stout malt.
T - yummy! Bitter coffee in a rich malty blend.
M - nice carbonation to complement the medium to heavy body.
D - quite nice, better than I expected and I will be revisiting this one.

3.33/5  rDev -14.8%

I went after the Lagunitas Cappuccino stout because I've been on a really big heavy-stout kick as of late and this looked like an interesting offering at my local go-to beer shop.
A- The Cappuccino Stout pours a nice dark brown/black but transforms into amber when held up to the light. I got about a fingers worth of a medium brown head that really dissipated quickly.
S- I definitely get the requisite coffee and roasted notes that I would expect from a beer that bills itself as a cppuccino stout, but I also get an off-smell that it almost medicinal or antiseptic that I can't quite put my fingers on.
T- Nice and sweet like black coffee with at least two sugars. I dark and milk chocolate as well as plaum and other dark fruit flavors on the back and sides of the tongue. It lingers for a time too, which I believe is good.
M- This is a big tasting beer that definitely would be described as medium bodied. For 9%, I really dont start feeling the alcohol until midway through my first glass. Very appropriatly carbonated for a stout of this character.
O- Overall, this is definitely a middle of the road beer. I have to say that I am a big fan of Lagunitas, and I was expecting a little more out of this one. Im just not too comfortable with the flavor or the smell of the beer.

3.63/5  rDev -7.2%

On-tap at the Rose and Crown in Palo Alto, from a pint glass, reviewed from notes.

A: Pretty nice looking beer; dark brown with a reddish tinge and a light coating of light brown head.

S: Good blend of powerful coffee and cocoa notes (definitely smells like cocoa powder rather than chocolate). I'm only picking up on sweet flavors but it's never overpowering in its sweetness; rather comforting smell.

T: Initially quite bittersweet, which lingers as a light sweetness and even tanginess enter the picture. That could be coming from the slightly lactic flavors that are present– Lagunitas has done a good job making this a cappuccino beer rather than a coffee one. The combination of milk along with the coffee and cocoa from the nose are really all that I'm picking up on here, but it's enjoyable in its simplicity coupled with its uniqueness.

M: Medium-bodied; a little bit lighter than I was expecting from a stout with this kind of ABV. Creamy mouthfeel (which goes well with the cappuccino theme), with moderate carbonation and a slightly dry finish. Being picky here and knocking the 0.5 off since I would have preferred a thicker body, but it did lend itself to easy, quick drinking.

O: I had a bad experience with this one in the past in a bottle, but I'm glad I tried it again on tap. Coffee stouts are generally my favorite style of beer, and while this isn't one of the best of them, it's worth a try, it's reasonably priced, and it would definitely be a good starting point for people who haven't had a coffee beer before.

4.06/5  rDev +3.8%

Appearance - Pours a deep black with dark amber/brown edging. The light caramel head is thick and stays for a fair amount of time before reducing to a fine lace with fair stick.

Smell - Hits on Coffee, a bit of caramel and a somewhat grassy bitterness.

Taste - Coffee, cream. A hint of mint? Roasted coffee and caramel malt tones which fit the bill. Hops are present, but "keep to themselves" aways back, providing a generic bitterness that plays nicely with the coffee overtones.

Mouthfeel - Light to medium bodied, but very creamy. Perfect carbonation for the style. Nice balance. The alcohol heat peaks through from time to time, but not unexpected for a 9%-er.

Overall - This is my 2nd go-around this this beer, the first being on New Year's Eve. I was a bit thrown off by expectations the first time; I'm now finding an appreciation for this Lagunitas offering that wasn't quite there in my initial voyage. Too bad they don't offer this in 6-pack form, because it's certainly one I'd grab occasionally in winter months.

4.22/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours a deep, dark black with a two-finger head that fades fast. Looks too much like coffee to me.

Creamy roasted coffee greets my nose.That's about all that I can detect at this point.

Wow. A wallop of roasted coffee upfront followed by mild cocoa and cream notes. This is all about the roast though.

This ale has gone up from 8.8 to 9% and yet, it doesn't show that much thanks to the density of the malt. Plenty of coffee to keep your tongue occupied.

I do admit that the carbonation is somewhat lacking but otherwise, this is a solid coffee stout.

3.35/5  rDev -14.3%

22oz bottle into a pint glass

seemed thin while pouring, but quickly accumulated a thick, cakey collar of tan foam. My recent attempt at facial hair is going to love the ensuing foamstache. light barely comes through, edges of amber when held up to a bulb.

roasty malt and bitter chocolate on the nose, espresso.

coffee coffee coffee! Not really getting the "cappuccino" part of the name, but definitely has the espresso part. It's a little bitter/tart with some smoke on the back end. My tongue is getting some spicy hop resin, but it's faint. Not sure how old this bottle is, though.

On the light body side for a 9% stout, but not thin. Good carbonation levels. Semi-sweet.

Overall, I'd have to count this as a miss. Espresso/Coffee stout makes more sense as a title, as I didn't get any creaminess in the mouthfeel or flavor. The balance is off. The only thing I can't fault is the price ($4!).

3.9/5  rDev -0.3%

22oz bottle into tulip snifter.

Pours what appears to be black, though when held to the light shows very deep brown, with dark ruby highlights. A bubbly, tan head that dissipates fairly quickly.

The aroma is quite interesting. . . spicey, earthy coffee notes.

The taste has more of the spicey, yet earthy coffee notes, and while still the main focus is not quite as dominant as in the aroma. Along with these notes are some chocolate and roast malt.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with slightly low, yet appropriate carbonation.

The coffee used in this definitely gives a very unique character that I have yet to experience in another beer. As mentioned below, not in the same category as some of the top-rated Imperial Stouts, but in my opinion very enjoyable and well brewed. I wouldn't expect this beer to be enjoyed by everyone, but I found it quite nice.

Cappuccino Stout from Lagunitas Brewing Company