Cappuccino Stout - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Cappuccino StoutCappuccino Stout

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.20% ABV

(Beer added by: GClarkage on 10-20-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cappuccino Stout Alström Bros
3.95/5  rDev +1%

A: It pours out dark brown, with a very small tan head. It's probably only about a third of my thumb width. The head goes away very fast, leaving nothing but a tan ring. There is some lacing on the glass.

S: I get a huge nose of chocolate from this beer. It smells a bit like chocolate milk. The beer is titled "cappuccino stout" but I don't really pick up any coffee scent. There is a slight toasty scent in the back.

T: The flavor definitely brings out the coffee. I can taste it even more in the aftertaste. I get some roasted flavors, slight bitterness, coffee, light hints of chocolate, and I can even taste some of the hops in this.

M: The mouthfeel is really good. The beer is pretty smooth, but it has a light bite from the carbonation and bitterness. It starts out with a heavy body, but goes down with a medium body.

O: Overall I thought this was a very solid beer. It's not as up-front as say Southern Tier's Mokah, but it's still really good. I'd buy it again.

teromous, Dec 30, 2011

jriggins6, Dec 30, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +7.4%

22oz bottle poured into a Jackie O's snifter. Taken out of the fridge and I let it sit for about 20 mins before I opened it.

A. Dark brown,You can see through this when held up tp the light. 1 finger tan head,that disappears quickly.Minimal lacing a spot here and there.

S. Smells of coffee grinds,followed by milk chocolate and a hint of vanilla. Underlying is a small hint of dark fruit.

T. Pretty straight forward,big coffee notes followed by a hefty dose of chocolate. A small amount of roastyness in the end.

M. Medium to heavy feel,full body.Just the right amount of carbonation in my opinion,just enough to keep it lively. Semi sweet finish.

Overall this is right up my alley as coffee infused beers are my favorite! And that is exactly what this is.Very straight forward and to the point.

Marty30, Dec 30, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into my CBS glass. It poured pretty close to pitch black in color with a thin tan lacing scattered across the top of the beer and concentrating around the edges of the glass.

The aroma shows some roasty coffee flavors mixing with some creamy, malty and vanilla sweetness.

In the taste I get a creamy, smooth coffee presence right away. I get a little more roasty, bitter flavors up front with some sweeter, malty, vanilla notes coming through in the finish. Love the way everything comes together and how relatively balanced it feels.

The mouthfeel is about average for the style with carbonation being moderate. Overall I loved this beer and I can't believe it's taken me this long to try it. I loved how smooth and drinkable it was while also having so much flavor. The cappuccino flavors really stood out to me in it and helped give it a little something different in comparison to all the other coffee beers out there. The aroma didn't really impress me that much, but the taste really blew me away. At only $5 a bomber this is one I'm going to buy more of for sure.

billab914, Dec 30, 2011

Grebdioz, Dec 28, 2011

dwoolley1, Dec 28, 2011

Lantern, Dec 27, 2011
3.89/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured into a Corona Extra pint glass. No freshness date found.

A- Pours a black color that's almost opaque with a full two-finger off-white head that retains a good while and brings with it standard lacing.

S- Smells very hoppy for a stout but there's definitely a chocolate-covered caramel scent as well.

T- Has the signature Lagunitas hoppiness...but where's the cappuccino? There's a slight mocha taste but nothing like I'm used to with other coffee-flavored stouts. Just more of a standard roast quality that does go well with the bitterness of the hops but isn't as exciting as I was hoping. I will say the alcohol is superbly well-hidden.

M- Certainly a creamy mouthfeel I won't deny. Soft, silky medium carbonation plays its part in giving it that foamy cappuccino feel even if the taste doesn't fully deliver. Standard body for a stout.

O- Lagunitas certainly doesn't make bad beer, but this one isn't as amazing as their other offerings.

Immortale25, Dec 27, 2011

Beer21, Dec 23, 2011

bootsdomino, Dec 21, 2011

rsinomega, Dec 21, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +3.6%

Beer looks very light for a stout. I can see through the beer, not good. head was small. Some big bubbles rest on top of the brown liquid. hm unimpressive, but not terrible.

Smell is well balanced, and nothing stands out. Cappuccino is in there. I smell hints of coffee, creamer, and vanilla. I do like how balanced and creamy it smells. Creaminess is accentuated by roasted malts and the vanilla rather nicely.

The taste is rather balanced, and focused on the malts, but too much. If the vanilla coffee cream and coffee were a bit stronger, this thing would be perfect. The malt and possibly coffee leaves a very astringent bitter feeling.

All that was initial, once your palate accustomed to the bitterness, the creamy vanilla feeling really shines. The roasty, slightly smoked malts come through nicely, in spite of the sweetness from the creamer.

Medium body, but the accentuating flavors leave a slick feeling that makes the not so heavy body ok.

VncentLIFE, Dec 21, 2011