Cappuccino Stout - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Cappuccino StoutCappuccino Stout

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.20% ABV

(Beer added by: GClarkage on 10-20-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cappuccino Stout Alström Bros
3.6/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from their bomber...

Appearance - Pours about a finger of tan mocha head which quickly dissipates to a cap, color of the beer is a translucent deep red cherrywood.

Smell - Dark roast coffee, dark fruits, molasses, touch of dark chocolate and soy sauce.

Taste - Starts with semisweet dark coffee and dark fruits with a touch of amaretto & cherry, at the back I get semisweet dark chocolate and a touch of sour plum peel, finishes with dark fruit pits, coffee grounds and toasted pumpernickel crust. There is a semi-sweet coffee backbone throughout the entire sip. The 9% ABV is completely hidden.

Mouthfeel - This is a nearly medium bodied beer that is lightened a bit by medium carb. The carb provides tingle and some cleansing at the end of the sip, it also ushers in the slight sour/dry finish.

Overall - These are really good flavors here, the balance and complexity here are nice, but it just all seems a bit lighter than it should for a 9% Imperial Stout, I expected bigger and bolder flavors here. The biggest coffee presence is actually experienced between sips, there is definitely a black coffee aftertaste going on. Glad I tried this, and I love Lagunitas offerings, but this may be my least favored so far. I like it, just don't love it.

3.95/5  rDev +1%

P-Dont know what the dog on the label is about but...ok.

A-Semi black, ive seen darker. Got a decent amount of head. About a finer. Looks solid and and rustic.

S-Well it smells like chocolate and vanilla coffee. Little stints of toffee as well. Has a nice dark esspresso smell.

T-Lots of dark chocolate and coffee. Get like an italion dark bold coffee bean flavor. The sweetness comes out towards the end. Somewhat of a vanilla. Little bit of smoke in there but nothing big.

M-Probably a medium bodied beer. Not to heavy. Has a dry finish and leaves a stale palate. Carbonation is good and high. Lots of flavors and good.

O-Good beer, nothing super special. Could be good with some aging. Wish the flavors would stand out a little more. Overall pretty decent.

3.83/5  rDev -2%

I had this in between 2 very tough beers to compete with Mikkeller beek geek B-fast and Founders B-fast Stout and the two biggest gripes I had in comparison were sweetness and mouthfeel. It pour on the slightly flat side, but did not feel flat at all. It felt a but watery especially for a near 9% beer. It was sweeter than the other two coffee stouts and the coffee flavor was weakest of the trio. It was too crisp for me. Maybe if I added sugar and half n half this might be a delicious frappuccino.

22oz bottle to goblet.

Pours a dark cola color with ruby highlights. 1 finger head dissipates quickly and leaves a really nice heavy lacing behind.

This brew has a strong aroma. I can smell it while it's on the table way before I bring it up to my nose. Smells like a really good cappuccino I'd get from a legit coffee shop.

Tastes exactly like it smells. Very strong coffee flavor right off tha rip. I pickup some dark fruit midway through. Finishes with a very light refreshing bitterness. This is a really good coffee stout!

Mouthfeel is a little thin for a stout of this caliber but I really think it suits this beer well. When I think about it a little more I begin to realize the mouthfeel is perfect on this one when all things are considered.

I can't say enough about this beer. I'm a huge coffee drinker, it's the only thing I drink besides beer, so to me this is a big friggin treat. If you are into coffee stouts or are into coffee and into beer you need to try this. It's well balanced and very easy to drink for a 9% brew. You don't need to meditate with this one in your mouth to pickup the highlighted flavor. I'd like to try the actual coffee they made this with. It would probably be one of the best cups I've ever had. Oh yeah, the price point on this is really good. I feel like I won when I bought this. Big daddy chuck would love this shit.

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

Appearance is almost perfect for me, if it wasn't for the lack of a head. The beer is quite dark with highlights of a hybrid ruby/purple. The head, while there, was a nice mocha color. Lacing is nice.

On the aroma I defiantly pick up a sweet coffee aroma. Its the strongest thing there and drowns out anything else - if there is anything else.

Big roast goodness on the palate here! It really does taste like an iced alcoholic cappuccino. Thats all there is to say about it, it's delicious.

Carbonation is solid in this one, it's on the high end, but it's still in the moderate range. This is a bold, thick beer, coats the palate with residual sweetness.

Highly drinkable for almost 9%abv! I don't even realize that the bottle was half gone!

3.3/5  rDev -15.6%

This is my first time rating, the motivator being disappointment. This beer did not live up to expectations. I’ll try to build my expertise and provide greater detail in the future. However, for now I’ll describe the front-end taste as being ok with a nice coffee hint. However, the finish just had something off about it, which I just can’t put my finger on.

3.43/5  rDev -12.3%

Poured aggressive into a 20 oz Duvel tulip glass. Pours a dark brown, with some light penetration. Big 3 inch tan head, that slowly settles, into a layer of bubbles with plenty of lace. Smell French vanilla coffee, toffee, brown sugar, and molasses, lacking a roastyness that I love in my stouts. Taste is creamy, much more my style than the smell. Coffee is more assertive in taste and much more real, the smell seemed like it was made from abstract. Body is a tad thin, nice carbonation, very drinkable, and lush not dry. This is a good stout, was hoping for more.

4.43/5  rDev +13.3%

From a 22 ounce bottle with no freshness date. Poured into a Samuel Smith pint glass.

A: Deep clear garnet through the light, almost opaque. Thin tan head quickly dissipates with a little coating left on top.

S: Sweet mocha and coffee, I wish it were just a tad stronger but this smells great, exactly what I expected from the name.

T: A lot of coffee notes, upfront through to the end with hints of cocoa. There's a slight bitterness throughout, but it's masked well by the mellow sweetness here. This is delicious.

M: Thick with good fizzy carbonation.

O: The price is right and the taste is spot on with the name. I enjoy this a lot, it's definitely a beer for coffee drinkers. I highly recommend this.

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%