Cappuccino Stout - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Cappuccino StoutCappuccino Stout

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.20% ABV

(Beer added by: GClarkage on 10-20-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cappuccino Stout Alström Bros
Buddha22

Vermont

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

A: Almost completely black with a red tinge. A little tan head when poured that resided quickly and completely disappears.

S: Took a while to get a decent smell from the glass, dont think it was washed that well. But definitely a expresso aroma that is decent.

T: Is a pretty flavorful stout. Get some chocolate and coffee flavors.

D: Very drinkable thats why I am moving on to my second.

02-03-2011 22:55:33 | More by Buddha22
rdilauro

Connecticut

3.7/5  rDev -5.1%

I am a lover of stouts and I love espresso and cappuccino.
The pour was outstanding, dark and rich with a nice golden almost brownish head.
It was easy to pick up the aroma of coffee in this one. My first sip and I thought it was a bit unbalanced. Too much espresso coffee tasting. That seemed to overpower the actual beer.
However after the second and third sip, I started to enjoy this more and more.
When we were tasting this one, we also had a side by side taste comparison with a Chocolate Stout. It was almost unfair to taste this together.
At the end, I did enjoy this Cappuccino Stout. Not at the top of my list, but something you need to try

02-03-2011 16:15:05 | More by rdilauro
bum732

Lesotho

S: Bold coffee, lots of fruit, coffee oil, some cocoa.

L: Very dark brown, tan head that dissipates.

T: Sweet coffee malt with a dark chocolate finish. Some slight fruity bitterness. Touch of sweetness in the finish with roastiness. Somewhat sweet.

M: Medium bodied, medium-low carbonation.

Really enjoyed this beer, could barely detect the alcohol. Coffee was pretty solid, but there were some off notes that i detected. I'd be curious as how they added the coffee in this beer.

02-03-2011 04:30:21 | More by bum732
StonyB

4.15/5  rDev +6.4%

Hi, neighbor. How are you today? Welcome to StonyB's neighborhood.

Today we have a very special guest. His name is Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout. Can you say "Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout"? I knew you could!

Mr. Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout is a BEER, or more specifically an American Double/Imperial Stout. So when you drink him, please do so slowly, and in moderation. Otherwise your head and your tummy may feel icky the next day.

Okay, here he comes now. He's dressed as a 22 ounce bottle that has a cute little doggy on the label. The label also says this beer is brewed with coffee. That's even better than Frosted Flakes on a Saturday morning, kids.

Now since we don't want to pour the entire bottle, here's a helpful hint. Kids, get yourself one of those wine or bottle stoppers; they cost less than your weekly allowance. Then, when you're not sharing a 22 ounce bomber (of course, sharing is GOOD), you can serve yourself half, and save the rest for the next day. You're welcome.

My that Mr. Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout is a handsome fellow. He's kinda cloudy brown with red tinges, just like chocolate ice cream with cherry syrup. Doesn't that sound good, kids? He doesn't have much of a head on top, but neither does Grandpa, so that's okay.

Of course, you really have to smell our guest to get a better idea of what he's like. It's okay, don't be shy. Mmm. See what I mean? He smells like chocolate milk, and mild coffee, and cherry-like fruit, and maybe some of that strong alcohol stuff that's in beer. Makes you want to grab a straw and start drinking him, doesn't it?

My goodness boys and girls, what do we have here? Mr. Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout is definitely truth in advertising. Are you as impressed if not slightly overwhelmed by the strong, roasty cappuccino flavor up front? I knew you were! There's also some bitter chocolate, but there's a sweet lactose (that's milk, kids) finish that is nice and balancing. Have you ever eaten a chocolate-covered espresso bean? It's a lot like that, except here the espresso is on the outside and the chocolate is on the inside. And that's okay. It's okay to be different.

Do you children know what "mouthfeel" means? If not, go ask your parents. I know your Mom and Dad really like it when you ask them lots of questions. Anyway, our new friend has a moderately creamy texture, has just enough carbonation, and like we said, has a great and yummy finish. You just want to keep putting this stuff in your mouth, right? Yep.

It looks like Mr. Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout is getting ready to leave. Let's all say goodbye to him, boys and girls. Goodbye, Mr. Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout! Thanks for coming over!

Okay, now that he's gone, do you think we should invite him over again soon? Yes? I agree. Although he is a strong beer, with an 8.8% ABV listed on the label (ABV means Alcohol By Volume, go ask your teacher about that), he is very pleasant to drink and has a bold, interesting character. I don't think he's going to become a regular cast member of StonyB's neighborhood, but Mr. Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout is certainly welcome back as a frequent guest. I recommend that you invite him into your home. And when you do, tell him StonyB says "Hello."

Good day, neighbor.

02-03-2011 01:39:41 | More by StonyB
GallowsThief

4.43/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured out of a 22 oz. into my Duvel tulip.

A - Nice black pour with a two inch creamy brown head. Leaves a nice layer of lacing all down the glass.

S - Obviously has a great coffee and mocha smell. Hints of a chocolate and just a bit of sweetness.

T - Umm good flavor with what you would expect with the coffee and mocha tastes. Has just a tiny bit of bitter flavor but almost unnoticeable. Ends off with a slightly sweet flavor and what taste like vanilla cream. Really nice. The slightest taste of alcohol finishes well.

M - It's a wonderfully creamy tasting stout. Feels velvety smooth and leaves a nice coating. Full bodied.

D - Extremely. This is a crazy drinkable stout for and ABV of 9 plus.

02-03-2011 00:05:03 | More by GallowsThief
afrokaze

3.68/5  rDev -5.6%

A: Pours a deep dark brown with a hint of red. Body isn't too thick, and about 1 finger of foamy tan head fades pretty quickly with some lacing.

S: A rush of roasted malt, followed by a coffee nose that wasn't as strong as I'd expected. Notes of dark chocolate, caramel, toffee

T: Surprisingly, the immediate taste is almost all roasted malt, with the coffee kick coming on strong in the aftertaste. The coffee taste is full and bold, and comes out more as the beer warms. Finishes just slightly too sweet sweet with some hints of dark chocolate, toffee and caramel.

M: Thinner than expected, but it makes this more drinkable than a regular stout, especially at almost 9% ABV.

D: Nice and smooth, the alcohol is present but definitely drinks below its weight. Doesn't fill me up like the stouts I'm used to, which is nice for a change.

01-31-2011 19:56:55 | More by afrokaze
katybee

Oregon

3.7/5  rDev -5.1%

I tried this before on draft in a pub, and am sorry to say it doesn't live up to my first impression, which was quite good, although it was also on the same nite I sampled Rogue's hazelnut brown nectar, and maybe that shifted my tastebuds. Tonight's tasting followed a sample of doppelbock and it's sweetness might have biased me. But I can't taste the capuccino!

Overall I'm impressed by many Lagunitas varieties. This is definitely nice...clear cola brown with 1/2" tan head, quickly disipating, but with residual lacing which is nice to see. Very little smell, if anything lightly malty. The taste is balanced...first pour cold, the light bite of hops struck me, more pungent than I remembered. But as it warmed a little open, the sweetness came on, and very light creaminess on the tongue. But overall, malts with light carmelization and sense of breadiness prevails. Pleasant, but more pungent than a flat stout, (although no hef citrus) and I have no sense of coffee or cappuccino. Light aftertaste, slightly bitter hops. Light to medium, smooth body.

Very drinkable, reliable flavor. A sippable session beer can stand on its own.

01-31-2011 07:21:05 | More by katybee
4DAloveofSTOUT

3.48/5  rDev -10.8%

Appearance: translucent black letting some light through. Thin white head after aggressive pour into snifter.

Smell: Roasty coffee.

Taste: Coffee & Roasty flavors are prominent. Thats preety much it here.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth for 8% probably the best part of this beer.

Drinkability: Doesn't feel heavy at all.

Overall: i was excepting more of a cappuccino sweetness from this beer. So i was dissapointed. Still a tasty beer for those who love coffee stouts, lacking complexity to me. Maybe they could rename it coffee stout.

01-31-2011 01:46:04 | More by 4DAloveofSTOUT
JizackFH

3.8/5  rDev -2.6%

Had this on-tap tonight at Sunswick 35/35 in Astoria, NY. Reviewed from notes taken while at the bar.

A - This beer pours a very dark brown color. It has a light tan head, that left great lacing on the glass as it fell.

S - It smells of dark roasted malts and coffee. There are also notes of chocolate, toffee, and caramel.

T - The taste is of roasted malts, and it has a big coffee presence. There are notes of caramel, toffee, chocolate, and brown sugar. There is a slight alcohol presence, but it's hidden very well for being 9.2%. The finish is roasty, bitter, and has a lingering coffee flavor.

M - It has a medium body and moderate carbonation. It goes down smooth, but I wish the body was a little more full.

D - The drinkability is good. Its great tasting and easy to drink. Its a good beer for the winter time. I think it would be much better though if it had more body to it. Overall, I think this is a good beer, and I'd try it again.

01-30-2011 12:25:24 | More by JizackFH
Blanco

2.5/5  rDev -35.9%

pours a very, very dark brown. almost but not quite black with a very weak light brown head.

smell is heavy on the malt and light on the coffee, I can barely pick it up.

taste has a bit more of the coffee, but still fairly weak for a "cappuccino" stout, although it's definitely stronger in the finish and the after taste. Hints of milk, perhaps lactose?

mouthfeel is thinner than I'd like but has a nice silkiness reminiscent of an oatmeal stout.

Overall, this one falls a little short of most coffee stouts, and I LOVE coffee stouts. While still tasty, the mouthfeel was a bit thin, the coffee was a bit weak, the color a bit light, the head fades easily. It seems like everything is decent, but falls short.

edit: after drinking more of this beer from the bottle, I can't finish it. The things that seem off, intensify as you drink more of it and I just didn't enjoy it anymore.

01-29-2011 02:53:47 | More by Blanco
gskitt

3.98/5  rDev +2.1%

Shared with my Pop. Pours a shade or two lighter than black, has some mahogany edges. Head was two fingers thick and lasted for some time. Interestingly enough, did not have a huge aroma, really subdued. I expected a big coffee presence. Taste was huge however. Big cappuccino up front, with a little char, just enough sweetness and some bitter notes at the end. Mouthfeel was a bit thin for this style. This stout hides the 9% rather nicely making this a drinkable beer. Thumbs up!

01-29-2011 01:27:15 | More by gskitt
CuttDeez

3.9/5  rDev 0%

A- Great color of this beer. Deep brown with amber notes when the light hits it. Just what you expect out of a stout. I am not sure why(because I had it at the right temp) but not much head on this pour.
S- Nose was good, but I wanted more cappuccino notes.
T- Increadibly thin and light for a 8.8% stout. I was also searching for some more cappuccino flavor. I wanted a deeper flavor out of this beer.
M- Good mouthfeel for a stout. Like I said earlier it was lighter than expected and this made it pleasant in my mind.
D- Drinkability is high. This is both good and bad. I expected more of this cappuccino stout in terms of depth and flavor, but in retrospect it was nice, smooth, and easy. I would have one again, but would not pay a premium.

01-28-2011 01:52:55 | More by CuttDeez
JackieTH

3.33/5  rDev -14.6%

Appearance: Dark brown, opaque a bit flat appearing with a small amount of tan head.

Smell: A bit of coffee and lactose, malty and caramel. There's definitely all the right notes for a cappuccino.

Taste: A bit of a let down after such a nice nose. Weak coffee flavor with some light brown sugar, toffee and milk. Slightly chocolately and roasted malt. Very subtle bitterness lends a bit of balance, but overall it's a bit sweet, and too light.

Mouthfeel: Medium, but too thin.

Drinkability: It wasn't hard to drink, but not something I feel a need to repeat. It smells good.

01-27-2011 02:09:07 | More by JackieTH
velosuds

Oregon

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a clear pint glass. Paid $3.99 at Capital Market.

A-Pours a dark brown with reddish tones and a two finger, creamy tan head with good retention and ample lacing. Color is a little light.

S-Where's the coffee? Not in the nose at least. I love coffee stouts, but this brew's aroma is disappointingly lacking. About all I get is some faint roastiness and alcohol.

T-Too weak for style. Not enough sweet, creamy malt presence. There is some coffee, but not the more complex flavors normally present. More like a porter, and the alcohol content at 8.8% ABV was too cloying given the weakness of other characteristics.

M-Is a real disappointment. Thankfully this is a limited release I won't see if for long. Much too thin, and it is also astringent. Odd.

D-This is not a bad beer. And, it did provide the needed relief from a very discouraging day at work. But, it is not remarkable in any appreciable way, except good ABV for the money.

01-26-2011 03:06:51 | More by velosuds
irischmatt

2.68/5  rDev -31.3%

Everything about this beer is thin. It appears much thinner than even a "regular" stout, let alone an 8.8 percent stout. It looks almost like a brown ale rather than a stout. The smell is truly the best part of the beer. It smells thinly of cappucino and generic malt, however the cappucino/coffee aroma is strong enough to make the smell generally pleasant. The problem with the taste of this beer is that all of it's flavors are too weak. Stronger taste of roast/malt, hops, or coffee/cappucino would make this a much better example of a strong coffee stout. As it stands, all three of these major style flavors come across evenly and weakly. Because of weak flavor, thin mouthfeel, and boring taste, this is a barely drinkable beer.

01-25-2011 06:50:46 | More by irischmatt
Axic10

3.7/5  rDev -5.1%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a dark brownish red with a finger of khaki head. Just doesn't look like a stout to me when I look at it because of the color.

Smell: A pretty nice coffee and cream aroma mixed with chocolate, toffee and molasses.

Taste: Creamy coffee, chocolate, toffee, and brown sugar. Quite nice.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied and thin. Takes away a lot from the experience of this beer.

Drinkability: I'm kinda of dumbfounded by this beer. Call it am imperial coffee brown ale and I'll bump up my appearance and mouthfeel on this one. Overall at $5 not a bad beer, but the mouthfeel just makes it a bleh beer. Would try again, as the nose and taste were really good.

01-25-2011 03:43:25 | More by Axic10
HosP

Indiana

3.6/5  rDev -7.7%

Bought for some friends and they graciously shared with me.

A -Pours thin dark brown. Light creeps in from the sides. Small tan head sits on top.

S - Lots of coffee in the smell. Dominate any other aromas that try to creep out. Hints of caramel and roasted malts noted.

T - Again the coffee flavor dominates this stout. Once you get by the coffee flavor, some slight bitter chocolate and cream flavors come through. Burnt coffee flavors leaves a slightly bad aftertaste.

M - Medium body with moderate carbonation. Much thinner for what I expected or wanted.

D - It was a drinkable beer, but one I doubt I'll pick up especially as a gift. A little to much coffee flavor, but what should I expect from a cappuccino stout. Just not my thing I guess.

01-25-2011 03:36:45 | More by HosP
yeahnatenelson

3.53/5  rDev -9.5%

Appearance -- Pours a translucent chestnut hue with a slim sudsy beige head. Not much for head retention, though some lacing is present. Looks a bit thin.

Smell -- Coffee, pine boughs, orange zest, dark fruit, molasses, dark brown sugar, and cocoa. Interesting, lots of depth.

Taste -- Coffee with cream, cocoa, toffee, dark fruit, berry. Hop bitterness is pretty significant for a stout, and in the Lagunitas mold: resiny, citrusy, slightly dank and leafy. Lingering flavors of coffee and citrus zest.

Mouthfeel -- Light-bodied - thin, frankly - with moderate carbonation. Bubbles are on point, though the body needs a bump or three. Not thrilling, but not offensive.

Drinkability -- For a coffee-infused stout, this manages to stand apart from the crowd: no small feat. The lighter body and classic Lagunitas hop profile give this some serious personality in an overcrowded niche. That said, It's not my favorite. However, this still proves that a bomber of Lagunitas is always a good bet.

01-24-2011 03:46:09 | More by yeahnatenelson
Chincino

3.93/5  rDev +0.8%

I decided to buy this beer because I generally really enjoy beers from Lagunitas. I had tried a few Lagunitas beers during a trip to San Francisco so I decided to try this one.

I shared this beer with a friend recently and it poured a dark amber color which you could see through.

The carbonation was medium and the alcohol was well-hidden with this beer. The aroma was strong of coffee/espresso with also some chocolate in the mix.

Good drinkability. All around a decent beer, but not on my list of favorites.

Cheers!

01-24-2011 03:35:42 | More by Chincino
gfreed

2.3/5  rDev -41%

On tap at Cambridge Common. I was hoping for a big, warm Something to finish off a meal on a frigid Sunday night, something that would launch me into my work week in a happy, malty mood. Alas, I should have known better to go with Lagunitas, a West-coast brewery that invests more in label copy than beer. Although a suitable color for a stout, it's got very little aroma beyond some light chocolate and a peas. The taste is loaded-- *loaded*-- with old coffee grounds. Not even good coffee grounds, but the kind from the Bunn-O-Matic you used to operate in your high-school job at a Ponderosa Steak House; the kind that have been sitting around for hours, drying out and getting sour. Also making a cameo appearance is... lettuce. Unless that's a flavor you value in beer, pass on this one.

01-24-2011 02:10:13 | More by gfreed
kinupanda

3.95/5  rDev +1.3%

The snifter pour is a dark reddish-black that is moderately opaque. A thin, foamy head that dissipates rapidly, yet still allows for a little bit of lacing. The nose is, perhaps obviously, a sweet fresh-ground coffee aroma. The taste is a good combination of bitter and sweet coffee flavors, possibly some cacao, with some earthiness. The high ABV is almost unnoticeable. The mouthfeel is actually very smooth (possibly too smooth for a stout) and finishes almost clean, much like a well-made dark coffee would be (if it had alcohol and carbonation, that is).

FourthBeer potential: ABOVE AVERAGE. The similarity to coffee could make this a good closer, but the hidden alcohol might make that a bad idea, and there are certainly more complex stouts out there.

01-23-2011 21:14:18 | More by kinupanda
WildTurkey

2.93/5  rDev -24.9%

Dark brown, with slight ruby color. Not opaque. Light is visible straight through. Very light for a stout. No Head at all. A bit disappointing.

Big roasted coffee in the nose, and lots of molasses. Tons of coffee flavor. Has a slight off flavor. Very watery mouthfeel. Lite body

Big on coffee but not a very good stout. I like my stouts pitch black and thick as motor oil. This one wasn't. Or maybe this is a bad bottle. . . .???

01-23-2011 12:35:47 | More by WildTurkey
ToAzwethinkweizm

Maryland

4.45/5  rDev +14.1%

Date: 22 January 2011
Glass: Sierra Nevada XXX snifter
Type: 22fl oz bottle

Poured semi-aggressively giving a royal 2-finger head, reduces to a strong 1-finger head, very impressive sticky lacing, color is basically black...can't see anything in the light. Aroma of perfectly roasted coffee, a touch of super dark chocolate, on a bed of dark malts. Taste of super fresh coffee, and maybe a touch of sweetness....not sure if lactose is in play here. This is the best balanced coffee-beer I've ever tasted by far. I love coffee black, and this is the beer version. Full of win.

01-23-2011 00:30:02 | More by ToAzwethinkweizm
bagpiper2005

Idaho

3.43/5  rDev -12.1%

Pour: Clear, dark reddish-brown. A finger and a half of tan head that dissipated pretty quickly down to a small ring. Minimal lacing on the glass.

Smell: Coffee through and through. Small hints of chocolate, vanilla, and alcohol.

Taste: One dimensional and sort of watered down. Milk chocolatey sweet front end with coffee bitterness in the back. Alcohol pretty well disguised. Not much else going on here.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with active carbonation. Definitely not the IS standard.

Drinkability: Well, it's very drinkable, I'll give it that. Drinkable to the point of being dangerous actually (due to the high ABV).

Final Notes: A very unimpressive Imperial Stout: light and somewhat watery. It would make a great session beer if they toned down the alcohol, but for the American IS style, it's just not there.

01-22-2011 18:16:19 | More by bagpiper2005
whatthehull

Poured into a New Belgium snifter

A - The color and carbonation like a porter, head subtle and pretty (no lacing)

S - Starbucks Pike's Place coffee and sweet imperial stout molasses.

T - Coffee up front, middle and end. Subtle molasses, chocolate and honey

M - Light, fluffy and not what I was expecting for this stout. Felt more like a porter, but heavy enough to stand up to excellent stouts

D - This is the Bud Light of stouts. I can recommend this to anyone who loves coffee or stouts. One of the better stouts I have had in a few weeks

Final thought - I was skeptical about this beer earlier today. Now I realize, this beer is great. Proof? Received 82 bottles at work today (I work at BevMo!) and at the end of the night had less than a case (12 bottles). If you haven't had this beer, try it.

(2011 vintage)