Cappuccino Stout - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Cappuccino StoutCappuccino Stout

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: GClarkage on 10-20-2004

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cappuccino Stout Alström Bros
4.15/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.12/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured aggressive into a 20 oz Duvel tulip glass. Pours a dark brown, with some light penetration. Big 3 inch tan head, that slowly settles, into a layer of bubbles with plenty of lace. Smell French vanilla coffee, toffee, brown sugar, and molasses, lacking a roastyness that I love in my stouts. Taste is creamy, much more my style than the smell. Coffee is more assertive in taste and much more real, the smell seemed like it was made from abstract. Body is a tad thin, nice carbonation, very drinkable, and lush not dry. This is a good stout.

4.4/5  rDev +12.2%

From a 22 ounce bottle with no freshness date. Poured into a Samuel Smith pint glass.

A: Deep clear garnet through the light, almost opaque. Thin tan head quickly dissipates with a little coating left on top.

S: Sweet mocha and coffee, I wish it were just a tad stronger but this smells great, exactly what I expected from the name.

T: A lot of coffee notes, upfront through to the end with hints of cocoa. There's a slight bitterness throughout, but it's masked well by the mellow sweetness here. This is delicious.

M: Thick with good fizzy carbonation.

O: The price is right and the taste is spot on with the name. I enjoy this a lot, it's definitely a beer for coffee drinkers. I highly recommend this.

3.25/5  rDev -17.1%

3.75/5  rDev -4.3%

A - Poured dark brown with a large, three-finger-width head that quickly settled to one finger-width and hung around.

S - I can definitely smell the presence of chocolate and coffee.

T - Great bitterness from the coffee...after swallowed, remnants of milk chocolate remain.

M - rich, pretty thick feeling

O - Not a bad beer...not the best, but I enjoyed it

4.35/5  rDev +11%

Pours a deep brown bordering on black with a thin lacing of dense, brown head that has decent retention. The nose is predominantly coffee. The flavor is heavy coffee up front with some notes of roasted malt and chocolate in the finish. There are some mild anise notes and a mild astringency in the finish. The mouthfeel is full bodied with light carbonation.

This is a rich, smooth stout with a solid, complex flavor. This is well worth the $5 that I paid for the bomber.

4.1/5  rDev +4.6%

22oz bottle. Funny as hell side label, as per usual - brag about what you can, I suppose.

This beer pours a clear (I think), deep, dark cola hue, with bright orange brick highlights, and two fingers of puffy, foamy, bubbly, and eventually creamy beige head, which leaves some bushy, craggy lace around the glass as it genially fades away.

It smells of rather bitter, earthy coffee (espresso, I guess), caramel malt, medium baker's chocolate, milky vanilla, and soft leafy, grassy hops. The taste is big on the milk chocolate sweetness up front, followed by some tangy cafe-au-lait, musty caramel, boozy vanilla, and bitter citrus, leafy, and earthy hops coming 'round for yet another palate thrashing.

The carbonation is moderate, just a softly trilling frothiness throughout, the body medium-full in weight, and smooth as a zippy cocoa and milk saturated cup of java can be, which is variable, yes, but I'm speaking from third-person generalities. It finishes still fairly sweet, the chocolate malt retaining the most vigor, with some relatively understated coffee, and a new-found, swirling alcohol warmth rounding things out.

My trepidation level was in the orange, at least, for this offering, when I considered this brewer's predilection for amping any and all shit up. Turns out, the coffee is just a nice side player, for a big, chocolaty, tempered booze beast of an American stout. An ironically good, stiff swig, before I go watch the Canadians put the Yanks out of their self-inflicted misery at the WJHC here in Edmonton, and then on to the Headstones' NYE 2012 show. Boo to the fuckin' ya!

3.94/5  rDev +0.5%

A: It pours out dark brown, with a very small tan head. It's probably only about a third of my thumb width. The head goes away very fast, leaving nothing but a tan ring. There is some lacing on the glass.

S: I get a huge nose of chocolate from this beer. It smells a bit like chocolate milk. The beer is titled "cappuccino stout" but I don't really pick up any coffee scent. There is a slight toasty scent in the back.

T: The flavor definitely brings out the coffee. I can taste it even more in the aftertaste. I get some roasted flavors, slight bitterness, coffee, light hints of chocolate, and I can even taste some of the hops in this.

M: The mouthfeel is really good. The beer is pretty smooth, but it has a light bite from the carbonation and bitterness. It starts out with a heavy body, but goes down with a medium body.

O: Overall I thought this was a very solid beer. It's not as up-front as say Southern Tier's Mokah, but it's still really good. I'd buy it again.

4.17/5  rDev +6.4%

22oz bottle poured into a Jackie O's snifter. Taken out of the fridge and I let it sit for about 20 mins before I opened it.

A. Dark brown,You can see through this when held up tp the light. 1 finger tan head,that disappears quickly.Minimal lacing a spot here and there.

S. Smells of coffee grinds,followed by milk chocolate and a hint of vanilla. Underlying is a small hint of dark fruit.

T. Pretty straight forward,big coffee notes followed by a hefty dose of chocolate. A small amount of roastyness in the end.

M. Medium to heavy feel,full body.Just the right amount of carbonation in my opinion,just enough to keep it lively. Semi sweet finish.

Overall this is right up my alley as coffee infused beers are my favorite! And that is exactly what this is.Very straight forward and to the point.

4.15/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22oz bottle into my CBS glass. It poured pretty close to pitch black in color with a thin tan lacing scattered across the top of the beer and concentrating around the edges of the glass.

The aroma shows some roasty coffee flavors mixing with some creamy, malty and vanilla sweetness.

In the taste I get a creamy, smooth coffee presence right away. I get a little more roasty, bitter flavors up front with some sweeter, malty, vanilla notes coming through in the finish. Love the way everything comes together and how relatively balanced it feels.

The mouthfeel is about average for the style with carbonation being moderate. Overall I loved this beer and I can't believe it's taken me this long to try it. I loved how smooth and drinkable it was while also having so much flavor. The cappuccino flavors really stood out to me in it and helped give it a little something different in comparison to all the other coffee beers out there. The aroma didn't really impress me that much, but the taste really blew me away. At only $5 a bomber this is one I'm going to buy more of for sure.

2.5/5  rDev -36.2%