Cappuccino Stout - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Cappuccino StoutCappuccino Stout

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.20% ABV

(Beer added by: GClarkage on 10-20-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cappuccino Stout Alström Bros
unclejimbay

D 3.0 - was just okay all around, not a standout in my opinion

02-21-2009 03:08:48 | More by unclejimbay
berserker256

3.68/5  rDev -5.6%

I got this 22 ounce bottle for $3.99. The ABV says 8.29%, however, and not 7.99%. It pours out very dark brown. Almost black. It churns up a pretty nice tannish and lasting thick head. It has a semi-sweet coffee and chocolate smell to it. The first impression with the taste is sweet coffee with roasted malted barley followed by a somewhat bitter aftertaste (similar to coffee) and a throat-warming alcohol sensation. It's got a nice thick creamy texture and moderate carbonation. Too heavy to drink in any quantity but this 22 ounce bottle is a great start to the beer drinking day.

02-18-2009 18:31:45 | More by berserker256
sophisticated

4.05/5  rDev +3.8%

Cappuccinos are 1/3 espresso, 1/3 milk, and 1/3 foam. So I expected this beer to be a little more special than a regular old coffee stout, but was afraid the I'd be disappointed.

However.

It was delicious. This 8.29% bomber kicked my butt with its deliciousness.

It poured black with slightly brown edges. It's tan head was not overly impressive but left a nice head. The smell was surprisingly not strong. A little sweet (malts), some coffee, but nothing very distinctive. So I was surprised for the very strong and pleasant taste. It packs a wallop! It tastes like a strong cold cup of coffee, with some milk and sugar, and perhaps some bittersweet dark chocolate. I think if someone were to smell my breath (which I will not subject them to) they'd think I was drinking coffee rather than a nice stout.The mouthfeel was creamy, if a little thin, and had great drinkability.

Truth be told, I have not had many coffee stouts, but I have had a few, and this one is definitely memorable.

02-18-2009 03:00:44 | More by sophisticated
beer2day

3.95/5  rDev +1.3%

Pours near black with a brown tint. Minimal head and very little lacing.

Nose is a tad weak for the beer's strong taste profile. There is an implied sweetness in the nose that doesn't come out on the tongue.

Initial hit delivers some caramel notes, but quickly turns to bitter chocolate, roast, and strong coffee. Mouth is a little on the thin side for the taste.

Drinks a lot easier than the 8% on the label.

02-17-2009 02:52:32 | More by beer2day
scifan

3.83/5  rDev -1.8%

Pours a dark brown with a small wispy head.
Not much on the nose. Small amount of caramel, roasted barley, and just a touch of coffee.
Taste is alot better than the nose. There's some nice sweetness too it, and some bitterness from the roasted barley and the coffee finally comes through. Alot more than the nose would imply. reminds me more of porter than a stout
Feels a tad thin for my liking. Nice carbonation.
It goes down real smooth I don't think I'll have a problem finishing this 22.

02-15-2009 04:29:53 | More by scifan
Riverwarrior

3.48/5  rDev -10.8%

S = Mostly a dry chocolate/cocoa aroma.

T = Dry cocoa upfront with caramel showing up near the end. Roasted malts were detectable, but not as much as I would have liked. Some coffee bitterness in the finish.

MF = Body was medium with carbonation somewhere between low and moderate. Creamy texture as well.

Overall, this was a decent, easy to drink stout, but not as sweet as the name would imply (or should I say as I was hoping). I would prefer more coffee characteristic.

02-14-2009 23:34:55 | More by Riverwarrior
roadhouse

3.35/5  rDev -14.1%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a pint glass.

Appearance is very light for a stout. It's actually lighter than some porters. It's a clear ruby red with a one inch cream colored head. Leaves some decent lacing.

Aroma is pretty good, coffee is pretty much the only thing that I am detecting though. Perhaps a bit of dark fruit and some sweetness.

Taste initially has some caramel and fruit qualities, but where has the coffee gone? It is nearly undetectable now and only vaguely shines through on the finish.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, but actually ends up feeling quite chewy with a very creamy carbonation.

This one is lacking what a stout needs, namely some roastiness! I'd take it over some other beers, but as a coffee beer, this one is somewhat of a failure.

02-13-2009 07:55:32 | More by roadhouse
PeprSprYoFace

3.55/5  rDev -9%

Have heard of this before, saw it and had to try it.

Pours a very dark brown but when held up to the light, it has a raspberry red color to it. Small head that dissapated fast with ok lacing.

Smells of black coffee and very bitter chocolate. Smell is ok.

Taste is very much of black coffee and some bitter chocolate. Little more bitter from the malts than I was hoping based on the name.

Mouthfeel is a little watery than I was hoping and I was expecting a little more creamyness. It's prett good on the carbonation though.

Drinkability is ok. I would have it again but not before trying something new if offered.

02-06-2009 06:06:12 | More by PeprSprYoFace
cvfish

Louisiana

A - Poured dark brown, with red highlights, that produced a tan head that retained ok and left a little lace around the glass

S - Good coffee/chocolate mix, subtle malts

T - Black coffee, roasted chocolate malts

M - Slight carbonation, with a moderate body

D - A good Imperial Stout that burst with coffee flavors, but doesn't offer a creamy mouthful like other stouts

02-03-2009 04:14:42 | More by cvfish
beveritt

3.98/5  rDev +2.1%

Presentation: Poured from a 22 oz brown bomber into an Imperial pint glass. Label is non glossy paper and shows a dog over the words "Cappuccino Stout." A parody of Psalm 13, this one written to coffee is on the side. I like the brewers already. My first Lagunitas beer. No clear freshness date. A twist off top! Wasn't expecting that.

Appearance: Pours with less than 1 finger of tan head. This settles quickly to essentially nothing, just a few sparse patches of foam. The beer itself is dark mahogany, but easy to see through, not even close to opaque. Uh oh. No sediment in the bottle.

Smell: Strong astringent coffee aroma with hints of bitter chocolate. Malt becomes more noticeable as the beer warms.

Taste: Sweet chocolate flavors upfront which immediately lead to a dark coffee flavor. Hints of vanilla and cherry, almost like this has seen a barrel or at least staves.

Mouthfeel: Lower than average carbonation, which is fine for the style. Body is very good.

Drinkability: More mild mannered than many coffee stouts out there, but still good. The higher ABV is hidden very well, making this a pleasant sipper. A decent showing from my first Lagunitas.

02-01-2009 04:06:09 | More by beveritt
Richardberg

3.63/5  rDev -6.9%

A: poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass. Medium head that dispersed with a little time. Color somewhere between dried blood and mahogany. Clearly not black even with bad lighting.

S: rich coffee, malts, and toffee; enticing

T: the coffee flavor is forward but not overpowering. Finished with a slightly sugary edge. Both good things...what it's missing is the depth and body of a stout.

M: smooth and dry but not creamy. Like a strong ale that's missing it's carbonation.

D: goes down easily and pleasantly. Not my favorite stout but worthy of a try. Would behappy for a 2nd...if you're buying :)

01-31-2009 01:35:11 | More by Richardberg
tjsprague

4.03/5  rDev +3.3%

This is one of my favorite stouts. I usually find most commercial stouts to be to thin for my liking.

This beer pours nice and dark with a chocolaty brown head. Little carbonation like a stout should be and just a small amount of head. The beer itself is dark and brown almost black.

The flavor is fantastic. The Cappuccino flavor comes out over the stout, you can tell that it is in there. It almost tastes like a thick iced coffee drink without being too sweet. I drink one of these for dessert. The stout is nice and thick and dark. Not bitter at all but lightly chocolate flavored. It has a nice mouth feel, velvety and think, slightly creamy.

I think this is one of the best stouts I have had on the market and I get excited every time I see it on the market.

01-26-2009 05:01:22 | More by tjsprague
melagnus

2.35/5  rDev -39.7%

A - Dark red hues, looks dense and not very opaque. Carbonation bubbles to the top.

S - Prevalent coffee scent. Dank hops; roasted malts.

T - Overwhelming coffee taste. Very bitter finish. Coffee was focus of stout and finishes off with a roasted coffee aftertaste.

M - Heavy and coarse. Lots of fizz!

D - Possibly was served too cold at pour, for it did become better with temp. Struck me as too intense for my palate and overwhelmed with coffee. I like coffee & I like beer, though the balance seems to be off with too much coffee flavor. A toffee-like finish is noticeable after several seconds. In addition to this, a coffee ground taste was prevalent. Not so drinkable in my opinion. The coffee used didn't seem to be of high quality and was very acidic. The bitterness might be more due to the coffee and its poor quality than from the hops utilized in brewing the beer. Though the beer balances out better with time, I still found it to be too overwhelmed by coffee and isn't something I would personally seek out again.

01-26-2009 03:54:34 | More by melagnus
AdmiralDiaz

3.38/5  rDev -13.3%

Bomber poured to pint glass.

A: One-finger off-white head on top of a dark brown head that pretty transparent, no opacity. The head has ok retention at best and leaves no lacing.

S: Very faint smell, all I can smell is some coffee and a bit of roasted malts, not too attractive.

T: Tastes much better than it smells. Roasted malts up-front along with some earthy taste, follows into a lactose coffee finish that lingers in the mouth.

Overall: I thought that it would have been hard to make a below-par Coffee Stout but I really didn't care for this one, on the plus side it was pretty cheap. Can't see myself trying this one again.

01-25-2009 18:25:55 | More by AdmiralDiaz
SykDoc

Wisconsin

3.95/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter. It poured quite light but settles into a dark reddish-brown, almost opaque when held to the light. A tan head forms to ~1/2 inch and recedes to a nice lacing.

I was a bit underwhelmed by the scent initially. The coffee and chocolate aroma is definitely present, but weaker than expected. Caramel notes are also present and it improves as it warms. With time, vanilla and alcohol notes also come out, as well as something I can't quite label.

The taste is quite caramelly with some healthy cappuccino notes that come next. A nice bitter chocolate taste lingers with a minimal coffee taste at the end.

Mouthfeel could have been just a bit thicker to me. The level of carbonation is good and a sticky dryness and sweet/bitterness lingers on the tongue.

Overall, I am getting more impressed with the beer as I drink it, as the first impression was a little weak. I would certainly have it again.

01-25-2009 01:17:45 | More by SykDoc
TheDoorman

2.88/5  rDev -26.2%

Pours dark brown with a purple hue, small head with minimal if any lacing. My first thought is that this is not what a stout should look like. Not black, some light cuts through the edges of the glass. I feel cheated right away. Aroma is a blend of simple dark malt and alcohol. One reviewer described it has cola syrup, and that sounds just about right. Palate is of day-old ale, some prune and post-marathon male genitalia, with a metallic finish. No hops to speak of, let alone any chocolate or coffee flavors. Body is medium-to-light. Did I mention this is supposed to be a stout? Alcohol present throughout,and it's not like this beer is 10+%, we're talking 8% here. An unbalanced beer in every respect. In any event, this beer is not a stout. So its deceptive advertising. Perhaps I would rate this beer differently if i were expecting an English Ale or Barleywine, but as Stout, this is a failure of a beer.

The only question left is if I will brave Lagunitas again. At what was I think $3.99 for a bomber, I'll probably give them a try on one more style.

01-23-2009 03:52:00 | More by TheDoorman
tavernjef

4.53/5  rDev +16.2%

Pours a dark root beer color to sit a deeper, darker mahogany but looks mostly black in dull light. Smallish capping of lightly tanned foam surfaces the top. Good amounts of lacing string and stretch across the glass.

Love this aroma as its got a nice display of very roasty coffee with caramel drizzled over whipped creamed. Actually, and amazingly enough, but not surprised due to its name, smells much like a cappuccino!There's some lovely notes to dark black cherry, toffee, vanilla, and fig. Its not super bountiful or a punch in face like other coffeeish beers I've wiffed, but its very nice and complexing on the nose none the less.

Taste is just as complex, however, seemingly a bit more Porter-esk then Stouty? But me likey...especially as it warms. Yummy, solid stuff! Soft, alluring tangyish front of slight roasted malts and a interesting mix of toffee tanged dates and figs noted with a bit of cinnamon. Middles out with a slide into well-rounded mildness of vanilla soaked roastyness. Stays fair and well established on the palate for a bit before it rebuilds its vanilla aspect a touch more before drying slightly with caramel leftovers, figgy sticking around the cheeks, and very lofty coffee notes dancing inbetween staying mostly tanged within a Doppelbock-like/Strong Ale broadness.

Feel is a solid medium and tanged in all sorts of dark malty goodness laced with coffee, toffee, vanilla notings. Quite unique and stands on its own as something quite different from some of the direct punch in face Dbl. Stout types.

This Cappuccino Stout by Laguntas reminds me of what an Imperial Porter and a good Doppelbock would be like if blended together to make one brew. Uniquely dark and tangy with a tinge of coffee and a wonderful presense of goodness and yummyness across the nose and palate. Down right drinkable to the point of that 8% catching ya off guard a bit. Nothing wrong with that if ya think you can handle another...

01-20-2009 02:28:53 | More by tavernjef
GreenCard

Oregon

4.08/5  rDev +4.6%

Appearance: dark mahogany with ruby highlights, mostly opaque, thick spongey layer of tan foam, good head retention, some lace

Aroma: cola syrup, cafetiere coffee, molasses, vanilla, almond extract, grain husks, oats, alcohol, hint of smoke

Flavor: medium syrupy sweetness with a molasses-sweetened coffee edge; hints of sherry, toasted hazelnuts, herbal hops, and Swedish Julmust (hard to explain what that tastes like, but buy some at IKEA during the Christmas season and you'll see what I mean); finishes semi-sweet with a chicory/coffee, rooty bitterness and acidity

Mouthfeel: full body, gentle carbonation, fairly smooth, some alcohol warmth

Other comments: A pretty good brew. Not sure how much coffee is in this, but hopefully it will not keep me up all night!

01-18-2009 01:27:07 | More by GreenCard
GrizzlyBrew

Georgia

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

I had been eyeing this one for a while and finally decided to give it a try after falling in love with Terrapin's Coffee Oatmeal Stout.

It poured out super "clear" (I don't know how else to describe it) and left a beautiful head. Although I should have left it to warm up, I couldn't wait! I dove right in with a big inhale and a overly eager gulp... where's the cappuccino?!?!? As I sipped my way through, I never really picked up on the coffee flavor I was hoping for, although what resulted was very pleasant.

A - Very "clean", producing nice head

S - Nice, hints of coffee at warmer temps

T - Again, nice IS with slight coffee at warmer temps

M - Actually lighter than I expected

D - Extremely easy on the palate

Bottom Line - a very drinkable, unique stout with a hint of coffee when allowed to warm to room temperature.

01-17-2009 08:56:12 | More by GrizzlyBrew
Bung

3.6/5  rDev -7.7%

Strangly light brownish pour with a cream head. Roasted aroma of coffee and some malt. Good roasted coffee with some mocha/chocolate. A bit medium bodied, but a pretty serious brew. Low carbonation but not creamy. Pretty straight forward coffee drink, but not really a stout. Not quite sure what to make of this, I feel like there is much unrealized potential here. Almost like they got lost in creating another strong ale forgetting this was supposed to be a stout. Ends up not being poor, but not what it should be.

01-15-2009 03:19:02 | More by Bung
TLove

District of Columbia

2.63/5  rDev -32.6%

One must say that the thought of drinking a cappuccino stout would elicit a strong, full-bodied, lusciously creamy beer. The Lagunitas Cappucino stout was none of these.

It pours a disappointing lukewarm brown color with a carbonated head and a watery look.

The smell was unconvincing. No extraordinarily strong flavor jumped out. Just weak.

The flavor, too, was weak. A little bit of light roast, a bit of light hoppiness, and a wannabe chocolate dash at the end. No spice and too much carbonation for the lack of flavor.

The mouthfeel was slightly better, with some of the smokey and light coffee flavors coming out in the mouth. However, a cappuccino doesnt taste like dunkin donuts coffee. Drinkability is average, but again, far too inamicable to finish like a real stout.

01-13-2009 04:34:38 | More by TLove
Mazeraski

4.4/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into an oversized wine glass.

A - Pours an inky black with a dark brown-edged tint, along with a thin light tan head that dissipates quickly and leaves a slight bit of lacing around the glass.

S - Roasted coffee beans and toasted malt hit the nose first, followed by hints of molasses and caramelized sugars.

T - A wave of bold coffee combined with the molasses wash over the tongue shortly followed by a general creaminess in concert with a small hit of hops. The coffee and molasses stay throughout the sip, with the creaminess leaving a very satisfying feel.

MF - Full-bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. One of the creamiest and smoothest stouts I've had since first tasting Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout.

D - Overall, the smoothness makes this quite drinkable, however, an ABV on the higher end as well as a slight heaviness on the stomach take the drinkability down a peg.

Notes - In general, I thoroughly enjoyed this brew, with it being only the 2nd beer I've sampled that comes close to Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout concerning the characteristics of smoothness and creaminess (Stone's Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout being the 1st). On the whole, a great brew that earned quite a bit of my respect for Lagunitas.

01-13-2009 01:47:10 | More by Mazeraski
DannyS

Served in a pint glass, poured from a bottle.

A - Powerfully black color with little or no head and barely any light coming through

S - Yeasty with black coffee and chocolate, great for a stout

T - Lots of dark chocolate and black coffee with a strong, yet quickly dissapating, bitter taste

M - thick and substantial, an appropriate feel for a stout.

D - One 22 oz. bottle with an 8% ABV is not conducive to continuous drinking. Would not recommend more than that.

Overall, a worthy choice for stout lovers and coffee lovers alike. It's quick to punch with bitterness, but it goes away quick enough to remain drinkable through the entire bottle.

01-11-2009 21:44:16 | More by DannyS
karlf

2.6/5  rDev -33.3%

I was really interested in trying to beer because I really enjoyed stouts and the cappuccino addition sounded good. So I gave it a shot because the bar i was at had it on tap. The pour was a very dark brown color. The smell had some interesting aspects such as a coffee and chocolate. Unfortunately once I started to drink the beer I felt it had a strange bitter after taste that I just could not get past. I also didnt really get the strong cappuccino flavor i was hoping for.

01-11-2009 18:12:43 | More by karlf
joerodiii

3.85/5  rDev -1.3%

The beer pours with 1/4 inch of head that rapidly disappears and leaves no lacing. This is probably the least black of any stout I have ever seen...it looks more like a schwarzbier.

I am finding the hops to be the predominant aroma with a bit of malty sweetness and a slight amount of chocolate.

The flavor is definitely a voyage. The first thing I taste is citrusy hops. One of the few cascade-haters, I was immediately turned off, but hey, 22 oz of beer to finish. As the beer works its way towards the back of the mouth, different flavors reveal themselves...some roastiness, some maltiness, and finally, a predominant coffee flavor. With each sip, the hops became less offensive to me, and I really started to enjoy this beer. It is oddly balanced, although not all at once.

The mouthfeel is not stouty at all; it's more like a brown ale. In fact, the entire beer should be called a cappucino brown.

As I finished this beer, I found myself wanting another.

01-10-2009 01:00:21 | More by joerodiii