Cappuccino Stout - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Cappuccino StoutCappuccino Stout

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.20% ABV

(Beer added by: GClarkage on 10-20-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cappuccino Stout Alström Bros
3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

Poured from 22oz bomber. No best-by date.

Dark brown, semi-translucent color. Basically the color of coffee. Large pillowy head actually reminds me of frape (greek style shaken ice coffee). Hint of coffee on the nose. Basically smells like beer with a little coffee aroma in the background. Taste is bittersweet like dark chocolate (more sweet than bitter). A bit of molasses. Stale coffee in background. Not a big fan of this. Although, strangely, I think this would make a good holiday beer.

jclovebrew, Nov 11, 2005
4.45/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On-tap at Cambridge Common.

Wow. I really liked this stout. The cappucino flavors were subtle but enticing. It didnt scream coffee, but left the smooth resonance of pure Columbian bullion. It was a dark brown with a minimal pearlish head. Sweetness hits immediately, followed by the coffee bitterness. It is perhaps a bit too sweet for a cappucino stout, but tasty nevertheless. I have to find some bottles of this!

This is hands down one of my favorite stouts.

Edit: I had no idea this beer was 8%! It masks the alcohol incredibly well.

Lnedrive14, Oct 29, 2005
4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

Quite an exceptional stout. Pours a dark black body with a creamy brown head, great lacing. Creamy, full bodied and thick. Full of chocolate and coffee flavours. Hides the alcohol very well. Finishes dry and bitter chocolate. One of the best stouts I've had on the west coast.

baiser, Oct 24, 2005
4.47/5  rDev +14.3%

The beer after its deportation from the 22-ounce brown bottle sets in the glass a soot black, the head tall and chocolate in color, the consistency creamy, as it slowly dissolves the lace forms a glutinous blanket to cover the glass. Nose is that of rich roasted coffee and bitter-sweet chocolate, hints of malt sweetness, nut-like tones also present, start is sweet and thickly malted, the top full. Finish is burnt coffee bitter, hops delectable in their spiciness, very dry with a modest acidity, a thick and tongue coating aftertaste last quite sometime, a fine stout that hits my beer spot.

Gusler, Oct 23, 2005
3.75/5  rDev -4.1%

22 oz bottle with no freshness date. Sampled alone and then with some gouda cheese.

Pours out dark brown with ruby hues.
Thick, creamy, long lasting espresso colored head.

Aroma is chocolate with roasted coffee underneath.

Flavor is slightly sweet, with creamy chocolate flavors and some bitter roast coffee. reminds me of a mocha frappachino.
Towards the end of the bottle it became a little too cloying, would be better served in a smaller format, or shared with a friend.

Cheese helped to cut down on the perception of sweetness and realy brought out the creamy chocolate flavor

Padron4KM, Oct 15, 2005
4.05/5  rDev +3.6%

Tall and creamy tan cappucino foam (looks delicate and thin from the side) cuts to a deep brown/black cherry body- appealing, for the most part. Nose is roasted coffee, brown earthiness, and some buried chocolate.

Nice and sweet up front, like a frapuccino - very chill. Follows with a shy bitterness, while the espresso notes are still jumping around the tongue. A bittersweet black coffee aftertaste begs you to take another sip. Lots of sweetness and creaminess. Dark chocolate and brown sugar. Develops a more concentrated sweetness as you let it sit. A fine Lagunitas offering.

grindcore666, Oct 10, 2005
4.13/5  rDev +5.6%

As I am pouring this beer I can see that it is a brilliantly clear deep brown color, as it sits in my glass though, it is an opaque deep black color. I manage to summon forth a three finger thick light brown head that is a mix between frothy bubbles and a creamy Meringue-consistency part. The head never entirely disappears, and in fact leaves layers of lace on the side of my glass as I work my way through this 22oz bottle. The aroma is somewhat light, but has a definite coffee liquor note to it. There are also notes of roasted grain, tar, leather, char, and a mix of chocolate and light vanilla notes. The aroma is nice and solid, but far too muted and subtle for me to really enjoy sticking my schnozz into.

This beer started out at a cool 50°F (10°C). The taste is sweet up front, and quickly becomes dominated by roast notes. The sweetness carries through to the finish, and helps serve as a foil for the astringent, drying roast flavors; almost like an espresso with sugar added, though not quite so roasted. This beer has a fairly good body to it, slightly mouth coating, and it too serves as a foil for the intense burnt notes. How to describe it; tar, charred leather, dark chocolate, sweet cream (do they add lactose to this?), espresso roast coffee (duh), and burnt toast. This is definitely a chewy beer, though not in a thick heavy way, though perhaps this is a slight negative as a beer with this much roast character could use a bit more in the way of a body.

As the beer warms up a bit it begins to get a bit fuller in the mouth, a bit more coating, and a bit more creamy in texture, and quite a bit richer. The body begins to gain that heft that I had been wishing for earlier; this beer definitely would benefit being served initially at about 56°F (13°C). Throughout the process of drinking this beer there is that backdrop of roasted character, which does dominate the flavor profile. This beer only gets better and better as I work my through it, as it warms up it becomes much more balanced and tasty.

Gueuzedude, Oct 03, 2005
4.4/5  rDev +12.5%

Appearance: A deep amber/brown with a manila/coffee-swirl head. Pretty small and loose, and only moderate retention. Some foam on the glasswall. Meh, I've seen better.

Smell: Roasty, obviously, with an intriguing mix of coffee and chocolate. Assertively hopped as well.

Flavor/Mouthfeel: Whoa. Bazooka blast of carmelized coffee -- much more intense than the scent would indicate. Chocolate (mild), fig sweetness, sugar sourness, but balanced against a dry blend of roasted malt, coffee acidity, and hop bite. Coffee burns into the nostrils; espresso lingers on forever. The mouthfeel is somewhat syrupy, but fairly light and crisp, especially for a beer this big.

Drinkability: Excellent. The coffee brings out the smooth sweetness and dark flavors of this stout beautifully. The coffee flavor might be a bit over-the-top for some, but I love it. Another good one from the fine folks at Lagunitas -- keep 'em coming!

WetCoaster, Sep 27, 2005
4.47/5  rDev +14.3%

Has a dark off brown color with an amber hue, minimal light brown head, and some carb action.

Has a molasses and some coffee malt smell with a citrus hops aroma.

Moderately sweet/acidic/bitter, molasses, coffee, some milk chocolate, and roasted almost burnt caramel malt taste with some spruce and citrus hops flavor.

Full bodied, dry slightly syrupy texture, soft almost flat carbonation, and a smooth minimal grapefruit/orange finish.

A session type of Stout, what a deal, well balanced with a smooth finish. Buy it while you can find it.

Troyone, Sep 26, 2005
3.83/5  rDev -2%

A nice surprise, many thanks to Skyhand for the oppurtunity!

Pours a rich black with a light brown head that refused to quit. Nose was quite bitter smelling, sort of surprising for a stout. Taste was very nice though, one of the better coffee stouts I've had. Lots of roast and even some good hoppiness to boot, quite well done. Mouthfeel was a bit thin though, more of a porter in that department honestly.

Worth seeking out.

Slàinte!

Gaisgeil, Aug 25, 2005
3.55/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

On tap at the Grey Lodge Pub.

Arrives a dark brown/black pour in a pint glass with no lace to speak of. Scents of light berry and some toffee rather than cappuccino, really. Flavors and aroma are intertwined. Medium bodied with a bit of lingering aftertaste.

Last swigs: One dimensional and worth a shot but not a Venti by far.

Beer is good. Happy beering.

blitheringidiot, Jul 27, 2005
4.13/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours a dark black brown, doesn't let much light in.

Nice big bubbled tan head, recedes into thin collar and leaves some lacing.

Smells of coffee and a light sourness.
Nice roasty malt flavor fades into hop bitterness that is just enough to balance. Lots of coffee on the exhale and overall well balanced and delicious.

Smooth creamy mouthfeel, carbonation just right, medium bodied.

Pretty drinkable considering the amount of flavor going on, I'll have another!
One of the better stouts,

beersarang, Apr 29, 2005
3.58/5  rDev -8.4%

Just asked for a medium house black with this one on 3/6/2005. 16-oz. pint at the [AC]PH.

Very thin, stock ticker crawl of bubbled sheeting with piling on the edges. Deep dark black hue. Difficult at first to pull out the bouquet, but eventually the coffee and blackstrap molasses notes pull through. Roasted coffee bean on the mouth and almost too sweet, perhaps from baker’s chocolate and acidic notes in combination; some charring. Wouldn’t have any more than one of these.

Truh, Mar 18, 2005
3.6/5  rDev -7.9%

Big thanks continue to go out to absolutesites for the chance to experience the Lagunitas brews.

Split this bomber with fellow BA bro cmaruschak.

Presentation: Funny "coffee lover's psalm" on the label. "...and I will dwell in the house of Cappuccino forever". Amen brother. Label also states that is was brewed with Sebastopol's own Hard Core Coffee.

Appearance: Too light. Very porter-like. Dark black in the middle but fading to clear ruby edges on the side. A small white cap forms that retains nicely throughout the session. This does not look menacing in the glass.

Smell: Chocolate and coffee billow out of the glass and smell wonderful. There is a nice bittering hop presence that finishes out the nose. Nicely blended and very inviting.

Taste: Like drinking cold coffee with cream. Nice blend of chocolate and cocoa powder with some carmel or buttery sweetness. Some roasty malts make for a good backbone to this one. The hop profile seems to embolden itself as it warms up.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and crisp. Despite the crispness it goes down very smooth. Leaves a nice drying but lingering finish.

Drinkability: Highly quaffable for me. Being a fan of coffee and stout, this is like slipping on a pair of old blue jeans for me. Still, for a stout it is on the light side and as long as I kept saying to myself "coffee porter" this was a pleasant experience.

Notes: I think there are other bigger and better examples of this style out there. That being said, this style is like pizza for me...I love all of them! If your not a fan of coffee and stouts stay away from this one. Thanks again to absolutesites for this good one!

mattcrill, Mar 12, 2005
3.68/5  rDev -5.9%

This poured a very deep burgundy brown color. Easy to mistake for opaque, but the clarity is noticeable when held up to the light. Nice wall of tan cream-like foam slides down the glass after the first sip. The aroma is rich with bubblegum/fruity notes. The taste is fruity, tangy with toffee and sweet with dark candy. Buttery and fruity sweet. Some butterscotch comes through in the aftertaste. A bitterness remains in the throat after the beer is gone. Overall, this is an interesting tasting stout – flavorful, but maybe not entirely my cup of tea.

pezoids, Feb 01, 2005
3.13/5  rDev -19.9%

Pours a deep brown with some maroonish hues. A small, light tan, quite foamy head sits aloft. Aromas of toasted malt with a sweet creaminess. Alcohol is notiacble, but not overpowering. Thick flavors of cream, chocolate and toasty malt. No cappuccino/coffee noticable, but adds to the milky texture. Coating mouthfeel, but not too heavy. Alcohol is well disguised. A pretty good beer, but nothing too exciting. The coffee component is not strong enough, IMO. The creamy texture is a nice diversion from those dry stouts. Give it a try if you find it, but no need to really hunt it out.

winomark, Jan 26, 2005

Milk chocolate brown. Murky, with a small, tan head. Nice lacing clings to the glass. Smells of light roasted coffee, vanilla, big sweet malts, and alcohol fumes. Light, toasty-singed bitterness up front. Big, chocolate malt sweetness comes on strong. Some vanilla/sweet cream. Roasted coffee bitterness leads into the finish, but sweetness dominates. Medium-bodied, syrupy feel, borderline cloying. Warming, alcoholic. Not as coffee-accented as I expected, but still a good after dinner/dessert beer.

alexgash, Jan 17, 2005
3.6/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sampled from a nice healthly bottle from Lagunitas into a straight sided American cheater pint.

Beer pours into the pint glass pitch black with almost no head/

Aroma is strong roast and a big load of coffee. Hiding on the side behind the coffee is a chocolate note that makes the beer smell like a roasted mocha.

Flavor is rich, chocolate type of base stout with a good medium sweet body leading into a a slightly coffish and acidic finish.

drewbage, Dec 29, 2004
4.35/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours an opaque dark brown with a creamy, tiny bubbled tan head. It got billowy as it fell with sparse lacing. A little light for a Stout.
Roasted sweet malt aroma. Coffee, chocolate and a bit of cherry.
Zingy bittersweet taste. Roasted malt, coffee, creamy milk chocolate and a hint of red fruit. Mild hop bitterness in the finish.
Light bodied with a rich, full and creamy mouthfeel. Soft carbonation.
In someways a little light for a Stout, but it had a nice flavor profile for something marketed as "cappuccino". Great drinkability.

rkhaze, Dec 24, 2004
3.6/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Ok, so I'm amongst the three-quarters of a million or so Seattle residents that find it difficult to get up in the morning without sucking down two or three cups of guiseppe before I head out the door for work. I'm interested in the Cappuccino Stout, as one of the finest stouts ever brewed by a large Seattle brewery was the Double Black Stout from Redhook (good stuff if you never had it). I've also had the pleasure of drinking the Grand Espresso Stout from the Steamworks Brewery in Vancouver, B.C. made with 1000 double shots of espresso.

****Editorial aside: I realize they are Canadian and all, and perhaps there's this whole metric thing going on, but wouldn't it have been simpler to say "2000 shots of espresso"?

Anyway, as I look back on my notes of that beer (tasted at the Great Canadian Beer Festival), the only thing I managed to scrawl down was "Cornholio" (Beavis and Butthead reference, if that isn't your thang). I was bouncing off the walls after that beer. Delicious coffee flavor coupled with a magnificent roasted barley nose and finish. Yow. That's my idea of a coffee stout.

So I'm up at Central Market in Poulsbo, staring at the beer. They've got Traquair House Ale, Alaskan Smoked Porter and the Lagunitas. Well, I've probably drank two half-barrels of the Alaskan all by myself over the last four years, so I decided to go with the Traquair (which I've never before seen in Kitsap County), and the Lagunitas, as I'm a huge fan of their IPA (and pretty much everything else they've ever brewed aside from the Brown Shugga). Suffice to say, I'm currently rethinking that strategery.

Appearance: Not as dark as I expect a stout to be. Truth be known, this pours more like a brown than a stout. There's an old Turkish proverb, that reads: "Coffee should be black as hell; strong as death, and sweet as love." I don't think I'm out of line expecting the same out of my coffee stout. I'm sad, as my favorite Petaluma brewery in all the world didn't deliver.

Nose: There really isn't one, to be frank. When I've got a coffee stout in hand, I want to smell one of three things: malt, roasted barley or a wee coffee scent. I'm getting none of these, and I've got one enormous freakin' nose.

Taste: Here's where I'm really confused. If I were to brew a brown ale, this is probably how it would taste. I don't like browns, as the sweet malt dominates everything, with no balance from hops or flavoring barleys or anything. This beer, on the other hand, takes that brown sweetness and throws in just a bit of roasted barley at the end to offset the sweetness. Also, and I'm assuming this is the influence of the coffee (because I don't taste any damn coffee), but the overwhelming flavor left in the mouth is one of brown sugar. This would actually be a fine dessert beer. With pecan pie, if I can bust out my can o' Charles Finkel on yo' ass.

Mouthfeel: Again, I'm disappointed. I want thick, rich and chocolatey. Ok, maybe not like Nestle Quik, but I want me some body. I want it to feel like a merlot (or how I would imagine Salma Hayek's pants would feel if they were liquid, and I were allowed to drink them. But I suppose that's a different story). This beer is definitely not Salma Hayek's pants. Again, the mouthfeel isn't quite right. I don't want to say it's thin, as that really is not accurate. But it isn't robust enough for me, and I keep checking around the bottom of the mug to make certain I didn't leave anything out.

Drinkability: Yeah, I could suck this bad boy down, bottle after bottle. It's not a bad beer by any stretch of the imagination, it's just not my idea of a stout. If someone were to hand me a pint and say, "Here's the best brown ale you'll ever have", I'd say "No, you're full of crap I hate brown ales (and I left the second comma out on purpose)." But they'd be right. Unfortunately for this mythical person who (if the knew me) should freakin' KNOW better, it's called a stout. Based on that, I have to say it's a disappointment.

Knuckles, Dec 20, 2004
4.45/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance – This limited release stout poured a dark brown in color with some nice ruby highlights and a modest head that showed good retention.

Smell – Oh, does this smell good. The roasted malts are very dark and form a solid base for this stout. The cappuccino aroma is solid espresso and creamy milk. Somebody’s already added some raw sugar to this one as well. Overall the bouquet is very big and open.

Taste – Wow, this tastes actually bigger than it smells. The cappuccino flavors are enormous here. Add to that the big, roasty malt base and you have one helluva stout. I can pick up some complex fruity notes as well.

Mouthfeel – This one is almost full in the body. It is thick, thick, thick, and give a really hard core bitter coffee flavor on the back of the tongue.

Drinkability – If you live in Seattle and go to Starbucks three times a day like a lot of us do, this is the stout for you.

RoyalT, Dec 15, 2004
4.4/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ahhhh... Cappuccino stout. What was it Drew Carey said about the combination of coffee and beer? "Makes me want to pee just thinking about it" or somesuch. Having had a few of the style, I'm more likely to start drooling myself.

This one starts out right, pouring quite black in color with a nice, moderately sized creamy head. Rich malt aromas tinged with coffee and bitter chocolate. Crikes that's appealing.

Enters the mouth with a heavenly smooththness and a nice full body. Like liquid silk. The flavor leans toward the sweet side at first, more milk-chocolatey than dark. Then the coffee flavor kicks in, and yields a lovely roasty, bitter finish. Big and full-flavored, and whatever the ABV of this brew is, it certainly didn't come off as obtrusive.

Each sip left me wanting another, and the bottle of the 22ozer came all too quickly for me. A really fine beer from a brewery which has done a lot to impress me. Their specialty brews are always something to watch for, and this one is no exception.

mzwolinski, Dec 15, 2004
3.53/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: opaque blackish-brown shot through with some ruby highlights. Ample creamy tan head and streaky lace.
Nose: uh, where's the coffee? Some really mild hints of coffee among the chocolate and torched grain aromas.
Taste: sweet initially with a lactose flavor that must be where they came up with the name Cappuccino stout. Unfortunately, the coffee taste is seriously muted, usurped by the flavors of roasted malts, semi-sweet chocolate and hints of dark fruit. Light metallic hops bitterness in the finish.
Feel: medium-bodied, creamy and smooth but with a slight watery edge.
Overall: maybe it's just me but they need to change the name on this one. Coffee flavor just wasn't very intense and the milk flavor gives it that bit of wateriness. I expected more.

Boilermaker88, Dec 08, 2004
3.75/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This looked like a fantastic beer so I had to pick it up, Lagunitas makes great beers. Pours a nice black stout but this one had brownish hints, not crude oil black like most specialty stouts, the smell was fantastic, cocoa beans with whipped cream and molasses, taste was suprisingly not coffee tasting, more of a metallic cocao butter with toffee and nut afterlings, not a bad beer but being a coffee nut I expected this to have more coffee flavor, you know since the name has Cappuccino right on it, oh well still a good beer.

beertaster13, Dec 05, 2004
4.35/5  rDev +11.3%

Pours a clear dark brown brew with red highlights when you hold it up to the light.

Smell is malty and well hoped with a bit of alcohol scent to it. Mild Kahlua like scent to this.

Taste is smooth with a mild coffee and chocolate flavor that is common to most stouts. Careful sipping brings out the hops in the beginning of the flavor on the tip of the tongue grapefruit with a dry bitterness. Bit of juicy fruit flavor to this too.

Mouthfeel is good.

Very drinkable stout, smooth without that annoying burnt taste they sometimes get.

Zorro, Dec 04, 2004