Lagunitas Imperial Red Ale - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Imperial Red AleLagunitas Imperial Red Ale

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.80% ABV

54.2 IBU

(Beer added by: Reidrover on 03-05-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Imperial Red Ale Alström Bros

Deep amber color with a nice off white head. Great clarity and garnet edges. Great looking beer. Nice resinous piney nose. Touch a citrus and grapefruit.

Much more subtle than expected which is nice. Very drinkable. Bit of a fruity hop bomb up front rounded out by bready and caramel Malts on the side of the tongue. Finishes smooth and slick. Amazing balance. Full body with good carbonation. Amazing combination of Malt and hops. Really well balanced and dangerously drinkable at 7.5. One of the best imperial reds I've had and so incredibly smooth. Not super complex but it doesnt have to be, it's just good. Just wish this beer was more readily available.

This beer is simply the best high abv session beer with amazing flavor i've ever had (I know high abv session beer doesnt make sense, but I could drink 6 of these easily, be drunk, and fall asleep happily)

Sitting down at Bridgewaters Pub, awaiting my return train from PHL to LNC, I happened to notice this as being on tap. I had never had it before and I am not normally a fan of red ales, imperial or otherwise, but I decided to give it a shot.

It had a deep tan head that was explosive with CO2 bubbles. Its appearance would have enabled it to pass the Nebraska clarity test and it was a deep-copper color to boot. The nose had a solid malty sweetness to it, which left me wodering if I was going to like it. The mouthfeel was medium with an unexpected hop presence in the mouth. Wow! My continued drinking revealed the malt that I had noted on the nose, but exceptionally well-balanced with the hops. The finish was where the malt really asserted itself. It created some great lacing, also. This was the kind of red ale that I can really get behind. I really did not envision myself saying that as a self-avowed hophead.

Not only was this a solid winner, it also served to reinforce my opinion of Lagunitas. I really like everything that they are doing and hope to visit during WHF2, Summer Tour 2007.

Lagunitas Imperial Red Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company