Lagunitas Imperial Red Ale - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Imperial Red AleLagunitas Imperial Red Ale

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.80% ABV

54.2 IBU

(Beer added by: Reidrover on 03-05-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Imperial Red Ale Alström Bros

1.15/5  rDev -72.1%

Perhaps I got a bad 6-pack/batch as I rarely trash a beer.

The very first taste & smell of this beer reminded me of gasoline and finished with diesel notes. I could only drink two out of the 6-pack before giving up.

I am very perplexed as to why my experience with this beer was radically different from other reviewers. I had other Lagunitas Brewery beers and have enjoyed them, not sure what happened with this one.

1.5/5  rDev -63.6%

1.72/5  rDev -58.3%

2.12/5  rDev -48.5%

2.13/5  rDev -48.3%

Pours a dark ruby red with a healthy head of foam which tantalizingly coats it. Looks great.

Smell is overtaken by a sugary sweetness, with sweet citrus hops. Reminiscent of other Lagunitas brews that are very sweet but lacking depth. Slight bready/biscuity aroma, but is covered by the cloyingly sweet smell.

Taste is intensely sweet--some hoppy bitter citrus makes an attempt to tame it, but fails and is lost in the overly sweet layers...

M- The carbonation keeps it from being too syrupy, but doesn't make up for the taste.

D: Incredibly sweet with no depth of flavour. This one was a big letdown. Drain pour after a few sips.

2.25/5  rDev -45.4%

2.45/5  rDev -40.5%

Well I have to go counter public opinion on this one. Way too hoppy and bitter. The hops over-power the beer in all aspects.

Poured a bottle of dark reddish brown with a thin head that quickly dissapated.

In the smell I could immediately smell the heavy malt, and Hops (Cascades I would guess). Both were very strong in the aroma.

Taste, for me is all in the balance. I got some hops in the aroma, hops up front with the malt, and heavy hop flavor and bitterness on the back end. Not a beer I enjoyed, nor would I drink again.

I know the hop heads may disagree, but I have had much better beers from Lagunitas.

2.53/5  rDev -38.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I poured this overly hopped beer into my tumbler at 50 degrees. The beer was a nice red color. The head poured was also pretty nice. The beer had a heck of a hoppy smell and indeed had a heck of a hoppy taste. Tasted like eating a blended Christmas tree. Had a decent malty after taste that would have been nice if the spruce flavor would not have annihilated it. I will not buy again.

2.75/5  rDev -33.3%

2.75/5  rDev -33.3%

2.8/5  rDev -32%

Bottled 25JAN12

Pours a brown red with a finger of lighter caramel foam and some nice grainy lace. Smells of rich malts and some herbal hops - atypical for Lagunitas's style, but welcome nonetheless. I like it as a traditional red ale. Medium sweetness countered with bitterness and some herbal notes juxtaposed with a slight bitter orange peel flavor. A little more bitter than I'd like. Medium bodied with moderate on hi carb and a dry finish. Decent beer, but nothing outstanding.

2.93/5  rDev -28.9%

Draft, consumed at Lucky Baldwin's in Pasadena on 12/03/07.

Dark, coppery color with modest carbonation and thin head. Aroma: grapefruit hops. Strong malt flavor initially that phases into strong grapefruit hop finish. Well balanced. Almost no aftertaste. Only problem was, when the beer warmed up a bit, it turned into pure hop juice as the malt flavor vanished. Ack!

Couldn't finish the pint.

2.93/5  rDev -28.9%

Deep reddish color, with a very inviting bright, fresh floral hop smell. Light beige head. Taste is as expected I'd guess, and is a "big" red ale. Quite well hopped, with a semi-strong rich lasting alcohol and hop aftertaste making it a bit difficult to drink. Not my preferred style, but good nonetheless.

Lagunitas Imperial Red Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company