Lagunitas Imperial Red Ale - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.80% ABV

Beer added by: Reidrover on 03-05-2005

54.2 IBU
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Imperial Red Ale Alström Bros
4.72/5  rDev +14.6%

3.5/5  rDev -15%

3.5/5  rDev -15%

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

3.6/5  rDev -12.6%

I normally base my beers off of my favorite from that style and go from there. This one is good, but not my favorite. Some might say I'm crazy but I think it could be a bit maltier. It's no where near as hoppy as green flash hop head red but I want a bit more sweetness. If I'm going to drink an amber ale I'd rather it not taste like an ipa with a touch of malt. The taste is decently bitter and it lingers more on the hoppy side. This beer is very easy to drink and quite tasty but it is not how I would represent the style. Overall a good beer that doesn't disappoint but doesn't wow me either.

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

I really enjoy the style and thought the beer was thoroughly enjoyable, especially considering the $4.65 price for a bomber.

4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

3.75/5  rDev -9%

This is often compared to Nugget Nectar, and I'm not sure why. Anyway, this brew has a great appearance--not an exceptional color, but a very nice, thick head and sticky lacing. The smell is unremarkable, but the taste is pretty nice. This is also highly drinkable, as the mouthfeel is spot-on for the style (whatever style you want to call this hybrid). Anyway, adding a lot of hops to an otherwise successful red ale just doesn't work--even though I love hops. I love the great bomber price, but the "Imperial" red ale falls short as the balance is lost and the style is compromised in an effort to appease hop-heads (including myself).

Lagunitas Imperial Red Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company