Brown Shugga' - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Beer added by: kbub6f on 12-13-2001

to view more.
Ratings: 4,963 | Reviews: 1,506
4.35/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This beer tastes like brown sugar, but good.

3.19/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Finally found some of this. Not the Sucks, the original...
Pours very easy n nice, almost a dark golden/amber not hazy look to it, with an all around head that lasts thru out also adequate lacing to boot. Smells of sugar beets, brown sugar, light hops and sweetness. Tastes almost like liquid candy. Tastes of Super sweet and a slight tartness with a bite of hops. Intoxicating yet light on your pallet, besides all the sugar lol. Ummm... alittle too sweet for me but as Lagunitas becoming one of my favourite brewer's I defintley respect what they have done here. Respect ☆☆☆

3.3/5  rDev -18.1%

Note to self, avoid any beer with brown sugar in it.

2.53/5  rDev -37.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Looks nice in the glass. Well-carbonated for a strong ale. Nose is heavy booze, with a touch of brown sugar sweetness. Taste... wow, booze and more booze. Sweet, bordering on sickeningly so. Nothing else really stands out. Would much rather have their replacement (Sucks) than this.

**Re-review a couple weeks later... Smelled and tasted great, though still a bit boozy. I think maybe my initial review was of a compromised bottle. The place where I bought the 6-pack had been out of Shugga' for several weeks at least, but lo and behold, I spied a sixer in a plain label mixed pack with Lagunitas caps, way behind the other beers. Pulled it out and discovered 6 bottles of Shugga' and was ecstatic! Well, maybe something happened to the previous bottle I reviewed, because I came back and drank two a couple weeks later and it tasted wonderful.

3.25/5  rDev -19.4%

Reviewed 12/31/2014; purchased in December 2014.

Appearance: Pours an extremely dark amber/red with 2 fingers of frothy/foamy khaki head. Nice retention of a thin, yellowish sandy cap. Epic lacing.

Aroma: Markedly hoppy. Tropical and resinous. Really great aroma. Love this smell; tropical & malty.

Taste: Sweet arrival, tart & fruity, extremely bitter finish. I'd put this higher than 51 IBUs. Some alcohol on the finish. A little cloying at the end; slightly off-putting.

Mouthfeel: Lighter than expected; somewhat astringent; a little like Mirror Pond in that respect but not as much; relatively little carbonation and somewhat slick.

Overall: I was about to say I really like this, but the bitterness and alcohol combine at the end [as it warms] to make this just a little unpleasant. Somewhat cloying.

3.44/5  rDev -14.6%

Love reading the label, but didn't really like the beer. Odd chemical aftertaste. I realize I'm in the minority here, but it is what it is....

4.14/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Interesting! Clear orange to amber color with a 1" creamy head that hung around for days and left remnants of itself on the side of the glass all the way down. Sweet brown sugar and hops smell. Taste is sweet and malty but crisp and hoppy also if thats even possible. Alcohol kicks in at the end for just the right feel. I'll buy more.

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A - Poured a clear dark amber with a little chill haze, slight red hue to the color. Head was thick and frothy a mix of medium bubbles and lots of fine suds.

S - Aroma is a dark complex amalgam of sweet malt. A candied cherry fruitness. tons and tons of molasses, rum like. Burnt sugar.

T - I have had this 6 pack for a few months, upon first release it was very hoppy. Its only probably been 3 months tops? the hops have fallen off completely to let the beautiful malt shine. This is certainly unique from other barleywine style ales as it is very rum like. SO I guess its less of a malt character and more of a candy, sugar. Lots of toffee. Although the aroma hops have faded, the finish is very hoppy, not so much bitter but just a nice bite, very quenching, and balances the malt sweetness well. Without this it would be way too cloying, but that is not the case. This beer is great.

M - Mouthfeel is par for the course, thick, just enough carbonation to keep it lively. finishes sweet but the bitter hops as mentioned above quell the sweetness.

O - This beer is probably my favorite from Lagunitas. If your looking for a traditional barleywine this might be a little too sweet and rummy, but it tastes great to me, just a unique flavor. Also I try not to make a review about price and value as I feel a beer should be judged on what it is over economics... but man, 9.99 for a 6 pack of this??? In a sea of 11.99 4 packs, such a great beer for 9.99 a sixer gets me everytime.

4.17/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A-Orange clear color with an off white head
S-Straight up Crystal 70/80, malty goodness
T-Boozy bitter bite at the front and a nice linger at the back end.
M-Peppery over carbonation, but it cleanses the palate
O-I must admit that this is a brew that tastes identical to something I brewed a few years back, it is so odd, so I am partial to enjoying it. That said, the alcohol is somewhat overpowering...

3.24/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A small hint of brown sugar, this is a smooth beer that prances all over your tongue.

4.46/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

mmmmmmm, smell that booze.
nice, sweet little ale, warms you up.
not overly hop-y, I think the sweetness takes care of that.
these can sneak up on you quick. drink slow and enjoy the lace.

4.27/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Beautiful amber color, deliciously sweet and hoppy...different, but good balance. Slightly boozy nose, sweet on the tongue and finishes with just a hint of bitterness.

3.66/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: [4.50] The beer is a rust to brown color. It pours out with a full finger of dense white head. The head recedes slowly and leaves a lot of lacing on the glass. The beer has a date code that says it was born on 12/12/14. The bottle lists the ABV at 9.9%.

S: [3.50] Maybe candied raisins. I am not getting a strong nose on this beer. As it warms I am getting more brown sugar - but I can't tell if that is just the power of suggestion.

T: [3.50] I get a hint of smokiness early. Then there is a flush of sweet caramel flavor.

M: [4.00] The mouthfeel is great. It feels heavy like you might expect at almost 10% but there is no sense of the alcohol. The finish is short and a little dry.

O: [3.75] This beer looks great in a glass. It leaves tremendous lacing as it is enjoyed. The nose is just weak. I can't zero in on anything to hold on to. The flavor is sweet and delicious - not like other beers that I can think of. This might be a nice dessert beer (typically a role filled by stouts). I can't imagine drinking more than 1-2 of these at a time. There is a lot of sweetness happening it might pile up.

Beautiful reddish amber. Roasted malt, pepper, and fruit on the news. The taste is much the same with lots of sweetness and alcoholic bite. It's great. I'd get it again.

2.35/5  rDev -41.7%

Holy tap-dancing Christ that's sweet. Like almost too sweet.

Yeah. Brown sugar sweet. Like cough syrup or something. Cloying. I can see why some might like it. But not for me. How did this get legendary?

(Retrospect: maybe it's the slightly sweet-cum-boozy undertone that makes people go nuts for it? I don't know; I couldn't get into it.)

4.55/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

One of the best tasting beers I've had

2.94/5  rDev -27%

An elegant pile of foam on the coppery orange brew poured in the New Belgium snifter. Interesting woody and herbal aroma.

Flavor is sweet, inappropriately bitter, murky, and sticky. It tastes like an Old Ale with the candied yams, sweet vermouth, and rust, all followed by a crunch of the aspirin tablet. Aside from the flavor, it's a well-made beer like everything from Lagunitas.

This used to be one of my favorite beers. There was the mystery of them stopping production for a few years-- maybe it was just too good. Why anybody stops making a successful beer needs an answer. It's just unfortunate it seems to be lost forever. From the 12 oz bottle in a six pack tha has been tough to get through. But when you need a bedtime beer with the right punch, you can overlook the taste.

4.73/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Sweet smell, crisp, bitter taste. This is a real winner!

3.06/5  rDev -24.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Just a touch of mediciney aftertaste deters from an otherwise pretty nice beer.

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

Wonderful beer. Perfect amount of sweetness. I will be buying this again for sure.

4.84/5  rDev +20.1%

Strong and super tasty, excellent brew.

4.15/5  rDev +3%

Dark copper in color. The nose is hoppy. The flavor profile has a blend of subtle malty sweetness and hop bitterness – the hop bitterness comes out on top.

I’m probably giving in to the marketing too much but I swear that I can catch the faint essence of brown sugar. This beer certainly paired well with baked ham and potatoes for a classic Sunday dinner with the family.

4.48/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Despite Lagunitas being one of my favorite breweries, I always looked over this one since I'm not a huge fan of barley wines. I saw one 6 pack left and figured I would give it a go. I'd like to formally apologize to Lagunitas for doubting them because this beer was great.

I figured it would be a malt bomb barley wine. After smelling it I was nervous I was right. I could smell those Lagunitas' hops, but the smell was dominated by a malty smell. The taste, however, is different in a good way.

The malt flavor is still there, but the Lagunitas' hops run the show while the malt compliments the hops. Easily drinkable at 9.9 percent and a fantastic beer.

4.12/5  rDev +2.2%

Great dessert beer on it's own or pared with something. Beautiful colour and very nice nose. Taste is a little too malty for my taste but it masks the high abv pretty well. Nice sweet caramel flavour. Lagunitas just make great beers no matter style.

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

If Lagunitas Sucks! is the hop forward DIPA of their line, then this is the malt forward version. I would say Hop Stoopid is the tropical flavored version. This is an exceptional malt balanced DIPA that is quite worthy of it's name.

Would seek out and purchase again.

to view more.