Brown Shugga' - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Brown Shugga'Brown Shugga'

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Strong Ale |  9.99% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 12-13-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brown Shugga' Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,995 | Reviews: 1,512

Perfect beer so good for its class!

Incredibly sweet and delicious. I look forward to this coming out every year.

very possibly my favorite ale. i waited for 8 months for it to be re-released, this year in 6-packs. Brown shugga is actually a variant of lagunitas Gnarlywine, an aptly named barlywine. the taste of the brown sugar makes it very pleasant to drink, hides the alcohol well. definately best nearly ice-cold in a chilled pint glass.

Such goodness contained in one 12oz bottle, that I can't take it. It looks like a dark double IPA. Dark amber colored pour with a 2 inch head that lingers for a minute or two. First thing I smell when cracking the bottle is.... you guessed it! BROWN SUGAR! not overly sweet knock you out brown sugar aroma, just a nice deep smell that isn't over powering. Also smells of tropical and piney hops, not much of a malt smell. The taste is just awesome, exactly like the aroma. This is so easy to drink it's dangerous. I'd even go to say that it's easier to drink than a pale ale. It's just so smooth being 9.99% ABV. In conclusion, this is one of the best beers I've ever tried. Thanks Lagunitas.

Absolutely one of my favorite beers!! honestly can go good with anything, but you are better off enjoying this beer by itself. it has so much too offer, such great combination between the yeast and malt's making this an outstanding brew. you can put this on my list of top beers.

Sweet sugar goodness! For those brown ale fans, this is a fun one...if the gold standard is Sam Smith, this is in the discussion. It's a beautiful brown pour, very strong in alcohol...I would limit the consumption with a nice session beer behind it..

As I said in my profile, I'm a simple beer lover. Don't care about the lace, head, color... I will say it looks beautiful in a frosty mug. Nice amber with not too much of a head. The taste is amazing. Hoppy, spicy, and sweet all at the same time. Goes down smooth and leaves your taste buds begging for more. You can taste the alcohol but, even at 9.9%, it's nowhere near as prominent as a lot of beers near this potency. Great tasting beer that packs one hell of a punch. I drank 3 last night and felt like I downed 7 or 8 MGD's. I would HIGHLY recommend this incredible, delicious beer.

Just had this on tap tonight in Marcella's Restaurant in Columbus Ohio. Very fresh, fruity smell and taste. Deep dark golden brown, clear. Lovely color. Very hoppy. It was perfect with the Italian appetizers we had while waiting for the main course. One of the nicest beers I've had in a while. Impressive. The restaurant is awesome too. Highly recommended.

I can't believe this beer is 9.9% ABV seeing as I sip them like wine coolers on the daily. There is only one store in my set that carries them and I buy him out of stock in singles regularly. Beautiful red tint, smooth going down. High class no matter how you look at it.

Brown Shugga reminds me of a Brian Regan sketch, when he is describing how good the food should be at a $1,000/plate political fund raiser: "Oh my God! This is so good!" This is nothing short of outstanding. I'm very reluctant to dole out 5s, but this is gets 5s across the board from me.

A dense, durable finger of slightly tan froth tops a copper-brown body, and the pint glass is decorated with layers of lacing--great presentation. The smell is amazing--full of hops, like a loaded IPA and close to a good DIPA, but there's much more as well. Lots of brown sugar allows this beer to more than live up to its name, but is accompanied by caramel and whiffs of fruit. A terrific nose, and one of the more complex ones I've ever had.

The taste is it, IT, for strong ale. Lots of hops, sugar, and fruit, and amazingly all are held in balance. I can't say how impressed I am with this. Ideally carbonated and smooth like a Larry Bird jump shot, the mouthfeel and drinkability on this are spot-on--not too sweet, not hop-dominated, just right. Upon reflection, I'm doubly amazed that the high ABV (9.9%) is so easily masked. Just superb.

This has officially joined my short list of favorite beers. I tried to think of ways in which to improve this that might result in a slightly lower score in some way, but cannot, and I'm glad for it. Five stars. Amazing beer!

4.99/5  rDev +23.8%

This is absolutely the best ale that I have ever tasted!

4.97/5  rDev +23.3%

My Oh My !!!

This is some good stuff!
Dark brown with a thick tan colored head.
Powerfull smell with the promise of a strong beer up ahead.
Tastes exactly like what I had hoped, a full boogey ale full of rich roasted malt and a nice hop balance. The heat from the 10% ABV is so nice. This is practically the perfect beer for me. Hope these are available in Heaven.

4.94/5  rDev +22.6%

Very good beer from lagunitas

4.94/5  rDev +22.6%

This beer is ridiculous. My liver hates it but I love it. Everything about this beer is over the top from the ABV to the taste but not so much that it is off putting. I have had beers in the 10 percent ABV range that taste like, well booze. But this one you can hardly notice it at all which is not entirely a great thing. I drank 4 of these before my wife got home and I was hammered, she was not happy, but I was.

4.89/5  rDev +21.3%

this is my new fav beer from lagunitas. i really like what they did here with this brew. I adore the blends of barley and brown sugar used in this beer. I think it has a GREAT taste and ratio. great job highly recommended !! i have a 6er in the fridge at all times now ... till it runs out !

4.89/5  rDev +21.3%

Pours and attractive red. Nice white head, super sticky lacing, I could count every sip. Smells amazing, like a bowl of hops mixed with brown sugar. Taste is on point, super unique, piney hops combat sugary sweet in a ballet of utterly foundation-shattering deliciousness. Mouthfeel? Well this beer is 9.99% and its so delicious I could keep drinking until the tap runs dry, so it feels great in the mouth, and even better in the belly. Overall this beer is amazing. 9.99% delicious beer, for $9.99 a sixer. Lagunitas continues to amaze me and solidify it's spot as my No.1 coolest brewery.

9.99% sells for $9.99 a sixer.

4.85/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

One of the best beers I've ever had. End of sentence.

4.85/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

What can I say? To me, this is just one of those beers that I fell in love with from the first drop that hit my tongue. Right off the bat you get the hoppy sensation that wakes your taste buds and lets them know that you mean business. And there is no denying the brown sugar that they so proudly named this beer after. But don't get too caught up in getting that third and forth opinon too quickly the ABV will sneak up on you very fast.

Look both ways before you cross the street with this treat.

4.84/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L- Poured from a 12oz bottle into a New Belgium goblet. Beautiful reddish-amber color with about a finger of off white head. The head dissipates into a quarter inch head that sticks around through the experience. Incredible lacing the lets you know this thing really is going to be sticky sweet.
S- overwhelming sweetness. Molasses, brown sugar and caramel. And believe it or not you can detect some hops, like someone caramelized some hops in brown sugar.
T- exactly like the smell only two-fold! It beautifully follows the noise. The hops help to balance out the unbelievable sweetness and booze although it is still a malt/sugar bomb. While the booziness is there (just slightly) it does not taste anywhere close to the nearly 10% ABV it has.
M- this thing is deliciously stiiiiicky. You might feel like you have to power wash your lips halfway through. Carbonation is perfect.
O- My go-to winter beer (along with Left Hand fade to black vol. 1 and Great Divide Hibernation ale) seriously near perfect IMO.

4.84/5  rDev +20.1%

Strong and super tasty, excellent brew.

4.83/5  rDev +19.9%

Drank from a 12 FLUID OZ bottle purchased at Crazy Bruce's Liquors, West Hartford, CT

Poured a gorgeous, crystal clear, dark crimson-orange with a tight, creamy, two-finger, light saddle head that slowly faded to a thick ring of froth. Lots of spotty lacing stuck all along the glass.

The aroma was intense and enticing. As the name suggests, brown sugar was immediately noticeable. Rich, caramel malts also came through strong along with hints of Christmas cookies and a touch of alcohol. A nice mix of sweet and spicy.

The flavor was full, rich and incredibly well balanced. So smooth and creamy. Tons of bready, rich, sweet malts came through up front. Brown sugar and gingerbread were noticeable in the center. Juicy, ripe fruits (peaches and apricots) came through as well. Sweet, citrusy hops (some orange peel) appeared in the finish along with indications of orange liquor. A sweet, sticky coating of this orange liquor-like flavor lingered in my mouth (as well as on my lips) long after the beer was finished.

Mouthfeel was creamy, smooth and medium-full bodied with a fine, mild carbonation. Silky smooth on the palate. Syrupy and sticky.

Drinkability was simply off the charts. The alcohol in this beer is hitting me hard but where did the liquid go? I simply cannot believe I am almost finished. I have labeled other beers as being "dangerously drinkable" but this one puts them to shame. 9.9% ABV? This certainly must be a typo.

Simply put, this is an exceptionally well-rounded beer. Its sweet, sugary aspect is apparent, yet it never becomes cloying or messy. (This beer borders on being a sweeter version of a barleywine, and a damn fine one at that.) Brown Shugga' actually reminds me a great deal of Lagunitas's own Sneak Release Undercover Investigation Shut-Down Ale, but slightly better. I advise you to seek out this magical beer at any cost.

4.82/5  rDev +19.6%

Found this on tap at Old Chicago in Peoria!

A - Clear amber brew topped with a tight one finger white head of really fluffy and crispy-looking foam. The head reminds me of that white stuff that people put underneath their Christmas villages.

S - Wow! Super-hoppy and very sugary too. I can smell the brown sugar for sure, but this is pretty much all about the big Northwestern hops. Cascade maybe?

T - This is really piney, a little bit citrusy, and very solidly malted too. The brown sugar is there, but again...hop city! The malts live up to the very demanding nature of the hops and serve to make this crazy brew balanced....if you can call a nearly 10% abv beer brewed with brown sugar balanced.

M - Full bodied, nicely carbonated...crisp, but never distracting from the flavor. Really sugary and boozy. This is balanced, moderately dry on the finish, and somewhat oily. A very solid and structured brew!

D - Sobriety be damned! I want more of this glorious stuff! This is really an outstanding brew....could take the place of a brandy after dinner, but it's balanced enough to drink a few of if you aren't planning on operating any heavy machinery in the next few hours!

4.82/5  rDev +19.6%

This was a surprisingly drinkable beer considering the high IBU and ABV. The balance between the bitterness and the sweetness is very unique for me. Poured into a Pilsner Glass left it with a nice frothy head with a strong lace. I can find absolutely nothing wrong with this beer.

4.8/5  rDev +19.1%

A - Pours a rich, hearty reddish-brown. Reminds me of fall leaves. A moderate sized head the color of brown sugar (no surprise) lingers a long time as a layer of foamy bubbles. Sticky lacing lingers on the glass.

S - This is seriously the best-smelling beer I have ever come across. A candied, caramellized hops note comes on strong, with a background of berries, spices and brown sugar. Deliciously complex with a smooth, sweet citrus finish. I know this is my second cheesy, poetic statement of this review, but for some reason I immediately thought of Christmas. I really did.

T - Oh my god I want to make love to this beer. The first taste is of candied, citrusy hops, tart but perfectly balanced out by the sweet brown sugary finish. An warm aftertaste of alcohol, sugar and cranberries. Delicous, complex, unique... what else is there to say?

M - This is the only place where I can really dock this beer any points. The high alcohol content, while it doesn't ruin the taste, gives it a hot feeling in the mouth and throat. The thickness is a little much, as well - bordering on syrupy. Relatively minor flaws, however, given the beer overall.

D - Never have I so happily sipped down a 12 oz. glass of beer over a 45 minute period. This has to be my #1 pick for a winter/Christmas beer, even though I don't believe it's marketed as a holiday ale. Just smelling and looking at this beer had me rambling on about the changing seasons and Christmas... enough said. I bought a single bottle of this as part of a $9.99 pick-your-own six pack; if I'd known then what I know now, I'd have taken out six of these and happily marched up to the counter.

In short, it makes Arrogant Bastard look like liquified dog sh*t - buy it on sight.

4.8/5  rDev +19.1%

this beer was recommended to me and serves as my introduction to Lagunitas Beers. I love it. It is such a drinkable beer at 9.9% abv. It deserves respect. I don't think that it will improve with age, it is perfect as is! I would definitely try more of Lagunitas.

Brown Shugga' from Lagunitas Brewing Company