Brown Shugga' - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Brown Shugga'Brown Shugga'

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Strong Ale |  9.99% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 12-13-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brown Shugga' Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,993 | Reviews: 1,512
4.66/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Crystal clear, bready, harmonious caramel/brown sugar and hops, with perfect (not-over-the -top) stickiness to compliment its flavor profile. I love savoring this beer and letting the hops build up, sip after sip. May not be for everyone, but the fresher the better in my book!

4.65/5  rDev +15.4%

Appearance - Pour was light brown color, pretty clear. Nice foamy head, and some lacing.

Smell - Malts, brown sugar, hops and alcohol.

Taste - Brown sugar, malts, alcohol taste to it

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied and malt taste.

Drinkability - Alcohol is high at 9.9, bery nice beer. i enjoyed this one, slow drinking beer.

4.65/5  rDev +15.4%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle purchased at Green's in Atlanta into a pint glass.

A. Rod copper amber with a wispy white head that leaves generous wispy lacing. Good bubbles.

S. A sweet brown sugar smell, almost cloying, but altogethr pleasing. I can sense the malt, it is not overwhelmed but there is still a healthy hoppiness.

T. Oh god! This beer works. The brown sugar compliments the over hop/malt perfectly. I didn't think they could pull it off but they did,

M. A very creamy finish, but sweet to the point where the anv is well hidden. This does not taste like 9.9%!!

D. This is a timebomb!! It drinks like a session beer, but after 2 or 3 of these (and I mean the 12 ouncer's, not a bomber!!) you are hammered! This is a beer that should not be so easy to drink.

Summary: buy a 6 pack of this, hide the keys and enjoy!!

4.65/5  rDev +15.4%

rereviewing due to the release of the 05/06 batch.. bottle differs by bright red and thicker letters spelling out 'brown shugga'... something tells me this beer is going to be different as it's a recreation of a mistake- and boy was i right!

pours a silky, clear dark amber with a taut ring of creamy foam with empty speckles where bubbles once were. 50% haze on top, swirly and twirly. spotty lacing on the glass.

hoppy nose brings out ripe red plum fruit and slight cough syrup aromatic drafts. orange liqueur dominates the scent here, defining this beer as an apertif more than a beery beer. bigger than i remember, still smelling good.

flavor repeats the aggressive hoppiness, brings the brown sugar in tasty spades. buttery brown sugar with vanilla and cookielike girth. thick and balanced mf/wise with a good level of carbonation. the more i think about it, the more i realize this brings the same flavors and accents with a slightly different twist on the overall recipe still just as good as it was last year.. a little crisper, a little richer. less boozy, and more hoppy. maybe it's just because its so fresh.

aw, who gives a fuck. this still an A+ beer and one i'd be happy to rereview every year until it disappears.. at bare minimum, ill be drinking it annually.

4.65/5  rDev +15.4%

Dark orange-copper with a faint roseate glow. Brown Shugga' looks like a brighter, sunnier barleywine. The magnificent head is the color of golden brown sugar, is the consistency of whipped butter and leaves a wonderful lace display. There's nothing about the appearance that I don't love.

A sweet, malty sipper would have been fantastic. However, if the nose is any indication, the brewery has seen fit to chuck in a generous load of American hops as well. Brown Shugga' smells like a DIPA that flavors its brown sugary malt side a fraction more than its citric hop side. If it tastes like it smells, I'll be in beer heaven.

The American strong ale, American barleywine and DIPA styles overlap to some extent. This Lagunitas offering could fit comfortably into any of them; maybe not so much the third. For my money, it tastes like a barleywine that's sweeter than it is bitter; like it has been sitting in my cellar for two years and has been smoothed and mellowed to perfection. Actually, that's exactly where it has been and that's exactly what has happened.

The flavor profile consists of wall-to-wall caramel malt coated with brown sugar and toffee pudding, studded with sticky dates and drizzled with caramel syrup. The 'boozy cherries' nature of some barleywines is present as well and comparisons to holiday fruitcake would not be out of line. Even though hops take a backseat to the malt juggernaught, a spicy, Chinook-like pungency is undeniable.

The beer is significantly sweet without crossing the line into cloying. There's enough bitterness present to take what could have been a sticky mess and turn it into pure, liquid poetry. The mouthfeel is everything I'd hoped for and more. Words like viscous, velvety and luxurious come to mind.

I've contemplated cracking this bottle open on many occasions over the past year. I'm glad I waited though. I have no doubt that time has been more than kind and has turned the beer into the glorious exilir that I'm enjoying so much today. I would love to have a case or two sleeping in my cellar right this very moment. Brown Shugga', how come you taste so good?

4.63/5  rDev +14.9%

12 oz bottle, poured into a goblet

Appearance: Pours a beautiful, dark, yet clear, mahogany color with two full fingers of off-white head that slowly dissolved into a thin lacing of foam that covered the entire top of the beer.

Aroma: Very aromatic with tons of floral hops, clover, caramel and some faint notes of malt.

Taste: Delicious! Nice, sweet malty flavors up front, quickly followed by some assertive, but not at all overpowering or out of balance hops, and finishes with some more brown sugar/caramel-like sweetness. I also get notes of dried stone fruit, like prunes and raisins, as well as some faint hits of chocolate and vanilla.

Mouthfeel: Slightly chewy with little to no carbonation. With an ABV of 9.9%, there is quite a bit of alcohol on the palate, instilling a pleasant warmth.

Overall: Damn, this is a great beer! I love the balance between hops and sweet! Lagunitas, you knocked it out of the park with this one!

4.63/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I had tried a sample of this at the local supermarket and thought it was deserving of a much more in depth exploration. So I had my growler filled (at a very reasonable price) and took it to a meeting of my fellow reprobates who like listening to music and drinking beer.

I was pretty sure that this would be regarded fairly highly by my fellow hop-kissers and was not surprised. The other alternatives were Hopping Frog Christmas Ale (not bad) and Great Lakes Conway Ale (it's ok but I've had it before and wasn't particularly interested in bottles of it). Anyway this was a big hit and we drained the growler with scant regard for the alc content.

Even though Lagunitas dumps enough sugar in this to stimulate a diabetic coma, it really doesn't negatively impact the taste, nor does the fairly high alc content. This is a strong tasting but very balanced tasty ale.

4.62/5  rDev +14.6%

Quite possibly, the best stong ale I've EVER had. B+ ????

Appearance is a dark amber/copper. Head didn't last exceptionally long. Good lookin' beer

Smell is absolutely beautiful - Hop, Malts, and sweetness...

Taste - utterly unique - Strong hops up front - malty in the middle - and a stong brown sugar ending, hence the name. How'd they do that? Alcohol hidden very well.

Mouthfeel - Smooth, carbonation average.

Overall - As of today - the most tasteful strong ale I'VE EVER HAD. PERIOD. Congrats Lagunitas, Brown Shugga's a work of art.

4.62/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

first off I love stouts but this might be my favorite beer thus my craft journey
L : dark copper amber hugh 4 finger Creamy off white head lots of lacing poured in wide mouth goblet at 45`
S: grapefruit (cutties) slight hop and little spice
T: kinda weird but smells of citrus grapefruit mainly with caramelized brown shugga:-) this is f n delicious does have slight alcohol finish but to expect with almost 10%
F lite carbonation that coats your mouth
O : I love this beer kinda taste little like stone ipa but 100 times better and it has brown sugar come on who dont love brown shugga

4.62/5  rDev +14.6%

12 oz bottle poured into ye' olde Duvel tulip.

A: Noticeable carbonation streaming upwards off the nucleation point to create a thin, but creamy off white head. The beer is a mahogany color with some reddish highlights around. Looks very inviting.

S: Full of brown sugar, caramelized sugar and sweet malts. Hops mask what would be a quite strong alcohol presence. Big, luscious and a nice bitter hop aroma as well.

T: Absolutely mind blowing taste. So creamy with a big caramel flavor. Glad I got around to reviewing this beer, because it is one of my favorites that I never really sat and studied. Hops experienced on the nose were bitter, yet the beer is a malt bomb. Very understandable how some classify this as an American Barleywine.

M: A bit wispy for the mat presence. Guess this is why some people don't classify this as an American BW. Still creamy and luscious, yet the beer also has some carbonation to it that keeps it crisp.

D: Way too drinkable and at near 10%, this ones dangerous. Alcohol is hidden very well so read your labels kids.

4.62/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours from a bottle a delicious looking reddish brown. Translucent with slightly visible carbonation that supports one of the best looking heads I've ever seen. 3 fingers of creamy, offwhite head that stays around the entire time. Smooth, thick lacing that goes through the entire glass. Great looking brew.

S - Such a strong smell right after the cap has been removed. Rich brown sugar smell with a slight grape aroma as well. Slightly roasted smell too, almost chocolately. No alcohol smell, which is suprising for such a strong beer.

T - Again, brown sugar and grape tastes predominately. The chocolate and roast characters are more subdued than in the smell, but still definitely there. The sugary sweetness is effectively countered by the other tastes here; definitely a creative and well thought out beer. Complex taste that doesn't get cloyingly sweet or dull with time. Alcohol taste is there, but it doesn't get bothersome or offputting.

MF - Smooth and satisfying. Slightly heavy but buttery. Very good texture.

D - So, so drinkable. The awesomely complex flavor and the unique texture leave you wanting more and more.

4.6/5  rDev +14.1%

Where to start with my favorite beer...Great sweetness with a hop finish, all on top of an outrageous 9.9% abv.

A: Gorgeous red copper color, with a white head that quickly settles down.

S: MMmmm...Sweet brown shugga! Nice malty smell to complement the sugary sweetness. Slight hop smell buried under the sweetness.

T: Definately sweet brown sugar flavor upon first hitting the mouth, but that gives way to a great slighty hopped finish. I've found this more noticeable on tap than out of the bottle.

M: Nice syrupy and warming feeling due to the high ABV. The last bit of hop flavor at the end is what keeps me coming back to how much I love this beer.

D: Well, don't have too many (3+) otherwise you will be on your way to drunkenness. More than 5 or 6 makes for a bad, bad night. Good idea to keep tabs on how much you've had, so be forewarned. Although its strong, its very very tasty.

Congratulations Brown Shugga, you are my favorite beer, and have inspired me to write my first BA review!

4.6/5  rDev +14.1%

A- Very thick looking dark caramel color with a very small head, but the color definately fits the name

S- Strong sugar smell as well as a flower scent and some earth tones laced in

T- Very earthy with a lot of caramel overtones and a sweet, sugary aftertaste

M- It's like my coffee, smooth and sweet, very easy with a slight after bite. It's a very, very pleasant feel on the palate

D- This beer is phenomenal for a sweet lover, which I am. It's very surprisingly drinkable and tasty

4.6/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Excellent malt with the perfect balance of hops for this strong ale, at 9.9% it knocks you on your behind faster than you'd imagine especially with how smooth, and tasty this beer is. If you haven't tried it you should get your hands on some.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Came in a 22 oz. "Sweet Release" bomber; served in a pint glass.

Pours a brownish copper color with a two-finger, off-white head. Leaves a lotta lace. Smells sweet--malts and brown shugga'. Tastes of plums, brown sugar, and rum. Has a very thick and full-bodied mouthfeel, and ist so drinkable for a barley wine.

"This ale is accidental and we have no idea what kind of style it conforms to. We were making Gnarlywine in 1998, messed up the recipe, an [sic] this is what we got." What a great mistake!

I've been drinking a lot of this lately. Awesome in many ways: taste, ABV, and price ($2.79 per bomber). Like everything Lagunitas does, this beer is extremely drinkable. The appearance, smell, and mouthfeel are all superb, too. I think I'm gonna keep buying this stuff regularly before it goes off the shelves.

Oh, Brown Shugga', how come you taste so good?

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured a tad too aggressively into my Celebration Ale pint glass ('tis the season), and the head fires up toward the rim of the glass, lush and dense, and bright tan in color. Some nice, husky streaks of lace cling to the glass. The body is reddish brown, almost crimson, without a shade of haziness -- just solid, and bright.

Smell:

Huge waft of sweetness kicks out immediately, with a tight center of snappin' cracklin' hops. Shimmy shimmy ya! Everything about the smell is bold, sweet and deep.

Taste:

Opens with an almost puckering blast of tart sweetness (apple tart) on the front. The middle has a heavier, brown sugary sweetness, that spreads out over the base of my palate as a symphony of delicious hop bitterness blazes above, like Santa's sleigh, except instead of reindeers its pulled along by a posse of hops. The finish is so sweet, but just right -- balanced perfectly against the fading hop bitterness -- and not overpowering at all. Alcohol is also evident, slighty, in the finish; I feel it warming my throat and jolly old gut.

I'm glad I gave this beer some time to come down from fridge to cellar temp. The flavors are big and need the breathing room.

The mouthfeel is delightfully heavy, rests on my tongue like a chubby child would on Santa's lap. Lovely.

"BANG ZAP POW!"

4.59/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass, light red brown amber colored with a huge light tan head that lingers leaving excellent lacing, clear

S: amazing aroma of citrus hops, orange, grapefruit, lemon, caramelized sugar

T: grapefruit, lemon zest, pine, toffee, strawberry, brown sugar,

M: higher carbonation, alcohol amazingly well hidden, slightly viscous

O: The most amazing part of this beer is that the alcohol is so well hidden under a depth of hop and malt flavor.

4.59/5  rDev +13.9%

I poured this into a pint glass.

A. Orange amber the color of orange tea with a thin head that turned into a spidery cover.
S. Smelled of malt, burnt sugar, orange, and roses(?).
T. Malt, caramelized sugar, hops, chicory, all seem to come together as sweetened grapefruit.
M. Really smooth and mouthwatering.
D. Goes down real easy and begs for the next one.

Great beer!

4.58/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Celebrating my two year anniversary at the high school I currently teach at in Korea, I wanted a way to bring it all back home so to speak, enjoying this California beer, even though I have been across the Pacific for some time now. I have had this little gem sitting in my 'fridge for a while, and thought it the perfect opportunity to open it up, and enjoy its bountiful offerings.

Poured from a 12-ounce bottle into an appropriate cup, it came out smooth, a darkened-Amber color flowing seamlessly from vessel to vessel. Settling nicely with minimal foam, apart from its appearance, the first thing that jumped out at me from the wide rim of the glass, was the aroma; a strong scent which transported my mind immediately back to California, regardless of my actual physical location. I could almost taste this beer through its smell; that strong, and that alluring.

Upon tasting though, my realities were again questioned, as this 9.9% ale packs a punch even as it sat in my mouth, visiting it seemed, all 5,000 taste buds before making its rounds to the neurons within my brain. This beer I was enjoying, was at a time, part of a larger six-pack, but while drinking just this one for my celebration, it was beyond me how long it would take to finish all six. Woulda been silly!

Overall, as the statistics prove, this is an absolutely incredible beer, taking no prisoners, while at the same time, allowing for...ne...encouraging transcendence beyond space and time. My space is here in Korea, my time is for the past two years, but while I sipped on this Brown Shugga', I was back along the West Coast, in mind, body, and soul...

4.58/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

So good. Easy drinking, looks perfect, the carbonation is on point and the aftertaste leaves you yearning for another. This beer is phenomenal for the price/abv with the taste. It also ages well.

4.57/5  rDev +13.4%

A: orange and red hues, just a touch on the cloudy side. Capped off with a thin and fizzy head. The color is rather pleasant and maintains a certain radiance and warmth to it. The walls of the glass were almost bare as lacing was token

S: sweet profile that makes me think of butterscotch and belgian candies. Roasted malts, and an essential companionship of lemon and pine hops

T: malts give a good bottom end and allow the sweeter stuff to mingle in the mouth. Sweetness of brown sugar, caramel, and soft medicinal honey syrupy appeal (not a bad thing). I think the medicinal characteristics are a direct result of the hops (lemons, pine, grapefruits) that do the trick of cutting through the sweetness from time to time. Also hits with a bit of bite and spiced cherries and fruits.
All in all this guy is pretty balanced for what flavors their are, and their is a bunch and nothing is over the top! Great sipper

M: mild and creamy body, super agreeable and gratifying. Body has the strong ale style right, all while maintaining a good hop profile. Alcohol notes pop through after sitting, in any event I hardly realized

D: what the devil! why have I not had this before? I have found new favorite to add to the list, sheer wonder in a bottle. Without a doubt one of my favorite strong ales to this date

4.57/5  rDev +13.4%

Pours a two-fingered light tan head that fades slowly leaving some lace. Clear amber color. Brown sugar nose. Medium carbonation and heavy bodied. Starts sweet but complex flavor, hops are here balancing the brown sugar and malts, the high ABV is not noticeable. Good beer to savor. $5.45 for a 22oz bottle from Colonial Spirits Acton, Ma.

4.57/5  rDev +13.4%

Appearance: Lives up to its name. Looks like melted brown sugar. light, rich, brown color
4.5/5

S: refreshing flowery hoppy smell, with some very mild citricy hops in the background, with the malty smells playing second fiddle to the hops
However, these hops smell excellent
5/5

T: sweet sticky goodness, with a light hoppy bite coming in at the end. lots of brown suggar and hops, and it works out a lot better then it should.
4.5/5

M:Slick, lightly sticky, light for a 10% ABV brew
Dangerously drinkable
4/5

overall: this is a epic beer, and I give it a 4.5/5

its a VERY good limited release form Lagunitas. Strong brewing skills where at work to making something like this work that had this much brown sugar (as a home brewer myself, I can appreciate the work they put in to making this one work.

Highly recommended. If you see if, get it!

4.56/5  rDev +13.2%

Crytsal-clear and a rich copper in color, with a mountainous off-white head and decent lacing. The aroma is quite appealing as the brown sugar sweetness blends almost imperceptibly with a blend of citric and lightly floral hops. Mild fusel alcohol aromas develop as the beer warms. The flavor begins malty with some light, fruity notes, followed by an almost granular sugary flavor and some mild alcohol warming. The finish is dominating by a biting hop presence, but one which stings only for a second and merges gracefully in to a very well-balanced sugary sweet and somewhat spicy aftertaste. Medium-full body and rather like a mild barley wine in character. A very well-crafted (even if accidentally!) and drinkable beer.

4.55/5  rDev +12.9%

On tap into 16oz beer glass. Clear dark amber color with 1 finger head.

Pine and floral Hops are up front, sweet notes of caramel.

Taste of Hops up first -pine and citrus, mild sweet sugga', malt backbone.

Medium body, med carbonation, Bold Hop bite and dry finish, medium alcohol warmth 10% abv very well hidden.

Overall this is a very nicely balanced brew, though the Hops are bid and up front, the malts and sweet sugga' are present and make this a nice flavorful brew. Lagunita's continues to amaze me. Several bar patrons told me this is the best version over the last several years. not as sweet and hops tones down from years past.

Brown Shugga' from Lagunitas Brewing Company