Brown Shugga' - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Brown Shugga'Brown Shugga'

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Strong Ale |  9.99% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 12-13-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brown Shugga' Alström Bros

4.99/5  rDev +23.8%

This is absolutely the best ale that I have ever tasted!

4.97/5  rDev +23.3%

My Oh My !!!

This is some good stuff!
Dark brown with a thick tan colored head.
Powerfull smell with the promise of a strong beer up ahead.
Tastes exactly like what I had hoped, a full boogey ale full of rich roasted malt and a nice hop balance. The heat from the 10% ABV is so nice. This is practically the perfect beer for me. Hope these are available in Heaven.

4.96/5  rDev +23.1%

4.94/5  rDev +22.6%

This beer is ridiculous. My liver hates it but I love it. Everything about this beer is over the top from the ABV to the taste but not so much that it is off putting. I have had beers in the 10 percent ABV range that taste like, well booze. But this one you can hardly notice it at all which is not entirely a great thing. I drank 4 of these before my wife got home and I was hammered, she was not happy, but I was.

4.94/5  rDev +22.6%

This is one of my favorite Holiday Seasonal brews. I've had Sucks now for a long time and this is the first time I've seen Brown Shugga' and I was blown away!

4.92/5  rDev +22.1%

4.92/5  rDev +22.1%

4.9/5  rDev +21.6%

this is my new fav beer from lagunitas. i really like what they did here with this brew. I adore the blends of barley and brown sugar used in this beer. I think it has a GREAT taste and ratio. great job highly recommended !! i have a 6er in the fridge at all times now ... till it runs out !

4.89/5  rDev +21.3%

Pours and attractive red. Nice white head, super sticky lacing, I could count every sip. Smells amazing, like a bowl of hops mixed with brown sugar. Taste is on point, super unique, piney hops combat sugary sweet in a ballet of utterly foundation-shattering deliciousness. Mouthfeel? Well this beer is 9.99% and its so delicious I could keep drinking until the tap runs dry, so it feels great in the mouth, and even better in the belly. Overall this beer is amazing. 9.99% delicious beer, for $9.99 a sixer. Lagunitas continues to amaze me and solidify it's spot as my No.1 coolest brewery.

9.99% sells for $9.99 a sixer.

4.86/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

What can I say? To me, this is just one of those beers that I fell in love with from the first drop that hit my tongue. Right off the bat you get the hoppy sensation that wakes your taste buds and lets them know that you mean business. And there is no denying the brown sugar that they so proudly named this beer after. But don't get too caught up in getting that third and forth opinon too quickly the ABV will sneak up on you very fast.

Look both ways before you cross the street with this treat.

4.85/5  rDev +20.3%

Found this on tap at Old Chicago in Peoria!

A - Clear amber brew topped with a tight one finger white head of really fluffy and crispy-looking foam. The head reminds me of that white stuff that people put underneath their Christmas villages.

S - Wow! Super-hoppy and very sugary too. I can smell the brown sugar for sure, but this is pretty much all about the big Northwestern hops. Cascade maybe?

T - This is really piney, a little bit citrusy, and very solidly malted too. The brown sugar is there, but again...hop city! The malts live up to the very demanding nature of the hops and serve to make this crazy brew balanced....if you can call a nearly 10% abv beer brewed with brown sugar balanced.

M - Full bodied, nicely carbonated...crisp, but never distracting from the flavor. Really sugary and boozy. This is balanced, moderately dry on the finish, and somewhat oily. A very solid and structured brew!

D - Sobriety be damned! I want more of this glorious stuff! This is really an outstanding brew....could take the place of a brandy after dinner, but it's balanced enough to drink a few of if you aren't planning on operating any heavy machinery in the next few hours!

4.85/5  rDev +20.3%

Drank from a 12 FLUID OZ bottle purchased at Crazy Bruce's Liquors, West Hartford, CT

Poured a gorgeous, crystal clear, dark crimson-orange with a tight, creamy, two-finger, light saddle head that slowly faded to a thick ring of froth. Lots of spotty lacing stuck all along the glass.

The aroma was intense and enticing. As the name suggests, brown sugar was immediately noticeable. Rich, caramel malts also came through strong along with hints of Christmas cookies and a touch of alcohol. A nice mix of sweet and spicy.

The flavor was full, rich and incredibly well balanced. So smooth and creamy. Tons of bready, rich, sweet malts came through up front. Brown sugar and gingerbread were noticeable in the center. Juicy, ripe fruits (peaches and apricots) came through as well. Sweet, citrusy hops (some orange peel) appeared in the finish along with indications of orange liquor. A sweet, sticky coating of this orange liquor-like flavor lingered in my mouth (as well as on my lips) long after the beer was finished.

Mouthfeel was creamy, smooth and medium-full bodied with a fine, mild carbonation. Silky smooth on the palate. Syrupy and sticky.

Drinkability was simply off the charts. The alcohol in this beer is hitting me hard but where did the liquid go? I simply cannot believe I am almost finished. I have labeled other beers as being "dangerously drinkable" but this one puts them to shame. 9.9% ABV? This certainly must be a typo.

Simply put, this is an exceptionally well-rounded beer. Its sweet, sugary aspect is apparent, yet it never becomes cloying or messy. (This beer borders on being a sweeter version of a barleywine, and a damn fine one at that.) Brown Shugga' actually reminds me a great deal of Lagunitas's own Sneak Release Undercover Investigation Shut-Down Ale, but slightly better. I advise you to seek out this magical beer at any cost.

Brown Shugga' from Lagunitas Brewing Company