Brown Shugga' - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Brown Shugga'Brown Shugga'

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Strong Ale |  9.99% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 12-13-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brown Shugga' Alström Bros
2.75/5  rDev -31.8%

Ok, i LOVE Lagunitas, maybe my favorite brewery. So, i was waiting on finding this to try it out.
Everything else they brew i seem to love, but this, this is just not for me. I am trying to not be too hard on it. Well, first off, i used to have a cat years ago that would piss on the front door if i was sleeping and couldnt let him out, and this beer smells like what that cat was pissing. So right off, i am not too happy, but it could get better...Mouthfeel is ok, but damned if it doesnt taste like it smells, cat piss. I mustve had a funky assed cat cause at 16 when his bladder was iffy and he couldnt wait, he was pissing Brown Shugga. I just cant get over it. Not even sure i can give this a fair review because of it.

2.78/5  rDev -31%

Got word that I was being released at three bars in my area on the same night, some sort of "release party..." Got there right around 8:30, and the bartender said I was the first one to try it. So the ice cold beer went into the shaker...

A - Amber body, decent head, pretty standard.

T - Fruity citrus hops stuck out, with some barleywine-like alcohol notes. Again, not very exciting...

T - Entry seemed to focus on the sweet alcohol. Cherry and orange flavors seemed off in the dry finish.

M - Very full and smooth mouthfeel. First thing about this beer I liked...

D - I don't know what it is about this beer, but it has never seemed to impress me. I love Lagunitas, and I want to like this beer, but no... Also, I get a little tired of bartenders asking me if there is something wrong with my beer when I am just waiting for it to warm up to something other than 38 F....

2.8/5  rDev -30.5%

Appearance: Clear amber-red in my tulip, nicely colored with an off-white head that dissipates quickly.

Smell: Rich, sweet and fruity. I suppose there's a trace of brown sugar, but this is more fruity and boozy than anything. Faint sourness as well, along with a bit of leafy hops.

Taste & mouthfeel: As the aroma implies, this borders on being cloyingly sweet. Heavy on the palate but somewhat muddled, the faint fruity sourness doesn't gel right with the spicy sweetness and leafy hop bite. Somewhat thin in body despite the sweetness, with a surprisingly bitter finish. Can't say that I'm a fan of this one.

2.83/5  rDev -29.8%

Pours a deep orange/ light brownish color, with a light tan head. In the aroma a caramel sweetness and malty. In the taste, caramel, sugary sweet and a dry end. Huge sweetness with a dry end, an aftertaste of brown sugar. It is a bit too sweet for me, but it does hide the alcohol very well.

2.83/5  rDev -29.8%

Served out of bottle in pint glass. Nice but lighter brown was expecting darker - a few fingers of head that held nicely. Smelled boozey and hoppy for a brown. I was expecting at least a hint of brown sugar and a lot more maltiness. Felt decently carbonated but not too much so, great mouthfeel when warmer. Tasted boozey and hoppy for a brown. Drinkability - I really hadn't read the abv, a little boozey for me.

2.88/5  rDev -28.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours clear brown with almost no head. Some lacing.

Very sweet malty smell.

Very sweet taste - mostly like brown sugar with a hint of alcohol.

The sweetness lingers on my tongue and the roof of my mouth. Medium body.

Too sweet for me. It was nice to try but won't seek out again.

2.88/5  rDev -28.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Poured amber brown with a very weak head that faded into a small white cap. Laced very well for the weak head retention. Just can't understand the twist off cap though.

S - The label says brown sugar and that's exactly what you smell, very sweet indeed. Roasted Carmel malts with molasses tones and maple syrup.

T - Sweet up front which is very nice and balanced, but then WHAM! The rest of the ride is alcohol. I didn't find that very appealing. Overall the taste was very harsh. The sweetness did little to hide the alcohol IMO, very unbalanced.

M - Medium / full bodied and very dry.

D - This is a one and done. The high ABV makes it that way. Not a horrible beer but I would pass on this on in the future.

A -
brown orange body head is foamy and creamy looking stays very well

S -
huge brown sugar smell which you expect do to the name but there are also mild hop fruity esters to it

T -
very malty at the beginning of the taste some hops in the middle and loads of brown sugar on the backend

M -
very light on the tongue kind of a dryness in the mouth

D -
overall worth a try but nothing i would really like often

2.9/5  rDev -28%

Bottle poured into an imperial pint glass.

A- It poured a deep amber color with light-medium carbonation. There was a 1/2" tan head that quickly turned to a lace that left a nice stick on the side of the glass.

S- It had a really nice aroma. It was big in both sweet-bread malt and pine-citrus hop scents. Just a hint of alcohol lets you know this beer means business.

T- A bready malt character is initially balanced with some citrus-like hops. However, there is an overwhelmingly sweet finish that came across and didn't sit well with me. The alcohol became more evident as the beer warmed.

M- The initial mouthfeel was really nice. It was smooth and lightly carbonated. However, there was a lingering thickness that allowed the sweet flavor to hang around.

D- Not great. I saw this beer was a definite sipper near the 10% abv mark, but something about the sweetness is a turnoff for me.

Overall- A great beer if you're into sweet. I'm going through a phase of really enjoying malty beers, but this one seems to go too far in the brown sugar direction. There were good things about this beer, but not enough to compensate for the negative for me.

2.93/5  rDev -27.3%

First had: bottle from Pinocchio's, Media, PA

Clear, mahogany-amber pour, with a small beige head that retained well and left splotches of lacing on the glass. Muted caramel aroma, a touch of fruity hops. I really expected something different with this one, but instead got the same old typical, basic, dull Lagunitas flavor. Caramel malts, tree sap, pine and citrus hops, woody nutshells, stale alcohol notes, some off-flavors consistent with oxidation. About medium in body and carbonation. I'd probably never get this again. So many uninteresting beers from this brewery, and this one's no different.

2.98/5  rDev -26.1%

Just received the 2010 bottling. Probably shouldn't be reviewing this for a few years, but what the hell. People are cracking open Vertical Epic 10's! (not me)

A: Swiss cheese head that falls steady down to a finger, decent lacing. Clear burnt orange, no bubbles.

S: Caramel malt, American hops, permenant marker.

T: Caramalized onion complete with a burnt fond bitterness accentuated by the hop profile. Not appealing, oily, with a touch of ass stink. Sweet, week barleywine with something mechanical about it.

M: Flat and off-putting, hurts my teeth. This could use some chilling to make it more viscous.

D: Like it says on the bottle, "It's like feeding raw shark to your gerbil." This beer was young and could use some aging. Would love to get my hands on some barrel-aged BS, though.

2.98/5  rDev -26.1%

Bought sixer of this. You really can't beat Lagunitas on price. I really enjoyed the first one, but 3 bottles later I've pretty much lost my taste for this beer. It's the sugar, by the end of the bottle it's just a bit much. And sugar in food covers up a lot of things, in this situation it seems to be covering up the exact same hop profile Lagunitas uses in so many other beers.

I wouldn't discourage others from trying it. I just don't find it to be particularly artful and I've worn out on it.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I love Lagunitas and really respect their beers but this one was a bit more than what I prefer. I think it is probably a great beer for some people but I had a hard time getting my preferences out of the way and just rating this beer.

It pours a cloudy gold and brown with a small head that was gone quickly. Quite a bit of stuff floating around in there (normal or bad pour?) and the carbonation keeps it moving and keeps a bit of foam on top the whole time. The smell is very hoppy and a little sweet.

The taste hits me. I appreciate the complexity but it is just a bit too hoppy and sweet for me. There is a straw/grain taste and the high alcohol content is definitely noticeable as well as some yeasty overtones. Again, very carbonated feel in your mouth and hoppy and dry at the end. As it warmed up, it did mellow out so maybe I had it colder than this beer should be.

With the high alcohol content of this guy and how harsh it seemed to me, I doubt I could drink more than one. But I should try it again in case it was just a bad pour.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours copper with about an inch of fluffy almost-white head. The head lingers for a while and leaves plenty of lacing behind.

I am shocked and delighted by the hop presence in the nose. Lots of sweet pineapple, and an instant mental association is good pot. ...And I know this sounds crazy, but I get some ketchup from it as well.

Well, it is about as sweet as I had expected, considering the name. Thankfully, the hop bitterness almost balances things out. Not too complex, maple syrup and molasses pitted against citric/piney hops.

It is fairly heavy and lacking in carbonation, so it comes off as pretty syrupy. It's not quite on the level of Super Troopers maple syrup chugging, but I am definitely not running to the fridge to grab another bottle.

Booze isn't present in the flavor, but you definitely get a nice warming sensation from this one. An interesting beer, even if it isn't very complex, but it is too sweet and syrupy to be anywhere near sessionable.

2.98/5  rDev -26.1%

I poured this beer into my tumbler at 50 degrees. The beer had a red hue to it with a minimal head. The beer was very hoppy smelling. This brew I was hoping was going to be really great, but it was just to high on the alcohol burn and too sweet for my taste. I will not buy again

2.98/5  rDev -26.1%

This one pours out as an amberish colored brew with a white head on it. The head settles but leaves a nice lacing. The smell of the beer is semi sweet, not as sweet as I expected it to be from the name. There was a little bit of a roasted smell in there and some hops as well. The taste wasn't overly sweet, I guess I took the name of the beer too literally... The flavors were decent in my opinion. After finishing it off I found myself saying that it wasn't the best beer out there but I suppose it'd be worth another try.

Clear deep copper color. 2 finger super sticky and fluffy off white head.

Very abrasive nose. Solvent alcohol hop resin tropical fruit burnt sugars and a bit of sour milk? Nose calms down a bit as the beer breathes.

Milder than the nose but nothing too special. Lots of burnt caramel sugar. Big malty monster really. Pretty smooth and only a touch of alcohol heat. Subtle underlying bitterness that balances the malt. Smooth with pretty good flavors but really nothing special. I like it but its not my first choice.

Brown Shugga' from Lagunitas Brewing Company