Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Brown Shugga' - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Brown Shugga'Brown Shugga'

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Strong Ale |  9.99% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 12-13-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brown Shugga' Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,444 | Hads: 5,015
4.17/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

My first tasting of a Lagunitas offering and I wasn't disappointed.

Great darkish-amber color with a decent head and good lacing down the glass. Not overly carbonated and almost syrupy in texture, it was very smooth going down. I enjoyed the distinctive IPA flavor from this ale - so I can only imagine what one of their IPAs would taste like. Although I wasn't too impressed by it's overall odor, I was very happy with the flavoring and strong, bold taste of this ale - very, very good. (493 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Picked up a six-pack at my local Trig's grocer. The fact that I pulled it out of an unopened box on the display floor is probably a good sign that it's relatively fresh. Poured at cellar temperature into a snifter.

L: Pours a burnt sienna with about an inch-and-a-half of billowy tan head that sticks around for a good while and leaves nice lacing on the glass. Just a bit hazy, with plenty of visible carbonation.

S: Caramel malt and molasses notes are quite prominent, with added scents of raisins and dried stone fruit. Some subtle black pepper and clove in the mix, as well. Nice bouquet.

T: Sweet caramel malts at the front, accompanied by notes of molasses and rum raisin. Just a bit of a buttery quality in the middle, along with touches of the aforementioned spices, black pepper and clove. The hop flavor builds in the middle, providing a bit of tart into bitter at the sides and back of the tongue--some grassy and herbal notes. The clear alcohol starts to kick in just before the end and into the aftertaste, but it really is covered up quite well by the molasses/brown sugar sweetness of this brew.

F: Medium-bodied, creamy, and very nicely carbonated. This one has a bit of stick, but I wouldn't classify it as outright syrupy. Leaves a good bit of bitter on the palate at the close.

O: This one certainly packs a punch, and it does so with very little in the way of clear alcohol coming through. The richness of the flavors and the overall sweetness are befitting a holiday brew. Lagunitas has yet to disappoint me--this is another one I highly recommend. (1,574 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Excellent malt with the perfect balance of hops for this strong ale, at 9.9% it knocks you on your behind faster than you'd imagine especially with how smooth, and tasty this beer is. If you haven't tried it you should get your hands on some. (242 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Lagunitas has nailed the whole concept of brand loyalty by making all their beers taste like variations on the same theme, which I think centers around their IPA. No guesswork, no bad experiments. They all have the same dominating hop profile, so if you like one, you'll probably like them all.

Brown Shugga is the richer, maltier variety of their IPA. It pours a clear, burnt red color with some head at the top which forms some neat "crop circles" and yeast rings at the top after a few minutes. The nose has that classic bright, grapefruit hoppy flavor, but with more than a small share of burnt brown sugar, some heavy booziness like a barelywine. A bit of apricot and some nice esters come out after a time.

The taste makes the 9.9% abv quite evident, but it's still fairly relaxed. The texture has a sticky, thick quality to it, and the foam sticks around a bit, so that makes all the flavors last in your throat for quite some time. That said, there's very little bitterness considering all the hops that Lagunitas seems to like to use. I had this beer once when it came out and again now, 6 months later. Some of the fruity crispness has mellowed out and the richer flavors seem stronger now, so you can definitely say it ages in an interesting way, possibly becoming more of the beer I was expecting it to be, and less like a malty IPA as it was fresh.

Overall, one of the more unique and exciting options from one of my favorite breweries who have mastered the art of quality without prolificacy. (1,518 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

L: Pours brilliant brown to chestnut under a 1” clingy creamy white foam collar.
S: Malt and light fruit aromas with some spice.
T: Big complex sweet malt up front with traces of dark sugar and fruit culminating in a dry finish with a bitter hop accent.
F: Medium body and carbonation, slight warming.
O: A big, satiating, bold beer for after work (353 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Finally found some of this. Not the Sucks, the original...
Pours very easy n nice, almost a dark golden/amber not hazy look to it, with an all around head that lasts thru out also adequate lacing to boot. Smells of sugar beets, brown sugar, light hops and sweetness. Tastes almost like liquid candy. Tastes of Super sweet and a slight tartness with a bite of hops. Intoxicating yet light on your pallet, besides all the sugar lol. Ummm... alittle too sweet for me but as Lagunitas becoming one of my favourite brewer's I defintley respect what they have done here. Respect ☆☆☆ (582 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -36.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Looks nice in the glass. Well-carbonated for a strong ale. Nose is heavy booze, with a touch of brown sugar sweetness. Taste... wow, booze and more booze. Sweet, bordering on sickeningly so. Nothing else really stands out. Would much rather have their replacement (Sucks) than this.

**Re-review a couple weeks later... Smelled and tasted great, though still a bit boozy. I think maybe my initial review was of a compromised bottle. The place where I bought the 6-pack had been out of Shugga' for several weeks at least, but lo and behold, I spied a sixer in a plain label mixed pack with Lagunitas caps, way behind the other beers. Pulled it out and discovered 6 bottles of Shugga' and was ecstatic! Well, maybe something happened to the previous bottle I reviewed, because I came back and drank two a couple weeks later and it tasted wonderful. (846 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -18.3%

Reviewed 12/31/2014; purchased in December 2014.

Appearance: Pours an extremely dark amber/red with 2 fingers of frothy/foamy khaki head. Nice retention of a thin, yellowish sandy cap. Epic lacing.

Aroma: Markedly hoppy. Tropical and resinous. Really great aroma. Love this smell; tropical & malty.

Taste: Sweet arrival, tart & fruity, extremely bitter finish. I'd put this higher than 51 IBUs. Some alcohol on the finish. A little cloying at the end; slightly off-putting.

Mouthfeel: Lighter than expected; somewhat astringent; a little like Mirror Pond in that respect but not as much; relatively little carbonation and somewhat slick.

Overall: I was about to say I really like this, but the bitterness and alcohol combine at the end [as it warms] to make this just a little unpleasant. Somewhat cloying. (821 characters)

3.44/5  rDev -13.6%

Love reading the label, but didn't really like the beer. Too sweet. Odd chemical aftertaste.
I realize I'm in the minority here, but I'm not a huge Lagunitas fan. Have yet to find any of their offerings to my liking. (221 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Interesting! Clear orange to amber color with a 1" creamy head that hung around for days and left remnants of itself on the side of the glass all the way down. Sweet brown sugar and hops smell. Taste is sweet and malty but crisp and hoppy also if thats even possible. Alcohol kicks in at the end for just the right feel. I'll buy more. (335 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A - Poured a clear dark amber with a little chill haze, slight red hue to the color. Head was thick and frothy a mix of medium bubbles and lots of fine suds.

S - Aroma is a dark complex amalgam of sweet malt. A candied cherry fruitness. tons and tons of molasses, rum like. Burnt sugar.

T - I have had this 6 pack for a few months, upon first release it was very hoppy. Its only probably been 3 months tops? the hops have fallen off completely to let the beautiful malt shine. This is certainly unique from other barleywine style ales as it is very rum like. SO I guess its less of a malt character and more of a candy, sugar. Lots of toffee. Although the aroma hops have faded, the finish is very hoppy, not so much bitter but just a nice bite, very quenching, and balances the malt sweetness well. Without this it would be way too cloying, but that is not the case. This beer is great.

M - Mouthfeel is par for the course, thick, just enough carbonation to keep it lively. finishes sweet but the bitter hops as mentioned above quell the sweetness.

O - This beer is probably my favorite from Lagunitas. If your looking for a traditional barleywine this might be a little too sweet and rummy, but it tastes great to me, just a unique flavor. Also I try not to make a review about price and value as I feel a beer should be judged on what it is over economics... but man, 9.99 for a 6 pack of this??? In a sea of 11.99 4 packs, such a great beer for 9.99 a sixer gets me everytime. (1,488 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A-Orange clear color with an off white head
S-Straight up Crystal 70/80, malty goodness
T-Boozy bitter bite at the front and a nice linger at the back end.
M-Peppery over carbonation, but it cleanses the palate
O-I must admit that this is a brew that tastes identical to something I brewed a few years back, it is so odd, so I am partial to enjoying it. That said, the alcohol is somewhat overpowering... (405 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

mmmmmmm, smell that booze.
nice, sweet little ale, warms you up.
not overly hop-y, I think the sweetness takes care of that.
these can sneak up on you quick. drink slow and enjoy the lace. (188 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Beautiful amber color, deliciously sweet and hoppy...different, but good balance. Slightly boozy nose, sweet on the tongue and finishes with just a hint of bitterness. (167 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: [4.50] The beer is a rust to brown color. It pours out with a full finger of dense white head. The head recedes slowly and leaves a lot of lacing on the glass. The beer has a date code that says it was born on 12/12/14. The bottle lists the ABV at 9.9%.

S: [3.50] Maybe candied raisins. I am not getting a strong nose on this beer. As it warms I am getting more brown sugar - but I can't tell if that is just the power of suggestion.

T: [3.50] I get a hint of smokiness early. Then there is a flush of sweet caramel flavor.

M: [4.00] The mouthfeel is great. It feels heavy like you might expect at almost 10% but there is no sense of the alcohol. The finish is short and a little dry.

O: [3.75] This beer looks great in a glass. It leaves tremendous lacing as it is enjoyed. The nose is just weak. I can't zero in on anything to hold on to. The flavor is sweet and delicious - not like other beers that I can think of. This might be a nice dessert beer (typically a role filled by stouts). I can't imagine drinking more than 1-2 of these at a time. There is a lot of sweetness happening it might pile up. (1,129 characters)

Beautiful reddish amber. Roasted malt, pepper, and fruit on the news. The taste is much the same with lots of sweetness and alcoholic bite. It's great. I'd get it again. (169 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -41%

Holy tap-dancing Christ that's sweet. Like almost too sweet.

Yeah. Brown sugar sweet. Like cough syrup or something. Cloying. I can see why some might like it. But not for me. How did this get legendary?

(Retrospect: maybe it's the slightly sweet-cum-boozy undertone that makes people go nuts for it? I don't know; I couldn't get into it.) (341 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -26.1%

An elegant pile of foam on the coppery orange brew poured in the New Belgium snifter. Interesting woody and herbal aroma.

Flavor is sweet, inappropriately bitter, murky, and sticky. It tastes like an Old Ale with the candied yams, sweet vermouth, and rust, all followed by a crunch of the aspirin tablet. Aside from the flavor, it's a well-made beer like everything from Lagunitas.

This used to be one of my favorite beers. There was the mystery of them stopping production for a few years-- maybe it was just too good. Why anybody stops making a successful beer needs an answer. It's just unfortunate it seems to be lost forever. From the 12 oz bottle in a six pack tha has been tough to get through. But when you need a bedtime beer with the right punch, you can overlook the taste. (786 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +4.3%

Dark copper in color. The nose is hoppy. The flavor profile has a blend of subtle malty sweetness and hop bitterness – the hop bitterness comes out on top.

I’m probably giving in to the marketing too much but I swear that I can catch the faint essence of brown sugar. This beer certainly paired well with baked ham and potatoes for a classic Sunday dinner with the family. (380 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Despite Lagunitas being one of my favorite breweries, I always looked over this one since I'm not a huge fan of barley wines. I saw one 6 pack left and figured I would give it a go. I'd like to formally apologize to Lagunitas for doubting them because this beer was great.

I figured it would be a malt bomb barley wine. After smelling it I was nervous I was right. I could smell those Lagunitas' hops, but the smell was dominated by a malty smell. The taste, however, is different in a good way.

The malt flavor is still there, but the Lagunitas' hops run the show while the malt compliments the hops. Easily drinkable at 9.9 percent and a fantastic beer. (657 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +3.5%

Great dessert beer on it's own or pared with something. Beautiful colour and very nice nose. Taste is a little too malty for my taste but it masks the high abv pretty well. Nice sweet caramel flavour. Lagunitas just make great beers no matter style. (249 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

If Lagunitas Sucks! is the hop forward DIPA of their line, then this is the malt forward version. I would say Hop Stoopid is the tropical flavored version. This is an exceptional malt balanced DIPA that is quite worthy of it's name.

Would seek out and purchase again. (268 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Clear, dark amber beer with a high yellow-biege, fluffy head that leaves a LOT of lacing on the glass!

Nose: Caramel malt, butter, dried fruit, alcohol, orange, clementine, marmelade and syrup.
Taste: Syrup, caramel, dried fruit, pine, tropical fruit, wood and resin. A special "Lagunitas" taste that I've recognised before...
Body: Full body with medium carbonation. Oily, smooth taste with a lot of components. Great dry finish. A bitter taste that stays and even increase at the end.

This is a ****ing great beer! I think it's a little too sweet for a dinner but great after a good meal, skip the desert! (612 characters)

3.98/5  rDev 0%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Founders snifter

Appearance: Pours a clear medium amber color with a half-inch off-white head dissipating quickly into a thin lacing.

Smell: Sweet caramel malt up front with a surprisingly strong tropical/citrus hop presence strikes an interesting balance.

Taste: Similar to the smell - mix of sweet caramel and tropical hops. The hops accentuate the malt backbone very well. No real alcohol heat.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full-bodied with medium carbonation.

Overall: It's fairly difficult to classify this beer - doesn't really come off like a typical American barleywine, but it's very good. (625 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

12 FLUID OZ bottle
Served in a snifter

It is rust colored with burnt orange highlights. It has a few inches of tan head topping it off.

It has a sweet alcohol smell. There is also a slight citrus aroma.

The taste is just like it smells. It starts out sweet. Then the alcohol comes into play. The finish is citrus.

The mouthfeel is medium.

It has been several years since I have had this beer. It is pretty darn good. I actually pretty much like all Lagunitas beers, but I typically buy Ohio and Michigan beers since I'm a homer. (534 characters)

Brown Shugga' from Lagunitas Brewing Company