Follow our progress ...

Style: American Strong Ale

Added by kbub6f on 12-13-2001

Reviews: 1,517 | Ratings: 5,384
4.18/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Beautiful beer. Clear amber-copper color with a thick and lasting tan head. Nice spicy malty aroma. Clean bitterness framed by the malt and some caramel/toffee. Gentle warming and does not feel like a big ABV beer.

4.21/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

This went down way too easy for a strong ale! Poured dark brown, copper, with two fingers and great lacing out of a bottle. Aroma was not strong, but hinted at the sweetness to come. Taste was sweet malt with a nice brown sugar finish. Feel was smooth and easy, and you have no idea this is a 10% ABV. Dangerously good.

3.97/5  rDev -0.7%

I'm rating this fifth beer from a sixer I purchased a while back, and at this point I've probably overthought this thing too much to review it without bias, but here goes, so chalk any vacillation up to pure ambivalence.

A mountain of tan froth stands atop this brown brew and dissolves slowly until only a few bubbles are left. Herbal hops to the front aroma-wise and a following of medium fruits and perfume. Notes of fruit and sugar are quickly overtaken by a wave of bitterness which is followed by a balancing caramel sweetness. Medium to heavy and the alcohol is barely noticed.

Brown Shugga' is all over the place, off the charts and static and fairly "normal" all at the same time. The dual nature of this beer will make it for some and break it for others. And while I can't pin it down stylistically, I can't really find any definite faults with it either.

3.54/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

If you like beers with a high bitter factor this is for you. I was expect something totally different. I should have read the description. However I like this beer. It's definitely not a beer you drink after yard work or even one you simply chug. It's a beer to be appreciated. Take your time and enjoy the bitter and boozy notes.

3.27/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

6-pack bottles

Look: caramel/amber, not as dark as I was expecting.
Smell:Floral, hoppy
Taste: Very bitter (didn't read the IBU until after purchase, my fault), not much brown sugar like I was expecting although it came through a little once my taste got a little numb to the bitterness. Higher ABV was not real noticeable.
Feel: Nothing special to note, good or bad.

Overall: I didn't really care for it. I'm not into the overly hopped beer trend and this one is very hop forward. I think I would have liked it if the bitterness was dialed back. I wouldn't have bought it had I seen the IBU rating prior to purchase, but the name threw me off. Was expecting more of a sweeter malty beer. Not so much.That being said, I did drink the whole 6 (over a few days). I'm sure I would have rated it higher if I was into the bitter beers.

3.31/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Flavor is good and there is some fruitiness, but overall very bitter. That's not my things, but I can appreciate that it is a good beer. ABV is high but there wasn't too much of the boozy taste. It's a nice beer if you like the bitter.

3.69/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pour a clear, amber color with a white head. Smell us very hop forward, citrus, tropical, and alcohol. The smell through me off, was expecting a brown ale by the name but more like a ipa. Taste very bitter, off balance. Bitter and sweetness with some fruity notes and then nasty bitterness to finish. Horrible finishing taste of a bad ipa, not like the other Lagunitas if tried. Has a nice carbonation, very thin. Overall I did not like, and wouldn't recommend or buy again. Maybe I was thrown off by the name expecting more a dark beer, just was not very good to me. The balance was just very off to me, too sweet and bitter combined not good. I have another bottle I'll keep and try again just incase my taste was off tonight.

3.62/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Look- Amber or burnt orange. A lasting, frothy head. Carbonation is visible. A good-looking brew.

Smell- Mainly a fruity hop character. Orange, tangerine, pineapple, tropical fruits. Not getting the brown sugar too much, but it's certainly a sweet aroma.

Taste/Feel- A bit disappointed here. Not a bad beer by any means but perhaps overly hopped. Does a "Brown Shugga" beer really need to be 51 IBU? It does more than balance here. In my opinion, it outshines. Growing on me a bit as I drink it, the more caramel, brown sugar notes becoming slightly more apparent, but hops are the real star here. The alcohol is well-hidden, but this is still a strong beer for a developed palate because the bitterness lingers. I guess I've been spoiled by Belgian beers lately that manage to have a much cleaner aftertaste at this ABV. Not as well-rounded as I had hoped.

Glad I tried it, but probably would not seek this one out again.

4.16/5  rDev +4%

pours out a deep caramel with a nice mocha head

I pick up banana and pineapple notes.

very big malt sweetness . a big beer with aggressive sweetness. caramel.

chewy, fruity finish.

for me, one is enough of this style in one sitting, but very tasty imo. nice treat.

4.23/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

12 oz bottle. Clear bright orange amber color with two finger head, great retention, coating lace. Sugary sweet aroma. Sweet syrupy taste immediately countered by dank piney and citrus rind hop bitterness, powerful. This brew is strong and a bit boozy but so drinkable, it's weird, just kept tasting and it was gone. The flavors just work well together, dangerous. Finish is dry and the hops stick around just long enough. Medium to full soft mouthfeel, glides down. Had this one awhile back and don't recall it being this tasty. Great brew, gonna get some more.

4.08/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Crisp and flavorful. The ac is there but not at all overwhelming. Having this now on a damp cold night. This is one of the better beers I have had of late. I wish the bouquet were better however I feel my novice nose is to blame. Will be looking for it again.

3.95/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I don't have much experience with this style but STRONG Ale is fitting for this one. It is definitely unusual but am trying to expand my horizons to the different styles. Huge sweet aroma and taste. Boozy too. The more I sip it the more I think it is growing on me. I only picked up 1 bottle in a mixed sixer so will definitely try again.

4.34/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This beer pours a beautiful crystal clear dark amber color with a 2 finger off white head. The retention is very good and lasts all the way through. There are also huge sheets of lacing. The smell is brown sugar and sweet caramel malts with a hint of grapefruit and pine. Taste is the same, but also getting some orange and a touch of alcohol. Feel is light side of medium, but suprisingly light for the abv. Overall this beer is fantastic and a winter seasonal that I patiently wait all year for.

4.44/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a snifter from a bottle. Beautiful dark brown with creamy head and great lacing. Pleasant pungent smell. Great hoppy sweetness with the right amount of bitterness. A very enjoyable beer.

4.33/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

First review here. So here goes:
Look: Very nice head with great lacing all the way to the last sip
Smell: Smells a lot like a Lagunitas beer, and that is a good thing (to me at least)
Taste: Different than most I've had but tasty. Good hop snap to it
Feel : Pretty smooth is the best way I can explain this
Overall: Wow. Really like this beer. So impressed with the drinkability at this abv

4.65/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours nice into a tulip glass, nice color with a substantial head. I am sure there are more descript ratings of this beer then mine but, I can say that Lagunitas has contently put out great beer and never disappointed.

3.97/5  rDev -0.7%

On tap. Pours a hazy light brown color with a two finger head that leaves a small ring of lacing at the top of the glass. Aroma of alcohol and caramel malts, with the alcohol being the dominant smell. Taste is caramel, brown sugar, and a slight nuttiness before an acidic, boozy finish. Medium body and medium carbonation with a very boozy finish and minimal alcohol aftertaste. Kinda shocks the tongue.
The taste isn't over-run with alcohol and the alcohol is actually decently hidden until the after taste. Nice sweet body to make it very drinkable. Body is a little light, but still doesn't feel too off. Another solid one from Lagunitas.

4.86/5  rDev +21.5%

Lagunitas Brown Sugga

Due to Lagunitas constantly putting out great beer ( for the most part ) I wanted this one for quite some time. Seeing as this is the brew Sucks replaced, I shall hold it to the same standard in terms of my ratings. Finally at long last found a sixer for $11.99 at my local shop. Drank one, and I'll review on the second one. Passed up Blackout Stout for this guy, let's hope it was worth it. Enough talk, let's crack this fucker.

Look - From the twelve ounce bottle into a pint glass. Pours a crystal clear amber with a monster moderately off white head that sticks around forever and a half leaving immediate stick as it slowly dies down to a large frothy canyon amongst the top of the drink. The carbonation appears to be very low on this brew. Lacing is extraordinarily attractive after the brew is finished and leaves a nice sticky ladder to the depthsof the promised land of hell.

Smell - The nose starts of pungent with a large smack in the face of bitter fruit juices and brown sugar. There is an ever presence of alcohol as expected for 9.8% but it is nice and fits the beer very well. Doesn't smell like a high abv stout or what have you, much cleaner without any specific alcoholic beverage to match it up to. Caramel maltyness as well.

Taste - The flavor profile starts off with a smorgasbord of that big bitter fruit juicyness I mentioned in the smell. The brown sugar and malty goodness are as prevent as you would think and the two meld perfectly and turn just a touch spicy on the tail end. Alcohol has a bit of a showing at the tail end as well though it is very tame for the beer being nearly ten fucking percent. The fruits I'm picking up are pineapple dominant with a touch of grapefruit and mango.

Feel - The feel on this one can vary considerably depending on the temperature of the beer as I've noticed. Drink this one on the warm side for full effect. Body is thin to full,again, depending on the temperature. Since the head has settles down to a thick frothy cap after half an hour the brew is very creamy. A nice spicyness in the mouth and all the flavors mentioned in the nose remain. A bit of an alcohol bite but it is so pleasant and fittingly so that you'll wanna smack your wife.

Overall - Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. This one was well worth the wait. A perfect unison of malt and hop. Too fucking easy to drink at just barely shy of 10%. Flavors come together as best they can for the abv and they are just...damn bruh. Lagunitas really did it with this beer. One of the best strong IPAs I have ever come across. Of you are a DIPA fan and you see this, buy it. All. It reminded me of the undercover shutdown ale they put out, only with better hoppyness and better balance. Truly a masterpiece. End review..

3.97/5  rDev -0.7%

Look: On tap, nice amber-brown color, small head but solid lacing.

Aroma: Malt forward with some sweetness, slightly boozy.

Taste: Flavor matches the expectations set by the aroma, Malt City.

Feel: Very smooth, medium carbonation with a malty bitterness coating your mouth.

3.38/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

For me, just not a fan. Has a very strong flavor that is unique to any beer I have had before. I can see why some folks would love this. It has a very interesting aftertaste that is sort of sweet, but overall I would not buy this again.

4/5  rDev 0%

appearance- Dark red/copper in color. Pours a slightly tan colored two inch head. Head recedes slowly with a good amount of lacing left behind.

aroma- Very sweet with toffee, pine, and orange candy being most notable.

taste- Lots of caramel and brown sugar sweetness at first followed by a little bit of pine hop flavor and bitterness. That orange candy sweetness definitely shows up towards he finish along with a little bit of lingering pine flavor/bitterness and caramel sweetness.

feel- Full bodied, medium carbonation, a little sticky first but surprisingly clean in the finish.

overall- Great strong ale that maintains just enough balance despite all the sweetness. Kind of reminds me of SN celebration if the malt bill was doubled. Definitely a good winter time pickup.

4.13/5  rDev +3.3%

A beer that is as good as advertised. It is sweet without becoming cloying and still has just enough bitterness to burst through the brown cane sugar. And you can't really tell that its borderline 10% ABV.

3.75/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Cool beer here, plenty unique. Brown color with reddish hues. Aroma of brown sugar, (duh) and not much else.

Hides alcohol with all that sweetness. Easy drinking, but watch out. Still gives a little hop prick to ya, even through out all that sweetness. Good stuff. Deceptively strong.

3.49/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

L: ruby red color with white head
S: big sweetness and hops
T: hops, sweetness, and alcohol/medicine.
F: fairly thin and the medicine flavor lingers.

4.67/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Great sweet sugar and hop combo. Somehow balances that, and dank and citrus, in a way that's sweet yet highly drinkable. Avoids the cake-like cloying trap other sweet DIPA's tend to employ. This stands on its own. Caramel, floral and citrus. Alcohol is hidden except for the peppery/ sweet after-bite. Sips quickly for a nearly 10% abv. brew. The only downfall is that I only took out a single to buy from the six pack I found at the market. What a value.

Brown Shugga' from Lagunitas Brewing Company