Brown Shugga' - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Brown Shugga'Brown Shugga'

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Strong Ale |  9.99% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 12-13-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brown Shugga' Alström Bros

BuckeyeFaninMI, Nov 10, 2013

zaptone, Nov 09, 2013

gueuzedreg, Nov 09, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

DaKur, Nov 09, 2013
3.81/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured into my Lagunitas mason jar glass.

A- Half a finger's head, brown and some visibility through it. Reminds me of an imperial red ale.

S- Hops, which surprised me. And sugar, of course. It smells sweet.

T- Although the ABV is 9.9%, I don't taste a lot of alcohol. I taste hops, some mild bitterness and then back of the mouth sticky sugar.

M- This is somewhat of a thick beer. But it goes down smooth.

O- This is my first time having it. It's different than my typical IPA's and stouts. At 9.9% ABV, it's really drinkable. I think this is a great fall/winter offering. You can't beat the price of this 6-pack for the amount of alcohol in the beer. Even though I did enjoy this beer, I'm not sure if I'd pick up another 6 pack. But, it's well crafted and something I'd expect from Lagunitas.

aleckpa, Nov 09, 2013

Jslay013, Nov 09, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

Soloveitchik, Nov 09, 2013

Socalfan21, Nov 09, 2013

jbeervt, Nov 09, 2013

MykeJ, Nov 09, 2013
4.4/5  rDev +9.5%

Pours a amberish copper with a finger of off white head, a lot clearer then last years offering.

Smell is, well it smells like a DIPA, Date is 297 3 which is crazy fresh, about 10 days old... Pine, Citrus, tropical notes, kind of a green earthy hop finish.

Taste is just super good and unique, citrusy and piney hops, huge bready malt backing, toffee, caramel, a lot of sweetness from the brown sugar, a little bit of alcohol on the finish.

Mouthfeel is full and syrupy, light carbonation, wetish finish. Works nice.

A great beer, Lagunitas is one of those breweries that I can buy anything from and know I am going to at the very least like it.... Not many breweries out there I can say that about, I like this one fresh, it is also great aged. At its price you are almost required to pick up a 6 if not more!

nickapalooza86, Nov 09, 2013
3.4/5  rDev -15.4%

Tried this one and while I like it I am not sure I can recommend. At 9.9% it is definitely a strong ale and I could not imagine drinking more than one of these at a sitting The brown sugar is quite pronounced from smell through taste. Along with the the hops and the strong malt backbone it is an interesting contrast. Ok, I will recommend!

kjlcm, Nov 09, 2013

WallE89, Nov 08, 2013

IPAdams, Nov 08, 2013

Eaglefan344, Nov 08, 2013
4.4/5  rDev +9.5%

A - clear orange/amber color nice light colored head with a lot of carbonation. Pretty good lacing.

S - light citrus with a crisp smell that comes later. Good smell, not extremely strong.

T - very strong taste, full of citrusy hops of front and finishes sweet but not as sweet as I thought. Nice and complex with lots of favors going on. This is the best thing about this beer. Some booziness or I would have rated it even higher here.

M - boozy, sticky, good carbonation, decent thickness but not great

O - I'm glad I tried this one as it was a really good beer. It was much better than I expected. Will probably have a couple more and cellar a couple.

s_wit, Nov 08, 2013
4.38/5  rDev +9%

The beer comes a deep red ruby color with a huge fluffy tight off white head.

The aroma has super sweet caramel, candy sugar, toffee. It has a slight citrus along with deep pine and some of that garlic/onion. Good amount of heavy breadiness as well as some booze and yeast.

The flavor follows with a citrus and floral hint and onto tons of heavy caramel and sugary sweetness. Later into the beer, it actually causes you to smack your lips as the sugary just coats and coats your lips. The middle hints of some garlic and onion notes and then moves onto an extremely hoppy and bitter piney, resinous finish.

The beer dances that beautiful line between sweetness and bitterness. It really attacks hard on both sides. A really exceptional example of an American Barleywine.

dar482, Nov 08, 2013