Brown Shugga' - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Brown Shugga'Brown Shugga'

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Strong Ale |  9.99% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 12-13-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brown Shugga' Alström Bros
4.56/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Celebrating my two year anniversary at the high school I currently teach at in Korea, I wanted a way to bring it all back home so to speak, enjoying this California beer, even though I have been across the Pacific for some time now. I have had this little gem sitting in my 'fridge for a while, and thought it the perfect opportunity to open it up, and enjoy its bountiful offerings.

Poured from a 12-ounce bottle into an appropriate cup, it came out smooth, a darkened-Amber color flowing seamlessly from vessel to vessel. Settling nicely with minimal foam, apart from its appearance, the first thing that jumped out at me from the wide rim of the glass, was the aroma; a strong scent which transported my mind immediately back to California, regardless of my actual physical location. I could almost taste this beer through its smell; that strong, and that alluring.

Upon tasting though, my realities were again questioned, as this 9.9% ale packs a punch even as it sat in my mouth, visiting it seemed, all 5,000 taste buds before making its rounds to the neurons within my brain. This beer I was enjoying, was at a time, part of a larger six-pack, but while drinking just this one for my celebration, it was beyond me how long it would take to finish all six. Woulda been silly!

Overall, as the statistics prove, this is an absolutely incredible beer, taking no prisoners, while at the same time, allowing for...ne...encouraging transcendence beyond space and time. My space is here in Korea, my time is for the past two years, but while I sipped on this Brown Shugga', I was back along the West Coast, in mind, body, and soul...

4.45/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The odd thing here is that when I originally tasted this beer, December 2012, I didn't like it. I didn't see what all the fuss was about. Maybe cause I was expecting more of a "brown sugar" taste to the beer.

I cellared the remaining four bottles I had and on a whim, decided to open one about two weeks back. To my surprise, I found the taste phenomenal this time. The quintessential American barley wine, it tastes to me like Anchor Steam's Old Foghorn "should" taste. Really delicious and I really doubt the four months of cellaring made that much of a difference.

Sorry now that I didn't buy more and will certainly get more when it arrives again late this year.

Brown Shugga' from Lagunitas Brewing Company