Brown Shugga' - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Brown Shugga'Brown Shugga'

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Strong Ale |  9.99% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 12-13-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brown Shugga' Alström Bros

3.94/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Piggly Wiggly tulip. Bottled in 9/2012, so a little over a year old now.

A - Dark burnt orange. Eggshell white head is very creamy looking and leaves good retention.

S - Stale hops, brown sugar (surprise!).

T - Burnt sugar, Black tea hops, caramel. No hint of alcohol. Very smooth.

M - Medium, creamy mouthfeel. Medium carbonation.

O - Really well rounded beer. I like it much better than the fresh version. It seems to be a much smoother and easier drinking version.

4.01/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Tasty. Sweet. Strong and powerful. Odd after taste. A little like a good dip. Definitely taste and smell the brown sugar. Very mellow in your mouth. Sweet release is a good name as you have a hint of brown sugar in the after taste. Don't have any? Get some!

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

3.82/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured into my Lagunitas mason jar glass.

A- Half a finger's head, brown and some visibility through it. Reminds me of an imperial red ale.

S- Hops, which surprised me. And sugar, of course. It smells sweet.

T- Although the ABV is 9.9%, I don't taste a lot of alcohol. I taste hops, some mild bitterness and then back of the mouth sticky sugar.

M- This is somewhat of a thick beer. But it goes down smooth.

O- This is my first time having it. It's different than my typical IPA's and stouts. At 9.9% ABV, it's really drinkable. I think this is a great fall/winter offering. You can't beat the price of this 6-pack for the amount of alcohol in the beer. Even though I did enjoy this beer, I'm not sure if I'd pick up another 6 pack. But, it's well crafted and something I'd expect from Lagunitas.

3.5/5  rDev -13.2%

4.41/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours a amberish copper with a finger of off white head, a lot clearer then last years offering.

Smell is, well it smells like a DIPA, Date is 297 3 which is crazy fresh, about 10 days old... Pine, Citrus, tropical notes, kind of a green earthy hop finish.

Taste is just super good and unique, citrusy and piney hops, huge bready malt backing, toffee, caramel, a lot of sweetness from the brown sugar, a little bit of alcohol on the finish.

Mouthfeel is full and syrupy, light carbonation, wetish finish. Works nice.

A great beer, Lagunitas is one of those breweries that I can buy anything from and know I am going to at the very least like it.... Not many breweries out there I can say that about, I like this one fresh, it is also great aged. At its price you are almost required to pick up a 6 if not more!

3.39/5  rDev -15.9%

Tried this one and while I like it I am not sure I can recommend. At 9.9% it is definitely a strong ale and I could not imagine drinking more than one of these at a sitting The brown sugar is quite pronounced from smell through taste. Along with the the hops and the strong malt backbone it is an interesting contrast. Ok, I will recommend!

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%