Brown Shugga' - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Brown Shugga'Brown Shugga'

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Strong Ale |  9.99% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 12-13-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brown Shugga' Alström Bros

4.23/5  rDev +5%

Beautiful red amber color with a healthy thick white head that laced and stuck to the glass. A nice citrus hop that i mplies a little sweetness. The taste was malty, without being as hoppy as some of the other Lagunitas seasonals. Since this comes out every other year, I almost forgot how good this beer is. It is smoother than wild, and has more fruit flavors -orange - than any other Lagunitas in my opinion. The alcohol is well hidden, and this is one of the best offerings from this brewery.

4.13/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my duvel snifter

A- poured a clear golden amber color... thick white head, damn sticky lacing all over my glass.... love it

S- smells of sugar, maybe not brown, caramel malt, rye malt, earthy funk

T- I taste a more pronounced sugar fling, rye malt, earthy funk with a well grounded balance....

M- sugary, rye bitterness, earthy hop bite with a lingering sugar smack... noy like the cereal though

O- my first ever lagunitas brew ever.... this may turn me on to them but this brew also reminds me of 2 brothers cane & Abel with a slight lightness.... as far as thickness.... love this brew

4.33/5  rDev +7.4%

Can't believe this is the first time I've had this one. Poured from bottle into brooklyn tulip. Pours a transparent dark amber color. Nice fluffy white head, recedes slowly leaving sticky white lacing all over the glass. Not sure what I was expecting here, but this isn't it. It looks and smells like a DIPA. Smell- citrus hops, tea leaves, orange peel (from the hoppy aroma). Taste- hop blast down my throat. Drying citrusy hop oil scorches my throat. Its followed by a tropical fruit backbone. Absolutely zero trace of brown sugar here at all. Is this a DIPA? I'm confused. Was expecting something along the lines of a barleywine, but this is a DIPA, I don't care what they call it. That said, its delicious, wonderful hop profile and great malt backbone.

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%

4.75/5  rDev +17.9%

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a crystal clear chestnut color. There's a decent two finger offwhite color head with average retention. As it recedes, a thin film of patch lacing is left behind.

S: That typical Lagunitas aromatic profile is apparent in full force, full of leafy, citrusy goodness. Concentrating further will help me pick up a nicely sweet malt backbone, full of caramel, toffee, marzipan, and - dare I say - brown sugar. I could smell it all day.

T/M: The sweetness/bitterness balance is well measured. Like a lot of offerings from Lagunitas, the citrusy hop profile comes across as almost sweetish rather than bitter, and it happens to be a perfect companion with the nutty, vaguely sweet maltiness. I thought it would be a bit too sweet, but the finishing dryness does a great job of keeping things in check. All of the general flavors are subtle rather than pulverizing - it makes it really easy to drink for 10%, though perhaps it could be slightly bolder. The body never comes across as too heavy or boozy, allowing it to go down effortlessly.

O: As far as I'm concerned, Lagunitas can do little wrong in my book. And this is another example of how good Lagunitas is.

A - Murky red brilliantly clear body with a light khaki head. The head simmers down into a thin outer wisp and the lacing is amazing.

S - Hops foremost. I get floral aromas and a really clean bright smell. I detect a bit of fuselage alcohol but I guess that is to be expected in a 10% beer. Maybe I smell just the tiniest hint of caramelization which could be brown sugar. I'd expect more from a beer named 'Brown Shugga'.

T - Pleasantly sweet and hoppy tastes up front. More caramel flavor than smell is obviously apparent here. The hoppy tastes of floral and sweetness really give it a sweet taste but the firm bitterness helps cut it back so it is quite palatable. Again, I can't specifically place a brown sugar taste, but there is some big caramel taste. A slight boozy note in the finish, but surprisingly hidden well.

M - Medium to heavy-medium bodied. Perfect carbonation levels, slight fuselage burning sensation.

O - A delightfully decadent treat from Lagunitas. I was imagining that there would be more brown sugar detectable throughout the beer, but it was lacking. The beer is wonderful, and superbly drinkable, so even without a big brown sugar presence this is still one to seek out and grab.

3.95/5  rDev -2%

A - Deep copper/brown, with 2 fingers of head and nice sticky lace left all over the glass

S - Sugar cane and alcohol! Lots of brown sugar and toasty malts.

T - Sweet as a M)($%*(^$%($#^%. Wow. Lots of sugar. Lots of alcohol.

M - Oily, medium bodied, and fairly high carbonation.

O - Good, but I can only drink about half of one of these and I am done. Too sweet and strong

3.95/5  rDev -2%

A - pours a translucent brown reddish color with a 1" froth. Nice thick lacing with a thin cloud of foam remaining. Foam sticks around like an annoying in-law but in this case, it's allowed.

S - smells hoppy sweet with some caramel and brown shugga. Some nice malt tones in there as well and possible some sort of citrus zest. Just a nice blend. It's like walking into a bakery and getting the aroma of sweet dough.

T - it's like the hops had a fight with brown shugga and it resulted in a draw. The guest referee was of a citrus nature which was very faint.

M - overall not bad. It was just a little thin and flat on the finish.

O - a very nice ale. I'm glad I tried it. Now I will buy more.

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%

Nice off colored head to this but the light brown body offers little to be too enthused about. A very nice aroma offering some aromatic citrusy hops alongside a big cookie dough and brown sugar base. I like it. Flavor starts off with some grapefruit from the hops and then transitions into the sweeter side from the malt, offering some dough and brown suger. Some bitterness in the finish. Some alcohol is noticeable in the finish, it doesn't add to the beer but it also is not a deterrent in any way. A thinner but creamy and active mouthfeel, though the activity dies out prior to the finish. I kinda think a thicker mouthfeel would benefited this beer. Overall, been wanting to try this for a while now so glad the opportunity finally arrived. Worth the wait I do think, good stuff.

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%