Brown Shugga' - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Brown Shugga'Brown Shugga'

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Strong Ale |  9.99% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 12-13-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brown Shugga' Alström Bros
4.05/5  rDev +0.5%

2012 bottle

A: Pours a nice amber color with a fingers worth of head that recedes to a semi-thick layer of bubbles

S: Get a good dose of sweet crystal malts along with a healthy helping of hops as well. Hops are citrusy and earthy. Definitely barleywine-esque

T: Follows the nose. Starts off sweet with a punch of hops. The sweetness continues while the hops fade off a bit. Simple, but good

M: Medium-full bodied due to the brown sugar, with low-moderate carbonation. Very smooth

O: Barleywine gone wrong? Not at all. Pretty basic, with a bunch of malts and hops along with a good dose of brown sugar. Glad to see this one back

3.64/5  rDev -9.7%

Poured from a bottle into my jester king stem glass.

Appearance: nice clear amber color with a thick creamy head and bubbles clinging to the glass.
Smell: hoppy with a strong malt and floral background
Taste: much hoppyer than I thought it would be. I'm a little disappointed about the hoppy ness but it does tone down the alcohol of the beer.
Mouthfeel: smooth but nicely carbonated
Overall: I enjoyed this beer a good bit but I wouldn't go seek it out. If I was somewhere and it was on the menu I would order it though.

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

Beautiful red amber color with a healthy thick white head that laced and stuck to the glass. A nice citrus hop that i mplies a little sweetness. The taste was malty, without being as hoppy as some of the other Lagunitas seasonals. Since this comes out every other year, I almost forgot how good this beer is. It is smoother than wild, and has more fruit flavors -orange - than any other Lagunitas in my opinion. The alcohol is well hidden, and this is one of the best offerings from this brewery.

4.13/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my duvel snifter

A- poured a clear golden amber color... thick white head, damn sticky lacing all over my glass.... love it

S- smells of sugar, maybe not brown, caramel malt, rye malt, earthy funk

T- I taste a more pronounced sugar fling, rye malt, earthy funk with a well grounded balance....

M- sugary, rye bitterness, earthy hop bite with a lingering sugar smack... noy like the cereal though

O- my first ever lagunitas brew ever.... this may turn me on to them but this brew also reminds me of 2 brothers cane & Abel with a slight lightness.... as far as thickness.... love this brew

4.32/5  rDev +7.2%

Can't believe this is the first time I've had this one. Poured from bottle into brooklyn tulip. Pours a transparent dark amber color. Nice fluffy white head, recedes slowly leaving sticky white lacing all over the glass. Not sure what I was expecting here, but this isn't it. It looks and smells like a DIPA. Smell- citrus hops, tea leaves, orange peel (from the hoppy aroma). Taste- hop blast down my throat. Drying citrusy hop oil scorches my throat. Its followed by a tropical fruit backbone. Absolutely zero trace of brown sugar here at all. Is this a DIPA? I'm confused. Was expecting something along the lines of a barleywine, but this is a DIPA, I don't care what they call it. That said, its delicious, wonderful hop profile and great malt backbone.

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%

4.75/5  rDev +17.9%

4.22/5  rDev +4.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a crystal clear chestnut color. There's a decent two finger offwhite color head with average retention. As it recedes, a thin film of patch lacing is left behind.

S: That typical Lagunitas aromatic profile is apparent in full force, full of leafy, citrusy goodness. Concentrating further will help me pick up a nicely sweet malt backbone, full of caramel, toffee, marzipan, and - dare I say - brown sugar. I could smell it all day.

T/M: The sweetness/bitterness balance is well measured. Like a lot of offerings from Lagunitas, the citrusy hop profile comes across as almost sweetish rather than bitter, and it happens to be a perfect companion with the nutty, vaguely sweet maltiness. I thought it would be a bit too sweet, but the finishing dryness does a great job of keeping things in check. All of the general flavors are subtle rather than pulverizing - it makes it really easy to drink for 10%, though perhaps it could be slightly bolder. The body never comes across as too heavy or boozy, allowing it to go down effortlessly.

O: As far as I'm concerned, Lagunitas can do little wrong in my book. And this is another example of how good Lagunitas is.

3.99/5  rDev -1%

A - Murky red brilliantly clear body with a light khaki head. The head simmers down into a thin outer wisp and the lacing is amazing.

S - Hops foremost. I get floral aromas and a really clean bright smell. I detect a bit of fuselage alcohol but I guess that is to be expected in a 10% beer. Maybe I smell just the tiniest hint of caramelization which could be brown sugar. I'd expect more from a beer named 'Brown Shugga'.

T - Pleasantly sweet and hoppy tastes up front. More caramel flavor than smell is obviously apparent here. The hoppy tastes of floral and sweetness really give it a sweet taste but the firm bitterness helps cut it back so it is quite palatable. Again, I can't specifically place a brown sugar taste, but there is some big caramel taste. A slight boozy note in the finish, but surprisingly hidden well.

M - Medium to heavy-medium bodied. Perfect carbonation levels, slight fuselage burning sensation.

O - A delightfully decadent treat from Lagunitas. I was imagining that there would be more brown sugar detectable throughout the beer, but it was lacking. The beer is wonderful, and superbly drinkable, so even without a big brown sugar presence this is still one to seek out and grab.

3.95/5  rDev -2%

A - Deep copper/brown, with 2 fingers of head and nice sticky lace left all over the glass

S - Sugar cane and alcohol! Lots of brown sugar and toasty malts.

T - Sweet as a M)($%*(^$%($#^%. Wow. Lots of sugar. Lots of alcohol.

M - Oily, medium bodied, and fairly high carbonation.

O - Good, but I can only drink about half of one of these and I am done. Too sweet and strong

3.95/5  rDev -2%

A - pours a translucent brown reddish color with a 1" froth. Nice thick lacing with a thin cloud of foam remaining. Foam sticks around like an annoying in-law but in this case, it's allowed.

S - smells hoppy sweet with some caramel and brown shugga. Some nice malt tones in there as well and possible some sort of citrus zest. Just a nice blend. It's like walking into a bakery and getting the aroma of sweet dough.

T - it's like the hops had a fight with brown shugga and it resulted in a draw. The guest referee was of a citrus nature which was very faint.

M - overall not bad. It was just a little thin and flat on the finish.

O - a very nice ale. I'm glad I tried it. Now I will buy more.

Brown Shugga' from Lagunitas Brewing Company