Brown Shugga' - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Brown Shugga'Brown Shugga'

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Strong Ale |  9.99% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 12-13-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brown Shugga' Alström Bros
2.75/5  rDev -31.8%

4.18/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Poured from 12 oz bottle into snifter.

A: Pours a deep amber almost red color. Very generous 3 finger head with some nice lacing.

S: Nice mix of sweet caramel and hops. A bit of piney resin.

T: Really complex mix of some slight sweetness from the malts with bitterness from the hops. Some roasted grains, caramels, and bold hops.

M: Full bodied and nicely carbonated.

O: Interesting brew. I take one sip and I'm thinking DIPA. The next sip and I'm thinking stronle ale. Nice balance and complexity.

3.73/5  rDev -7.4%

nice dark copperwith a sticky tan head that laces well. caramel molasses smell. i notice a good amount of a fresh cut pineapple and mildy alcoholic smell too. very sweet up front, reminds me of a maple flavored frosting. brown sugar shows up big towards the middle with just a bit of dark fruit, fig, prune, and some pears. the herbal hops at the finish round things out some, but don't balance by any means. sort of thin bodied for the flavor. not too distracting, but noticable just the same. decent drinability, i think i'd prefer it in a 12 oz bottle though. not something i'd drink regularly, but a nice change of pace.

4.33/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.24/5  rDev +5.2%

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%

4.17/5  rDev +3.5%

My Brown Shugga poured without much head and has an orange amber colour. The smell is hoppy and slightly sweet: nice. The taste is quite hoppy but develops some sweet maltiness through the middle and the aftertaste wasn't really bitter for me. The texture is slightly thick and carbonated. This is a very nice beer.

4.37/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.87/5  rDev -4%

This beer pours a cloudy orange brown with a lot of sediment. The off white head fades a little fast, leaving a good lacing. It smells slightly of alcohol. It has a sweet aroma. I can smell a good toasted malt scent. It has a slight raisin like aroma. This beer has a malty taste. Quite malty. I can only detect the alcohol a bit. It warms my throat slightly as it goes down. It has a sweet caramel taste. Not too much for hop flavor though. I can also taste some brown sugar, hence the name Brown Shugga'. This beer is full bodied. It goes down smooth leaving a malty sweet aftertaste. I dont think this beer would make the greatest session beer. It is higher in alcohol, and the flavor is sort of aggressive, and might wear thin after a little while. As for just one, this beer is pretty good. I am glad that I tried it. If you see it, it is worth a try.

3.75/5  rDev -6.9%

3.5/5  rDev -13.2%

Smells deeply sweet...the brown sugar and molasses are certainly noticeable. However, I get somewhat of a floral hoppiness in there as well, leading me to believe this won't be just a sugar bomb.

Pours an amber color with a fair sized, but somewhat loose head.

The taste doesn't surprise at all, with a high level of brown sugar sweetness come across right away in the body. However, a somewhat strong (nearly IPA level, really) bitterness comes across and cuts through the sweetness and even lingers a little while after the swallow, along with the sticky sweetness. As it warms, the alcohol does come out a bit but for the ABV it isn't bad at all.

It isn't all that complex or interesting, in my opinion. Basically a sugary beer with a fairly high hop character. It's different, I'll certainly give it that. At the end of the day though, I'm not sure I'd seek it out.

3.5/5  rDev -13.2%

4.54/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

A perfect balance of sweet toasty caramel and ruby red's for the hop character. wonderful. Alcohol is hard to detect but is slightly there but not almost 10%. The taste lingers and finally rolls off your pallet and tongue. Thank goodness for strong ales!

Let this one sit too for at least a couple of years.

3.6/5  rDev -10.7%

Clearish brown with a hint of red. A little viscous. Nose is alcohol, some malts, and sweetness. Almost like a malty wine. Taste is like a bitter barley wine. Has hints of smoke, sweetness is there but not too overdone, and hops in the finish. Alcohol is hidden pretty well in the taste (although not in the nose). Not bad.

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

2.97/5  rDev -26.3%

Bottle poured into an imperial pint glass.

A- It poured a deep amber color with light-medium carbonation. There was a 1/2" tan head that quickly turned to a lace that left a nice stick on the side of the glass.

S- It had a really nice aroma. It was big in both sweet-bread malt and pine-citrus hop scents. Just a hint of alcohol lets you know this beer means business.

T- A bready malt character is initially balanced with some citrus-like hops. However, there is an overwhelmingly sweet finish that came across and didn't sit well with me. The alcohol became more evident as the beer warmed.

M- The initial mouthfeel was really nice. It was smooth and lightly carbonated. However, there was a lingering thickness that allowed the sweet flavor to hang around.

D- Not great. I saw this beer was a definite sipper near the 10% abv mark, but something about the sweetness is a turnoff for me.

Overall- A great beer if you're into sweet. I'm going through a phase of really enjoying malty beers, but this one seems to go too far in the brown sugar direction. There were good things about this beer, but not enough to compensate for the negative for me.

4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

This beer pours a very nice reddish brown that has a nice fluffy white head that dissipates quickly leaving some lacing on the glass. There is a nice transparency to this beer that I didn't really expect. It looks greath in the light though. It smells like brown sugar, molasses, caramel, and some citrus fruit notes like lemon and orange. There is also a very nice hoppy smell to this, mmmm gotta love it. the taste is nice and hoppy up front with a definite alcohol kick. It is also cut by a nice brown sugary sweetness that works very well. There are also notes of Molasses, caramel, butterscotch, and some subtle citrus notes. This has a good mouthfeel, Goes down smooth, and has a good amount of carbonation. Nice medium body on this that gives it almost a creamy texture. I think the drinkability is good on this one. I would love to have a bunch of these around to break out whenever I wanted. The alcohol kick was more than I expected, but I think it was a pleasant surprise. I also thought that it was going to be much sweeter than it was, and I'm glad I was wrong. I think this was perfect the way that they did it. Good job Lagunitas. Cheers.

4.1/5  rDev +1.7%

Thanks to smakawhat for trading this bottle to me. A 12 oz bottle was poured into a pint glass. A good sized light brown head rests atop the liquid. It is clear and colored reddish brown. Some small carbonation bubbles can be seen within. Good lacing is left behind.

Some malty sweetness and some brown crystal sugar aromas are easily detected. A little bit of hop bitterness can be detected. There is no indication that this is a strong ale.

Some sweet roasted malts and sugars make up the majority of the flavor profile--but I wouldn't call this beer too sweet. Some alcohol and prune juice are present in the finish and aftertaste; after they subside, brown sugars are left. That taste will stay with you until your next sip. Hop flavors are present throughout, but never get too bitter.

All the sugar in this beer causes it to be quite sticky. A sweet coating covers my tongue. Flavors of alcohol and brown sugar are present. There are no alcoholic vapors present, which I often find in strong ales such as this one.

Considering how strong and sweet this beer is, I find it to be very drinkable. Neither the alcohol or the sugars are limiting factors (the alcohol would be if I were driving). I could easily see myself buying this beer by the 6 pack if it were available to me locally. I'll have to buy some next time I'm in Lagunitas' distribution area. This is an interesting and recommended beer.

4.32/5  rDev +7.2%

4.2/5  rDev +4.2%

Served on-tap in a New Belgium globe glass at Global Brew in O'Fallon, IL. The body is a solid brown color with a red tint. Slightly more than a one-finger head that has good retention and nice lacing along the glass.

Nice aroma that has strong pine and fruity hop notes with a solid caramel malt base.

Very tasty flavor. The hops flavors dominate up front with nice blend that follows the aroma fairly closely featuring both the tasty bitter pine notes and some light tropical fruity notes. The malt flavors are solid and offer a sweet balance to the hops.

Medium mouthfeel in the texture and very little notice of alcohol for the abv. Very drinkable. An execellent beer and I will be seeking this out in bottles soon.

4.4/5  rDev +9.2%

Poured into tall ale glass.

A: great head; dark copper color; moderate carbonation beads; ok lacing at the end
S: piney, hoppy, buoyant
T: Wow. Outstanding flavor. Brown sugar flavor is strong, but the hops are an equalizing force; thus, it turns out to be both very bitter and sweet, quite complex; the sweetness would make it ideal as a dessert beer.
M: silky, smooth

A very high quality, fine beer.

Brown Shugga' from Lagunitas Brewing Company