Nuevo Noir - Lagunitas Brewing Company

good

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

Belgian Dark Ale |  6.30% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: RootedFool on 07-15-2005)
3.6/5  rDev +0.6%

Ah, an oud bruin, you say? OK then. I thought this was a BSDA, so I'm going to have to wing it here -- not a style I'm familar with.

Appearance: Brown. Seriously, about as straight up brown as I've ever seen, and crystal clear. Carbonation is a bit large, producing a loose, fizzy head where I might expect a dense creamy one. Pretty good retention, and a swirl will bring it right back. No real lace or collar to speak of.

Smell: Very pronounced Belgian yeast spice; very clovey. Rich nose of chocolate malt and a distinct fruitiness, with ripe plum coming to mind.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Very, very sweet. Chocolate malts, candi sugar and fruity yeast result in a taste almost like Dr. Pepper mixed with chocolate syrup. Overwhelming and not entirely pleasant. No lactic sourness that I discerned, but that's apparently not a prerequisite of the style, so no points off for that. Still, something to break up the cloying sweetness would have been welcomed. Mouthfeel is medium everything, carbonation, weight, smoothness, etc.

Drinkability: Hard to say, since I don't know the style. Personally, I found the sweetness WAY over the top, and hence, wouldn't drink another. If you want something akin to a Belgian-spiced bock, though, this might be right up your alley.

WetCoaster, Aug 01, 2005
3.9/5  rDev +8.9%

Serving type: I bought this in Midtown Sacramento in the 22oz bottle...I'm always apt to buy any new Lagunitas beer, and as I can see by the number of reviews, this one is very new...hence the title. Poured into pilsner style glass.

Appearance: Deep amber/brown with a reddish hue. 1/2" head that dissipated fairly quickly...but leaves a decent lacing on the glass following each sip.

Smell: Sugary, fruity tones...for only being 6.3%, a good amount of alcohol smell permeates, but not in a bad way...enhances the hints of sugars and maltiness.

Taste: Some sweet malt tones, fruit zest...very subtle sourness in the aftertaste. Lacks the richness and complexity of similar styles like Trois Pistoles or Maredsous 8.

Mouthfeel: Definitely lacks the carbonation of imported Belgian ales...bubbles are much smaller...in that respect, it doesn't live up to the style. But I still LOVE all beers by Lagunitas.

Drinkability: Goes down easy enough. I'd say after a 22oz. I'm ready for something else with a little more intensity and mouthfeel, like a Maredsous...but still this beer is a worth a try...

chance269, Jul 25, 2005
3.55/5  rDev -0.8%

07-17-05- Purchased at Bevmo in San Mateo, CA

Presentation- 22oz bomber with no dating. Poured into my Orleans pils style glass.

Appearance- Dark copper colored pour with a decent 3/4 inch head and minor lacing.

Smell- Lots of dark caramel malt and maybe smells like there may be a touch of sourness in the scent.

Taste- Hmmmm, I'm wondering if one of us (I or the first reviewer) got a bad bottle or maybe a different batch. Mine had no sourness whatsoever. In fact, it's very much on the sweeter side. Lots of roasted caramel and a decent amount of brown sugar. In fact, it's kinda like a real weak version of their Brown Sugga. Decent amount of hops as well.

Mouthfeel- Average carbonation, a bit fuller mouthfeel.

Drinkability- Went down pretty easy. A good beer, but at least from the bottle I got, I would put in under a catagory that doesn't exist. Something like an imperial brown ale. Or a cross between a strong ale and a brown ale.

GClarkage, Jul 17, 2005
4.43/5  rDev +23.7%

Poured into my Mudite goblet, the head is nearly three quarter inches tall, off-white (almost tan), lots of pea-sized bubbles on the surface. Retention is decent, reveals a creamy consistency -- a solid but thin sheet sticks to the glass. Body is deep mahogany with slight ruby highlights. Smell: Nice waft of musty yeast, with a spine of orange zest and brown sugar, and simple sugars as well, and some grapefruit juice. Taste: Blunt profile of citrus rind bitterness, backed up by a puckering display if funky yeast and sour malts; aftertaste is an almost chocolate-like sweetness, a little oakiness (some wood for sure, and smoke) with the bitterness slowly receding. Leaves a nice sizzle on my tongue. Mouthfeel: Very wet, not as full as I would expect but this is a summer seasonal afterall; washes down with ease; middling carbonation. Another awesome seasonal offering from Lagunitas.

RootedFool, Jul 15, 2005