Hairy Eyeball Ale - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Hairy Eyeball AleHairy Eyeball Ale

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Strong Ale |  9.40% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-12-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hairy Eyeball Ale Alström Bros

DerekCarruth, Aug 17, 2012
1.25/5  rDev -67.4%

MichaelBigbone, Jan 30, 2014
1.5/5  rDev -60.8%

I did try this beer and I hate it. I will drink anything and everything. This beer was just not my thing. I would suggest that you do try it because Laginitas dose a great job at brewing and I find no real flaws with this beer (other than I don't Like its taste). I read the reveiw prior and I think this guy did like it and describe it correctly. I'll post his quote now "caramel, burnt sugar, golden raisins, with a slowly drying lightly bitter finish. Uninspiring..." and I would add very slightly if any bitter finish. OUT of BALANCE. raisen bomb. poop! but I'm an IPA lover so go figure. You decide!

miramanmike, Feb 19, 2010

Skunkdrool, Mar 07, 2014

bdelonj13, Jan 25, 2014

Neddyboombox, Jan 02, 2014
2.15/5  rDev -43.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Appearance - Unique, nice looking clear, dark mahogony color with minimal head presense despite aggressive poor (no head within 30 seconds)

Smell - sweet and malty

Taste - Very Sweet and very heavy. Hoppy aspirin like bitter finish. Not sure I like this one at all. Tastes like a combination of Robitusin with groundup aspirin in it.

Mouthfeel - Syrup like.

Overall - I don't understand the hype for this beer. Its quite difficult to drink and the flavors just don't work for my pallet at all. Beers over 8% are very hit or miss for me. A few A+'s and a several D's and even an F. This one is a big D (only because it looks and smells ok). I will not be able to finish this one.

bubseymour, Aug 25, 2011
2.19/5  rDev -42.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

The is the most overly malty ale I have ever had and I'm a fan of Lagunitas. It's way off in balance and I've tried it 3 times thinking I got an older bottle, it's under carbonated and just to dang sweet. It's just not a good beer for them and others are rating it because it's Lagunitas and not what it should be rated at. Sorry it's just not that good.

DOCRW, Jan 26, 2014
2.2/5  rDev -42.6%

Wasn't quite sure what type of beer this was, as the label simply called it an ale. The only hint was 9% abv. I picked up a bottle of this out of curiosity.
Overall, this beer seemed a bit of a mess. Malty and strong are about all I can say about it. The flavor was pretty uninteresting and became even more so as I finished my glass.

mbo34, Mar 07, 2011
2.23/5  rDev -41.8%

Bottle boured to serving sample.

A: deep dark brown/ black, somewhat clear, very thin head
S: very hoppy, earthy
T: cough syrup, very hoppy, coffee/ caramel, smokey
M: very heavy/ thick, hoppy bite, awful aftertaste
D: tough

Im glad I didn't have more than the serving sample.
I felt like I was sick and my mom was forcing me to take the cough syrup

nrpellegrini, Feb 10, 2008
2.25/5  rDev -41.3%

Edv0cate, Feb 01, 2014
2.28/5  rDev -40.5%

Got this one at the local beer store because of the interesting name...

A: Deep beautiful red. Tiny white head that quickly fades. Good.

S: Hard to get a strong scent. Once you do you kind of get a barleywine and tripel mixed scented beer. Eh, ok.

T: Bitter hops with almost a slight V8 type flavor. A little too weird. Bitter hops in the middle. Ick.

M: Goes down a little too thick for the style.

D: Ok, nothing good.

All in all, this brew is not very good. Avoid!

steve8robin, Mar 28, 2010
2.3/5  rDev -39.9%

Pours out a rosey purple brown body with a 1/4" head that fizzles down to a thin layer of foam. Some head clings to the glass in scant patterns. First smell I get is a bit like rotting oranges. What follows is straight up sweet, darker malts, alcohol and a bit of citrus hops. When I taste this, i basically get a barrage of sweet malt body, piney hops, bitterness (quite bitter for a 50-something IBU beer), and a finish that is medicinal in the amount of alcohol. I can pick out some flavor as the aftertaste lingers, which is a blend of chewy dried fruit and pine resin. Mouthfeel is full bodied and a bit slick. Mild carbonation. Yeah, I don't really want to drink this all that much. I remember liking this a couple years back. Kind of nauseating now.

goochpunch, Jan 27, 2007
2.4/5  rDev -37.3%

Reviewed 1/25/2007 (22oz bottle):

Pours a dark brown black color, almost no head, quickly diminishing. Tan in color. Strong dark fruit aroma, grape, some hops, some alcohol. Taste of alcohol, hoppy flavor, some of that dark fruit taste again. Letting warm up a bit, hopefully the alcohol taste will be mellowed. Not much mellower.

jujubeast6000, Feb 02, 2009
2.43/5  rDev -36.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

This is a very malty beer. Sweet, not much in the hops department. If I was given this blind I would say it was a one-note take on an abbey dubbel. It is a pretty beer. Garnet color with thick off-white head, but that is easily the strongest aspect of the beer. Unfortunately, appearance is also the least important aspect of beer enjoyment. Rare failure from lagunitas.

3sheets2wind, Dec 22, 2013
2.45/5  rDev -36%

A- Nice clear ruby with a one finger tan head that faded fast. Soapy lacing the whole way

S- this is where I started to worry... Super strong roasted caramel, bitter apple, cherry, and faint earthy hops. A burst of alcohol warmness pulls up the rear

T- a muddled mess of all the smells, followed by an unpleasant bitter grapefruit rind hop flavor with a boozy warmth

M- great body. Full feeling, smooth, and moderate carbonation. But then BAM!!! The bitterness comes in and ruins it all

D- I surprisingly finished the 12oz bottle easily. I love big beers, so I was able to muscle thru it, but I will not grab another

imagese, Mar 07, 2011
2.45/5  rDev -36%

A: pours a deep amber with a thin cream colored head.

S: has a sweet barleywine type scent to it, a hint of dark berries.

t: lacks in anything special, perhaps a dark berry aftertaste. a strong alcohol burn basically dominated every taste aspect to me.

d: i usually consider Lagunitas my favorite brewery and usually love every beer of theirs that i come across, but this is the first one i don't care too much for. good to drink one or two at a time - a few more than that if you are looking for a good sunday afternoon acoustic jam session buzz...

i did save one for aging purposes and will compare it to next year's batch.

cmoney311, Mar 01, 2009
2.48/5  rDev -35.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

22oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Nice Dark Copper/Amber color with a very small amount of head. A little bit lingered around the edges of the glass as I drank.
Very malty/boozy scent from the glass
Malty, Boozy flavor with a lot of boozy bitterness in the aftertaste.
Left a flavor in my mouth that was not bitter, but not a good bitter. The boozy flavor stays long after each sip.
Overall I personally am not a fan of this one and will not be seeking another for some time.

timmy2b, Jan 30, 2014
2.48/5  rDev -35.2%

I can definitely sympathize with those who offering a contrary opinion on this beer, as I was not a fan either. It had a significant liquor presence that I did not care for that came off very medicine-y. I finished it, and it wasn't terrible, but it definitely is not an experience I will be seeking out again.

My bottle poured a copper color with minimal head. Color was nice, beer was admirably clear, and brilliantly bright. Aroma was a combination of cereal/grain with some diacetyl and and a liquorice/medicine smell. Flavor and was caramel-y and harsh. It had a real cereal/grainy element combined with a lot of liquor/medicine flavor, but not in a good way. For some reason, it felt like there was some grain in the beer other than barley, like maybe oatmeal. Mouthfeel was unremarkable.

I can't say I'll be seeking out this beer again, nor recommending it to others.

I bought this bottle as a 12oz single at 3 Cellars in Franklin, WI.

BeerBelcher, Apr 14, 2008