Freak Out Ale - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Freak Out AleFreak Out Ale

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: SethB2 on 08-12-2006)

WOW!!!

Crystal clear and what a color. Looks like a budweiser that died and went to heaven, and smells like a handfull of hops and malt blessed by Zeus himself. The best, repeat BEST IPA I have ever had!

I don't usually take the time to review a beer. As a matter of fact the last time I did it was to let the brewer know their beer tasted like a dead whales vagina.

Can't wait to taste this beer on draft.

Murchmac, Aug 27, 2006

litheum94, Nov 16, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +24.8%

Pours a light orangey copper with a nice big head. Great retention and lacing. Aroma is a huge blast of citrus with a nice backing of carmely sweet malts. Taste is perfect blend of carmely malts with tastey sweet citrus. Perfect bitter finish makes you immediately anticipate your next gulp. This isn't the biggest IPA I've ever had, but it's one of the tastiest. Loved it.

Duster72, May 28, 2007
4.8/5  rDev +22.8%

4 oz. snifter at Lucky Lab fest - didn't know what this was going in, but it was quickly evident it was an IPA. Clear pale yellow, like a pilsner, with a really nice, pillowy white head.
The aroma was fantastic, as are most of Lagunitas's brews - heavy citrus, but more along the lines of pineapple then grapefruit, and uncured or still growing herb. Freak out indeed, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they snuck some in to dry hop!
The taste was also nice and hoppy, fresh flowers, more bud, sweet malt, more grapefruit citrus here, and a slight, yet pleasant sour tang. Very good.
The mouth feel was light and effervescent, and combined with the very good taste, made this one highly drinkable.

ccrida, May 24, 2007
4.7/5  rDev +20.2%

Pours from the Frank Zappa bottle to a hazy, orange-red with thick white head that lasts throughout the entire drink and leaves excellent lacing. The aroma was very strongly citrus, mostly of grapefruit, and was very evident the for the whole beer. Flavor was some of the strongest grapefruit I have ever tasted in a beer, but it was excellently blended with the hops and alcohol to create a great taste. Palate was a bit dry and sour at the same time, and was a great way to finish off this excellent beer. Too bad it is a one-time-only release.

kimcgolf, Oct 07, 2006
4.58/5  rDev +17.1%

22 oz. bomber poured into a pint glass.

A-Light copper color body with a Small head and no lacing.

S-Flowery hop smell,I cant smell the malt in it.But I smell earthy hops,Bittery hops.

T-Flowery basket taste,I love the hops in this.

M-Very good taste with a exploding taste on your palate.

D-Very good! I could drink a couple of these bombers.I thik this stuff should be made in 12 oz bottles also.I plan on buying another bottle and keeping it for xmas eve.Kudo's to Lagunitas and for my first time drinking there beers.

MmmIPA, Oct 27, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

brandoman63, Nov 21, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +13.8%

Bottle is poured at cellar temp into a snifter. The beer pours a only slightly cloudy orange color with a fluffy eggshell white head foaming up about 2 cm and gradually fading leaving windowpane lattice as it recedes.
Aroma is pine sap and a little citrus as well, but all hops. Not very bold but pleasant.
First sip reveals an average body with very fine tingly carbonation that really foams up in my mouth when I swish the beer.
Flavor starts with a bit of caramel and then goes to some citrusy hops with hints of orange and grapefruit, this moves to a slightly more bitter pinesap hop quality. Again not over the top, but very nice and crisp. A well brewed beer with a very cool label. No hint of ABV and definitely an easy drinker, I should have put Joe's Garage on while I drank this beer!

sulldaddy, Apr 04, 2007
4.45/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Lagunitas Freak Out Ale poured gold (like deadly yellow snow) in color topped by a tall, white head with a meringue like consistancy, good lacing and a constant upflow of tiny bubbles. It had a big grapefruit nose with a hint of grass. Flavor starts with alot of grapefruit followed by a little honey sweetness and a strong bitter backbone. Medium-high carbonation and fairly light body.

This Zappa inspired creation is a hop delivery vehicle. It delivers a ton of hops to the drinker. It hits you like the fur trapper's lead filled snowshoe hits Nanook's favorite baby seal. (Obligitory Zappa reference) It's as subtle as Frank Zappa's lyrics and I really like it.

frazbri, Dec 16, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +13.3%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a tulip glass.

I know very little about Frank Zappa, but what I do know I like. I think I need to devote some time to learn about him and his music, especially after drinking this beer in his honor.

Appearance- Light golden orange with a thin white head that sticks around for a bit.

Smell- Floral and citrus.

Taste- Mmmmm…. Complex and powerful, but not overwhelming. I am having flashbacks of being served grapefruit for breakfast… Though I don’t remember having malt and spicy hops on that grapefruit. Probably for the best, though all those flavors pair wonderfully in this brew.

Mouth feel- Just what I want in a beer I am going to be paring with food. Not too thick, but a fair amount of carbonation and a slight syrupy quality.

Drinkability- Perfect. I have a higher tolerance for hops and syrupiness than most, but this beer hits it just right for me. I could drink this beer all night as long as my taste buds didn’t give out from all the hops.

Overall- Crisp and delicious, this is yet another winner from Lagunita’s. I have yet to be disappointed from these guys. I am going to be buying a few more of these as soon as I can.

Malted, Sep 26, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +13.3%

so i got prepared for this beer. i played the album. it was my first- for the album and the beer. the album was 'out there' and good. the beer was 'out there' and good as well. i got a huge rush of pineapple and hops. the beer was light on the mouthfeel and big on taste. it is definately drinkable. i bought a couple of bottles and i will finish them. all in all; another good beer from lagunitas. pure genius all around with the beer and music.

lflesh, Sep 04, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +13.3%

I got this at Downtown Wine & Spirits a week or two ago. I served it in my NERAX pint glass at around 45º F.

Appearance: Pours a lightly hazy golden-copper with a one-finger white head that clings to the sides of the glass leaving heavy lace as it thins to a persistent film.

Smell: Mild toasty malts and peppery spice. There are strong aromas of hops: citrus, resin and grapefruit.

Taste: Toasty and sweet malts upfront. The malty sweetness carries through to a tart grapefruity hop bitterness in the finish, with a bit of spiciness.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied, low to moderate-carbonation, with an oily slickness.

Drinkability: Very tasty and easy to drink.

Overall: A very good American IPA, the hop bitterness is strong and isn't overpowered by malty sweetness.

EPICAC, Oct 10, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +13.3%

Freak out poured out very clear pale into the pint glass. At least the part that was visible under the four finger thick foamy head was clear. The smell was a laced with spicy and piney hops, and the taste was bone dry making it a hop showcase once again. The only thing attempting to provide a semblance balance was the wispy caramel malt. The mouthfeel was medium to thin, and drinkability was beyond words. All I can say is “Wowie Zowie” after the whole bomber “I’m not satisfied”.

rajendra82, Sep 02, 2006
4.4/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From notes....I feel lucky that I got to drink more than one of these being that they were around for such a short time.

A-Great bottle and label, Very bubbly, amber/transparent golden color, 1/2inch white head thick lace...decent head retention, with a little remaining throughout the entire beer.
S- HOPS! Floral(big), grassy(light), and a hint of citrus(grapefruit, and orange).
T- Full flavor hops that come off really really big....big and floral...I can see why it was a fall seasonal but would have made a great spring one as well....citrus in mid-body (again with the grapefruit), malt backbone, with a mellow finish that is a bit sweet for an IPA.
M/D- This could either be a strong IPA or a light DIPA....bubbly, medium bodied, and hoppier than most....again I am glad I had a couple bottles of this...I hope it is brewed again!

jameaterblues, Mar 07, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +12%

Very, very nice beer from Lagunitas - perhaps their best IPA style brew.

A very clear brew with a deep golden color, thick creamy gold head, lots of lacing throughout the drink.

Woody, mossy hop note is pretty much the main aroma, some light golden grain scents.

Very clean flavor. Almost a big Pale Ale with a very light malt body but very bold clean hop notes. I'd love to know which ones because the flavors are not run-of-the-mill IPA and not typical for Lagunitas. Maybe something along the lines of Perle or Amarillo mixed with a noble variety. Mossy, piny, only a touch of citrus, spicy but most importantly clean and light. [edit - I'm told they're using Summit... Disappointing that nobody from Lagunitas returned my call but I got what I needed from an unimpeachable source]

Light body, lots of carbonation, dry finish, good bittering but by no means 'bitter' like Lagunitas' flagship IPA

Very tasty beer, in some ways similar to Deschutes' Hop Henge (but different hop varietals) very clean clear hop notes, not overly strong or super bitter. I'm liking this a lot.

RedwoodGeorge, Aug 23, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +10.7%

First of all, I love the Frank Zappa label. Second of all, I love West Cost Ales. Served chilled in a pint glass from a bomber. Poured a cloudy golden amber cololr with about one finger of bubbly white head. Smelled of citrus fruits, fresh hops. Tasted again of citrus fruits, hops, and fresh grains. Definitly a burst of flavor in the mouth. A very drinkable brew, two thumbs up to Lagunita's for another great offering.

jaxon53, Oct 03, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +10.7%

Bomber courtesy of BeerRun13 my 2007 Secret Bunny.

Pours a clear golden orange color with about an inch of eggshell head. Nice mountain ranges of lacing circle the glass.

The aroma is a good blend of hops (pine and citrus) and caramel malts. Hops come out a bit more as warms slightly.

The flavor is even better, with the hops playing a more dominant role. Bitter citrus taste is kept in check by a creeping caramel malt flavor. The malts come and go but the hops never leave.

Medium body with smooth carbonation. Semi-dry aftertaste with a touch grapefruit bitterness. The abv isn't noticed at all. This bomber and another and another... wouldn't be a chore at all. Very enjoyable brew.

Imstillthegman, Apr 07, 2007
4.3/5  rDev +10%

This beer pours surprisingly thickly for the style. I am rewarded with an orange gold colored beer with an acceptable amount of off white head.

Aroma is sweet and spicy with a lot of citrus aroma. There is a slight pine edge to the scent. Malt aroma is mostly the scent of bread and yeast. Quite tame smelling by IPA standards.

Taste is sweet and bready with just a bit of grapefruit in the mouth at the beginning. Citrus flavor just gets stronger as you sip this beer. Flavors of tea and wood are flavors here but just a little. A very citrus flavor heavy IPA, orange and grapefruit are the major flavors. Bitterness level is really low for and IPA and lets the lighter flavors of hops come out. A truly tasty ale.

Mouthfeel is good.

Outstanding drinkability here. So easy to drink that this could have been classified as a pale ale on the basis of taste and ease of drinking it. A near perfect IPA in the drinkability department. A truly great beer I heartily recommend it.

Zorro, Oct 15, 2006
4.3/5  rDev +10%

Lightly hazed, pale orange hue, 1/2 " head, pure white, looks nice.

Soft, but spiked aroma, pine and tropical fruity. Melon and citrus. Nice.

Ah! Tasty!
Sparkling, alert and lively hops, sticky, oily, spanking bitterness. Creamy mouthfeel. The tongue gets smacked with every sip, then mellows, and it's all good. A whole bomber of this? Ain't I lucky!

An interesting interplay, easy going in the mouth, but hits the palate with bitter hops anew with each sip. Bam, yum, fruity, delicious, fierce, and freaky.

Very good.

feloniousmonk, Oct 21, 2006
4.28/5  rDev +9.5%

Poured from a 22oz. bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep gold color with a medium white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is full of citrus fruit and caramelized malt with hops in the background.

T: The taste is very-well balanced with all of your typical IPA flavors alternating with each other frequently for dominance. It begins with citrus sweetness (lemon & grapefruit) and mildly smoky malts. Then a strong but not over-powering hops bitterness comes in and eventually ends up the being the more prevalent flavor, but again it seems as though all of the flavors rotate. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, slightly sticky finish.

D: Very tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, very good representation of style, nice kick. Does it make me “freak out”? No. But it’s a very good beer that is well-worth drinking continuously for an evening or just relaxing with one bomber.

TheManiacalOne, Jul 15, 2007

ABokononist, Jul 16, 2012

Whole Foods - Bellevue, WA - Mid October, 2006

I was in the beer section perusing their good selection and came across this freakadelic bottle that almost gave me an erection. I embarked on a literary journey over the contours of paper on glass yet, in all the bright colors and cosmic prose, I was unable to determine "What kind of beer is this?" (I missed the yellow fonted "Ale", which is somewhat ambiguous anyway.)

Later that moment, in another section of the beer selection the Whole Foods beer guru asked if I had any question. "No.", I said with a confident shake of my head.

Moments later, back in the regional section, home of Freak Out Ale (I finally made the connection), I couldn't live without knowing, so I had to ask. It is an intensely hoppy light ale, NOT an IPA. My interest piqued, I bit.

This is NOT an IPA with a crystal amber color and an almost white head in an interestingly labeled bottle.

This is NOT an IPA with a ethereal bouquet of hops, florals and citrus that cascade over the olfactories.

This is NOT an IPA with an intoxicatingly piney, grapefruit hoppy, bitter blast that sends shivers up and down my gustatories.

This is NOT an IPA with light yet defined mouthfeel.

This is NOT an IPA that I would consider drinking less than two or more than three (under 'normal' circumstances) bombers of.

All Hail Lagunitas!!!

nathanho, Oct 12, 2006
4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

Very interesting bottle, similar to many Lagunitas beers. You really have to read the fine print to get what is going on. This is a commemorative beer celebrating the 40th anniversary of Frank Zappa's Freak Out. The photo on the label is right off the album cover. Very cool.

Poured from a bottle into a chalice. I picked this glassware because I had no idea what this beer's style was going to be. It soon became very evident.

A - Orangish and clean with a good amount of carbonation. Head is snow white and fairly thick.

S - Yep, this beer is an IPA, but different that the usual Lagunitas offerings. Strong piney hops dominate, unlike any of their other beers. Sweet roasted grainy malts are also on the nose.

T - Wow. Very nice beer. Piney as all hell up front followed by a very sweet middle, before fading into another citrisy/piney bitter finish. Good stuff.

M - Medium, perfectly carbonated, and a tad oily.

D - I'm heading back the store to pick up a few more of these. For sure.

Overall, this is a very different IPA than anything they have produced thus far, and it is very good. I didn't know whether this should technically be classified as a Double IPA or not. The abv and taste put this right on the border. BA guys, feel free to change the classification if needed.

SethB2, Aug 12, 2006
4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

Had this tonight (9/21) in the bomber bottle, at the Pittsburgh Bottleshop Cafe in Collier Twp., Pittsburgh, PA.

OK, I have to admit some bias at the start, being a fan of Frank Zappa, but I've never heard of this beer before. A friend of mine (BA= 103Stiga) called me over to the bottle cooler for a look at the label on this bottle. The 40th anniversary of the release of FZ's debut album gives this beer it's name. Who can argue with that as the reason for naming/creating a beer? One whiff, and I knew this beer was up my alley. Pungent floral hops to the max...I was thinking ''double IPA'' from the 1st whiff, and also from the 1st taste, so was surprized to see that it's listed with only one ''I'' here and not a ''double.'' For comparison's sake, this beer reminds me a lot of Troegs' Nugget Nectar, or Victory's Hop Wallop. IMO, very similar in taste/smell, but a bit lighter in color than those two fine products. If you like those two, you can't go wrong here. I think the full frontal hop blast was just shy of being over-the-top...that's a good thing. Give this beer a try if you want a beer a bit beyond the American style IPA...it totally outshined the Victory Hop Devil in my other glass. I may have to re-think FZ's words of wisdom to not eat the yellow snow if the snow is yellow from someone accidentally spilling a bit of the Freak Out Ale. In this case, it would be wise to eat the yellow ''Freak Out'' snow crystals!! Might just go quite well with a dog doo snow cone...!!

powerpop, Sep 22, 2006