Lagunitas Lucky 13 Mondo Large Red Ale - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Lucky 13 Mondo Large Red AleLagunitas Lucky 13 Mondo Large Red Ale

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  8.65% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-24-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Lucky 13 Mondo Large Red Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 835 | Hads: 2,130

They should change the name of this beer to Jesus Cream because thats what it feels like is being poured down my gullet as I pull the bottle to my lips. I've only seen it at one place in Detroit so far, so naturally I camp out in a tent in the parking lot weekly awaiting the arrival of the shipments. (301 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +21.2%

Appearance: A slightly dark orange, with a soft, two-finger white head.

Smell: Mainly citrus with a boozy aroma.

Taste: Grapefruit dominates this one. There is a generous amount of caramel and other citrus fruits present as well. It has a wonderful balance of hops and malts.

Mouthfeel: Very thick and enjoyable to drink.

Overall: I truly enjoyed drinking this beer and plan on buying enough to last me for a very long time. (428 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +20.5%

A: Nice deep red color, transparent, with a very small head. No retention and very little lacing to speak of, which is fine for this style.

S: A huge dose of grapefruit with a great big backing of northwestern hops. One of the best IPA/Red ale's I've ever smelled. I can't wait!

T: Great flavor - grapefruit hitting like it did in the smell, one of the strongest grapefruit taste's I've had in a beer. Hops are definitely right there with it, along with a nice healthy dose of malt, which is mostly wheaty with a little barley. Aftertaste doesn't disappoint either, with a little bit of smokey grainy malt left over. Surprisingly clean flavor afterward.

M: Clean feeling after swallowing, pretty thick, medium-heavy body, but not too chewy. Perfect carbonation. Non-astringent.

D: This is a wonderfully drinking beer, but the ABV is a little high if you want to drive home after one. Get a DD. (897 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +19%

Poured in a pint glass from a 22 oz bomber.

Beautiful auburn color with a thick head that settles down to thin one that remains throughout. Aroma of hops, caramel, and something I couldn't place. After reading previous reviews, I was able to place it as pine needles.

Tastes of caramel to match the aroma, this mellows into a more alcohol taste as the beer warms. Very well balanced and quite drinkable for a beer with 8 abv.

I'm going to pick up another to cellar. (474 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +18.3%

HOLY CRAP!
I am a stout drinker. But I am always looking for the "perfect" Amber, which is elusive, but prefered. I think I have found it. WHAT? It's a limited 1-time release? Shit, now I have to go and buy as may as I can find and hope it lasts :(

This beer was so fucking good, I couldn't stop drinking it. I poured half the bomber, planning to only drink a little. Yet I couldn't stop drinking it. I poured out the rest and it just kept giving.

The only sad part is this is a very heavy beer, and 1 bomber practically knocked me on my ass. I need to go get some more.

The only Amber I have had recently that compares is Terrapin Big Hoppy Monster, which is not readily or locally available. I like Bear Republic Red Rocket, but it didn't knock me on my ass the way this did, both literally and figuratively. The Troeg's Ambers are good, but too hoppy for the style IMHO. I'm working a trade for Ambergeddon, we'll see how it compares.

I like. Find some. (961 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +18.3%

First of all, lets get this clear. THIS IS NOT THE LUCKY 13 MONDO RED ALE of yesteryear. This is the .alt version.(alternate). When I can find this, which is getting super rare, I snatch up as many as I can. This shit is great.

Appearance is super good. A nice coarse, foamy head that leave super duper amounts of lacing. I mean a lot of lacing. It pours a dark copper, almost red color.

The smell is fucking great, mostly because I already know whats coming and the smell can suck it. Nothing else to say.

The TASTE is awesome. It is the epitome of an Amber Ale. I taste a lot of malts(a staple of Lagunitas beers). Sweet, like coco butter. Then the hops come in and evict the malts from the taste buds so fash they didnt have time to move their shit outta the apartment. Wow. After about 15 seconds, you smack your lips against each other and feel sticky-ness. Almost like you just smokes copious amounts of mary jane. I love it.

Mouthfeel is just perfect. Not too bubbly, yet not flat.

OVERALL. A+++ BEST BEER ON BA? I say top 3. Hop Stoopid close behind this. TRY IT! (1,078 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +18%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a tumbler - the session glass from Michael Jackson's set...figured I'd give it a try. Not bad, though I prefer a Nonick or Imperial pint.

Anyways, the Lucky 13 is a dark copper/amber color with an olive and orange tinged off-white, thick and creamy 2 finger head. It fades to a thick collar and surface skim, leaving moderate, sticky lace.

The aroma on this brew is just fantastic - I can't get enough! Very left coast, lots of bright citrus and pine hop aroma and a wonderfully sweet, malty back drop. As it warms, the pungency of the malts amplifies and is equally enjoyable and well balanced. I've probably spent more time smelling this beer then drinking it, man is it nice.

The taste is even more balanced and just as fantastic. This is a really great beer from a great brewery, and a worthy commemoration of their anniversary. Initially it's very hoppy, but much more flavoring then bittering, and opposite the aroma, more piney then citrus. The bitterness is there not too much, which I really appreciate. The hops give way to a very pleasant sweetness, as much crystal malt as brown sugar, with a bit of fresh bread. As strong as all the flavors are, it finishes very cleanly, and overall is well balanced and quite refreshing. Wow, I'm really impressed. I've only had 3-4 other Lagunitas brews, and have enjoyed them all, but this Mondo Red really raises the bar.

The mouthfeel is nice, medium bodied, crisp but still having a creamy carbonation to it.

The drinkability on this one is as good as it gets for a strong, hoppy ale. I've had two bombers and wish I had another one on deck (I'm getting a case of this ASAP), and my enthusiasm grows with every sip. For being so robust, it finishes very cleanly and avoids beating up the palate.

Overall, Lagunitas has a real winner here, it's a shame it's only a one-off. I'm gonna have to stock up while I can, before you read this review and buy them all! (1,954 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +17.1%

Pours a deep copper color with very nice clarity. Has a creamy, tan fine-bubbled head that has very nice retention and superb lacing.

Fresh light malt scent mingles with floral and fruity aromas. Smells really good with hints of white bread and grapefruit.

Good balance to this beer. Has a shitload of very clean malty sweetness and alot of citrusy hop flavor. As this is one of my last couple bottles and has aged about 5 months, it has lost some of the bright hop bitterness...which blows, but it is still drinking phenomenally. Fruity aspect is nice - green apples, strawberries and grapefruit. ABV is so well hidden that it almost seems sessionable. I would absolutely love to see this beer re-released at some point. Wonderful job Lagunitas! (748 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +16.8%

22 oz bottle for a little less than $5. No bottled on or best buy date on bottle.

Dark brown, bronze color with a medium sized head. Slowly dissipates into a thin cap of foam after a minute or so. Some very light lacing on my New Belgium goblet. Nothing extraordinary here yet.

The aroma is intoxicating .. tangerine up front, medium pine & grapefruit notes. After a few swirls and warming up to cellar temperature a strong cinnamon / apricot / tropical fruit smell leaps out. I'm loving it and I haven't taken a sip yet.

Taste reminds me a lot of DFH 90 Min. The malt sweetness perfectly matches up with the grapefruit & pine notes from the hops. Lots of caramel, some coffee, a bit spicy on the tongue. Excellent stuff.

The alcohol hotness doesn't show up at all throughout the bomber. Decent carbonation makes this 'dangerously drinkable'. There is a strong bitter aftertaste, but this beer is for people who love their hops.

One of the most drinkable 8% abv beers out there. (984 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +16.8%

A nice dark amber-brown, it pours with a thin but persistent head. Aroma is very hoppy and makes one think of an evergreen tree. Taste is outrageously hoppy - a must for any hop fanatic! The flavor is like the way a pine tree smells, but there is minimal bitterness. This is a beer to be sipped and savored. Even with all its hoppiness, it is smooth and pleasant to drink. (372 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +16.3%

Another big time winner from this NoCal brewer hot damn!.Poured into an impy pint glass a clear deep amber/bronze with billowing 2 1/2 finger slight off white head that stuck like glue to the glass leaving soap scum-like lace behind as it settled slowly.If you like BIG hops then you'll like the nose of this beer its like walking thru a pine forest huge pine needle and grapefruit rind aromas with just a hint of caramel and biscuit hmm Amarillos in there?Yes I am quite certain Amarillo's in there oh man,the flavors are piney and citrusy along with some geranium-like leafiness intertwined with underlying caramel and lightly sweet bread dough,to me though the hop punch steals the show hands down and I applaud Lagunitas on their 13th Anniversary beer this is a left coast gem. (781 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +15.9%

Store label of 12.04.13.
Poured from a bomber into a beer can glass on 06.08.14.

A: 3 finger tan head that retains well. A 1 finger head stayed the entire time. Somewhat cloudy amber/red body.

S: Caramel, pine, citrus.

T: Strong caramel and toffee dominate. Grapefruit is subtle.

M: Creamy smooth.

O: This is like a stronger Censored but with a grapefruit sweetness. This also has a stronger caramel and toffee flavor than anything I've tried.

Rating: A, 95/100. (470 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +15.9%

Tried this outstanding beer with my good BA beer drinking buddy Arithmeticus. The beer, surprisingly, was a dark red (yes, that was sarcasm) with a moderate head and nice lacing. The nose reminded me of a barleywine with cocoa overtones. The taste was extremely complex. It tasted like a cross between an English-style barleywine and a porter but had a lingering hoppy finish. It had a nice mouthfeel ta' boot. Would I have it again? Absolutely! (445 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is my favorite beer.
slightly fruity rich full body with a citrusy hop kick. huge flavour while managing to be perfectly balanced. I am an extremely fickle beer consumer with so many new beers constantly becoming available, but I still come back to this time and time again...
I only wish it wasnt a seasonal. (315 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Since we just recently got Lagunitas here in NC, I was very pleasantly surprised to see this one at Flying Saucer after enjoying a sample in April at the World Beer Festival. Poured into a Belgian glass a nice copper amber with a decent head that lasted as a thin layer and leaves spectacular lacing. Aroma was some nice caramel malt and slight pine. Taste was an almost perfect balance of burnt caramel and pine hops, very flavorable. The beer is medium bodied with some alcohol, but for the strength it's fairly well hidden. This is an immensly enjoyable beer that I would certainly enjoy again if given the opportunity. (622 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Clear orange and amber with a thin white head.

S - Tons of piney hop aroma here.

T - A slight alcohol taste despite its 8.9 ABV.

M - Changes between smooth and crisp both as it warms in your mouth and in the glass.

O - The flavors are great in this beer. Very drinkable and enjoyable red ale. (301 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a nice snifter from a 22oz bottle. Has a word above the name that says EXAYEAYEAYE… Two brains and 10 minutes later my buddy and I figured it out.... XIII. DUH!!

Appearance- Pours a nice copper reddish with slight orangish hues. Allows very little light through the middle of the glass but breaks nicely around the bottom. Pours a nice fluffy head that leaves quickly and leaves minimal lacing.
Smell- Awesome subtle sweetness to this that really smells great. Almost like cotton candy. Very light roasted malts add this and are balanced perfectly by a nice piney hoppyness. Can detect a very subtle alcohol undertone.
Taste- Nice sweet lightly roasted maltyness that reminds me of bubblegum. A very sharp bitterness follows with a grapefruity taste that slowly gives way to the sweetness. A very sharp alcohol kick warms the tongue and throat. The alcohol tones are always present, but lost in the deliciousness of this beer.
Mouthfeel- Light prickly carbonation. Nice slick oily feel at first that gives way to a medium body. You can always feel the alcohol on the tongue.
Drinkability- Very nice. This is a very very tasty brew that is a great version of my favorite style. The 8.3% ABV is present and noticeable on both the tongue and head. This is an excellent beer that I could easily over-indulge on. (1,327 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +14.1%

Serving: Bomber into a very big glass.

A: Amber/light brown. A fair level of carbonation, with a half inch thick, dense head on top.

S: Smells very malty with some citrus hops thrown in. Lots of caramel essence to it.

T: Intense maltiness that seems to linger forever, with a slight hint of hop bitterness on the finish. Seriously, it tastes like I'm on a neverending malt highway that has no exits. Just the right level of residual sweetness. Undetectable alcohol. Amazing beer.

M: Just the right level of carbonation and nothing off-putting at all. Very, very good.

D: I could drink this all day long. Until I fell off my chair, that is. (646 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +13.4%

A - poured coppery color with hints of amber when held up to the light; minimal head with a bit of lacing

S - malt was very upfront in the initial sniff but as the beer warmed up, the hops came up and the two blended very well

T - as with the first smell, malt was most prevalent up front but hops came forward as the beer warmed up; detected bits of caramel as well

M - loved the beer...is it me or does it taste like Arrogant Bastard? The blend of the flavors and the alcohol were perfect.

D - highly recommended! I have had 4 other beers from Lagunitas and have yet to be disappointed. Seek this one out!

This is my first tasting of an American Amber/Red Ale an am hoping to find Nugget Nectar to compare. (713 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +13.4%

A- Really thick dense light tan head on a pretty clear red body.
S- Nice big citrus hops with hints of pine in there. Nice big caramel malt body to balance it out a bit. Nice grapefruit comes out too.
T-MMM! Nice balance between a sweetness from the caramel malt but also a nice hop grapefruit juice bite. Hints of grapefruit rind too (mainly the juice though). Really tasty!
M- Full body with medium carbonation. Nice smooth feel to it but hops seem to stick around the mouth nicely and leave a really nice bold bitterness.
D- I really like this brew. I wish they made it as a regular beer. I would pick a few of these up. (628 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +13.4%

WOW! I cannot find much to knock on this beer for. It is Stellar with a capital S!
It pours a nice red orange color with little head or lacing. I love the crystal clear look of this beer!
The smell of this beer is just spectacular! It's either Apricot or Guava, not sure which, but what a nice strong smell.
The the taste. Nice strong, flavorful beer. I would guess it's apricot taking over this beer, but it has a nice citrus appeal to it, with a very good balance of bitterness added.
Mouthfeel is lovely with a medium carbonation, and a bit high malt body.
Overall, I love this! It was very hard not to give it a 5, and if I continue to fall in love with this brew, I may revisit this review and upgrade it. If you have never had it, GET IT! (744 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +13.4%

A tremendous "red" ale on this cask incarnation. Very rich, complex and memorable.

Presentation: 16 oz cask offering. Menu only notes "Imperial IPA/Strong Ale", and Alc. (8.30%) Served in a "nonick" pint glass.

A - Deep amber-red color. Almost brown with a red glow. Nice short head touching the rim that dissipates slowly into a stubborn layer and ring during the rest of the drink. Nice touches of lacing on the glass.

S - Nose is very subdued compared to the bottle, but again there is still a nice if shy sweet malt aroma wit a hoppy whiff.

T - Quite the surprise here... Very rich, assertive and complex range. Starts with a hoppy kick, very complex, woven with a malty depth that takes over as the beer warms a bit. It does not stop to go back and forth between the flavors, sugar coated grapefruit, malt crispness, bready notes, fresh and equally warm.

M - Very smooth body, which remains medium but feels far more assertive and growing in body that the memory of the bottle.

D - Extraordinary, almost a sipper given the perceived richness at times. The experience, difficult to describe, lingers in the memory. I should have had another...

Notes: Most notable cask experience I´ve ever had. I had a few, maybe not too many cask servings over the years, but I typically prefer them seeking their complexity and uniqueness. This one made the top of experiences: what a brew revealing its potential as a live ale. (1,429 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Beautiful pour: color, aroma and head are all delicious even before introducing this beer to the palate. Once introduced this beer yields an initial sweetness that soon builds into strong yet manageable hop characteristics. Finishes semi-sweet. This beer circles the palate and ends very nicely. Complex yet very drinkable. A (325 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +12.7%

A - very deep burnt orange/rust color w/ a gorgeous beige 2 finger head that stuck around for days...this ones a looker

S - bountiful citrus hops, with a decent serving of sweet malt. very strong smelling

T - quite bitter upfront, but rounds out a bit midway w/ a welcomed biscuit/yeast character followed up w/ a rich malt sweetness that sings to the tune of assorted fruits. I love the sugary sweetness that comes before the bitter close(nothing too harsh, but enough to satisfy hopheads like myself)

MF - my only negative about this beer -i enjoyed the big body and creamy feel, but i think that it could benefit from a bit more carbonation.

D - abv. is well hidden and only becomes remotely appearant as the beer nears room temp. great overall flavor...hell, exceptional overall flavor. I finished the bomber and i want more. I wish Lagunitas would make this into a year 'round, cause this is easily thier best yet IMHO! (928 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Appearance - Copper color that looks to be identical to the color of a penny. Great looking red ale with a tan head that looked almost creamy on the top. Pretty sweet in the lace department as well.

Smell - First thing I get is a deep caramel malt smell, with an almost bready quality to it. Hops are blended in as well as some citrus notes.

Taste & Mouthfeel - This one has a deep almost abyss like amount of never ending caramel malt. Hops seem to scratch through in the back to give a bitterness to the finish. Citrus flavors are present as well to help tip the scales back to an ipa feel. Mouthfeel is smooth as silk and way on the creamy side.

Drinkability - Absolutely a must for any lover of the style. Delicious to the last drop. (740 characters)

Lagunitas Lucky 13 Mondo Large Red Ale from Lagunitas Brewing Company