1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Lagunitas Lucky 13 Mondo Large Red Ale - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Lucky 13 Mondo Large Red AleLagunitas Lucky 13 Mondo Large Red Ale

Ratings: 1947

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  8.65% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-24-2007)
Ratings: 1,947 | Reviews: 829 | Show All Ratings:
wiegs4life

4.34/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I had this beer last night on draft with my buddies. It was recommended by my friend and he’s sometimes off with his suggestions but boy did he get this one right. I already like Lagunita’s beers so I said eh lets give it the old college try.

A – Had a dark amber/red color as you would expect. I didn’t notice the frothy head that I was expecting.

S – I noticed some caramel and some other citrusy flavors that really balanced the hops very well.

M – For a strong beer this one didn’t taste like it. There was some alcohol sensation but overall it didn’t overpower the flavors in the beer.

T – The balanced hops make it for a great taste.

Overall this was one of my favorites. I will be getting more soon.

09-08-2013 13:26:21 | More by wiegs4life
AgentMunky

3.86/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured from a growler filled last night at the brewery into a tulip glass.

A: Beautiful finger-and-a-half of head. Clear, red-amber.

S: Hops. Amber malt. Lots of hops. Pretty much what I expected from a "Large Red Ale."

T/M: I like it, but it's not exceptional. Lightly bitter, kind of thin, and a touch acidic. Citrusy hops are the most prominent, but there's a nice apple fruitiness. The endtaste is dry and kind of sickly. Nice carbonation still.

O: Pretty good imperial red -- recommended if you like the style. Would drink again.

07-16-2013 01:53:49 | More by AgentMunky
afdempse

Maryland

4.33/5  rDev +5.1%

The beer is a light amber color with moderate lacing around the glass. Head is just a thin wisp in the center of the liquid.

Aroma of candied orange peel, lots of caramelized sugars and citrus notes. Summit hops? Faint alcohol also.

Very nicely balanced flavors here. A blend of caramel, bready malt. Strong barley presence, almost grape-nuts like. Citrusy hops meld perfectly with the malt, and provide a strong bitterness to the finish. Alcohol is well-hidden but detectable.

Mouthfeel is enhanced by a good level of carbonation, allowing sweet and bitter flavors to flow across the palate without weighing the whole thing down. Finish is drier than expected for something like this, but still a bit sweet. Dangerously drinkable.

An excellent beer by Lagunitas, made better by the fact that I found it on draft and brought a growler home...

12-06-2011 02:39:01 | More by afdempse
jtingue

4.22/5  rDev +2.4%

Growler poured into a tulip.

Appearance. Gorgous orange amber in color. Perfectly clear with a nice lacing of white head.

Smell. Tons of piney hop aroma here. Also a lot of hop infused alcohol notes as well. Not any malt to really speak of here.

Taste. Unlike the nose, there is a nice balance between malt and hop. Starts out sweet with flavors of honey and some bready malt notes. Hops take over with a good amount of bitterness but also nice grapefruit and piney flavors. Sweeter hop flavors take over the bitterness with a lot of citrus, specifically orange. The finish is a bit dry and very bitter.

Mouthfeel. Medium to heavy body with a moderate amount of carbonation. They combine to give an almost creamy mouthfeel which combines nicely with the hoppiness.

Great red ale, always worth a try.

08-12-2011 19:18:18 | More by jtingue
snaotheus

4.53/5  rDev +10%

Fresh growler (only hours old) poured into a pint glass. Filled the growler at Dog & Pony in Renton, WA.

Dark ruby-amber, medium carbonation, medium-small head, a little lacing. Smell is sweet and toffee and caramel and malt. Smells great.

Taste is very pleasant, nicely balanced malt with a little bitter hops. Smokey but sweet, toffee and nuts.

Mouthfeel is a little flat, slightly filmy, light.

Very drinkable. I might go through this whole growler tonight.

---
2013-06-28

Having a bomber at home now. 124 3 6082 0025 is the bottle code, whatever it means. I may not have had this since I reviewed it from the growler, close to four years ago...so this should be an interesting revisit. My taste buds have moved far toward the hops since then. I'm not touching the scores, just adding words, because that's what I do.

Looks about the same as I last described it. Smell is screaming hops to me now, though. Piney/grassy.

Taste is mostly as last reviewed, but the hops are so clear to me now. I don't get much smoke, but I get a glimmer of what might have caused that reaction.

Mouthfeel does not seem flat or filmy today. It seems light, slightly gritty, and pretty effervescent. Might be bottle versus growler.

I might need to start buying this more often. This is hitting a special spot.

08-26-2009 00:34:10 | More by snaotheus
jellikit

4.31/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: orange-red. Thin head. Clear. No lacing.
S: citrus and floral
T: citrus. Candy/bubblegum. Small alcohol notes. Basic mealtimes.
M: fizzy. Malty.
O: tasty. Big beer that is well balanced. Big hop flavor up front. Slightly bitter. Easy drinking for how big it is.

04-13-2014 03:47:06 | More by jellikit
JaredinOmaha

Nebraska

4.41/5  rDev +7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

One of the best examples of a red ale you will find. A round, pungent blast of super strength. You cannot go wrong. Lagunitas cares, you should as well.
Get a hold of any of their beers, except for the PILS, which I think is a wasted effort. Also, try not to drink too much, as in the brewery in general. It will wash your palate away, and you'll be hunting for a great stout or porter to revive your palate. You will know. Thanks Lagunitas, you guys make great brews!

04-06-2014 20:55:31 | More by JaredinOmaha
GOBLIN

Lagunitas Lucky 13

Mondo Lagunitas, Mondo

Poured into pint glass

A: Gorgeous red, like a red head in color

S: Not sure what I'm detecting here . . . Pleasant none the less

T: Very nice, yummy red ale. Reminds me of Hairy Eyeball but not as hoppy

M: Solid feel, Full bodied, prickly, good carbination

O: Not a wow beer for me but very yummy. This would be good in the fall and spring (might be a spring seasonal not sure though) Seen that this was a Lagunitas beer so I hadto try . . . Lagunitas has become a brewery that I have to try everything I see.

03-17-2014 16:30:57 | More by GOBLIN
Emnmarko

3.73/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A- Dark rich copper in color. Slightly hazy. Creamy two finger off white head leaves moderate lacing.

S- Sour bready malt and yeast. Bitter dank hops behind that.

T- Huge malt and hop flavors melt together with a bitter and sour feel. There's alot going on and plenty of flavor to go around. The aftertaste is a muted version of the beginning. Slightly warming in the end.

M- Med to heavy bodied. Malty but this fades strangely to a more smooth feel towards the end.

O- Plenty of flavor, wonderful look and a decent feel. I don't feel I'm up to rate this brew fairly because its not in my wheelhouse. I'm not a fan of this style, although I can see how some may like it. Too much sour, malty mess. However it does improve with temperature. This one may need to be served a little warmer. Lagunitas consistently puts out brews that inspire me. Unfortunately this one is not one of my favorites. Such is life.

Edit- with no apparent date on the bottle and after reading other reviews, I think this must be a older beer. A complete break down on the hop flavor I experienced leads me to feel this way. I think I need to give this one another go to be sure.

02-18-2014 00:18:20 | More by Emnmarko
CalgaryFMC

Alberta (Canada)

3.91/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Another Lagunitas heavy hitter that I've had in the cellar for a few weeks, a "mondo" red ale that has some decidedly red double IPA and barleywine characteristics. Poured from bomber into a goblet, I was expecting something thick and boozy after a recent run of strong ales and in fact got something fruity and extremely hoppy, potent yet smooth and drinkable (to a point). A light reddish-orange amber color with considerable beige head, the initial aroma was of baked apples, butterscotch, grapefruit citrus rind, and hop resins, with a canned fruit sweet citrus and tropical character like that I've encountered in some Belgian IPAs. Taste is also an entire fruit bowl initially, with pears, red grapes, starfruit (I've noticed this in a few other Lagunitas brews, like sweet yellow flowers and citrus combined), lemon/lime/canned mandarin citrus, even a little banana and passion fruit. Just when you think the barleywine-esque fruit orchard might be a tad too much, cereal malts, generic brown spice, light toast, and astringent tea leaf arrive to provide a foil. The butterscotch and toast elements become more salient as one's sweet and bitter receptors relax. This is nevertheless a very hops-forward brew and really ought to be deemed a red DIPA. Moderately thick body and goes down smooth. The malts are on the lighter side and there's no real dark or roasted flavor of note. I am a Lagunitas buff and this one is different in its relative lack of assertive malts but fits the usual Lagunitas approach of putting citrusy and tropical hops at the forefront.
P.S. - They've changed the malt bill to lighten things up from earlier iterations. See Lagunitas website.

01-26-2014 03:46:26 | More by CalgaryFMC
keithmurray

3.89/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance - copper colored beer with off white colored head

Smell - caramel, pine, citrus, bit of herb on this

Taste - caramel, grapefruit, pine, orange rind, butterscotch

Mouthfeel - medium bodied, medium carbonation, slightly astringent upfront, hop bitterness in the back end

Overall - decent red ale, worth a shot

Price Point - $4.99/22 oz bottle

01-19-2014 20:26:58 | More by keithmurray
D-No

Wisconsin

4.55/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - Clear red/amber color with a great head
Smell - Malty, sweet caramel, and hops dominate the aroma
Taste - Starts with plenty of sweet caramel flavor that evolves into a great hop bitterness at the finish of the profile.
Mouthfeel - Great medium mouthfeel with good carbonation.
Overall - I really like this red ale, it is one of my favorites. I will drink this one again.

01-08-2014 04:42:45 | More by D-No
carolinencarter

British Columbia (Canada)

4.76/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is my favorite beer.
slightly fruity rich full body with a citrusy hop kick. huge flavour while managing to be perfectly balanced. I am an extremely fickle beer consumer with so many new beers constantly becoming available, but I still come back to this time and time again...
I only wish it wasnt a seasonal.

01-08-2014 04:29:26 | More by carolinencarter
SteveB24

4.39/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Bought a pint of this for 7.99. Was pretty excited

Appearence: dark tan. Reasonable carbonation, thin head. Sort of cloudy and lots of yeast.

Smell:TONS of fruit, pinneapple, pears and bananas, with a drop of bread in the finish.

Taste: like the smell, big bold belgian style fruitiness. Plums, pears and banana, with a hint of pinneapple and some definate yeast.

Mouthfeel; full body, medium-high carbonation.

Overall: this was a very satisfying experiance, its tasty and filling. It isn't too drinkable however, and I would buy it again but only when I'm looking for that style specifically and not as a " go to" still, definitely worth trying.

12-29-2013 01:09:08 | More by SteveB24
Hops4Pops

4.58/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bomber
A: Fantastic. Clear. Medium Red. Standard side pour into a tulip. Giant 2 inch off-white head that is receding very slowly. Bubble size ranges from pure foam to giant 1/4 inch. As its receding its creating a cloud like head in middle of glass. Carbonation geyser up the middle of the glass going to surface. Very sticky persistent lacing on side of glass that seems to be glued there. By the time I finished the glass, the lacing on the glass is like artwork. Expectations are high. This is one of the best looking beers I have ever seen. Lots of particles in the second glass of the bomber.
S: Very nice. Lots of hops. More than I expected. Earthy. Pine. Citrus. Grapefruit. Tangerine? Maybe even a floral note. Oats. Getting a little bit of malt but not much. ABV is very well hidden. I don't smell it at all. As it warms I am getting some caramel.
T: Awesome. Now I am getting the malt first with the hops hiding in the background. Very balanced. Its smells really hoppy but it tastes very malty. A lot of bitterness on the back end. A lot is going on with this beer as I let it warm up.
M: Creamy and smooth to start with a tart crisp finish and then the warmth of the ABV settling in. Very excellent. The carbonation is just right. It starts strong and stays nice until the finish of the glass.
O: This is a fantastic beer. One of the best I have had. I love the in your nose hop profile that reminds me of a DIPA. Just when you taste it you are dealing with a different animal that is more complex in character. I have another one and am tempted to drink it right now but won't do that until I get another one for my stash. If you like strong IPAs that can cross over into the complexity of a Stout, this is a beer you want. I am going to grab a few more while I can.

12-19-2013 04:44:39 | More by Hops4Pops
TheDoctor

Quebec (Canada)

4.06/5  rDev -1.5%

A:
Pours a clear, honey color that is quite red and almost glows when it doesn't have light behind it. Has a big, creamy beige head that clumpily settles to a finger thick or so. Very good retention; nice stringy lacing.

S:
Really cereal-heavy aroma. Hay, grass, hard water, oats, a touch of yeast, malt.

T:
Rich, full flavor, way hoppier than I had anticipated. Fresh water, earthy hops grab you right off; the cereal malts really even it out and keep it from becoming a hop bomb. Ends it with a finish that is strikingly reminiscent of apple skin or citrus rinds. Sweetish and aromatic, it has a slightly lingering medicinal hop aftertaste.

M:
Full body with tons of stuff going on. Good crisp carbonation and a lingering-but-not-overstaying finish.

O:
Good beer.
Overall, this was an enjoyable drink and it was worth trying. This is a beer that seems (to me, at least) to be just on the conservative side of big, bold, experimental brews. I mainly feel this way because it doesn't seem like a "Mondo Large Red Ale" so much as a Mondo Large Ale that happens to be red.
The nose, look and palate are distinctively those of an amber, while the flavor is overly hoppy for the style, I feel. I loves me some hops, but beers like this are kind of annoying in that they could be incredibly good without so much hop presence. They are incredibly good the way they are, but there are more good, in-your-face IPAs and PAs around than good, in-your-face malt-forward brews.
Oh well.... Good beer overall, in either case.
Would have again; worth trying if you have a chance.

12-15-2013 21:47:45 | More by TheDoctor
beergoot

Colorado

3.93/5  rDev -4.6%

Deep amber body, clear, with a thick, sticky white head; lots of rings of foam and lacing on the glass. Nice combination of malt sweetness and spicy hop aroma; pine and some cinnamon. Warm, toasted grain flavor with a graham cracker-like tone; caramel notes; zesty hop bitterness. Medium body; clean, semi-dry finish.

A very nice interplay of malt sweetness with hop spiciness and bitterness. Almost seems like there is some rye in this one. Subtle yet deep complexity. Nice balance throughout. Excellent work in letting the grains and hops shine while not letting the high ABV over-dominate things. A damn good beer...

12-01-2013 21:55:19 | More by beergoot
Noboatfred

3.71/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I liked this beer, it was pretty good. It wasn't the best red ale that I have had though...sorry Lagunitas, its just a matter of personal preference. I did enjoy drinking this beer, and would recommend trying it.
The initial poor did not create a large head, and the foam did not last very long. The smell was good though. I think smell is more important than head, but people seemed to get wrapped up on the head here....it must be a pseudo-beer snob thing.
The mouth feel was smooth, almost silky, and had a good red ale flavor.

11-26-2013 17:18:55 | More by Noboatfred
DelMontiac

Oklahoma

4.18/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Received this bomber along with a nice mixed sixer as a gift from a friend who stopped at Trader Joe's in Indy. Not a bad pick for a guy who doesn't dink beer at all! Thanks, Wayne!

I love the color of this beer. I found it to be this vibrant collision of orange and red topped with a wispy white cap. Lace was a bit scant, but no matter. Pretty beer that practically glows.

Floods the nostrils with sweet caramel malt, candy sugar, pear, apple, and fragrant hop spice.

Fantastic for the tongue. Flavors of sweet fruit, sticky caramel malt, buttery pie crust, and well-tempered hop balance. Very good. I could drink this every day.

Medium bodied slightly oily buttery fluffy feel. Carb on the down low and pleasant.

Lagunitas always does it right. I need more of this beer. One bottle shared with a friend is not enough. Cheers!

11-20-2013 14:30:43 | More by DelMontiac
andrewjraab

3.99/5  rDev -3.2%

A - Pours a hazy copper brown with two fingers of bubbly white head. Nice stick on the glass.

S - Very aromatic - cologne / perfume. Flowers, hoppy, citrus, bread, malts, brown sugga.

T - Nice hop forward build on this, citrus, bready, crackers, malts, brown sugar. All this melds nicely. Medium to full bodied with a dry finish that sits on the tongue.

O - Very solid Red ale with IPA characteristics.

11-18-2013 02:14:33 | More by andrewjraab
BucannonXC5

3.6/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Type: 22-oz. bomber
Glass: 0.5L stein glass
From: My father-in-law
Price: N/A
Purchased: Nov. 9, 2013
Consumed: Nov. 13, 2013
Misc.: Thought I had already rated this, but that was the Lucky 13 alt

Poured a dark caramel copper clear color with 2-to-3 fingers of white head. Good amount of lacing on the sides of the glass. Good retention as well. Best part of the beer by far.

Smelled malty floral hops up front. Reminded me of an imperial IPA or DIPA. Earthy, malty, a bit like a strong pilsner. Caramel, bread and rye hops.

Tasted pretty close to the smell. Earthy rye hops, heavy malts, caramel, copper, some lemon, pine and a bitter feeling on the tongue after.

Medium body. Creamy texture. Average carbonation. Bitter finish.

Not a big fan of this beer. Part of that was expecting something more with it being Lagunitas, but this just didn’t hit the spot. I would not have it again.

11-14-2013 06:14:14 | More by BucannonXC5
LABrewjourneyman

4.56/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Easily one of the best concoctions to come from Lagunitas. The bottle caught my eye amongst the ever growing lineup of 24 oz. craft brews showing up around the supermarkets in California, and the uniqueness of the beer reflected the bottle art. Expecting something like an imperial red IPA, I was pleasantly surprised to find something much more mild and easily drinkable. Amber with tonal red accents would be better to describe the Mondo Large Red here. Only slightly sharp and tangy (or maybe zesty) characteristics, which is surprising considering the ABV. Overall I call the taste unique and perhaps complex - hops that will remind you of a well brewed IPA rather than a red. A nicely palatable fall beer that pairs well with a hearty roast pork loin meal.

11-11-2013 03:28:36 | More by LABrewjourneyman
Mongrel

Maryland

4.05/5  rDev -1.7%

Appearance is not a deep red, more like amber red, with plenty of foamy head and sticky lace. Little bit of a head sticks around the whole time and helps lend a velvety mouthfeel.

Smell is great - dank with hops, along with grape and a caramel sweetness.

Taste mimics the nose. Rich and perfectly sweet, with notes of grape, honey, berries, raisins and a caramel center. Cool hops round things out. It starts out a touch watery, but seems to fill out better as it warms. Alcohol is virtually imperceptible. Impressive.

Mouthfeel is a little bit of everything - full, round, soft, sticky and a little slick. Yet surprisingly dry. Almost abruptly dry at first, cutting the finish short. Again, this gets better as the beer warms.

Overall, I have to concur that this is a good value. Reminds me of a lighter version of Double Bastard or the Heavy Seas Big DIPA I had a couple days ago. Basically a solid (and cheap) entry into the American light barleywine category.

11-11-2013 02:12:55 | More by Mongrel
McStagger

3.99/5  rDev -3.2%

A: Brilliant copper. Clear as a bell. Finger and a half of slightly tawny heady. Very fine, with some large bubbles. Carbonation is moderate. Lacing is stellar, retention is moderate.

S: Big hoppy notes up front. Lot of citrus, grapefruit, lot of forest in there. Underneath that is a bruising bit of malt. Lot of caramel, toffee. Touch of baking spices.

T: Lots of the same red malts come through in the taste. Huge shot of baking spices, lots of toffee, some brown sugar. The mid palate takes over with a big, citric hop blast that isn't quite enough to overtake the caramel malt sweetness. The hops are citric, piney, with some grapefruit and lemon peel running through, but the malt ultimately beats them back and the finish is mostly sweet, with some lingering bitterness.

M: It's a biggun, for sure. The sugary malts give this one an added weight. Definitely a sipper.

O: Bueno. The toasted sugars flavors of the malt tend to take over, especially as it warms. However, the bitterness of the hops keeps this one from being completely one side. Definitely a unique beer.

11-09-2013 08:29:45 | More by McStagger
Dionysus777

4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

I'm a noob when it comes to craft beer but this was an exceptional beer for the price... Even though the ABV is 8.65% it's masked by the flavorful filler in the beer itself. Fruity overtones-not in a bad way-it's a delicious beer...Get it while it's hot! The label is pretty bad ass, too...

11-09-2013 07:30:43 | More by Dionysus777