Lagunitas Lucky 13 Mondo Large Red Ale - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Lucky 13 Mondo Large Red AleLagunitas Lucky 13 Mondo Large Red Ale

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

American Amber / Red Ale |  8.65% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-24-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lagunitas Lucky 13 Mondo Large Red Ale Alström Bros
ralree

Maryland

4.95/5  rDev +20.1%

A: Nice deep red color, transparent, with a very small head. No retention and very little lacing to speak of, which is fine for this style.

S: A huge dose of grapefruit with a great big backing of northwestern hops. One of the best IPA/Red ale's I've ever smelled. I can't wait!

T: Great flavor - grapefruit hitting like it did in the smell, one of the strongest grapefruit taste's I've had in a beer. Hops are definitely right there with it, along with a nice healthy dose of malt, which is mostly wheaty with a little barley. Aftertaste doesn't disappoint either, with a little bit of smokey grainy malt left over. Surprisingly clean flavor afterward.

M: Clean feeling after swallowing, pretty thick, medium-heavy body, but not too chewy. Perfect carbonation. Non-astringent.

D: This is a wonderfully drinking beer, but the ABV is a little high if you want to drive home after one. Get a DD.

07-15-2009 01:16:01 | More by ralree
ProudBeerSnob

4.9/5  rDev +18.9%

Poured in a pint glass from a 22 oz bomber.

Beautiful auburn color with a thick head that settles down to thin one that remains throughout. Aroma of hops, caramel, and something I couldn't place. After reading previous reviews, I was able to place it as pine needles.

Tastes of caramel to match the aroma, this mellows into a more alcohol taste as the beer warms. Very well balanced and quite drinkable for a beer with 8 abv.

I'm going to pick up another to cellar.

05-05-2007 23:11:44 | More by ProudBeerSnob
raiser

4.88/5  rDev +18.4%

HOLY CRAP!
I am a stout drinker. But I am always looking for the "perfect" Amber, which is elusive, but prefered. I think I have found it. WHAT? It's a limited 1-time release? Shit, now I have to go and buy as may as I can find and hope it lasts :(

This beer was so fucking good, I couldn't stop drinking it. I poured half the bomber, planning to only drink a little. Yet I couldn't stop drinking it. I poured out the rest and it just kept giving.

The only sad part is this is a very heavy beer, and 1 bomber practically knocked me on my ass. I need to go get some more.

The only Amber I have had recently that compares is Terrapin Big Hoppy Monster, which is not readily or locally available. I like Bear Republic Red Rocket, but it didn't knock me on my ass the way this did, both literally and figuratively. The Troeg's Ambers are good, but too hoppy for the style IMHO. I'm working a trade for Ambergeddon, we'll see how it compares.

I like. Find some.

08-15-2008 22:06:33 | More by raiser
VicSlick

4.88/5  rDev +18.4%

First of all, lets get this clear. THIS IS NOT THE LUCKY 13 MONDO RED ALE of yesteryear. This is the .alt version.(alternate). When I can find this, which is getting super rare, I snatch up as many as I can. This shit is great.

Appearance is super good. A nice coarse, foamy head that leave super duper amounts of lacing. I mean a lot of lacing. It pours a dark copper, almost red color.

The smell is fucking great, mostly because I already know whats coming and the smell can suck it. Nothing else to say.

The TASTE is awesome. It is the epitome of an Amber Ale. I taste a lot of malts(a staple of Lagunitas beers). Sweet, like coco butter. Then the hops come in and evict the malts from the taste buds so fash they didnt have time to move their shit outta the apartment. Wow. After about 15 seconds, you smack your lips against each other and feel sticky-ness. Almost like you just smokes copious amounts of mary jane. I love it.

Mouthfeel is just perfect. Not too bubbly, yet not flat.

OVERALL. A+++ BEST BEER ON BA? I say top 3. Hop Stoopid close behind this. TRY IT!

07-14-2011 01:27:10 | More by VicSlick
ccrida

Oregon

4.85/5  rDev +17.7%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a tumbler - the session glass from Michael Jackson's set...figured I'd give it a try. Not bad, though I prefer a Nonick or Imperial pint.

Anyways, the Lucky 13 is a dark copper/amber color with an olive and orange tinged off-white, thick and creamy 2 finger head. It fades to a thick collar and surface skim, leaving moderate, sticky lace.

The aroma on this brew is just fantastic - I can't get enough! Very left coast, lots of bright citrus and pine hop aroma and a wonderfully sweet, malty back drop. As it warms, the pungency of the malts amplifies and is equally enjoyable and well balanced. I've probably spent more time smelling this beer then drinking it, man is it nice.

The taste is even more balanced and just as fantastic. This is a really great beer from a great brewery, and a worthy commemoration of their anniversary. Initially it's very hoppy, but much more flavoring then bittering, and opposite the aroma, more piney then citrus. The bitterness is there not too much, which I really appreciate. The hops give way to a very pleasant sweetness, as much crystal malt as brown sugar, with a bit of fresh bread. As strong as all the flavors are, it finishes very cleanly, and overall is well balanced and quite refreshing. Wow, I'm really impressed. I've only had 3-4 other Lagunitas brews, and have enjoyed them all, but this Mondo Red really raises the bar.

The mouthfeel is nice, medium bodied, crisp but still having a creamy carbonation to it.

The drinkability on this one is as good as it gets for a strong, hoppy ale. I've had two bombers and wish I had another one on deck (I'm getting a case of this ASAP), and my enthusiasm grows with every sip. For being so robust, it finishes very cleanly and avoids beating up the palate.

Overall, Lagunitas has a real winner here, it's a shame it's only a one-off. I'm gonna have to stock up while I can, before you read this review and buy them all!

03-31-2007 23:57:24 | More by ccrida
twiggamortis420

4.83/5  rDev +17.2%

Pours a deep copper color with very nice clarity. Has a creamy, tan fine-bubbled head that has very nice retention and superb lacing.

Fresh light malt scent mingles with floral and fruity aromas. Smells really good with hints of white bread and grapefruit.

Good balance to this beer. Has a shitload of very clean malty sweetness and alot of citrusy hop flavor. As this is one of my last couple bottles and has aged about 5 months, it has lost some of the bright hop bitterness...which blows, but it is still drinking phenomenally. Fruity aspect is nice - green apples, strawberries and grapefruit. ABV is so well hidden that it almost seems sessionable. I would absolutely love to see this beer re-released at some point. Wonderful job Lagunitas!

02-17-2009 20:46:08 | More by twiggamortis420
diamondc

4.8/5  rDev +16.5%

22 oz bottle for a little less than $5. No bottled on or best buy date on bottle.

Dark brown, bronze color with a medium sized head. Slowly dissipates into a thin cap of foam after a minute or so. Some very light lacing on my New Belgium goblet. Nothing extraordinary here yet.

The aroma is intoxicating .. tangerine up front, medium pine & grapefruit notes. After a few swirls and warming up to cellar temperature a strong cinnamon / apricot / tropical fruit smell leaps out. I'm loving it and I haven't taken a sip yet.

Taste reminds me a lot of DFH 90 Min. The malt sweetness perfectly matches up with the grapefruit & pine notes from the hops. Lots of caramel, some coffee, a bit spicy on the tongue. Excellent stuff.

The alcohol hotness doesn't show up at all throughout the bomber. Decent carbonation makes this 'dangerously drinkable'. There is a strong bitter aftertaste, but this beer is for people who love their hops.

One of the most drinkable 8% abv beers out there.

12-22-2009 06:25:39 | More by diamondc
Cyberkedi

Georgia

4.8/5  rDev +16.5%

A nice dark amber-brown, it pours with a thin but persistent head. Aroma is very hoppy and makes one think of an evergreen tree. Taste is outrageously hoppy - a must for any hop fanatic! The flavor is like the way a pine tree smells, but there is minimal bitterness. This is a beer to be sipped and savored. Even with all its hoppiness, it is smooth and pleasant to drink.

04-22-2007 23:46:38 | More by Cyberkedi
oberon

4.78/5  rDev +16%

Another big time winner from this NoCal brewer hot damn!.Poured into an impy pint glass a clear deep amber/bronze with billowing 2 1/2 finger slight off white head that stuck like glue to the glass leaving soap scum-like lace behind as it settled slowly.If you like BIG hops then you'll like the nose of this beer its like walking thru a pine forest huge pine needle and grapefruit rind aromas with just a hint of caramel and biscuit hmm Amarillos in there?Yes I am quite certain Amarillo's in there oh man,the flavors are piney and citrusy along with some geranium-like leafiness intertwined with underlying caramel and lightly sweet bread dough,to me though the hop punch steals the show hands down and I applaud Lagunitas on their 13th Anniversary beer this is a left coast gem.

04-14-2007 20:54:00 | More by oberon
BuzzLitebier

Maryland

4.78/5  rDev +16%

Tried this outstanding beer with my good BA beer drinking buddy Arithmeticus. The beer, surprisingly, was a dark red (yes, that was sarcasm) with a moderate head and nice lacing. The nose reminded me of a barleywine with cocoa overtones. The taste was extremely complex. It tasted like a cross between an English-style barleywine and a porter but had a lingering hoppy finish. It had a nice mouthfeel ta' boot. Would I have it again? Absolutely!

03-27-2011 15:35:44 | More by BuzzLitebier
carolinencarter

British Columbia (Canada)

4.76/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is my favorite beer.
slightly fruity rich full body with a citrusy hop kick. huge flavour while managing to be perfectly balanced. I am an extremely fickle beer consumer with so many new beers constantly becoming available, but I still come back to this time and time again...
I only wish it wasnt a seasonal.

01-08-2014 04:29:26 | More by carolinencarter