Hop Stoopid - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Hop StoopidHop Stoopid

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: lou91 on 03-07-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Stoopid Alström Bros

radlleb, Mar 04, 2012

rad0508, Aug 15, 2014

cstowell21, Jan 27, 2014

Dustin23, Mar 03, 2012

Revenant, Oct 27, 2012

nihonjon, Sep 09, 2012

dragonx2099, Feb 26, 2013

rramos, Jan 04, 2013

would have rated lower if i could have, i am an avid IPA/ DIPA lover and drinker and this was one of the worst and most undrinkable beers I've ever came across, the smell initially smells like you took a mix of all the beers left over from a college dorm party put them into a bottle then sprayed the insides with skunk spray. it was so disgusting that it ruined the beer before it touché you tounge.

the taste relates that smell 100% old skunked over hopped beer that has zero balance and should have never been put into main stream distribution.

please save your 5 dollars and buy something better then this. as in a 6 pack of Busch that sits in the 100 degree heat for a week then flash chilled would taste 100 times better

PintOh1759, Nov 22, 2014

SysopChris, Sep 16, 2014
1.45/5  rDev -65.4%

yamcarts, Sep 04, 2014
1.53/5  rDev -63.5%

A-Poured a reddish-orange hue and the head vanished instantly.

S-After reading the bottle I expected to pick up only the horrible hop extract smell but i got some pine and citrus scents surprisingly. There was a little too much of that sweet smell that I did however expect. Im not sure if that was from the malt or the extract. Probably a little of both.

T-Horrific. I should have known due to the hop extract but with all the great reviews on beer advocate I had to give it a shot. Horribly disappointing considering the hops I sniffed earlier. I was blasted with a rancid sweet sharp cheddar flavor that never left my tongue. The sweetness covered up any piney citrus flavors that could have been there.The closest citrus I was able to pick up was a little sour and rotten grapefruit. I was hoping for some crisp clean pine but didn't get it.

M- Thin.

D-I did not enjoy drinking this beer. The bad flavors were so overpowering I had to pour it out. it is at the bottom of my list out of all of the Imperial IPAs I have had so far. It actually reminds me of some of the flavors I picked up in pruno. I got a fresh bottle that was delivered to the store the same day. Therefore I know it is the beer and not a bad bottle.

Sharp
Sour
Rotten
No citrus
No pine

HOPOLOGIST, Jun 30, 2009
1.95/5  rDev -53.5%

This beer left me thinking: "What am I missing here"
Everyone seems to like this beer. What I got out of it was
A leafy, pungent smelliness. Couldn't figure out if it was malt based, or Hop based. Then I read that they use hop extract. Could this be the nastiness I experienced?
I dumped mine out after 4-5 sips trying to figure this beer out.
I love IPA's and IIPA's. This just seemed really funky to me.
I'm going to go back and buy another so that I can try and enjoy this beer.

brewnickbrew, Oct 14, 2010
1.95/5  rDev -53.5%

This is my 2nd pass at Hop Stoopid. I tried it about a year ago based on recommendations of trust worthy beer friends and really didn't care for it. Perhaps I got a bad bottle or something last time. Figured it was time to give it another shot!

Poured from 22oz brown bomber to pint glass.

A - The beer pours an orange/amber color. Clear with a 1 finger creamy head. Not much retention and decent lacing.

S - A strong tarty grapefruit nose. Very strong hop character and not much else.

T - The hops again dominate the palette. The tart grapefruit meets onion flavors with the powerful hop character. Absolutely no malt character detected. It tastes like sucking on a onion that's been soaking in grapefruit juice.

M - Full bodied mouthfeel though underwhelming for the style.

D - Not really at all.

Overall, this is two passes through the same beer with the same reaction a year apart. I understand people like this beer but I certainly don't. I will not buy it again. I like the price but there are way too many other much better DIPA options out there to waste any more time with this.

Reviewed on: 02-17-2011 16:59:01

PonceDog, Sunday at 09:14 PM
2.25/5  rDev -46.3%

brywhite, Feb 26, 2014
2.38/5  rDev -43.2%

have had this before, didnt really like it too much, but figured id give it another shot.

22oz. bomber from the legendary julios.

pours light copper, average head with plenty of lacing left of the glass. poured into a sam adams perfect pint glass which produces a very,very small stream of bubbles. not too impressive.

smells of hops, yah, but artificial... if that makes sense. maybe its extract or syrup or something like that (i really dont know how to describe it). smells like hops, but not quite. bit of citrus, bit of herbs, but more medicinal and artificial than anything.

tastes like syrup. hop syrup. like someone went into a lab and tried to chemically reproduce the hop flavor but was just a bit off. has an almost herbal aftertaste that is most unpleasant.

carbonation is fine, feels ok on the tongue. not impressed nor disappointed by the mouthfeel.

drinkability is in question. the syrup-y, artificial flavor does not do justice to the wonders of the hop. there are redeeming qualities to the beer, but they stay too far in the background for me to look foward to the 10oz i have left of the bomber. the alcohol is hidden enough, but the extract/artificial flavor really hinders the drinkability for me.

i have given this brew a few chances, and i hate to say i probably wont visit this brew again. lagunitas has impressed me with quite a few of their beers and im sure id rather their maximus ipa to this. not for me. though i wish it was.

silentjay, Sep 15, 2009