Hop Stoopid - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Hop StoopidHop Stoopid

pDev: 10%
Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: lou91 on 03-07-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Stoopid Alström Bros
nihonjon

Maine

01-27-2014 23:29:45 | More by cstowell21
HOPOLOGIST

1.53/5  rDev -63.6%

A-Poured a reddish-orange hue and the head vanished instantly.

S-After reading the bottle I expected to pick up only the horrible hop extract smell but i got some pine and citrus scents surprisingly. There was a little too much of that sweet smell that I did however expect. Im not sure if that was from the malt or the extract. Probably a little of both.

T-Horrific. I should have known due to the hop extract but with all the great reviews on beer advocate I had to give it a shot. Horribly disappointing considering the hops I sniffed earlier. I was blasted with a rancid sweet sharp cheddar flavor that never left my tongue. The sweetness covered up any piney citrus flavors that could have been there.The closest citrus I was able to pick up was a little sour and rotten grapefruit. I was hoping for some crisp clean pine but didn't get it.

M- Thin.

D-I did not enjoy drinking this beer. The bad flavors were so overpowering I had to pour it out. it is at the bottom of my list out of all of the Imperial IPAs I have had so far. It actually reminds me of some of the flavors I picked up in pruno. I got a fresh bottle that was delivered to the store the same day. Therefore I know it is the beer and not a bad bottle.

Sharp
Sour
Rotten
No citrus
No pine

06-30-2009 18:22:11 | More by HOPOLOGIST
brewnickbrew

1.95/5  rDev -53.6%

This beer left me thinking: "What am I missing here"
Everyone seems to like this beer. What I got out of it was
A leafy, pungent smelliness. Couldn't figure out if it was malt based, or Hop based. Then I read that they use hop extract. Could this be the nastiness I experienced?
I dumped mine out after 4-5 sips trying to figure this beer out.
I love IPA's and IIPA's. This just seemed really funky to me.
I'm going to go back and buy another so that I can try and enjoy this beer.

10-14-2010 14:13:27 | More by brewnickbrew
hopfacebrew

Colorado

1.95/5  rDev -53.6%

This is my 2nd pass at Hop Stoopid. I tried it about a year ago based on recommendations of trust worthy beer friends and really didn't care for it. Perhaps I got a bad bottle or something last time. Figured it was time to give it another shot!

Poured from 22oz brown bomber to pint glass.

A - The beer pours an orange/amber color. Clear with a 1 finger creamy head. Not much retention and decent lacing.

S - A strong tarty grapefruit nose. Very strong hop character and not much else.

T - The hops again dominate the palette. The tart grapefruit meets onion flavors with the powerful hop character. Absolutely no malt character detected. It tastes like sucking on a onion that's been soaking in grapefruit juice.

M - Full bodied mouthfeel though underwhelming for the style.

D - Not really at all.

Overall, this is two passes through the same beer with the same reaction a year apart. I understand people like this beer but I certainly don't. I will not buy it again. I like the price but there are way too many other much better DIPA options out there to waste any more time with this.

Reviewed on: 02-17-2011 16:59:01

2.25/5  rDev -46.4%

02-26-2014 00:40:38 | More by brywhite
silentjay

2.38/5  rDev -43.3%

have had this before, didnt really like it too much, but figured id give it another shot.

22oz. bomber from the legendary julios.

pours light copper, average head with plenty of lacing left of the glass. poured into a sam adams perfect pint glass which produces a very,very small stream of bubbles. not too impressive.

smells of hops, yah, but artificial... if that makes sense. maybe its extract or syrup or something like that (i really dont know how to describe it). smells like hops, but not quite. bit of citrus, bit of herbs, but more medicinal and artificial than anything.

tastes like syrup. hop syrup. like someone went into a lab and tried to chemically reproduce the hop flavor but was just a bit off. has an almost herbal aftertaste that is most unpleasant.

carbonation is fine, feels ok on the tongue. not impressed nor disappointed by the mouthfeel.

drinkability is in question. the syrup-y, artificial flavor does not do justice to the wonders of the hop. there are redeeming qualities to the beer, but they stay too far in the background for me to look foward to the 10oz i have left of the bomber. the alcohol is hidden enough, but the extract/artificial flavor really hinders the drinkability for me.

i have given this brew a few chances, and i hate to say i probably wont visit this brew again. lagunitas has impressed me with quite a few of their beers and im sure id rather their maximus ipa to this. not for me. though i wish it was.

09-15-2009 04:14:44 | More by silentjay
donkeyrunner

2.4/5  rDev -42.9%

My Dad's pick in the father vs. son beer battle.

Solid gold like touched by Goldmember. Very clear. Good retention and lace from an initially thin head.

Mainly malt aroma. Some minty passion fruit in there but not enough to float my boat.

Taste is similarly lacking in hop flavor. Lots of malt and plenty swampy, pine syrup bitter but no really flavor. I DIPA with this little hop flavor and aroma is in fact hop stupid IMO. Cloying sweetness and unappealing bitter.

I hate the spelling of stupid with two os. This applies to both Lagunitas Hop Stoopid and the Southern California band Slightly Stoopid. I do like the band Slightly Stoopid though. I don't like Hop Stoopid. I declare myself battle winner.

09-16-2012 23:21:59 | More by donkeyrunner
PacNWDad

Washington

2.48/5  rDev -41%

I love hops and understand the appeal of a beer with a ridiculous amount of hops. Love the 120 Minute offering for example. But this is just over the top. It has so much hops that it actually gets kinda skunky. Some people may like hops so much that this is tolerable, but not me.

01-09-2012 02:15:15 | More by PacNWDad