1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Hop Stoopid - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Hop StoopidHop Stoopid

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: lou91 on 03-07-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Stoopid Alström Bros
4.91/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A - 4.75 - nice clear amber golden color with a finger of white head that leaves a nice lacing.

S - 5.0 - the spicy hops bring in grapefruit, lemon, papaya and other tropical fruits, with a nice strong pine needle smell. There's somehow still a malt background behind all the hops. Nice.

T - 5.0 - the taste is definitely comparable to Pliny, with a nice spicy hop bite that becomes almost numbing to your tongue after about half a glass. Grapefruit. Orange/lemon/lime zest. Caramel malt balance. Piney w a tiny hint of grassiness.

M - 4.75 - this beer has a great mouth feel, with a nice medium body that leaves a strong hop aftertaste that's still piney and bitter. Grapefruit lingers in your mouth too. I think it was great that they didn't overdo the ABV (8.0%) because the alcohol is completely hidden.

O - 4.75 - great beer, amazing for the price, probably the most economical hop bomb out there

ISmith87, Aug 29, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

LloydBobBoozehound, Aug 29, 2013
4.64/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours a golden amber with white head, leaves a bit of lacing. Smells sweet with some citrus and pine. Taste follows the nose. More malty than I was expecting. Not really a hop bomb. So smooth and tastes amazing. Mouth is near perfect. Not too heavy or syrupy. Overall, a great DIPA. Way better than the regular Lagunitas IPA.

MisSigsFan, Aug 29, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -16.5%

tpaetow, Aug 29, 2013

jaydoc, Aug 29, 2013
4.31/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - Nearly clear pale orange with fantastic head, two fingers, dense white, and clinging tightly to the glass.

S - Huge aroma of citrus

T - This is why I love California IPAs. Perfect balance of pine and citrus hops. Bitter, but not overly so. A deep earthy malt base anchors the beer along with a little heat from the alcohol.

M - Crisp clean and fine carbonation. Not the off-putting large soda bubbles that are found in some similar big IPAs.

O - What can I say, this is a great beer and one of my standard go-to's. Incredibly drinkable and perfectly balanced all around.

JAFoley, Aug 29, 2013
3.71/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Enjoyed this with AleBorland83 for his 30th birthday. The bottle states 102 IBUs however the beer was not super bitter at all. In fact, it almost tasted sweet. Not what I was expecting. I found a caramel flavor hidden amongst what was supposed to be a hop bomb. The malt profile was extremely pleasant and the alcohol well hidden. I love me some Lagunitas but this is not their best beer. It's still good and I would recommend it, especially at $4.99 for a 22 oz bomber in Brooklyn.

WheelsPSU, Aug 28, 2013

Smokezz, Aug 27, 2013

smithj4, Aug 27, 2013

LincolnHawk, Aug 27, 2013
3.89/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

22 oz. bomber poured into an IPA glass. No date visible on the bottle.

A - Deep orange color. Darker than most DIPA's I have poured. Poured very light head. Nice lacing as the beer recedes after drinking.

S - Distinct apricot/peach, citrus, pine, and brown sugar.

T - Not what I expected. Bottle label says 102 IBU's, but an a brown sugar/white grape juice taste overwhelms the hops/citrus characteristics.

M - Well carbonated, but feels somewhat syrupy. Coincides with high level of sweetness.

Definitely not what I expected from a West Coast DIPA or a beer with 100+ IBU's. Beer is too malty/sweet for my tastes.

Duane_Opfer, Aug 27, 2013

Tertullian007, Aug 27, 2013

Boone757, Aug 27, 2013

IDABEERGUY, Aug 26, 2013

Ian_Hammons, Aug 26, 2013

wolf_switzer, Aug 26, 2013

kwkurdziel, Aug 26, 2013
3.8/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I had a 22 oz bomber of this last night it was about a month old

had a lot of sediment in the bottom of the bottle if you jostled it around it looked like it was snowing out

I was expecting a super hop bomb , but it tasted more malty to me with not much bitterness

with over 100 I.B.U I was expecting a different flavor

maybe I had a bad bottle I love all of the lay-guh-nee-tas

so I will not give up on it and will try it again

the alcohol was there and you wouldn't know it was 8%

overall I would give a maybe bad bottle a B+

Joe_Grizzly, Aug 25, 2013

scxcrunner, Aug 25, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

RinZo, Aug 25, 2013
4.79/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is a must have on draft. In bottle, I get a completely different taste- thicker, more carmel/syrup feel. I get this from the bottle time after time. On draft, it's much lighter, much more tasty and preferred. This was in my top 5 when I first tried it, but now, I don't know. Still in my top 50 though!

edgeh2o, Aug 24, 2013