Join our email list →

American Double / Imperial IPA | 8.00% ABV

Beer added by: lou91 on 03-07-2007

Reviews: 2,063 | Hads: 7,283
4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

A - Poured this into my Strong Beer Month 2009 globe glass. Excellent clarity, medium-light orange in color. Formed a thin off-white head but lacked head retention. Small amount of visible carbonation.

S - Did I just open up a bag of dank? It almost smells that way. Loads of piney/resiney hop aromas marry with some grapefruit.

T - Wow. This one's bursting with hop kick. The flavors tend on the piney side, mirroring the aroma. Bitterness is extraordinarily high. Malt is clean and is definitely taking a back seat to the hops. Wonderful crisp dry finish and a long, lingering bitterness.

M - Medium bodied, moderate/moderate-high carbonation. Perhaps my palette is playing a trick on me but the beer feels a bit overcarbonated. I might be confused but I think that's the only detractor as far as body goes.

D - Damn. This is one fine DIPA. The first time I had this beer was at a brewfest up in Novato. I recall being extremely impressed at the time then failing to ever pick up a bottle. When I saw this on the shelves of my local BevMo, I knew I needed to give it a shot. Very well done. Loads of hop flavor, tons of bitterness, excellent dry finish. It ain't quite Pliny the Elder but this beer is getting damn close. Kudos to the folks at Lagunitas for making one of my new favorite Imperial IPAs.

4.12/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured into thee DT Tulip.

A: Golden, very much on the dark side. A frothy 1.5 cm head persists (maybe with help of the glass, can just see the etching blasting bubbles to the top) and there is lively lacing.

S: Very aromatic, sweet grapefruit, caramel, grassy meadows?

T: Alcohol runs and hides, good masking. Touch of sweetness, malty, to peach and grapefruit, polished off by a very mellow grassy linger.

M: Light, but slippery, easy drinking

D: $5.99!? With the outrageous price of hops this seems like a bargain. I think this is a good DIPA, but the market is huge and I would seek alternatives. Solid beer that did not dissapoint.

4.22/5  rDev +1%

A beautiful light copper with a thick white head that laces like mad.
Smells all grassy and piney. Lots of citrus and sweet caramel goodness. The smell is just too damn good, I don't want to drink it. It's hard to tell which hop note is the most pronounced.
On to the taste, and damn, is it just like the smell. Nicely sweet with tons of hop presence. Smooth and creamy with very little carbonation in the mouth. Rich and creamy and delicious and one of my new favorite beers.

3.78/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

This is a highly regarded beer coming out of Lagunitas. After reading through the reviews here, I definitely had my expectations soaring, for the "value beer of the year" or "one of the best buys available". Unfortunately, I just didn't think it lived up to the hype. Don't get me wrong - it's a solid beer and a nice effort from Lagunitas. Just not nearly this hype-worthy. Maybe I'm just spoiled by the Hopslam and Nugget Nectar in the fridge. Anyway...

A: Beautiful. Deep golden color. Nice, thick texture. Decent head to it, but not overly carbonated appearance. I just wanted to dive in.

S: Intensely aromatic. I could smell this from the second I popped the lid off the bomber. In fact, my sister-in-law could smell it from the couch when I walked past her. Pine sap is the dominant scent, by far. It's followed by grapefruit and somewhere under there is some sweet malt (probably honey is closest).

T: Sight and smell were better than taste. Perhaps this is where the hype had mislead me. I really wanted to see more citrus in this flavor. Or at least a less astringent bitterness. Or less dominatingly pervasive bitterness. Like the scent, pine was still #1, followed by some grapefruit and possibly some orange zest. The warmer it got, the more prevalent the honey became and the more balanced and likeable the brew was overall.

M: Wonderful texture. If the flavor only matched my preferences, I would have swirled it around in my mouth and danced for joy.

D: Piney and bitter when cold. Much more drinkable when cellar temperature. Not too bad when in the mid-60's, either. I'd drink it again.

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

This poured a clear gold color with off-white head. It smelled like strong pine hops, with rose and potpourri notes, and a bit of honey. It tasted like pine and rose hops with some juniper and fresh peppercorn, and lingering honey sweetness. It was somewhat thick with a bit of carbonation, and had a smooth bittersweet aftertaste. Overall this was a pretty interesting beer, almost like if Sierra Nevada made an imperial IPA but better. It had that same pine character, but it was brewed with much more skill and delicate touch than Sierra tends to provide. The beer seems like an unbalanced hop bomb at first, but then it ends with incredible malty sweetness, and an overall very clean taste. It had great body too, and hid the alcohol well under the big flavors. This beer is better to sip, but is very enjoyable to drink. Great value, too!

2.66/5  rDev -36.4%

Let's get to it. I didn't like this much; at least in comparison to the classic IPAs from Stone and Bells. I didn't get big citrus and pine. SOME sour grapefruit, but more sharp cheddar and sourness. Over the top hops with little malt--which is fine with me....when the hop taste is yummy. This was sharp, sour, but also bland. I have had a lot of citrus/piney IPAs and I don't get that from this brew like other reviewers did. I won't be revisiting this.

Consumed on 2/22/09

Poured a copper color with no visible head. Smells of sweet citrus hops and has a nice hop burn as it travels down the throat. Taste is bitter citrus and pine hops and has a light body. Alcohol is well hidden and is very drinkable. Good value for the money although not a top contender for favorite DIPA.

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Quite a fine looking specimen of deep amber copper galore. Thick white chunky white head. Rocky as hell with spectacular lacing chunky as well. Retention is long long long.

This is just an great smelling beer. Cat piss and grapefruit jump out of the glass. A light malt aroma in the background with other citrusy goodness but just hard to pull anything out of the burst at the beginning.

Easily the best Lagunitas beer I've had. Asprin, cat pee, citrus, more of a malt prescence in the middle bready in character but this beer is all about wonderful juicy ass grapefruit. Throughout the entire palate from beginning to middle and long into the finish. Nice bitterness wth a mouthfeel that stays in tact and leaves a drying sensation but nothing acrid like many DIPA's I've sampled recently have been. Great priced as well. I'll be buying a case of this beauty.

4.47/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours a clear coppery color with a large white foamy head. This is a good,not great looking beer. The smell is very pungent with a huge citrus hop aroma. The taste is very good with a gigantic blast of citrus hops. I feel like I just had a sip of grapefruit juice with alcohol in it. Along with the citrus hops, there is some hop bitterness to this. The m/f is light with all the flavors mixing very well. This is a big bottle of juicy grapefruit hops. Enjoy.

4.55/5  rDev +8.9%

First off, upon opening this bomber of goodness a poof of peach fills the air...great start.

Ahhh...then it pours to a clearer then clear body of pale orangish gold color and lifts a hugely thick capping of crunchy lightly yellowed whitish foam. It swiftly simmers down to a firm and dense skim remaining present throughout the duration of its time in the glass. Tons of torn up sheets and big spots of lacing stick very well. May need to scrap before it becomes permanent...geez. Impressive looker!

And ahhh...the nose is great. Mega fresh peach is what I claim first, then pineapple, bright orange peels, lemon rinds, and what all that sets is one oily heap of zippy citric freshness. Wonderfully boasting and fresh!

Taste doesn't disappoint...more ahhh's to be had here no doubt. Crisp and crunchy peachy factors over pineapple, orange marmalade, and super high juicy peelyness abound. Zesty, buzzing, lemon and lime hints, definately hoppy, peppery even, but mellowing enough in its IBU's to claim a stake to your palate with an amazing ease and comfort. Slightly toastified malty backing with smidgeons to biscuityness. The hopitude oilyness ensues as it warms and becomes a bit more evident in its unique and late set finish of bittering pineyness. SOLID.

Body is clean, crisp, bright, kind of crunchy yet rounded nicely. Mediumishly set, nearing full and loaded well of hoppy textures and tongue tantilazing hop paste. It makes a home quickly on your taste buds and doesn't leave. Fantasticly clean and oily hopped up finish with peach fuzz and pine left overs.
Pfft, pfft, (tongues teeth)damn, I think I need a toothpick to pick the hop bits from my teeth. Which is weird, cuz apparantly this is all extract? Oh well, I still feel like I brushed my teeth with a bunch of hops. Delightfully yummy!

I want to be able to drink the hell out of this, but just couldn't, it is a bit of a brute. But one that would pick you up after knocking you on your ass. What a nice brew.

Plus, at under $5 per bomber this is a fucking steal!

4.09/5  rDev -2.2%

Pale orange, steady stream of large CO2 bubbles, white head and decent lacing. Big time pine sap aroma. Mmm mmm, this is how I like my DIPAs. Yes, there's some sweet maltiness in the nose, but it's completely out done by the pine and light citrus. Flavor is pretty good. For 102 IBUs I was expecting a lot more bitterness, but this is more hop flavor than bitterness to me. It's mostly pine with maybe some hints of citrus, and solid pale malt backbone with a biscuit/cracker like character. Medium to full bodied, average carbonation. Pretty easy to drink actually, and the 7.7% ABV doesn't weigh you down. A nice DIPA, but nothing great.

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

22 ounce bomber poured into a Unibroue tulip. No bottling information is listed on the bottle. Consumed on 2/16/09.

This bottle is different than previous bottles of Hop Stoopid that I have purchased. The logo has been tweaked and this beer is no longer under the Sonoma Farmhouse by Lagunitas brand. The abv has been reduced from 8.2% to its current 7.7%.

A-Nice amber color. No haziness when poured. Nice 2 finger head that slowly dissipates. Tons of lacing left on the glass.

S-Citrus is the dominant smell hitting my nose.

T-Taste like it smells Ton of grapefruit runs through your palate. Remarkably balanced for the 102 IBUs that are in the bottle.

M-Smooth, light bodied mouthfeel.

D-Goes down very easily. Alcohol presence is not to be found. Would love to see this as a sixer.

Hop Stoopid is still a great beer. I would say the old 8.2% version was a 4.5 for both smell and taste. Can't complain though due to its reasonable price point ($3.69 before tax and CRV).

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

A superbly drinkable DIPA. A copper jewel with copious decoration, it pleases the eye. Smell is sweet with caramel and pine. A citrus grove is hidden in this bottle. Tastiness is a signature. The usual suspects are all here. Citrus and pine hop blend, caramel malts to balance. The art is found in the mixture. While assertively hopped it is friendly to your tongue. Feel is lightly syrupy and gently effervescent. A dryness of finish and feel is balanced by light hop oiliness.
Drinkability is just short of a five. Maybe it should be. It goes down like a lager on a hot day and never gives notice to the abv. I'm on the fence as I just powered through the bomber. Good stuff here. If you are into sessioning DIPAs this is a good one.

4.15/5  rDev -0.7%

102 IBU, 7.7% ABV bomber with screw on cap...nice.

Initial nose is big on grapefruit...I'm talking pith.

Clear orangey brass with a tight head that wants to hang around a bit.

If you are into citrussy hops then this is your beer. The citrus-pith flavor of this beer is quite amazing really. The label indicates that hop extracts were used. If this be the end result of extract brewing, then I'm all for it.

The "102 I.B.U. 4 U." claim may make you brace for a bitter hop onslaught like Rogue Old Crusty. But if ever there can be a case to be made that not all IBUs are created equal, then match these two and I'll let you be the judge. These IBUs are all about aromatics and flavor.

And this beer is very drinkable...I imagine it would pair very well with some extra sharp cheddar.

Cheers...

3.88/5  rDev -7.2%

A- Pours a light orange color, with a creamy one finger head. Excellent retention and lacing.

S- Hop forward as expected, but not any real stand out features. Fairly one sided.

F- Much nicer than the aroma, exhibiting big showcase hop flavors, with very mild bitterness. Slight malt sweetness is greatly overshadowed by the piney and floral hop flavors. Nice.

M- Medium bodied, well carbonated. Actually quite nice for a DIPA.

D- Not bad, hides the alcohol quite well.

Overall, pretty tasty. If this is indeed made with 100% hop extract and no leaf/pellet hops, then I would consider this to be pretty damn impressive. My biggest complaint is that all of the Lagunitas brews are beginning to taste like the same thing over and over... You do it well, but come on... give us something new.

A - Pours 1 finger of sticky white head. It has a good retention and leaves some nice lacing. It's pretty clear and amber in color.

S - A pretty strong citrusy hops nose. There are also background notes of sweet caramelized malts.

M - A medium-bodied beer, moderately carbonated with a fairly smooth feel to it.

T - A great mix of sweetness and several varieties of hops. The citrus flavors hit first, lots of orange and lemon. There is a nice caramel malt towards the center followed by some piny hops and a grapefruit finish with some added sweetness.

This is a pretty well balanced DIPA. It doesn't destroy your palette and balances well. It's very drinkable despite the higher alcohol content.

4.3/5  rDev +2.9%

A: Light golden amber, with a short white foam of head that recedes fairly quickly.

S: Sweet citrus scents - grapefruit stands out quite strongly. Some floral notes are present, but for the most half, the citrus scent dominates.

T + M + D: Not tongue tearing bitter - a sweeter, but slightly sharp flavour of grapefruit, quite similar to grapefruit juice, actually. It's a pretty nice tasting beer without the aggressiveness of some others. Alcohol is very well hidden and really nice to drink. Body is medium and a little slick with a sting of carbonation to open.

3.93/5  rDev -6%

Pours a light amber thats slightly cloudy. There is a 1/4" soapy white head that quickly recedes to a fine ring. The smell is cut grass and pine up front, actually right from the bottle upon opening but upon further sniffs there is a strong alcohol and sweeter citrus and malts. The taste is hoppy, pine and citrus with a strong alcohol presence. The mouthfeel is smooth and full and the drinkability is strong even with the high, noticeable alcohol. Overall a great hoppy beer.

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

Purchased at Green's(Buford Hwy) in Atlanta. Beer pours a beautiful copper/gold with not much head. Smells of citrus and malts. The taste begins a little sweet but soon the citrus hops and malt flavors hit you. I'm a big fan of well balanced beers and this beer does not disappoint. Alcohol is well hidden in this tasty brew. Recommended.

3.8/5  rDev -9.1%

I am having better and better double IPAs, this being one. Its well hopped, and the flavour comes through well supported by the malt backbone, without killing my palate. Very drinkable, even at lunchtime. Not complex, more high IBU hopping, enjoyable nevertheless. Good head and lace. Above average mouthfeel.

3.95/5  rDev -5.5%

22 oz. bottle into a snifter/ no freshness date

P: Light gold from the bottle, and sits deep amber with a cherry twist. 2 fingered off-white head is thick, creamy, and sticky. Good retention, with spots of lacing on the way down.

A: Big citrusy hops smell kind of skunky with huge notes of fresh grapefruit and lemon rinds dominating the nose. There is a very faint biscuity malt, with some caramel present, but it barely manages to poke its head through the wall of hops.

T: A barely-even-noticeable toasted biscuity malt lays way underneath a big, robust hop profile that explodes with pure grapefruit, lemons, and some faint floral notes. Hmmm! It's that mouth-watering, mouth-puckering hops flavor that I love so much. Nice bitterness, as the malts stay out of the way of this full-on hops show!

M & D: My big complaint with this beer is that it's much thinner than I would like, due to the very skim malt presence. It's above being light bodied, but not by much. While it is smooth, it's just too thin and watery for my personal preference. Drinkability is good, but would be so much better if it were fuller on the palate.

Notes: I really liked the flavors that Hop Stoopid had to offer. And, you just can't beat the value of this hoppy of a beer at 8.2%. But, the mouthfeel was a disappointment for me. I just think that a fuller body would have built a stronger wall of flavor for the palate to indulge in. But overall, this is very good beer.

4.12/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured bomber into a pint glass. Color of a somewhat lightly dark orange haze with minimal head appeared. Big aromatics are displayed the moment the cap is opened. Smells of orange/lime citrus with pine characteristics. A perfectly hoped brew that is a little thicker in nature, but after it is a double. Could pass for a 6% ABV. Very drinkable.... 22 oz. does not give this beer justice. Recommended.

4.55/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I found this bottle in San Rafael, a mere 10 miles from the brewery, and after recently trying it on tap, I had to pick it up for a second taste. Once again, this beer is superb. It's really one of the best DIPAs, except that the hop profile is not quite unique enough. It's not really a problem. I love the beer. It's just that different parts of the hop profile, sweet citrus and fresh pine/spruce, are done better by other DIPAs, so it's hard to give a perfect score. It's about as sweet as a Pliny the Elder, but the flavor is somewhere between Pliny and a grapefruit hop bomb from Port or something (unfortunately, I'm not trying it up against some other DIPAs despite trying to convince my sick girlfriend to drink against the advice of her doctor). This beer stacks . There is a ton of caramel malt to back up the huge flavor. The feel is wonderfully oily with hop essence. The aroma is enormously hoppy. There's a hint of dry yeast. Great DIPA, wonderful hops.

It's very similar as it was on tap. I like the feel a bit better this time around, but that might just be the day or my present state of mind or something. There is not a big difference between the serving types, anyway.

4.67/5  rDev +11.7%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter.

A- Poured a light, clear copper. Fingers width of white head formed and laced the glass as consumed.

S- Wow! Brought me right back to the experience I had with PtE. Bouquet of citrus and hop aromas that couldn't smell any fresher. Absolutely perfect.

T- Follows the nose...almost. Very nice combination of citrus and fruits with the fresh piney hops. Great example of what a west coast DIPA should be like.

M- Medium bodied with some carbonation.

D- This went down so smooth, I can't even begin to explain. The taste was so good that I couldn't even taste the alcohol.

Overall, this is one awesome west coast brew. Very glad that I picked this one up of the shelves. Definitely a must try if you are a fan of Pliny the Elder.

4.32/5  rDev +3.3%

22oz bottle into 25 oz snifter. Old review from 1-4-09 to a new review with a fresher sample. New review on 3-22-09.

Clear amber hue with a slight reddish tint. The head is light tan, about one and a half fingers in height, pillowy, and settles to a thin cap leaving behind a solid wall of lacing. As the beer descends down the glass it creates rings of solid lacing.

Huge amount of sharp, peppery, and citrusy hops rise from the top of this one. Bready malts sit in the background.

Each sip offers an explosion of hop flavor. Sharp grapefruit that almost has its own spiciness to it. A little bit of sweeter fruit comes into the middle. The malts only show up in the background, but what's the point of describing them? They only get buried under the flavor of the hops. Full bodied.

Possibly up to Triple IPA standards, this one is a punch in the mouth after another. By the way, the alcohol is well hidden. When fresh, the hops are razor sharp. It seemed hard to set this one down. Recommended.

Hop Stoopid from Lagunitas Brewing Company