Hop Stoopid - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Hop StoopidHop Stoopid

pDev: 10%
Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: lou91 on 03-07-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Stoopid Alström Bros
IIKaRuII

3.8/5  rDev -9.5%

pours a stunningly golden hugh, with a egg shell color head that seems thick and inviting.
smell is as you would expect something being called hop stoopid. generously citrusy, with after notes of floral and pine,
Taste is a very sweet grapefruit, and citrusy. has a nice bouquet of floral hops. smell is true to the taste and is also floral on the end. Bitter at the end.
pleasently carbonated that seems to mask the alcohol somewhat. which i would expect in an IPA.
sits a bit sticky on the mouth.
really nothing special with this one. but good all the way around.

03-19-2011 04:10:07 | More by IIKaRuII
Auracom

3.2/5  rDev -23.8%

Bomber into my C&B tulip on March 17th, 2011.

Standard IPA coloring but with a pretty excellent light tan/white head and very nice lacing. Honestly, the best part of the brew for me. All the basics were in the nose, predominantly citrus with secondary floral and pine characters. Taste was pretty much the same but all the characters felt reduced, hops felt a tad thin at first (might've left this one sitting too long). Overall just "meh". Medium body, appropriate carbonation and ABV-masking. Bitter coating leftovers on the tongue.

Not likely to revisit this one. I've had better from Lagunitas for sure.

03-18-2011 18:55:22 | More by Auracom
bobpanz

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured this into a tulip glass. Color was copper. Head was thick, white, and healthy. Smelled like fresh flowers, taste had citrus and pine notes, sort of like marijuana, which I always get when I drink the Lagunitas IPA. Very little alcohol flavor to note, bitter finish where the malt made its presence known. I really loved this beer, and it's one of the better Double IPA's I've sampled to date.

03-16-2011 22:27:05 | More by bobpanz
yourchoice

3.73/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Catching up on some notes from the earlier this week...

A - Straw blonde with an orange hue. Little head with minimal lacing. Clear, not cloudy.

S - Almost smell the hops themselves! Obvious pine and citrus...Almost tangerine instead of grapefruit. Smells great!

T - Hmmm....not as hoppy as I expected. Pine, and not as much citrus as I epected. Very nice except for a slight metallic taste I'm picking up. Like I said...hmmm.

M - Not overly carbonated. Maybe a bit thin.

O - Overall, I will say I expected more from this beer.

03-14-2011 01:35:36 | More by yourchoice
mellowmark

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured from a 22 oz. brown bottle to an Oversized Wine glass. Using a Julian calculator from the numbers (34777611) on the neck it appears this was brewed sometime in October. I hope I am wrong. $4.98 a bottle.

Appearance: Pours golden orange with a 2-finger frothy white head. Decent head retention. Patchy lacing. Completely transparent.

Smell: Tropical fruit and citrus piney hops. Not much else to say other than it smells great. Very floral, as it should be, with a very fruity backbone. I was going to give it a 5 for smell, but for some reason I keep coming back to the smell of those pink urinal cakes in some men's bathrooms. Gross I know, but every time I smell it now I can't help but think of it. Good thing that isn't all I get, it just reminds me of it.

Taste: Mix of pine and earthy hops. Strong citrus. Sweet candied aftertaste lingers with earthy bitter undertones. I would definitely not mistake this for a high IBU beer if someone didn't tell me first.

Mouthfeel: Mouthfeel is medium with a perfect (medium) carbonation level. This does not smell or taste like a 5 month old DIPA. Absolutely no trace of the alcohol near as I can tell. Maybe just a little in the warming effect, but that's it. Dangerously drinkable.

Drinkability: High

Very impressed with this one. Not amazing but solid all the way through.

03-13-2011 05:37:33 | More by mellowmark
gskitt

4.28/5  rDev +1.9%

This surprised me. I had this on tap and never reviewed it and I do not remember liking it this much. Ruby pour, fluffy head, some stick on the glass. Very fragrant with super floral notes, I mean flowers! Apricot and pineapple up front, hops comes in later but does not take over. A pleasant bitterness at the end. Pine resins are here as well. A bit sticky but an easy drinking 8%.

03-13-2011 04:34:45 | More by gskitt
Cottzilla

4.2/5  rDev 0%

White head with substantial lacing. Citricy hop smell is really good.

Light amber/golden color looks good not great. I expected a deeper golden color.

You taste the hops immediately, then the malt flavor kicks in and then it finishes with a slightly bitter aftertaste.

This is a very drinkable DIPA.

03-13-2011 02:06:33 | More by Cottzilla
jsulko

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

Bomber poured into a tulip

Color is a light gold with white head that clings to the glass

Smell is citrus grapefruity

Citrus and hops come through well on the taste

Very drinkable alcohol is well hidden

Not quite to the level of the super double ipas but very good

03-13-2011 01:12:35 | More by jsulko
misinformed

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

22 oz. bottled 2/8, reviewed 3/10/11, tulip glass.

A- Clear, almost glowing, light orange beer poured with 1/4" of off-white head. The second pour was closer to a 1/2" of head, but both times it faded pretty quickly. I did notice a tiny bit of lacing left behind at the end of the glass.

S- Awesome hoppy sweet grapefruit and citrus pith. The alcohol is detectable if you let your glass get that warm.

T- Again, sweet grapefruity hops, some light grass. The bitterness is there, but very mild. Mild sweet caramely backbone. Finishes with the mild bitterness again.

M- Medium bodied, but the fine carbonation makes it feel very light. Some oily/mouthcoating going on that helps with the long finish.

D- This one sparked my love of grapefruit notes in my beer so it's about time I got around to reviewing it. All around a bit milder than I remember. The malt backbone is light and sweet which makes for the perfect balance to the grapefruit/citrus hop flavors. Not much else to say...I love it.

03-12-2011 08:25:21 | More by misinformed
UCLABrewN84

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours a super clear apple juice color with a nice 2 inch stark white head that fades to a small frothy cap. Bubbly ring lacing on the drink down. Smell is of citrus zest hops, grapefruit, and pineapple juice. Very fruity and juicy smelling. Taste starts with grapefruit juice hops, pineapple juice, and a sweet malt backbone. Very refreshing and delicious. A very mild bitterness on the palate after each sip. Good carbonation levels but this has a somewhat medium body. A bit thick and creamy but not too much. Exceptionally easy to drink. Great smell and great taste all around. One of my go to DIPAs.

03-12-2011 06:10:36 | More by UCLABrewN84
timmick

Oregon

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured from a 22oz bottle.

A: Nice, rich amber color, clean and clear looking with a nice off white head on the pour, giving way to thin film with nice lacing on the glass.

S: Hoppy pine scent opens your eyes, then layers out nicely with a sweet lemon scent. Nice sweet, fruity notes keep me guessing and coming back.

T: Sweet, malty, fruity, front end that gives way to a pop of piney hops on the swallow. Nice balance, the hops do not overpower. Less hop bite than expected based on the name and aroma.

M: Smooth, medium feel with pleasant carbonation for nice balance.

D: Nice hoppy ale that I really enjoyed. I liked trying to figure out the flavors and aromas with this one. Very well balanced. I think I'm going to have to buy another bottle soon!

03-12-2011 03:38:52 | More by timmick
eric5bellies

Australia

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

A - Pours a nice golden amber colour with a frothy white head that laces and reduces to a film

S - Mandarin, citrus and pine.

T - Citrus up front that gives way to some major hops, before finishing with a bitter grapefruit.

M - Light to medium body with balanced carbonation.

D - Very highly drinkable DIPA with plenty of balance.

03-11-2011 08:30:50 | More by eric5bellies
Thickfreakness

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

My first time getting Hop Stoopid!!!

A- Poured into a Maudite Tulip glass... a nice orange/amber brew with a foamy bright white head that holds on for a bit, then fades away leaving a nice foaming dripping lacing.

S- Grapefruit, candied orange, wet grass, lemon, with a sweet malty hint.

T- Lots of citrus, grassy notes... nice malty backbone that slips in before going back to that wonderful grapefruit bitterness. Honey, candied fruit... perhaps some mango and pineapple. The fruit really opens up as it warms up a bit.

M- Bitter, sweet, grassy and clean hopiness. Lots of fruit on the tongue... love the balance of sweet malts and bitter pithy hops.

D- This could be an everyday drinker! Why can't I find this in 6-packs instead of just bombers? The alcohol bite never comes thru... that is until you stand up after drinking a bomber of it! Overall... a remarkable IPA... Gotta get more of this before it disappears!

03-11-2011 02:08:05 | More by Thickfreakness
billab914

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

Another beer that I've waited way too long to sit down and write a review for. Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Allagash glass. It poured a hazy, amber/orange color with a thick and rocky white head filling the top two inches of the glass. The head lasted very well into drinking it, and left some great lacing as well.

The aroma has a very nice and bright hoppiness to it. It has notes of pine, grapefruit and pineapple all coming through at one time or another. Some pale malts provide a base for all the hops, and some sweetness as well.

The taste shows more of the pineapple and grapefruit citrusy flavors throughout the beer. I get a bit of the piny, bitterness in the finish. The pale malts provide some nice sweetness that compliments the hoppiness. Excellent hoppy flavor overall.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is very good, it's one of my favorite hoppy beers I can find regularly. A very good beer overall, and one I don't have often enough.

03-11-2011 01:29:58 | More by billab914
SirRuss

3.98/5  rDev -5.2%

A - bright amber haze with head, retention, and lacing striking all the right notes

S - Not getting a huge amount. Some pine, and sleet citrus. That's about it.

T - The zesty citrus and pine notes are clearly the key players, with the malt expressions being light yet forthcoming. There's also a peculiar funky, vegetal, woodiness that blows around in the background. Good transition across the palate.

M - Lagunitas are the masters of substantial mouthfeel, and they've certainly not fallen short on this one - the carbonation and malt weight have to be the highlight.

D/O - Pretty solid DIPA, although toward the lower end of the scale. Complexity and balance could be improved,and I'd reconsider the woodiness, but all-in-all it's a thumbs up.

03-10-2011 04:26:04 | More by SirRuss
TCgoalie

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

I have had his in the past and have considered it one of the best bomber values. When I saw it on the top 100 list, I had to finally review it.

Stoopid pours a golden yellow with just a bit of head from the pour. A small bit of lacing appears on the sides of the glass, not too impressive of a sight.

The smell brings about a floral bouquet of pine, mixed flowers, and grass. It has a very fragrant fresh smell.

I would say that the most prominent flavor is western pine hops. Along with pine is some mild grapefruit, lemon zest, grass, and orange zest. All of the hoppy fruit bitterness is backed by ample malts. Good balance.

The resulting feel in the mouth from this brew is a medium full with some airiness. There is a slight drying resulting in an overall satisfying feel.

This is a previously underrated beer, but the new top 100 has it right. Hop Stoopid is a solid DIPA!

03-10-2011 03:40:21 | More by TCgoalie
Bendurgin

Maine

4.08/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured into a pint glass. The beer pours a cleary golden color with deep orange hues and a thin layer of creamy white head that caps this off nicely. Lots of lively visible carbonation shooting up the beer.

Fantastic aroma on this. Nice candied orange zest aroma with a nice grassy hop aroma to finish it off. Just a lot of hops on the profile. It has a bit of a juicy flavor but mostly a big hop character and a noticable malt backbone.

Good feel to this. The body seems a bit heavy but it's not of done. Kind of sticky one the finish but the carbonation is good. Drinks amazingly. It's pretty dangerous the I drive by a store that sells these around five bucks a bomber every day.

03-09-2011 17:11:53 | More by Bendurgin
tbraun1

Maryland

4.08/5  rDev -2.9%

22oz bomber to mug

A - Deep, golden, somewhat amber hues and just a tad cloudy. Nice, white, two finger head off the pour that was barely contained by the large oktoberfest mug I used. Lacing was excellent as I enjoyed this brew.

S - The hop extract they used jumps out at the nose; a citrus smack in the face. Also, there is a subtle, sweet/biscuity malt undertone that also comes through.

T - Wow. Excellent balance for a DIPA. The alcohol is well hidden and was not as bitter as some other DIPA's I have sampled over the years. Nice, assertive, hop's get you on the front end but such a smooth, somewhat biscuity aftertaste.

M - Medium bodied with a bit of carbonation; A pleasant dry finish.

D - Some DIPA's that approach the 10% ABV are a bit much to enjoy more than one or two in a session but this brew was so well crafted I wish I had another bomber. A value at $3.99!!

03-09-2011 00:00:55 | More by tbraun1
betsona

Idaho

3.58/5  rDev -14.8%

22oz bottled pour into a pint glass. Thanks to ggwheeler and larryi86 for both bottles.

A- Clean yellowish-orange beer. Nice frothy two finger off-white head generated off a moderate pour. Head dissipates into tiny white looking islands. Minimal glass lacing. Not much visible carbonation.

S- Hops! Plentiful hops. Citrus ones. Piney ones. Also a little malt. Sweet smelling malt. Truly a joy to smell hops, but not surprised considering hop extract is used.

T- I wanted more bitterness. 102 I.B.U.4.U. That means hop delicious. Did not find it to be so. Started off bitter but then turned into more acidic non-hop taste.

M- Light body. Little carbonation. Not much lingering on the palate. What does linger is pleasant.

D- Not horribly upset I cannot get this one all the time. It is a nice change, but not worth trading for. If I move, I do see myself enjoying on a bi-monthly rate.

03-07-2011 00:04:14 | More by betsona
DearthVader

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%

Bomber poured in my Duvel tulip

Appearance was ok with a great color, but little go no head. It's color was a crystal amber.

The smell is of pine, citrus, floral, hops, hops, and more hops. A very pleasant smell to this one.

Taste is great. One of my favorite DIPA to date. A ton of pine with hints of citrus in every sip. I was expecting more of a hop-forward finish after the smell of it was so heavy on the hops. It was very smooth though, with a slight hint of hops that lingers nicely.

Mouthfeel was incredible. Perfect level of carbonation and a very good job balancing the hops in this one.

Drinkability is dangerously good. I ended up drinking my bomber in under 10 minutes, then had a second one in about 20 right afterwards. The 100+ IBU's and 8% ABV are both very well hidden.

This is a great beer and a very reasonably priced one as well. Well done Lagunitas.

03-06-2011 20:00:22 | More by DearthVader
bigkamp

Rhode Island

4.55/5  rDev +8.3%

Poured from a 16 oz. bottle into a smithwick's pint glass. purchased for 5.99 in providence. I could not find a bottled on date.

The beer pours with a nice level of carbonation and forms a nice 2 finger head at the top of the glass above a golden/amber body.

Smell is precisely what I love about a nicely hopped IPA. Pine, citrus, little sweetness in there too. Reminds me a lot of Pliny the Elder! eerily similar.

This taste is perfect to me. A smooth crisp taste turns into intense bitterness on the finish. Leaving me saying, "let me try that again"

The bitterness is what earns this only a "4" in drinkability. I usually start my day/night with one bomber and then switch to something else. Also, two bombers would probably have me feeling quite tipsy.

Strongly recomended. My go to beer for DIPA.

03-05-2011 19:32:30 | More by bigkamp
grannun

4.2/5  rDev 0%

A - Nice gold, filtered, very little head, but expected for an IPA at this ABV.

S - Wow, HOPS! I guess the name implies it, but the hop aroma is awesome. A little citrus in there too

T - slight citrus up front, then hops, hops and more hops all the way through. For 100+ IBU this beer is VERY drinkable and wasn't overwhelmingly bitter.

M - Slight carbonation, moderate bitterness, very crisp

D - Very drinkable for the high IBU and ABV. Alcohol is well hidden.

Overall, a very nice IPA, would for sure drink it again.

03-04-2011 05:15:31 | More by grannun
MrHurmateeowish

New Hampshire

4.97/5  rDev +18.3%

22oz bottle purchased at McKinnon's. Pours a nice crystal-clear amber body with just about no head. Smells amazing. Pine, grapefruit, mint, fresh-cut grass, cattiness, herb, green pepper... Wow, the aromas just keep coming. Pine, orange, grapefruit, pulp, lemongrass, mint, herb, green pepper, fresh-cut grass, with just enough caramel, toffee, and bread so this isn't a complete hop bomb. Medium in both body and carbonation. One sip most definitely invites another, making this one dangerously drinkable.

Holy crap. I have never had a beer like this. This more than earns its name. So good. Probably the best IIPA I have ever had ever. And what a value! Holy crap.

03-03-2011 03:39:20 | More by MrHurmateeowish
12percent

3.83/5  rDev -8.8%

From bottle to pint glass.

Beautiful golden color, not much head.

They dont call it Hop Stoopid for nothing. It smacks you in the face from the first sip.

Citrusy from the start. First impression wasnt pleasant, but after a few sips I started to get the full experience. Strong, but not overbearing. Leaves a nice after taste.

A good ale. I dont know if id purchase it again anytime soon... Definitely not a beer id want to drink night after night.

03-03-2011 03:23:14 | More by 12percent
HOPPYKC

Kansas

4.03/5  rDev -4%

Poured into a pint glass. I didn't see a bottled on or BB date available on the bottle.

A- Pours a nice golden color that is clear and transparent. HAd a very small amount of head that dissipated very quickly. Left a very small amount of lacing on the glass.

S- A hop explosion. Right off the bat i get a lot of fruit and pine. A nice meld of light fruits, maybe lemons and oranges. A grainy aroma as well plays a back note. I don't get a lot of malt in the group.

T- Really nice. Its a little too similar to they're Regular IPA in my opinion. There is some kind of astringency that lingers or quite some time. As well as the hops do. An extremely dry finish. The alcohol is hidden pretty well.

M&D- A really great drinkability for a DIPA. Most of the ones i'm used to have closer to a 10% ABV. A smooth finish almost like a really nice pilsner or lager. I don't really think i' d want to drink this on a really hot day, it just seems to suck the moisture out of my tongue.

03-03-2011 02:24:04 | More by HOPPYKC