Hop Stoopid - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Hop StoopidHop Stoopid

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: lou91 on 03-07-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Stoopid Alström Bros

4.22/5  rDev +0.7%

From the Lagunitas Brewing Company, in Petaluma, California, this is their Hop Stoopid. The label says 104 IBU, and tells a fun little story about drinking awesome hoppy beer. At 8% alcohol, this is a fairly mild brew compared to some of the more intense beers on the market today.

The pour reveals a nice medium-amber color, with great clarity. The full-finger foam is off-white to cream color, and lingers for several minutes. There are TONS of tiny bubbles rising from the etching on the bottom of my DFH glass. After the foam subsides a bit, I give it a strong swirl and the foam rises again quickly, but subsides with very subtle lacing.

The nose is crisp and clean. I’m getting soft citrus hops, with just a little bit of floral notes. I can’t pick up any hints of malt or alcohol at all. I’m not surprised really, the last time I had this one, I tasted nothing but hops for 12 hours.

Once I take a sip, my memory doesn’t do the Hop Stoopid justice. It starts just slightly hoppy, and more of the floral and citrus-style hops than very bitter. But, the complexity seems to go on forever! Several minutes after taking a sip, I’m still picking up different hops subtleties on different areas of the palatte. The tip of my tongue gets just a little bit of citrusy, grapefruity hops, while the sides of my tongue get the rough and bitter hops, and the back of the tongue is somewhere between the two.

Last time I had this Hop Stoopid by Lagunitas, I was a different type of beer drinker; the hops were almost too much for me to handle. Since then, I’ve described this brew as “just hoppy, nothing sweet, complicated, or intense about it – just lots of hops.” I’m going to retract that description from now on. The Lagunitas Hop Stoopid is hoppy, but far more complex than I had previously given it credit for.

4.93/5  rDev +17.7%

Poured from a 1 pint 6 oz bomber to a pint glass tumbler.

A-Great looking orange color with a 2 finger head that quickly dissipated. Left nice lacing though.

S-Pine & Citrus (grapefruit/lemon) immediately. Inviting!

T-Bitter-sweet hops. Clean lemonade like finish.

M-Juicy, syrupy, delicious!

O-Great DIPA! Awesome piny citrus tastes. It was hard not to just chug the whole glass down at once. Lots of restraint needed. VERY drinkable! Not overly assertive/aggressive for me. Bring on some more!

4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

A: A near perfect golden yellow with a one finger head that lasts for a decent amount of time.

S: Typical of an IPA but not as strong as anticipated.

T: Very hoppy and very bitter. There are undertones of citrus and caramel.

M: The carbonation is very good and the retention is near perfect.

O: Get this beer.

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

Bottle shared by jayhawk73. Thanks Jeff.

Served in my CBS snifter.

The beer appears transparent and orange hued with a thick white head that coats the glass in lacing. The aroma brings some hop, floral, and pine notes, followed by a sweet malt body. The flavor delivers exactly what the aroma promised. Subtle spice adds a nice touch. A bit sweet, but not so much that it becomes cloying. Grapefruit and citrus flavors are quite nice as well. It took me a long time to get around to trying this beer, but I am glad I finally did. Very enjoyable. I look forward to having this again.

4.72/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a tulip glass
A: Faint orange color with a white, foamy, filmy head. Good head retention, however little lacing.

S: Nice, smooth hoppy yet floraly, citrusy, and spicy notes

T: Strong, but not over powering bitter flavor throughout the sip, that lingers just long enough so you know it's a good DIPA. Some sweeter malty flavors mixed in there. Some hints of citrusy flavors as well.

M:Medium body with a dryer finish. Slightly prickly. Long, diminishing hop finish, but not over powering.

O: Very pleased with this "easy to drink" and well-balanced DIPA. Very clean and clear hops, citrusy aromas are inviting and the long, but not overpowering hop flavor create a nice finish and a nice dry mouth feel. I cannot wait to get some more of it and try it side by side with other, good DIPAs.

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

Picked up a bomber at Smiley's in Dover, poured into an oversized wine glass - I'm home for break, why not.

Pours a rich, clear, golden-orange. The head is thin, white, and has a little spotty lacing. Good retention for what it has, though.

Smells very sweet up front - pine, resin. Orange juice or even apple juice, mango. Fruity like other Lagunitas brews. Alcohol. A little spice. Sappy and sweet.

It's good. I'd say this is pretty "well-balanced" between the bitterness and the malty sweetness. With a name like Hop Stoppid I was expecting less malt and or more bitterness. The alcohol pops out a bit on the aftertaste.

I like the carbonation level - it's enough to keep this viscous brew crisp. Leaves a hoppy taste hanging around the mouth. It's a nice beer and I'd like to try it on tap sometime.

"Veeery interesting; but kind of stoopid".

4.18/5  rDev -0.2%

I got Stoopid with a tulip glass.

Appearance- The foam is only a slight layer of white. It is filmy and fizzy with a smooth cap. The transparent body has a steady flow of carbonation columns and is a bronze-orange in color.

My second pour yielded almost two-fingers of the white and foamy bubbles, which led me to bump the score. There is also very good sheet lacing on the side of the glass.

Smell- Hop Stoopid has a nose full of the leafy, green beauties. They are citrus in character, a little sweet, and slightly funky. The profile hints at passion fruit and pineapple. The funk is earthy and a little peppery in nature.

Taste- The front of the drink has a distinct bitterness, but not 100 + IBU bitterness. The first flavors to really develop are the citrus-like flavor hops. There is more grape fruit here and less of the pineapple.

Then the malt joins the fray, which is distinctly sweet, but it does not really try to "smooth" out the drink. Tt just gives a hint of vanilla and biscuit-wheat.

The finish is fairly long and bitter; the passion fruit and grape fruit are still at play, with the malt backing off just a little bit.

Mouth feel- The feel is great for a DIPA: medium bodied, definitely bitter, and a good deal of coating.

Overall- If the palate was a reflection of the nose, it would be an even more outstanding offering. However, somewhere along the line, Hop Stoopid loses some of the potency of the sweet-citrus nose and gets replaced by slightly wheaty and biscuit malt.

The bitterness is certainly here in spades, but I was expecting a more jarring experience from the high IBU's. Definitely have it. I know I would gladly get Stoopid again.

Hop Stoopid from Lagunitas Brewing Company