Hop Stoopid - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Hop StoopidHop Stoopid

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: lou91 on 03-07-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Stoopid Alström Bros
4.65/5  rDev +11%

poured into a thick walled pint glass..beautiful honey color with a clean white head. lacing was as to be expected with a beer of this quality. very nice.

This beer smells incredible. Sweet, lots of pine, fruit but not fruity. citrus. I smell almost no alcohol.

Grapefruit is upfront followed by pine..sweet then malt... quite delicious.

Medium to full bodied. Somewhat slick..plenty of carbonation on this one, but not too much that is interferes with the flavor..works well.

This beer is not underrated..but it is undiscovered. You can't get Pliny easily in Texas and this beer make me not care.

fergbag, Jul 10, 2011
4.28/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured a very nice honey colour with a bright white head, and had excellent lacing throughout the drink. The nose was very complex: big citrus hops, tropical fruit, malt, and pine. The taste was also superb: big grapefruit, juniper, apricot/nectarine, malty sweetness, and a very floral after taste. Delicious beer.

miket163, Jul 05, 2011
4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

A - Pours a golden honey with a two finger off head on a fairly aggressive pour. Head retention is decent and there is a little lacing to be had...

S - Sweet fruity scent with a touch of pine, and a good dose of grassy hops...

T - Lots of sweet malts followed by orange and grapefruit. Ends with a little pine and lots of bittering hops along with some lingering grapefruit. Nice balance between citrus fruits and pine/grassy hops. Abv is well hidden...

M - Medium bodied with a decent amount of carbonation...

O - Not as bitter as I was expecting, but still a very solid brew for the price. Can see myself drinking these on a fairly regular basis...

Cheers...

comfortablynumb1, Jul 04, 2011
4.97/5  rDev +18.6%

Bomber bottled June 6, 2011; Reviewed July 3, 2011

Appearance: A clear amber with a one inch head and a sheet of lacing.

Smell: A strong tropic medley of apricot, mango, grapefruit, orange and pine. Very floral and alive.

Taste: Fantastic tropic citrus flavors: Mango, apricot and more grapefruit. Some malt appears at the end, but only to balance out the strong hop presence.

Mouthfeel: Oily and slick with medium carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: One of my favorite DIPAS, and a hard one to beat for the price (4.49 for the bomber).

Hatzilla, Jul 04, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours a light amber with a thin white head, not much lacing.

Smells wonderful, tons of piney and citrus hops, some grapefruit, cinnamon, and caramel malts.

Almost tastes like root beer upfront, some birch, caramel maltyness, and finishes with an onslaught of citrus, piney, resiny hops. Somewhat medicinal and syrupy, very complex and very delicious. Not overly hoppy, but perfectly balanced by the malt. The alcohol is very well hidden.

One of the best IIPA's I've ever had. Definitely well done and something I will seek out again!

GodOfBeer, Jul 03, 2011
3.98/5  rDev -5%

22oz Bomber poured into a Southern Tier Tulip

A - Textbook DIPA, with a golden orange color and half a finger of offwhite head. Lacing is pretty nice.

S - Like a bitter bowl of fruit salad, classic west coast. Grapefruit and citrus. Like a watered down Pliny.

T - Sweet fruit of front followed by almost a pure grapefruit and orange peel in the middle. Finish is perfect, dry and bitter with a bit of citric essence.

M - Nothing special, but still sold, medium body with some carbonation to help clean that palate.

Overall - A suitable stand-in for pliny, especially when fresh. This bottle was 2 months old and starting to lose some of its umph.

scotvega18, Jun 29, 2011
4.85/5  rDev +15.8%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance is brassy gold tinged with a tangerine hue and topped by a cakelike two finger head. Retention is good and sticky, fluffy lace adorns my glass.

Scent was noticeable immediately upon popping the cap: apricots and floral waft from the bottle. As I raise the glass to my nose tropical fruits and citrus notes appear followed by spicy, earthy notes. Intensely floral. This beer is richly perfumed with hops.

Taste is at first sweet and candied with pineaple and tropical fruits. Then spicy and bitter. Salty and tangy. Orange rind, lime. Bitter and even sour with puckering lemon lime notes - I'd swear there are actually lime rinds in this. Wow. Sticky sweet and salty on the lips yet not at all cloying. Sweetness and fruityness are countered by an intense pithy bitterness along with oily pine resin notes and spiciness. Malts might be there but if so they linger in the doorway too shy to call attention to themselves.

Mouth is slick and juicy.

Drinkability is tremendous. Only a hint of warming belies the abv. Actually quite a refreshing quality; not at all heavy.

I am nuts about citrus hop flavors and Hop Stoopid provides with exuberance. This just became my favorite DIPA.

sethmeister, Jun 25, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +4.5%

A 22 oz. bomber pours a small head and bright yellow gold body. Initially there is a nice scent of vanilla but after it aired out there is a piny, floral and spicy nose.

The taste is awesome. A nice pine, citrus blend. Grapefruit and orange with a pretty sweet back ground. This is ranked pretty bitter on the label, but it is really a pleasant beer to drink. Way too easy to drink actually. The mouth feel is great with carbonation and smoothness all blended into one. I really like this beer. I hope it is available next time I go back to Illinois. This one is on my staple list. I thought I saw it in 6 packs.

daledeee, Jun 22, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

Hop stupid pours a slightly hazed yellow-orange with a quickly settling white head.

Sweet malts and grapefruity notes dominate the initial aromas of this brew. The hop scents linger and evolve into a sticky and resinous sweetness, accompanied by a sharp grainy and carbonic bite.

The citrusy tang of the big American hops initially greet the tastebuds, though not in an overwhelming fashion. The hops and sweet malts combine in a bitter orange flavor. There is a slightly boost finish, though it is not overpowering.

The beer is full-bodied and viscous. A great brew.

MrHassellYaHurd, Jun 19, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Overall a decent IPA. The rich golden color looked good in my glass, as did the head which didn't cling to the glass too much. Got a nice citrus/floral aroma that I rather enjoyed before tasting it. The first taste definitely hit me with almost an orange hint and followed with a nice piney aftertaste which lingered for a bit and was quite pleasant. Not quite as strong as I was expecting but at the same time not too subtle either. It is kind of a nice spot in the middle, definitely an IPA I would buy again and enjoy.

beerdedpunk, Jun 16, 2011
4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

reviewed from notes from 6/9/2011 tasting.

A- Beautiful amber color, crystal clear, creamy carbonation that fades rather quickly, but leaves some lacing.

S- Pine and grapefruit, and little else. Not as strong as previous bottles I have had, but still solid.

T- Amazing balance on this beer where every flavor is pleasant and inviting, but nothing really knocks me out. The grapefruit that lagunitas is known for is there in abundance. The alcohol is very subtle. Caution with this one.

M- Very crisp, refreshing, and pleasant. Love the way this one feels going down...that's what she said.

O- Since surly Abrasive isn't available local, this will be my go-to budget IIPA. Between my brother and I, we are keeping lagunitas in Missouri. I love this beer.

jamespub, Jun 15, 2011
3.48/5  rDev -16.9%

Pours clear orange with single finger of eggshell head. Splotchy lace.

BIG grapefruit aroma with pine, sweet caramel malt underneath.

Lots of tangy orange upfront, caramel in the middle, pine finish. The orange and caramel stick around for a bit, but the piney bitterness lingers a tad longer. A bit sweet for me.

Definitely a fuller bodied and sweeter approach to the style, not to everyone's liking, I'm on the fence about it. A tad lacking in carbonation, as well

Definitely not my favorite DIPA, but hard to beat for the price. A good hoppy beer if you're not too interested in bitterness, and you prefer citrus and caramel to be the dominant flavors, not so much pine or tropical fruits.

MrOH, Jun 14, 2011
3.7/5  rDev -11.7%

Poured from a bomber into a snifter. No bottling date.

Hop stoopid pours an electric yellow color and settles a translucent copper. One finger of a tannish white color. A thin layer of oily legs sticks when swirled. The nose seems faded. Light citrus and pine are shadowed beneath a sweet smelling malt. The taste is a bit better thankfully. Quite bitter upfront with a bit of hops. The malt is caramel malt is sweet and bready. The mouthfeel is crisp and refreshing, medium bodied and smooth. Overall, tasty and drinkable tho having this in the past and enjoying it much more, I think I got an old bottle. This will be revisited for sure.

ChugginOil, Jun 13, 2011
4.72/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A delightfully hoppy experience. The medium froth, the sweet smell, the hopppy bite that resembles biting a pine needle between your front teeth and the smooth finish all combined to make this a wonderfull beer. There is a slight alcohol burn but it does not detract from the overall enjoyment.

NoHipTee, Jun 13, 2011

@Lagunitas pub

A: Golden color. Clear.
S: Flowery and a bit earthy hops.
T: Some nectar sweetness. Flowery hop bitterness. Smooth finish with little tannicness.
M: medium body with hops creating slightly syrupy mouthfeel.
O: Fairly balanced ipa. Little bitterness in finish, which is refreshing.

jibbyvonjibb, Jun 13, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured almost the entire bomber into my Sam Smith pint glass. The appearance is glorious with the beer being a deep amber color but you can see through the glass. The head foams up and settles quickly leaving a thin layer covering the surface. The smell is comparable to a sweet pineapple mixed with a pine tree. The taste is similar and for being 102 I.B.U's this is quite a drinkable ale. As it warms up the melon characteristics are really prominent. Overall this is a fantastic double IPA, so good that I almost drank my stash before getting around to reviewing one.

FatBoyGotSwagger, Jun 08, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +5.7%

OK, I am a malt-head by definition, but I have pretty much exhausted all of the malty beers to review within my general area, so now I am going to the hoppy ones to get more reviews in. I must say that I am glad to see that Lagunitas is putting the fact that they put 102 IBUs in a beer "stoopid" when the Otter Creek beer that I had last night advertised something like 135 IBUs and 11%ABV and it was absolutely horrible! I believe that this hop monster will be much more drinkable, so let's give it a shot.

Appearance: The beer pours a clear yellow golden color with a small 1/4" of fizzy white foam on top that is maintained by lots of bubbles rising, so almost a minute later it is still more than half it's original height. There is some pretty decent lacing left on the glass after drinking.

Aroma: I initially got tons of oily American hops resins in here, but overall the beer doesn't come across as "chalky" indicating to me that the bittering hops are reacting with the water. This is a great sign to me. I don't really get anything but hops in the aroma, but what can I expect from a beer called "hop stoopid"? The aroma is getting more piney as the beer warms.

Taste: Now here is a surprise! Even though the aroma is absolutely oozing with hops, the flavor manages to be somewhat balanced. Don't get me wrong, the hops still dominate the flavor profile completely, but they are not annoying at all! The carbonation is sufficient and it helps make this beer go down easily. The finish is hoppy, and balanced toward the hops, no doubt, but there is enough going on with the malt and the water chemistry to allow it to do its thing without trashing the beer. The burps are like potpourri.

Opinion: I am surprised to report that I have really enjoyed this beer. Not like it will turn me into a hop-head or anything as I wouldn't do this to my palate on a regular basis, but for what this beer is and in the style it is in, I can say that this is one of the best that I have ever had. I like Hercules and such because of the balance, and this beer somehow does the same thing. It doesn't finish malty, but finishes balanced and drinkable. I must say that I am impressed that they are able to "mask" >100 IBUs into a beer that is still palatable. Obviously their final additions of hops are also very liberal due to the obvious oils in the aroma...but this beer pulls it off well. If I were to pick up a DIPA, this would be one of the first on my list. Definitely in my top 10 no doubt.

SkeeterHawk, Jun 08, 2011
3.85/5  rDev -8.1%

22oz Bomber into a Tulip, no freshness date.

A: Rich copper color. Translucent. A finger tall white head that leaves some lacing.

S: Big hop grapefruit. Some lemon, orange. Just some sweet malt detectable.

T: Grapefruit, grass and the bitter bite play together like kids on a play ground. This is a hop bomb, only light caramel is detectable for some attempt at balance and keep things palatable.

M: Medium body, but pretty tacky given a high carbonation level. The bitter doesn't come in on the finish, so it remains relatively drinkable.

O: A bitter double IPA. I like mine with more balance. This is quite nice fresh, if big hop bombs with little to no backbone are your thing.

ncfranklin, Jun 07, 2011
2.58/5  rDev -38.4%

I was amazed to find this at my local liqueur store. I paid $6 for a bomber. As I typically like Lagunitas I gave this a try. I won't be trying it anymore.

A- appeared crisp, nothing fancy
S- Smelled of lots of hops... but I wouldn't say overly hoppy
T- It tasted like my mouth was full of copper pennies. I couldn't finish this bottle
M- Horrible. I regretted every sip.

Overall, not very good. I will stick with the other Lagunitas.

DangQuesadilla, Jun 07, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

22 oz poured into a snifter. Nice head that dissipates fairly quickly. When swirled, it laces nicely and reveals good pine and citrus hop characters in the nose. Tastes like it smells, other than being a tad sweeter on the tongue than the nose. Nice bitterness with no lingering "bad taste". Medium mouth feel with tingly carbonation. I'm having this with a nice salty sausage pizza, and they compliment each other quite well. As a gin drinker, I'm very partial to IPAs, and this one is really good.

jgurley, Jun 06, 2011
2.88/5  rDev -31.3%

A: A bit foamy at first, then a nice lacing...
S: Kind of average for a hoppy-type beer.
T: OK, for an Imperial IPA, kinda weak...and got more maltier, rather than hopier (which one hopes for in a double IPA)
M: Good and typical of the LaGunitas collection.
O: I had higher hopes being a LaGunitas beer. Being a 'fan,' was a little let down 'they' didn't throw down the 'goods' being as it's a double IPA. Bottom line, I'm glad I got a 22.oz instead of a 6 pk.

scootpolute, Jun 05, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

A: deep cloudy orange, golden shimmers, big head, righteous lacing

S: pine, fig, mango, orange rind, malt

T: sweet citrus/fig, firm malt, big long oily/sticky bitter finish

M: med/slightly heavy, enormous sticky/oily mouth, good carbonation balance

O: Lagunitas, how do they do it? Great beer + very reasonable prices. Hope to stop at the brewery
with my wife this summer. Want to gulp this, but must sip.
Truly for hop heads only; newbie may freak on the big bitter
and oily mouth. Most assuredly this is a repeat buy.

SCRUMPTIOUS HOP FEST, MUST TRY!

BeerLover99, Jun 04, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

A-light transparent amber with a lot of frothy cream colored head

S-strong grassy hops. they have a stale or herbal aspect to them. pretty strong scent

T-hits the tongue with a perfect bitterness along with the grassy hops. there is a certain citrus in there as well. the citrus and the bitterness seem to form a long lasting after-taste. i'm very impressed with the quality and flavor of this as well as the balance. this is a good IPA.

M-creamy medium carbonation with a creamy finish

O-this is a great IPA. its possible that for the price per volume, there is no better. its well balanced and drinkable. i can't believe how smooth it is for such a strong flavor. it is actually difficult to put this glass down and to savor it. a bomber will disappear rather quickly.

AdamBear, May 31, 2011
3.85/5  rDev -8.1%

poured straw clear with a really thick soapy head

smells of malt up front with a stong lingering flora citrus smell

the best was something really unique taste and i think it ia from the addition of oranges
the taste is mild malt with a lingering slap of hops finishing off with a orange sweetness

nothing about the feel was annoying or really that harsh to be honest i was expecting more from a 102 ibu beer but i did enjoy is very much

bierguru, May 31, 2011
4.13/5  rDev -1.4%

a: pour is orange and very clear. head lingers a bit then leaves behind a nice skim coat and great lacing left behind.

S;sweet malt and fresh hops bellow out from the glasss. nice. also some tangerine coming through as well.

T:hop is king but-the malt balance is excellent. great flavor - nothing too exotic just refreshing and solid

m: mouth feel is made easy to drink,

O: overall, this is a great offering.old to have finally tried it

beerman207, May 31, 2011