Hop Stoopid - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Hop StoopidHop Stoopid

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: lou91 on 03-07-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Stoopid Alström Bros
Alf7247

3.85/5  rDev -8.1%

Severed in a 22oz snifter.

A- Clear orange/copper. White head that left quickly with a thin layer a thick bubbles.

S- Very hoppy, citrus, grapefruit, and a weird grassy/earthiness. Alcohol well hidden.

T- Hoppy, grapefruit/citrus, that weird grassiness, bitter, nice long hoppy, bitter finish, malts came through later in the finish.

M- Thin, fizzy/light carbonation.

D- Pretty drinkable, even on an empty stomach.

Overall, I really wanted to like this beer because I love super hoppy Double IPA's. Not bad, but there are better out there.

02-27-2010 08:56:29 | More by Alf7247
alysmith4

District of Columbia

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

Closest thing to HopSlam that I've found, besides the Weyerbaucher Simcoe Double IPA. Pours a nice caramel color, with a thick 1" head. Smell is of grapefruit, pine, and perhaps pineapple. Taste is bitter, citrusy, and some definite hops. It's very well-balanced though. The 8% is hidden well, and I'm sure I could throw back a few of these without realizing its strength. Would definitely have this beer again.

02-25-2010 17:23:45 | More by alysmith4
pnkRed

4.22/5  rDev +0.7%

This beer poured a gold color that had hues of red and orange in it. The bubbles were loosely laced, but definitely there and noticeable. The head was foamy and white, and held itself up longer than average. It smelled of piney and citrusy hops. My favorite! It's touted as having 102 I.B.U.4.U. Here it goes. Hop bitterness hits you up front with some fruity malt traveling behind it with a bit more bitterness lingering on the tongue. The alcohol is noticeable, but not obnoxious. The mouthfeel is a bit lighter than average, but that's not always a bad thing

02-24-2010 08:38:03 | More by pnkRed
hckyfn9999

Missouri

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a golden orange color with a nice sized white head. Aroma is full of hops. Citrus, pine, and tropical fruit are all present.

Some toasted malt sweetness is noticeable upfront and that quickly gives way to lots of hop flavor. There is a bit of citrus along with grassy and slightly herbally hops. Plenty of bitterness but not too much. One of my new favorite IIPAs and it is very well priced.

02-24-2010 03:23:08 | More by hckyfn9999
gthornton

3.7/5  rDev -11.7%

A tasty drink, but not my favorite IPA.

A: Beautiful golden/amber/ochre/sun-orange. Very clear, no hazing, full 2 finger head recedes within a few minutes. leaving minimal lacing, but some beautiful trails of head on the surface. A gentle swirl will agitate a new creamy head.

S: What you would expect from a beer of this IBU. Citrus forward grapefruit covering up mild caramel/toffee.

T: Hops! all over the tongue, bitter on the sides, the hop oils linger about halfway through the drink.

M: Smooth, bitter on the tip and sides of the tongue.

D: Very tasty, I want summer to come, and I want a backyard bbq with some ribs...

02-22-2010 19:51:44 | More by gthornton
xanok

3.73/5  rDev -11%

22oz bottle poured into a tulip.

A-Medium gold in color. Brilliantly see through. Two fingers of doughy white head that leaves some ridiculously sticky lacing.

S-Very citrusy in smell. Grapefruit is dominant. A teensy bit of pineapple. Floral hops smell great here too.

T-Hoppy right up front, then seems to mellow out a bit. Citrus fruits take over leading into a bit of malts and earthy flavor. Nice balance.

M-Too carbonated. It's almost like I feel every drop of it going down my throat. Dry taste in the mouth afterward.

D-About what I'd expect from an 8% abv DIPA. Nothing special here. My only issue is the high carbonation. That doesn't take away much from an otherwise very good DIPA

02-22-2010 02:51:36 | More by xanok
HURTemHIZZY

Overall, a solid brew. Was expecting a bit more from each characteristic, as it came highly recommended to me by a friend. Pours a nice amber color, but was expecting a bit more from the head, although it was still not bad at all. Smell was fairly hoppy, as was the taste, but I was expecting a bit more with the 102 ibus. Still a nice brew, just didn't quite reach the level i was expecting it to be.

02-18-2010 16:56:46 | More by HURTemHIZZY
portia99

4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

22oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

A - Pours a brilliantly clear amber gold with a cap of fluffy off white head about a half finger high. Tons of lively carbonation bubbles rise out of the bottom of the glass and serve to maintain the head for an extremely long time. Sticky lacing is left behind as this beer quickly disappears out of my glass.

S - Loaded with citrusy goodness. Tons of grapefruit here. In addition, a good amount of pine and rounded out by pineapple. Just a little bit of malt shows thru - a touch sweet in a sugary way and the faintest bit of caramel.

T - Firmly bitter with lots of hop flavor up front. Pineapple and pine are the dominant flavors in this, although grapefruit and some tropical flavors make a strong showing too. Nice, slightly sweet, caramel malt backbone. Alcohol flavors are not overpowering, but certainly contribute to the overall flavors.

M - Body is on the thin side of medium bodied. Carbonation is ample, filling the mouth with prickly bubbles and a slight foamy feeling. Resiny hop oils seems to hit every corner of the mouth...feel like I'm inhaling evaporated hop oils and alcohol as I breath in...I think this is clearing my sinuses too.

D - Over the long haul probably a bit high on the carbonation...give a bit of a bloated feeling. Think I could by burping this all night long...alcohol is on the high side too to be really sessionable, but it tastes so good, I'd be willing to give this a try. I've had this a number of times and every time it is enjoyable...a fresh Hop Stoopid is right up there with the best of them.

02-17-2010 23:34:32 | More by portia99
hardy008

4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

Light amber color with a 2 finger white head. Decent retention on the head, it clings nicely to the side of the glass. The smell is grapefruit, orange, and pineapple. No malt aroma present. The flavor is much like the smell, with grapefruit, orange, and pineapple. I can also taste mango and a pine flavor which I did not initially pick up in the aroma, thanks to the cold I have.

Medium bodied, sweet and bitter, with a slightly oily mouthfeel. Medium carbonation. Nice drinkability, and a good bargain. One of the better values on the craft beer market.

02-17-2010 03:27:05 | More by hardy008
BearsOnAcid

3.45/5  rDev -17.7%

Hop Stoopid perfectly clear and has a golden amber color. A creamy head sits on top and leaves a white film as it reduces.

The aroma has a good amount of dry hopping. Smells like amarillo. It's sweet and floral.

The taste is clean and smooth for a DIPA. Even for one clocking in at 8%. There's some earthy tasting bitterness and grapefruit when I swish it around. It's a little sweet and is thicker than I would like.

I like that there isn't an astringent bitterness that lingers after. But, IMO, I think Hop Stoopid can benefit greatly from a little Simcoe in the dry hopping, if there isn't already some, and a thinner mouthfeel.

02-15-2010 23:17:53 | More by BearsOnAcid
hophead247

Pours a clear golden with a white head falling off to a delicate lace. Aroma is citrus, pine, fresh hops very in your face hops, awesome! Flavor is super hoppy up front pine citrus with a nice balance of malty sweetness and a huge hoppy bitter finish. Awesome brew.

02-15-2010 06:33:23 | More by hophead247
jrallen34

3.85/5  rDev -8.1%

I drank this from a 22oz bottle into an Orval glass.

The beer pours a light clear gold with a light white head, not much retention or lacing.

The aroma is very hoppy and bitter, lots of pine but balanced pretty nicely with a little citrus.

The taste is much lighter on the bitter than the aroma would indicate. Thought it was going to be very piney. This lightness made it a lot more drinkable than I thought.

Overall, it was pretty good, nothing special.

02-14-2010 23:09:22 | More by jrallen34
AgentZero

3.38/5  rDev -19.3%

A - Golden to slightly brownish with a one finger head that dissipated leaving the sides of the glass clean.

S - A strong, but somehow mellow piney hop smell. I expected some citrus from this as well but it is not so. Some roasted malt backbone comes in faintly on the end of this, kind of interesting.

T - Pine notes are quite strong, but it actually mellows nicely on the end to something that I can't quite identify. Slightly woody finish.

M - Subtle carbonation gives this one a little bit of a bite, especially if you wait for a while between drinks.

D - Too piney for me to drink a lot of, but not to heavy, Could do more than one, but would switch to something else if given more options.

02-14-2010 21:45:17 | More by AgentZero
Imsothirsty

4.15/5  rDev -1%

Clear darker amber color. Moderate low white head.

Smell is fabulous for me floral, and grassy hops.

Strong hops flavor right off the bat. Piney slightly dry, a little bit bitter, doesn't really seem like the 120 IBU's advertised though. Seems like it is missing out on a citrus hop flavors.

As for mouthfeel, the carbonation element is good, but it has some kinda of oily thing going on, that makes it less enjoyable.

Overall definitely a solid IPA, not my favorite, but I will probably sample it again.

02-14-2010 01:54:59 | More by Imsothirsty
MrDanno96

3.68/5  rDev -12.2%

A: Pours a nice clear golden yellow with several fingers of fluffy head. Most of the head dissipated after about 5 minutes, leaving lots of sticky lacing on the sides of the glass.

S: Some earthy hops mixed with a ton of pineapple and grapefruit. This could actually be mistaken for juice if you couldn't see it and were just getting a whiff.

T: A little citric sweetness up front quickly gives way to a lot of bitter hops. Grain and a little pine are also detectable. I like my DIPAs a little sweeter than this. However, I know there's plenty of people that love the bitter, tongue ripping beers too. I would say this is a little closer to the latter.

M: Medium body with a lot of carbonation bite.

D: Not bad, but there's many other DIPAs I'd rather have. I think Ruination is only slightly more expensive than this and (IMHO) much better. I'm not really averse to the strong bitter hop finish in this brew, I just think it lacks enough fruity sweetness to balance it out.

02-13-2010 05:50:33 | More by MrDanno96
WhiteOak

3.3/5  rDev -21.2%

Lagunitas Hop Stoopid Ale

A- Bright honey yellow. Thick rocky head.

S- Strong Pine, Fir bud resin, and grapefruit hops aroma.

T- Astringent, bitter, pineapple hops dominate the attack, with a pleasant, slightly sweet. medium-bodied malt and Ruby Red grapefruit on the mid-palate. A nearly endless bitter finish.

M, D- For fans of an IPA with a solid shot of additional bitterness, this is a good one at a bargain price. Good, but the tongue-stomping bitterness did not compel me to want to repeat it. Easily drinkable, but some bitterness fatigue may occur. This was tasted along side the Dugana, and at half the price, it showed rather well, but could use a bit more balance.

02-13-2010 00:11:49 | More by WhiteOak
cdizinno

South Carolina

4.9/5  rDev +16.9%

Presentation: Poured from a bottle similar to that pictured, with the exception of
102 I.B.U.4 U. at the top of a squared off label instead of rounded style as pictured. My label says nothing of 'farmhouse style', but the picture says it all if you read on.

A: Slightly orange, clear golden color. Close to honey color. White head and moderate lacing due to first slow pour.

S: Nice floral straw scent, probably bottled from the picture on the front label. Some sweetness, pine, and citrus scents.

T&M: Smooth, bitter hops up front that fades to a nice pleasant sweetness mixed in with an EARTHY hop taste. Very clean and crisp taste. Some pine hop flavors are mixed in there too. Medium bodied with a dry finish.

Overall a great IPA. For the price this is definitely a great premium IPA that has a unique balanced flavor.

02-12-2010 21:42:47 | More by cdizinno
Morey

4.05/5  rDev -3.3%

Hop Stoopid pours a slightly hazy orangish-yellow color. Nice two finger head following a medium pour and it's taking a while to settle. Good mix of small and large bubbles in the head which is clinging to the glass everwhere that it touches.

The aroma is not as intense as one might think....it's rather clean with grassy hops being the most detectable.

I was expecting the hop flavor to floor me, but this beer is easy drinking! The hop flavor is more of a fresh hop flavor and it barely lingers on the palate at all.

Mouthfeel has a medium body with an initial bite from the carbonation and hops, but it actually finishes pretty smooth and mellow for a DIPA.

I could drink this beer as a session if it weren't for the ABV.

Morey's Bottom Line: Not quite the intense beer that I was anticipating, but it's very tasty none the less. Some people might be disappointed if you're looking for a complete hop bomb, but this is a good unfiltered tasting Double Ipa.

02-11-2010 20:00:40 | More by Morey
rwf08

4.58/5  rDev +9.3%

22oz Bomber in a big ol' mug. No freshness date but I assume it's fresh enough since it wasn't at the store yesterday when I went by.

A: Amber honey color. Tight head on the edge and nice lacing. No foamy head due to my slow pour.

S: Smell of sweet honey, some pine and citrus.

T: Very clean taste. The hop bitterness is up front but fades and leaves the palate dry. Some sweetness mixes with the piney hop flavor.

M: Thin body, some hop resin coats the tongue and then it is dry.

D: Easy drinking for the ABV and IBUs. I could have a few bombers over the night.

Overall a good IPA. Lots of hops and good dry body. I feel it is very true to style and would go great with spicy fish tacos, or spicy tuna rolls.

02-11-2010 05:44:56 | More by rwf08
Arenbeer

4.6/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured out of a the Lagunitas bomber into a standard pint glass.

A- Clear golden honey yellow with a extremely bubbly white 2 finger head. I have never seen such large bubbles in a head before haha. Left a good amount of lacing as it went down.

S- This is probably on of the best smelling beers i've come across. Real strong floral and earthy hops with a sweet fruity backround.

T- Real strong bitter flavorful hops with a touch of grapefruit, manderin orange?, and other tropical fruits. Smelt like a fruit cup haha.

M- Medium light body that's bitter up front with a decent amount of carbonation but not enough to make it brutal. For a beer with 102 IBU I would have thought id be worse but this beer is highly drinkable. I could easily get another bomber down.

Great I.I.P.A definitely gonna get again real soon. Great job Lagunitas

Skål!

02-11-2010 02:32:17 | More by Arenbeer
cooncat

4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured at fridge temps into a std. pint glass. A vigorous pour yielded an apricot/orange colored brew ... looks like a pale ale color-wise. The head is really quite nice ... rich, creamy and full. Its sort of an eggshell white and has decent retention, especially for an 8% brew. Lacing is excellent .. just painted on the glass.

Nose is pretty pungeant with hops. Trying to figure what they are, but cannot put a finger on it. Certainly grapefruit and other citris notes, but also a good amount of pine.

Taste is fairly well balanced for a DIPA. Up front are the aforementioned citrus and pine hop notes in spades. Perhaps a little pineapple in there to boot. Just enough malty sweetness to keep it from being mouth puckering. Its a bready type of malt sweetness, which works pretty well with the hop flavors. Mouthfeel is medium-full to full ... again pretty big. This is a very drinkable beer for a DIPA. Its not insanely (or Stoopidly) hopped, so its quite drinkable. Not sayin' its a session beer by any means, but I could quaff a few of these in a session, the same way I'd have no problem with, say, a 90 Minute. This has a MUCH bigger hop profile than 90 Minute, and just now getting some good hop burps to let me know I'm getting my dose of humulus lupulin.

Nice job on this one, Lagunitas. I must say that I've not been that impressed with many of the Lagunitas brews I've tried, but this one hits the target ... maybe not the bullseye, but in one of the inner rings. Recommended to hop-heads everywhere.

Na Zdravje!

02-10-2010 22:59:19 | More by cooncat
hwwty4

Missouri

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured a double deuce into my New Belgium globe. So start the Super Bowl of Lagunitas bombers. This beer pours a clear, bright copper with a bushy white head that leaves massive creamy circles all the way down the glass. I don't know what it is about a well-made DIPA's being the most attractive beer style. It seems like it is very rare to see a DIPA look like crap. The aroma is citrus mixed with a little pine and just a hint of pale malts. Definite notes of grapefruit pith, lemon, tangerines and freshly cut pine trees. The flavor is extremely one sided. Hops, hops and more hops. Big grapefruit, pineapple, orange rind, and just a bit of mango. There is just a hint of biscuity sweetness coming through on the middle of flavor profile. Hop Stoopid finishes with a sharp hop bitterness leaving the palate screaming for another sip. The mouthfeel is a bit lighter then I had expected with a very light carbonation. To me, I think this is the best beer for the money. A double deuce of a 8% Double IPA for $3.99! You really can't beat that deal and for that price, I'll always have one sitting in my fridge.

02-07-2010 23:54:46 | More by hwwty4
helloglob

Oregon

4.45/5  rDev +6.2%

Got this recently, it's been recommended by friends multiple times. (i'm new to beer as well as new to reviewing fyi)

A: pours a light amber. minimal, creamy white foam on the rim

S: smells like beer! as the name suggests, the hoppiness is very apparent, along with some hints of citrusy fruits. the smell is very subtle compared to the taste.

T: Nice bite, lots of flavors goin on in it; definitely picking up a grapefruit vibe - and this has to do with the bite. after a second or so, there's a rush of hoppy bitterness - it's great.

M: creamy, nice amount of carbonation - not overdone.

D: well, i wouldn't plan on playing beer pong with it, but it's got a very distinct and pleasing drinkability.

This is great beer, i'm really enjoying it so far.

02-07-2010 06:16:15 | More by helloglob
Reaper16

Alabama

3.9/5  rDev -6.9%

22oz. bottle served into a Sierra Nevada nucleation pint glass

Pours a very translucent amber. This thing is as see-through as a pilsner! One would think that a 102 IBU double IPA would be hazy with hop material. It isn't until I read the tiny text on the label that I find out the beer is made with lots of hop extracts and not copious amounts of whole cone hops. Medium-sized bubbles form a two finger off-white head. The lacing is notchy and spidery and bumps the score to a 4.0.

I smell lots of pine and resin along with a fair amount of syrupy malt. There is essentially no grapefruit or tropical fruit going on. It smells like it is probably past its prime in terms of age.

The flavors basically match the aroma only they are perceived more strongly on the tongue. The oily, pine flavors coat the tongue, leaving a bitterness that is subdued but imbued with flavor. The malt makes itself known on the aftertaste though it isn't a buzzkill for the hophead or anything. Many people have opined that Hop Stoopid is like Pliny the Elder, and I have to agree. PtE is in an entirely different league, but Hop Stoopid does approximate it somewhat. I shall call it "Pliny the Ancient" because Hop Stoopid truly tastes like an old bottle of PtE.

I like the mouthfeel because I like my double IPAs to be thin in the mouth. This has the hop juice mouthfeel I so treasure but the noticeable malt flavors don't lend themselves quite as well to the thin feel, tempering the score just a bit. The drinkability is quite nice, taking into account the mouthfeel and the drying, bitter nature of the aftertaste. Its only 8% and the bomber goes down fast.

This is no PtE competitor. It is, however, a very nice beer for the price. $3.99 for 22oz. is tremendous value, especially when this beer is fresh. Worth a buy.

02-07-2010 04:12:56 | More by Reaper16
ocmpoma

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

A- pours out a rich, golden auburn; quite opaque. Not much head in the tulip after a slow pour. A thin film remains after it settles.

S- citrus and bitterness. Deeply inviting, classic double IPA aroma.

T- Delicious. Bitter and fruity, with lovely musty orange and lemon tones. Very hop-forward.

M- Light and almost delicate mouthfeel, crisp with low carbonation. A bit overpowered by the hops perhaps, but pretty good.

D- Overall, the hop bitterness detracts slightly from the drinkability, since it is not quite balanced enough by the citrus or mouthfeel. Then again, this is a double IPA. A great beer.

02-05-2010 02:34:51 | More by ocmpoma