Hop Stoopid - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Hop StoopidHop Stoopid

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: lou91 on 03-07-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Stoopid Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a snifter glass, no freshness date.

This pours a nice copper color with a minimal white head which quickly dissipates away but leaves a nice lacing. The smell is wonderful, full of citrus hops, I get a wave of grapefruit, a little alcohol, a little floral and a hit of caramel malts, I'm looking forward to this one. Feel is medium to light with nice carbonation and pine resin. The initial taste is bitter hops and with a sweet caramel malt, on the way down I get a wave of pine hops, some malty sweetness, a little alcohol warmth followed by a nice grapefruit bitter lingering after flavor. Overall a very nice IIPA, it has the sweetness but it the high IBU makes up for that and you're left with plenty of hoppy goodness, this is a very nice IIPA, one of the better ones I've tried, this is way better than the Maximus, I wish I could find this in 6 packs, I'd get it far more frequent.

4.58/5  rDev +9.3%

I love a brewery that doesn’t take itself too seriously. The name itself, Hop Stoopid, and the “102 I.B.U. 4 U.” that is emblazoned at the top of the label are refreshing bits of levity. The beer itself, on the other hand, seems to be very seriously brewed. At least that’s what I’m getting from the people on this website; there seem to be a lot of Lagunitas supporters. Being from Indiana, I wouldn’t know about this brewery’s supposedly glorious creations – I’m just lucky enough to have gotten my hands on this one when I could. Anyway, I just poured it, and I can smell the hops from here. I’m not waiting any longer for this one…

A: This has got to be one of the most beautiful DIPA’s I’ve seen to date. The first thing that sticks out to me is the head: it’s as a thick as the cream in a root beer float. The lacing is gorgeous; the most I’ve seen in a while. Gold and amber mix with a copious amount of shine, and that, coupled with a very slight bubble stream, make this a very inviting body. I wish every brewer paid this much attention to the less important details, like the look, because it’s certainly showing Lagunitas in a great light before I even take a sip.

S: Couldn’t wait to get my nose in this one, and, after my first whiffs, I am not disappointed! Brazen hops lash forward, entering with a floral, slightly earthy hit. It’s fresh, organic, and just plain fantastic. The malty undercurrent rises with a great caramel syrupiness. Perfect, mouthwatering fruit scents mix well with the malts; it’s like freshly baked cinnamon apples. Wow.

T: A great barnyard freshness comes out first, showcasing the true taste of an IPA. Excellent transition into the smooth malts of the body, where the emphasis is big syrups and roasted notes – I’m getting marzipan, candied fruits, and honey, mostly. Rich and creamy, they hit you with a sugary blast but don’t overwhelm you with a whole lot of lingering sweet tones. That may be because the hops come in so forcefully that they diminish the residual sugars; the bitter is powerful, though it never goes over the top. For being 102 I.B.U.’s, it’s remarkably well balanced. The aftertaste consists mostly of bitters, but it’s not exceedingly dry; it’s as if the hops are more crisp than anything. Maybe that’s one of the differences when using hop extracts vs. whole hops. Either way, it lingers for quite a while. A fitting end for a beer with such big back-end hops.

M: This one is quite thick on the tongue, playing quite well on the fruit syrups tasted earlier. A slight bubbly hint every now and again reminds of (but does not embellish) the super-hopped bits of the palate. It doesn’t detract from the taste, but it doesn’t add a whole lot.

O: Beer like this doesn’t come around very often. With every sip, I’m reminded of that perfect DIPA, Pliny the Elder, more and more. The balance and complexity that I get from this beer makes me proud to be a craft drinker in this country – only in America will you see a brewer go so deep with hop extract. An admirable offering from Lagunitas, and quite possibly the world’s best hop-forward beer made with extracts.

4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

22oz bomber (no date) poured into a snifter.

Appearance: Clear golden-orange beer. Poured a light tan 1/4" head that was light and fluffy, which died down to a thin ring at the edge and some across the top. Strands and islands of persistent lacing noted all over the glass.

Smell: Mango, faint pine, citrus (grapefruit and orange). Some nice sweet malt at the back on a deep inhale. Nicely aromatic and appealing.

Taste: With a name like Hop Stoopid I was expecting a bitter wallop and I don't get that at all. Instead, mango and citrus hops up front, a nice middle malt backbone (sweet - caramel and sugary) and then a bitter pine-like finish at the end which lingers a bit. Quite nice and a very tasty beer.

Mouthfeel: Very little carbonation on the tongue, but that's okay, too much and it would get in the way of all the flavors going on here. Smooth with a good thickness. Very little hop oil sticking to the teeth with this one.

Overall / Drinkability: A very tasty brew - and dangerous. The ABV is well hidden and I could easily see myself having another glass. If this is what hop extracts can yield in a DIPA, I think I like the extracts quite a bit. I can drink it by itself, and I could have it with a meal - but in this case I think the beer clashed a bit with the meal. I know some swear that spices and hops go together, but in the case of red beans and rice spiced up with Frank's hot sauce, it did not go well together. Oh well - not every beer pairing can go well. Still, a good beer and I can see why this beer is as highly rated as it is. Not just for hopheads - although the more hoppy you like your beer the more you'll like this beer.

2.8/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Displays a brillant sunset of color on the pour; everything from pale lemon to burnished, ripe peach is represented. Head is big, foamy, clumsy. Charming.

Aroma is thick and sweet, gobs of Golden Syrup and honey, tinned mandarin orange (including the can), stewed papaya, and fresh fig. No raw hop smell here -- this has been cooked and mingled, like a marmalade. Wish it didn't have that metallic note.

Taste is loaded up with booze and more cooked fruit. The papaya is outfront. No grass or green flavors whatsoever; it tastes almost rehydrated. Somewhere in there is a whisper of basil. Big cracking ribbons of tin can come flailing back on the swallow. After tasting it, I notice the label says this is made entirely with hop extracts. Maybe that's the culprit?

Mouthfeel is there, but pretty low. If you're going to make a beer this jammy, it's going to need more carbonation.

Overall, this is a largely unpleasant beer; the whole point of IPAs is to embrace the glory of the hop, the fleeting freshness that each batch provides. As, say, a California Old Ale, this would be passable. If you socked away a bottle or two of this for five years and forgot about it, I'd be fascinated to see what would happen; would the flavors round out? Would the booziness fade? Would that danged metallic flavor ever leave? I'm not going to test this hypothesis, mind you, but if anyone out there feels like doing so, knock yourself out.

The worst Double/Imperial IPA I've ever had? No. Not even close. But not pleasant, either.

4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

Nice dark golden color and exceptional aroma...hops and a lot of subtle floral and piney notes. The smell and the somewhat creamy mouthfeel are really the best aspects of this beer. The taste is quite good but the bitterness dominates to a degree, overpowering the other more delicate flavors here. Finish is a bit long for my taste, but hopheads may find it to be just what the doctor ordered. Drinkability somewhat compromised by the high ABV...whaddaya want, it's a DIPA.

Good beer but not my favorite of the style. I prefer a little bit more balance in the palate w/o so much bitterness but others may not mind quite as much. I really like to taste what I"m smelling though!

3.68/5  rDev -12.2%

Purchased as a 22oz from Wine and Beer Westpark - DFH snifter

Pours a nice gold color with good head, easy to agitate. Smells nice and hoppy but not overwhelming. Smells to ME like centennial however I really don't know hops that well enough to really say.. Taste follows and it's nice and bitter on the back end. Mouthfeel is a bit harsh to be honest considering it's only 8%. I've had 10% DIPAs that were smoother.

This is a great beer, would buy again however if given the choice of some other DIPAs this would fall on the list a bit.

3.78/5  rDev -9.8%

Tulip glass. Can't find a bottling date.

Pours a medium amber, a finger of stone colored foam, decent retention and minimal lacing. Smells is big caramel and toffee malt up front, some grass and earth and spice, with some tropical fruit (mango) and apple in the background. Lots of caramel and malt and pine come through on the palate, some secondary tropical fruit, mild bitterness but pretty juicy on the finish. Carbonation is medium with a nice bite, body is medium and somewhat sticky. I have to say, this goes down easy. Overall, this is a good IPA, leaning heavily towards the malty side, that I wouldn't mind drinking regularly.

4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured into a tall pilsner glass. Relatively light head, but it sticks around for ever! Pours a relatively dark apricot color.

Smells somewhat sweet, spicy, with heavy hop aroma. I almost sense some fruitcake in there, but mostly it is hops, hops, and more hops...piney and a bit citrusy. Bitter, resinous stick to your tongue hops hit you on the first taste, refreshing and I want more. Fairly well balanced, considering. A nice thickish mouthfeel. I think this is a quite well-balanced beer that I enjoy a great deal.

4.22/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured into a tulip.

A - Golden apricot color with a thick head that leaves a slight bubbly film. There's a good amount of lace left behind on my glass once I'm done.

S - Great DIPA nose. There's tons of hops and a really nice fruity/pineapple/mango mix in there too.

T - Good, but not mind blowing. There's a lot of hop flavor there, but it's lacking something. I'm not saying by any means that this isn't a good beer, rather, it's just on the edge of being an awesome beer.

M - Hop Stoopid goes down really easy. Very smooth, drinkable beer, especially for 8%.

O - Overall, this is a great DIPA. While it's not necessarily in my top 3 or 5 for the style, this is a very affordable (around $4.99 for a bomber where I live) and widely available beer. Very easy go-to DIPA when there's nothing else available or you don't want to break the bank on a more expensive bomber IMHO.

4.45/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Belmont Station in Portland Oregon.

A: 1" soapy cream coloured head over amber liquid with excellent clarity.

S: Floral hops, pepper and yeast.

T: Malt, honey, citrus, pepper, and floral hops. Very nice taste, and while drinking I thought the perfect food combination for this beer would be a peppered gouda.

M: Medium level of fine carbonation.

O: A very nice Imperial IPA. What really stands out to me is the taste, and I plan on picking this up any chance I get.

4.28/5  rDev +2.1%

22oz bottle poured into a Pint glass.

A - Pours a bright clear orange with a thin tan head, that quickly fades to the edges.

S - Mostly pine and grass, some citrus floral tones.

T - Grass and tangerines.

D - Medium carbonation - slight bitter finish.

O - West Coast IPA all the way.

3.98/5  rDev -5%

Appearance- Golden amber in color. A 1/4 inch head that sticks with all the way down. Nice lacing.

Smell- Lots of piney and citus

Taste/Mouthfeel- Piney hops upfront that flows smoothly into a citus creaminess. Perfect carbintation level for me. A good bitterness at the end

Overall- I really like this one. One of the better beers in the DIPA catagory and at the price its a must have, over and over again.

4.63/5  rDev +10.5%

Wow, what a hop smack. Poured lively into my glass and watched the head quickly rise to about two fingers. Mucho lacing down the glass, as should be. Smell is huge pine, grass and citrus. The first taste sends waves through my taste buds, and an amazement through my brain from the intense hop bitterness. No exageration, I could still taste the bitterness 10-15 minutes after my glass was empty. Mouthfeel was very good, a toal immersion into the Imperial IPA world. Love it, and will be back again, and again.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a fantastic double IPA. Golden-orange color. Deep piney aroma. wonderful. Taste is superb. Slightly sweet, big malt flavors with a ton of pine.

I've been drinking this for several years now and, by far, this is the best bargain you can get in the double IPA segment. I'll put this up against anything, pliny, maharaja, etc. and it will hold up nicely. Best of all, I can get this for 4.50 per bomber. Love it.

3.53/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours a bright, hazy orange with 1.5 finger head that dissipates quickly.

S - Lots of piney hops on the nose, some notes of sweet, citrusy fruit, and even a bit of burn from the alcohol

T - Again, lots of those earthy hops, a little bit of sweetness comes through on the taste, but it's mostly a lot of hop forwardness with a tinge of burn from the alcohol.

M - Moderate thickness, goes down smooth, even for the amount of alcohol in this one.

Overall - A decent DIPA, not outstanding by any means, but Lagunitas does a decent job of capturing the style.

Was a little put off by the name but finally tried it. I have had Pliny often and regularly and my first thought when tasting this was 'wow this tastes like pliny'. As I savored the bomber I only became more and more impressed. This shit is a rival to the best of the American iipas. Hops, smoothness, sweet malt, abv are all where they should be.

4.83/5  rDev +15.3%

This is a fantastic imperial ipa. When fresh I easily put it up there with any I've ever had.The smell is a citrus/pine blast. The taste is perfectly balanced with grapefruit, pine, a little resin, a slight hint of carmel and a dry bitter finish. Sooo good. I had the honor of having this on draft at a perfect temperature (a little warmer than most) at toronado a few months back and was blown away. In my opinion every bit as good as pliny. I love this beer.

4.45/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle date: 15798910; June 6, 2011

A: Pours a honey ale with less than a single finger of off-white loose foam which falls quickly to a sheet of the same. Spotty lacing. Brilliant clarity.

S: Lemon, grapefruit, bubblegum, sweet malts, hints of pine and rose. This beer actually quite reminds me of Pliny. The malts are sweet and subdued and make an excellent canvas for the amalgamation of hop application here. There is only a hint of resin, but the major aspect of the nose is a pretty blend of sweet and citrusy hops with just a hint of hay.

T: Oh yeah, this is good. Sweet, bitter, hoppy. See my description of the nose? Good, refer to that. There is a hint of alcohol heat. The bitterness is well balanced with the malts and flavoring hops. The finish is long and highlights the floral aspects of the beer.

M: Medium body with lower carbonation. The finish is slick and resonating - nearly velvety. Spot on for this beer.

O: Wow, I've had this many times, but it's been a couple years since last time. I got lucky this one was so fresh. This beer is fantastic and IMO can be placed in the same flavor profile as Pliny the Elder and Alpine's Duet. Really a nice beer.

4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

This is a great hoppy beer. Intense aromas as soon as you start to pour into the glass. Aroma is more piney and woody than citrusy, but has a subtle sweet undertone to it. Pours a beautiful almost bourbon color, very clean thanks to the use of hop extracts. The bitterness of the first sip will certainly wake you and your tastebuds up. That bitterness is profound and lingering, but not overpowering or uncomfortable. There is a subtle sweetness that comes through mid-mouth to help balance out the intensity. The hoppy, bitter flavors linger nicely on the tongue and back of the mouth, allowing you to enjoy this beer over an extended period of time.

4.65/5  rDev +11%

poured into a thick walled pint glass..beautiful honey color with a clean white head. lacing was as to be expected with a beer of this quality. very nice.

This beer smells incredible. Sweet, lots of pine, fruit but not fruity. citrus. I smell almost no alcohol.

Grapefruit is upfront followed by pine..sweet then malt... quite delicious.

Medium to full bodied. Somewhat slick..plenty of carbonation on this one, but not too much that is interferes with the flavor..works well.

This beer is not underrated..but it is undiscovered. You can't get Pliny easily in Texas and this beer make me not care.

4.28/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured a very nice honey colour with a bright white head, and had excellent lacing throughout the drink. The nose was very complex: big citrus hops, tropical fruit, malt, and pine. The taste was also superb: big grapefruit, juniper, apricot/nectarine, malty sweetness, and a very floral after taste. Delicious beer.

4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

A - Pours a golden honey with a two finger off head on a fairly aggressive pour. Head retention is decent and there is a little lacing to be had...

S - Sweet fruity scent with a touch of pine, and a good dose of grassy hops...

T - Lots of sweet malts followed by orange and grapefruit. Ends with a little pine and lots of bittering hops along with some lingering grapefruit. Nice balance between citrus fruits and pine/grassy hops. Abv is well hidden...

M - Medium bodied with a decent amount of carbonation...

O - Not as bitter as I was expecting, but still a very solid brew for the price. Can see myself drinking these on a fairly regular basis...

Cheers...

4.97/5  rDev +18.6%

Bomber bottled June 6, 2011; Reviewed July 3, 2011

Appearance: A clear amber with a one inch head and a sheet of lacing.

Smell: A strong tropic medley of apricot, mango, grapefruit, orange and pine. Very floral and alive.

Taste: Fantastic tropic citrus flavors: Mango, apricot and more grapefruit. Some malt appears at the end, but only to balance out the strong hop presence.

Mouthfeel: Oily and slick with medium carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: One of my favorite DIPAS, and a hard one to beat for the price (4.49 for the bomber).

4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours a light amber with a thin white head, not much lacing.

Smells wonderful, tons of piney and citrus hops, some grapefruit, cinnamon, and caramel malts.

Almost tastes like root beer upfront, some birch, caramel maltyness, and finishes with an onslaught of citrus, piney, resiny hops. Somewhat medicinal and syrupy, very complex and very delicious. Not overly hoppy, but perfectly balanced by the malt. The alcohol is very well hidden.

One of the best IIPA's I've ever had. Definitely well done and something I will seek out again!

3.98/5  rDev -5%

22oz Bomber poured into a Southern Tier Tulip

A - Textbook DIPA, with a golden orange color and half a finger of offwhite head. Lacing is pretty nice.

S - Like a bitter bowl of fruit salad, classic west coast. Grapefruit and citrus. Like a watered down Pliny.

T - Sweet fruit of front followed by almost a pure grapefruit and orange peel in the middle. Finish is perfect, dry and bitter with a bit of citric essence.

M - Nothing special, but still sold, medium body with some carbonation to help clean that palate.

Overall - A suitable stand-in for pliny, especially when fresh. This bottle was 2 months old and starting to lose some of its umph.

Hop Stoopid from Lagunitas Brewing Company