Hop Stoopid - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Hop StoopidHop Stoopid

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: lou91 on 03-07-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Stoopid Alström Bros
4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured lemony [slightly orange] color, with 2 finger white head, that left wonderful lacing down the glass.

Aroma is huge citrus, floral hops, and just a minor carmel sweetness thats hardly worth mentioning.

Taste is just a mouthful of wonderful hop flavor with just a little bitterness in the end, really expected more biting bitterness, but glad its not there really. The bitterness does linger for a while however. And the carmel sweetness is just barley there to balance it out, as much as a DIPA can be balanced in that regard, usually DIPAs have a hugh malty, caramel sweetness, but im glad this one is missing that.

Mouthfeel is pretty thin for a DIPA actually, but its not so thin as to be detracting really.

Overall this is a good beer, dont think I would have ever guessed it was 102 IBUs and 8% ABV.

webbcreative, Jan 16, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -9.8%

I had been thinking about picking up this beer for a while and had always passed, but tonight it was time to give it a try. Brew poured to a nice golden color with what I perceive as red highlights. Good sized white head that had good retention and lacing. The aroma is fantastic; the hop aroma is simply fantastic with the citrus smell that highlights grapefruit. That hop mixes well with the sweet malt aroma, very inviting! The flavor, while good, does not live up to my expectations based on the nose. The hop flavor dominates with some very nice fruit like flavors, orange and grapefruit mostly, though I really thought they would linger longer on the back of the tongue. The malt is there but in my opinion it gives off too much of a sweet flavor, a little to much of a coying toffee flavor. Now I had not realized that this was a DIPA, it just did not feel like one as it seemed to be a little thin, I only realized it when I was looking here. Overall a fair brew at a good price point, I would get this one again mostly due to the nose.

Stimack, Jan 16, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +8.6%

Pours a clear, copper color. One inch head of a white color. Good retention and great lacing. Smells of hops, sweet malt, citrus, and slight herb. Fits the style of an American Double/ Imperial IPA. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp with an average carbonation level. Tastes of hops, sweet malt, slight citrus, slight herb, slight grass, and slight caramel. Overall, a strong body and good blend. The flavors were individually strong and yet still well blended together.

Tone, Jan 15, 2010
4.48/5  rDev +6.9%

Had a pint glass of this from the bottle.

A-off white head (spongy), yellow brown body.

S-herbal, floral hop front.

T-tangerines, some bitterness, juicy but all well balanced by malt

M-medium

D-very well balanced for a double, not too aggressive as the name implies. a great beer to get someone you love hooked on hops.

jneiswender, Jan 11, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

A - Nice golden color with good head retention. On the lower side of the SRM scale for an IPA.

S - AROMA IS AWESOME. Citrus power to the max!!

T - Citrusy, spicy flavors. I actually get a slight malty profile in the flavor as an aftertaste which is a nice balance. I love the citrus though.

M - medium body most definately. good carbonation levels and not too high of a FG.

D - I had this one with pizza and fried pickles and it went well. I know you aren't supposed to have beer with spicy foods and be able to review it well, however I finished the review prior to enjoying my pickles!!! :-) However, most IPAs will always do better with something more heavy like meats or something more balanced like cheeses.

I really enjoyed this beer. I mean I have had several of Lagunita's beers before and I have not really enjoyed them. However, how can you go wrong with a beer called Hop STOOPID!!!! In my opinion, you'd be the stupid one if you didnt at least give this one a fair shot on your list.

phillipzayas, Jan 11, 2010
2.93/5  rDev -30.1%

Bottle given to me by my son for Christmas. Thanks big guy.
Fresh hop aroma with sweet grass and sweet citrus (especially a sweet grapefruit). Smells like sunshine :) One the sweeter aromas I've experiences. Minimal malt background.
Big full head. Very clear. Golden and reddish hue. Nice looking. Rocky head.
Full bitterness, but good malt sweetness and some fo the that sweet grapefruit character. There is a slight funky, cheesy swish in the taste (too bad). I know from experience that older hops can have this quality or if dry hopped too long. Extended finish.
Great mouth feel. Soft enough.
Limited drinkability due to the funky flavor issue noted. Too bad as all the other aspects of this beer were enjoyable to me. This could have been a tremendous beer.
I'll give it a go when next years batch comes around. Maybe the piece I don't like won't be there.

garymuchow, Jan 10, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -6.9%

A: Hazy burnt orange/amber. Off White head 1 and half fingers. Head retains and laces nicely.

S: Hops in first nosefull, then sweet hints come through. Most notable citrus is orange and spice. Sweeter smelling.

T: Cool combination of flavors throughout the sip. Starts off with nice bitter hop extract, proceeds to orange/citrus/grapefruit, and ends somewhat sweet with a caramel taste from the malts. The aftertaste warms and tastes minty almost.

M: Good mouth coating, decent carbonation, good flow and afterwarming.

D: Fair. The hop extract gives this IPA a different taste. It is a good flavor, worth trying multiple times throughout a year.

*Note: uses hop extract

cagocubs, Jan 08, 2010
4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

22 oz brown bomber poured into an imperial pint glass. The beer is a very hazy apricot with a dense off-white head. Good lacing.

Huge nose of citrus (mainly grapefruit) pine resin and grains.

The hops lead the way with a one-two punch of citrus and more citrus. Caramel malts in the aftertaste and then some pine. Lots going on here. You will notice a bit of alcohol, but it does not distract from the beer. Hard candy sweetness at the midpoint of the glass.
The mouth is oily and coating with low carbonation.

Drinkability is a tougher call. I like it and will buy again, but man this is almost the anti-session beer. Well done!

Redrover, Jan 08, 2010
4.18/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Dogfish Head shaped pint glass. Unsure when it was bottled.

Liquid is a slightly hazy mix of tangerine and amber topped by a very full rocky, sticky head, with good retention and crystalline pearly lacing. Simple-syrup-like legs.

Very sweet aromatics, with honey, Tang, and light pine notes - a bit "artificial" though.

Sweet crystal malt followed immediately by a concentrated blast of fruity, woodsy bitterness. Grapefruit, orange-pith, hemp, weak tea, and turbinado sugar show up in small pockets mid-palate. Flavors are not nearly as immense as the bitternes (though it doesn't seem like 102 IBUs). The finish is smooth, earthy, a touch grassy, and slightly dry. Not as crisp or complex as I was expecting, but still very well done.

Very creamy, supple, and smooth mouth-feel - though well carbonated which sends the flavor surging over your palate on first sip.

Hop extract probably has a lot to do with both the strengths and weaknesses of this brew - but it makes it pretty unique among its peers. A great value.

augustgarage, Jan 07, 2010

Poured into a pint Glass:

A- clear golden amber with an off-white finger of head that retained well and laced up and down the glass

S- floral, piney, and sweet at the same time- hoppy without being too much

T- a hit of floral hops and citrus notes, with just enough maltiness to keep it balanced

M- kind of sticky with a decent aftertaste that tasted AWESOME when I burped

D- if you told me this was 8% abv, I'd call bullshit- kind of like a Pliny Jr but very respectable in it's own right... I could never go back to Long Hammer

BDJake, Jan 06, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +2.6%

A 22oz gift bottle from one of my sons. The white-stamped date on the bottom rim is unreadable.

102 IBU's says the label.

FANTASTIC!

A= Medium orange-koolade colored, pours a light head and slight lacing, both disappeared quickly.

S= I opened a bottle and took a quick whiff, instantly reminded me of those candy coconut "watermelon" slices. Poured and took a few nice noses, still a little candy but nice piney hops presence and dry malts. Halfway thru the stein I'm just finding a little liquor-scent. Very nice. I haven't seen so much enthusiastic sniffing since our dog found a rabbit hole.

T= A bouquet of IPA heaven! Malts, bold but not overbalanced hops bitters and florals, light candy and fruity traits. After I finished the 1/2L stein I refilled and the remainder seemed to have a lot more citrus presence and flavor. In other words, possibly this separates a little in the bottle and would be best experienced in a very large single-pour stein? That thought seemed confirmed with another bottle, purchased, chilled for half an hour in the freezer on its side, gently rolled and then poured. The taste seemed much more incorporated when poured in 12-ounce portions.

M= Slightly dusty and dry malts and hops, pleasant mixed fruity flavors and slight syrup on the tongue. Very nicely balanced and enjoyable to savor.

D= Very very drinkable if you like APA, IPA or IIPA. I won't worry about the 8% ABV. Possibly too rich to go with a steak, might be nice with a juicy burger or a fruit dessert (cobbler, pie, etc)

therica, Jan 06, 2010
3.05/5  rDev -27.2%

I am not positive that I got a good one, however I have not ever tried this beer before to be able to compare. There is no "drink by" date on the bottle, and I bought it at a liquor store w/ very high turnover, even on their craft brews. But comparing my experience to others who I know that enjoy the style and love this beer makes me think that maybe mine is not so fresh.

Appearance is a nice clear coppery orange. Minimal head that dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing down my glass at all.

Smell is bland, relatively sweet, not hoppy. (First sign that this might not be fresh enough)

Taste is sweet, with a good dose of malt. Oddly tastes like honey. Hops are not up front and there is very little of the telltale citrus or pine notes. For a bottle that boasts 102 IBU, Im left wondering where the bitterness is. (Another sign that mine was not fresh enough)

Mouthfeel is good. Not overly carbonated, nicely smooth, but the sweetness is a little cloying for me. Maybe only because its so unexpected for the style.

Drinkability is not so high because when I buy an IIPA I expect certain characteristics that Im not finding in this bottle.

Having never had this specific beer before, but knowing that I love the style, I will need to try this again to determine if I got a not-so-fresh bottle, or if I just dont care for the beer as much as I expected that I would. I have read reviews of other BA's that I know have similar taste as I who reviewed this beer with high marks and comments that dont necessarily agree with my experience, so I will need to find one that is guaranteed fresh and compare my experiences.

guyforget, Jan 04, 2010
3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

Poured a copper hue that was pretty clear with a small amount of carbonation. This brew was topped by a small white head that left delicate but clingy lacing after each sip.

Smell was mostly grassy and grapefruit with a slight hint to the alcohol.

Taste was mostly about the hops with pine and citrus being the most represented, but there was also a hint to the malty sweetness in the finish. Was a little disappointed that the hops were not a little more aggressive, but not a bad flavor at all.

Mouthfeel was medium bodied and it does a nice job of coating the palate. Drinkability was good as the 8%ABV isn't noticeable.

snpub540, Jan 02, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured into a wine glass.

A: Good looking beer. Golden copper color. It's a little dense, but there was really good carbonation, and that fed the head up top which helped the lacing stick down the glass.

S: Hoppy smell, what can I say? There are other things in there, though. Underneath there's an assortment of citrus fruits, probably grapefruit. Nice scent, really.

T: Hop Stoopid is a hoppy IIPA, and that's a good thing. Pinier hops dominate. Those hops are layered over those citrus fruits giving a nice 2-level taste. I wouldn't call it the most explosive beer I've ever tasted or anything, but it certainly isn't holding back!

M: Great mouthfeel, really. Medium body with perfect carbonation. The alcohol is hidden really well and the finish is as clean as a beer should be.

D: Easy to drink in spite of the 8%... dangerous stuff.

Overall/notes: Another movie and beer night for me. The beer was really good, so was the movie. My second IIPA was a good follow up, and solidifies me as a fan of the style. Anyone with the same taste: check out his beer!

bbkd3b, Dec 30, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured in to a Duvel tulip. Deep orange color and plenty of head. Smell of floral and piney hop presence. The taste is unique for an Imperial IPA, in my opinion. It has a very bitter earthy flavor akin to unripened fruits. Not a bad drink at all and something to grab next time you see it - especially as it's only $3.99. All Hail Lagunitas for making such an affordable and tasty IIPA!

HoppyMcStout, Dec 28, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured a bit into a pint glass from a 220z. bomber.

A - Pours a nice golden amber color with a white head. Nice strong bubbles that recede to a film and sticks somewhat on the glass.

S - Sweet smell of citrus grapefruit with nice caramel malt with some sweet bready character. Grassy hop aroma.

T - Very nice oily hop character. Grapefruit character and nice flowery pine with a subtle bitterness that is balanced by the sweetness. Very attractive.

M - medium to light mouthful with nice CO2 content.

D - high except for the 8 %

JoEBoBpr, Dec 26, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +6.2%

My favorite Lagunitas, and a beer fest favorite, one of the few breweries who'll frequently bring their pricier stuff out.

Appearance, how light and straw in color, so innoccuous (sic) in appearance, but behind that innocent appearance, the aroma lets you know you're in for a hop experience. Such a delicious taste. Oast Ales or hop oil ales are enjoyable, I wonder why we don't see more? Mouthfeel, excellent, you just want more and more, this stuff is like crack. I bought 2 cases this summer when it was on sale 3.79 a piece + 15% of case discount = Summer of Love.

Taste only isn't exceptional because they don't age well, drink within 80 days i'd say.

Beerandraiderfan, Dec 26, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +4.5%

Appearance has a nice golden amber color with a thin head. Smell having a sweet citrus hoppiness. Taste is like a bitter sweet grapefruit having a nice balance between the hop and malt with little alchohol. Mouthfeel is a good medium with low carbonation that makes it go down smooth. Being from Lagunitas I knew it would be a good one and it is.

Bookseeb, Dec 26, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured into a pint glass, the color is a bit darker then most IPAs but not by much. Inch thick head that doesn't go away for a long while. Lots of chunky lacing. Smells of HOPS and grapefruit. A light sugary smell as well. Taste is explosive with tons of hops and small malt backbone at the end. The hops are intense and prick your tongue. Extremely delicious for any hop head. The mouthtfeel is great and drinkability is only brought down by the high ABV. A great example of an American DIPA.

tegelaar, Dec 25, 2009
3.83/5  rDev -8.6%

Threw this ho into an American pint glass. Slight haze. Little lighter than blood plasma in hue. Head was big bubbled and about 2/3 of an inch. Lacing was evident and stayed around well after the beer was done. I think it actually etched a doily like pattern into that crappy pint glass.

Nice and smelly. Evergreen with old lady type flowers. Sort of like smooshing your nose into carnations along with this very peculiar "organic human" smell. There was an odd note of my wife's breath... totally serious.

Total stupidity on the hop taste. When I say stupid, I mean stupid like fly, def, mack, etc. Little maltiness underneath. Faintly perceptible booze on the first few sips. After that, forget it, you're in trouble territory.

These double and imperial PA and IPAs have totally seen me into winter for their spicy bite yet the mouth is thin enough not to have me feeling "sticky" or "full" like a syrupier stout or porter might.

I could totally sit around and hammer these all day with no remorse. Would probably be a horrible idea seeing as the ABV is 8. Oh well, pour me another.

countrocula, Dec 24, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +9.3%

Drank out of the 22 Oz. bottle. QFC has been selling this for 3.99 in Renton, WA, a below average price for strong ales from anyone. No one else in the area seems to be selling this, except for maybe the smaller vendors who tend to charge 50 cents to a dollar more.
It starts out with a fragrant evergreen smell, and the taste comes out like spruce gum. In this case, it cancels out the 8% alcohol leaving a happy astringent taste, and you have to wait till you finish the bottle and stand up to find out you just knocked off something stronger than Arrogant Bastard. This is the stuff you alternate with AB (not Anheuser-Busch) while sitting out in the sun enjoying the current economic slowdown. Buy cases and cases before you go broke because you lost your job.

sabinelr, Dec 23, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured into a Tulip glass.

Appearance - A yellow amber with nice head retention

Smell - Highly aromatic, the scent seeps into the air as soon as the bottle is opened. Floral scent with hint of citrus.

Taste - An undefined explosion of hops that overpower the malt flavors (as designed).

Mouthfeel - Initial bite of hops as it hits your tongue followed by a welcoming smoothness finishing off very dry leaving my mouth watering for more

Drinkability - Very drinkable for any hop head, it's a staple in my 'fridge as it's in my opinion one of the best beers for your dollar you can buy. After buying several 22 ounce bottles I simply buy by the case now.

danman83, Dec 22, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -6.9%

Pours a golden, slight orange colour, with a healthy beige head, medium-dense but with visible bubbles. Lacing is very nice, uneven but very sticky webs around the outside. No carbonation - looks a bit flat body-wise, but head and lace are excellent.

Nose very tart, almost astringent in hopdom; a very strong passionfruit aroma (with seeds), nicely acidic. Hints of bready malt and some lychee as well. Fresh and fruity with a strong hop character, overall is a bit one-note though. Still nice.

Taste has a classic IPA palate, with rich doughy goodness providing a darkly sweet molasses-style base, but a lot of hop bitterness layered over this for a pretty crazy bitterness. Tart fruits on the front descend into a mid-palate with hints of treacle and licorice and some citrus zest. Hops are aggressive, coming in for the kill early, quite ashy at times and very bitey. They leave an astringent metallic hang, which is a bit of a turnoff because it's otherwise quite refreshing. Still a fair amount of fruit though, and is very nice and fairly complex.

Medium-full body, not much tingle. Good for the taste, not thick and not thin.

Fairly drinkable, but the bitterness is just a bit off-putting. Just a bit.

laituegonflable, Dec 21, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

Casked Hop Stoopid, on tap (cask?) at Capital Ale House, Midlothian location. Served in a nonic.

Appearance: A crystal clear amber body, devoid of any of the force-carbonated version's effervescence, capped my a miraculously soapy two fingers of head with solid (but not amazing) retention that leaves some amazing, fluffy lacing, three-dimensional and fairly continuous.

Aroma: Sweet, tropical fruits coupled with a pleasant malty undertone, moderately roasted, though plenty sweet. Citrus is a little less dominant in this version, but that could be the warmth.

Taste: Juicy, sweet fruits - grapefruit, orange, and lemon, but also kiwi, pineapple, strawberries, and slight mango, even - couple with mint, spruce, and a moderate but persistent bitterness. The sweetness of the mildly roasted, bready malt foundation is amplified by the warmth, lending a definite fruit juice flavor.

Mouthfeel: Cask-tastic, soft and subtle, with a surprisingly non-sticky body, given the amount of sweetness.

Drinkability: Great on tap, great out of the bottle, and - yep - great on cask. This one retains all of the amazingness of the original, with the softness and warmth amplifying certain characteristics and muting others. It's a different take on a solid beer. Recommended in any capacity.

CrellMoset, Dec 21, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -12.2%

A: A nice hazy amber verging toward yellow. It's got a big, foamy white head that collapses quickly and leaves moderate lacing.

S: A big hit of honey. Pungent herbal hops which come out more as it warms.

T: The sweet honey and caramel malt dominates. Piney hops are present; not as prominent as I'd expect or like from the style, but not as hidden as I'd feared. The bitterness, while weaker than many dIPAs, lingers very nicely. The lingering bitterness has a medicinal quality.

M: Resinous with moderate carbonation. A bit of creaminess. Quite nice.

D: Not my favorite dIPA by a long shot, but not the worst either. Just not bitter enough, though the bitterness has respectable staying power. One of the cheaper dIPAs I can find, so it's got that going for it.

CharlatanSin, Dec 20, 2009