Hop Stoopid - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Hop StoopidHop Stoopid

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: lou91 on 03-07-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Stoopid Alström Bros
4.3/5  rDev +2.6%

I'm surprised to see I haven't reviewed this one considering how many times I've tried it. Pours a nice burnt orange/amber w/ a nice white head and nice lacing. The aromas are wonderful and addicting. Lots of tropical fruits and citrus. It's barely malty, the hops really shine. I'm picking up alot of pineapple as well. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. Drinkability is very good, alcohol is undetected. It's very easy to kill a bomber of this. Hop Stoopid isn't in your face, but the flavors are addicting. This is a classic example of what Lagunitas does.

Hop Stoopid is a great beer at a great value. If you've never tried it, do yourself a favor, you have nothing to lose. Recommended.

A - A beautiful clear golden orange. Nice pitted off-white head.

S - Pine, citrus, malt.

T: Pine, citrus, grapefruit....hoppy and yet mildly sweet.

M - Medium body....resinous. Nice and lightly carbonated

O - Nice beer. Easy to drink. Good, solid beer.

4.3/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

An excellent 102 IBUs of beer. Given that firepower I find it to be quite smooth and not nearly as bracing as one would expect from all the hops.

A - a golden orange. Hints at the maltiness.

S - no complaints at all, but the weakest aspect for me. Leaves one without any idea of what is to come.

T - very nice. I first get notes of apricot/tropical fruits from the tons of great malt. The hops hit me second, and they are more grassy than either bitter or citrus. Surprisingly soft (for a hop freak).

M - silk. Very full...

4.43/5  rDev +5.7%

This particular brew was poured into a snifter. It is an amber pour with approximately 1/4 inch of quickly fading head with minimal lacing. It has an aroma of hops, flowers, and slightly grassy. It tastes dry, very hoppy, with a hint of lemons, and again, very flowery. A good amount of bitterness is detected. This is a very tasty IPA.

4.43/5  rDev +5.7%

On Tap. Toronado.

A: Dark hazy golden orange with a nice white cap

S: Fresh piney, weedy hops.

T: Fresh hops all up in yo face with a scant bit of biscuit malt in the background

M: Hoppy and piney with great carbonation

O: A great freakin IPA. This is one of the ones that I miss the most living in New Zealand!

4.28/5  rDev +2.1%

A clear amber/orange beer, an off.white firm head that leaves good lacing and has curtains.

A lot of citric action is this, plus tropical fruits, mango, peaches etc. A multi fruit juice.

Starting surprisingly tart, the fruits are there, mango, lemon, and loads of grape-fruit peel.

Medium carbonation, small bubbles, soft and refresing, a good body with a long dry finsih.

A very, very distinct ADIPA.

3.65/5  rDev -12.9%

Name says it all. It pours into a glass like other beers, and it smells like pine trees. "Bitter, bitter every where. Lots of drops to drink." Malt is in there I assume, but trying to find it would be stoopid. It's the hops, stoopid. Is this like " a million hopped?" You know, like "triple hopped x 333,333.33."

4.28/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Lets start off by saying last night was a bad night. I drank an Arogant Bastard Ale and got no hops, kind of worried me, well, really worried me. Not sure if my palate is screwed up or what. So I stopped by Specs in the afternoon and looked for something hoppy, but didn't want to spend alot. Lucky for me they just got in a fresh case of Hop Stoopid...perfect. Time to see if I'm okay.

Appearance-Hazy pale orange. Very nice looking. Two fingers of very creamy looking lacing that sticks around.

Smell-Well my smell isn't infected, I got a monster whiff of hops, a huge relief. Tons of piney hops with just enough of a malt backbone. In this particular batch pine is the star, but still get some citrus notes. More I drink it the more grapefruit notes I get, is extremely balanced.

Taste-I knew this beer would be able to solve my problem. I immediately get the citrus now, then comes the piney hops, and finishes with the malt as the hops still linger which leaves the throught dry wanted another sip.

Mouthfeel-Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. The finish is very satisfying and refreshing.

Overall-If you look at the overall picture this beer is awesome. In every aspect it is close to perfect, but need to leave some room for other IIPAs i've yet to try. It's 3.99 for 22oz and is widely available for a top notch IIPA. If this beer stayed fresh for a longer period of time I would buy this beer everytime i could. I could drink 44 oz a day of Hop Stoopid and be overly satisfied. Still not sure how Lagunitas does it with these cheap, top of the line bombers. Thanks to Lagunitas bombers that are over 4.99 just seem expensive.

4.65/5  rDev +11%

Bomber poured into Chimay chalice glass.

a: golden amber color with 1 finger head, moderate lacing on glass.

s: smells very hoppy, like cascades; grapefruit, floral, grassy, some pine in there.

t: excellent excellent balance in the taste. there is so much hop flavor and bitterness up front and in the finish, but as it rests in the palate there is a smooth maltiness that comes through. The hop flavor is also smoother than expected, not as much grapefruit as the nose leads you to expect, it's just bitter enough.

m: seems a little bit thin, but carbonated very well, and definitely sessionable if you want to do that to yourself haha. as powerful as this beer is in ibu's and alcohol, you can swish it around to taste every nuance without getting overwhelmed at all.

o: I think the balancing maltiness is what makes this beer a winner. the hops are expected and obvious with a name like "Hop Stoopid" and coming from Lagunitas, but the malt really comes through perfectly and makes me want to keep drinking this again and again.

4.72/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A-Nice golden color with a two finger head that does not quickly disappear. Above average lacing.

S-Very nice floral aroma with a nice mix of grapefruit and hops. Neither overpowers your sense of smell right off the bat. I got excited after smelling this one, even after reading all the great reviews. Does not smell overly sweet.

T-Wonderful blend of sweet grapefruit up front to go with a great malt character. Perfect amount of maltiness in my opinion, with a great, yet not overbearing hop backbone. It tastes like a double, not not overly bitter either.

M-Good medium body that goes down very smooth for a DIPA. I feel like someone not accustomed to drinking strong beer could sit down and enjoy this beer.

O- I have found that I prefer DIPA's with a good deal of malts. I am not much a fan of the overly sweet and bitter doubles, like Pliny the Elder for instance. This beer ranks right up there with Dogfish 90 Minute as my favorite DIPA's. Great beer.

4.13/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Golden pale yellow with a decent sized white head that laces the glass a little

S- Citrus and pine hops... and nothing but hops

T- Lots of hops from the start, both the citrus and pine scents carry over into the flavor but the citrus flavor is the bigger of the two. Grapefruit is very strong and there is a slight malt backbone detected but mostly covered by the bitterness. Slight alcohol warmth but nothing powerful.

M- More body than I was expecting, i would consider it medium-high in that category with moderate carbonation, pretty crisp finish with the hop bitterness lingering by itself.

D- Great beer it you want a hoppy beer with none of that "balance" stuff. Especially for the price for the bomber it is a very good beer and I am surprised it has taken me thing long to find it

3.8/5  rDev -9.3%

A: Very clear pale orange pour with a small white head and a bunch of lacing.

S: Huge hop aroma. Citrus, grass, pine and spicy.

T: Hop flavor front row and center! The strong citrus flavor of the hops and high acidity make this beer taste a lot like grapefruit juice. Pine is also a big note, and just a little spicy. Malt flavor is almost completely obscured by the lingering bitterness of the hops. I would by no means call this a balanced beer, but if it's pure unadulterated hop flavor you are after, you probably can't do better, especially in this price range.

M: Surprisingly light body and good carb.

I drink this beer fairly often. Lovers of hop flavor rejoice. This is definitely not a beer for the faint of heart, or really anyone who is not already an IPA lover. Double IPA is truly my favorite style and I find it a little overwhelming, but I keep coming back to it if I ever have the taste for Centennial hops. Cheers!

3.98/5  rDev -5%

22 oz bomber poured into a pint glass

102 IBU's

Appearance: Hazy pale golden amber color with a chunky two finger head. Moderate retention. Thin, but plentiful sticky lacing that form rings around the glass.

Smell: Citrus-like hops. Predominately grapefruit.

Taste: Sweet grapefruit citrus. (Centennial/Amarillo hops?) Bitter hopped finish. Solid malt-backbone. The alcohol comes out in the taste, but it's partially masked by the hops.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied with solid carbonation.
Ending notes: Overall, another fine presentation by Lagunitas. Well done.

4.45/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Given that grapefruit is one of my favorite foods, I had NO problem whatsoever making the most of this one. I kept sticking my nose in the glass; couldn't get enough of the citrus, and then you taste it and it just keeps on coming. A really nice beer. Great coloration, beautiful head and excellent drinkability. Had a pucker for me, with a wonderful acidity that ran right down the middle of my tongue. Too bad I had to enjoy it while watching the Syracuse Orangemen lose to Marquette...

Pours a translucent amber with a sizable head considering the high ABV. Moderate lacing. Nose is all grapefruit and ripe orange, the juice and the peels. Taste is surprisingly balanced between puckering hop bitterness and a sturdy malt backbone that comes right up through the middle. Aftertaste is lingering grapefruit. Mouthfeel is full enough for the style. Another solid Lagunitas brew.

3.73/5  rDev -11%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Beer is a cloudy amber colour, with a little more than a finer width of frothy white head.

Hops coming strongly though in the nose. Lots of citrus and pine. Very nice.

Taste is similar to the smell, but disappointing by comparison. The pine comes through more than the citrus, though there is certainly some grapefruit present. The flavours are more muted than I expected from the smell. The finish is fairly sweet, somewhat caramel like.

Moderate carbonation and medium bodied, the beer feels pretty good but is not exceptional.

Overall, pretty good, but not a standout. The taste is simply too muted and unexciting. Nothing unpleasant about it, just not something that I will be actively seeking out again.

S - piney, citrusy, like grapefruit buy doesn't linger though.
A - bright amber, clear, two fingers whitish head, with lacing that stays for quite awhile.
T - grapefruit, with spices. Hoppy
M - light to medium bodied. Smooth at start and then finishes with the bitterness that lingers.
D - easily drinkable. Not my fave but will drink again for sure.

3.8/5  rDev -9.3%

pours a stunningly golden hugh, with a egg shell color head that seems thick and inviting.
smell is as you would expect something being called hop stoopid. generously citrusy, with after notes of floral and pine,
Taste is a very sweet grapefruit, and citrusy. has a nice bouquet of floral hops. smell is true to the taste and is also floral on the end. Bitter at the end.
pleasently carbonated that seems to mask the alcohol somewhat. which i would expect in an IPA.
sits a bit sticky on the mouth.
really nothing special with this one. but good all the way around.

3.2/5  rDev -23.6%

Bomber into my C&B tulip on March 17th, 2011.

Standard IPA coloring but with a pretty excellent light tan/white head and very nice lacing. Honestly, the best part of the brew for me. All the basics were in the nose, predominantly citrus with secondary floral and pine characters. Taste was pretty much the same but all the characters felt reduced, hops felt a tad thin at first (might've left this one sitting too long). Overall just "meh". Medium body, appropriate carbonation and ABV-masking. Bitter coating leftovers on the tongue.

Not likely to revisit this one. I've had better from Lagunitas for sure.

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured this into a tulip glass. Color was copper. Head was thick, white, and healthy. Smelled like fresh flowers, taste had citrus and pine notes, sort of like marijuana, which I always get when I drink the Lagunitas IPA. Very little alcohol flavor to note, bitter finish where the malt made its presence known. I really loved this beer, and it's one of the better Double IPA's I've sampled to date.

3.73/5  rDev -11%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Catching up on some notes from the earlier this week...

A - Straw blonde with an orange hue. Little head with minimal lacing. Clear, not cloudy.

S - Almost smell the hops themselves! Obvious pine and citrus...Almost tangerine instead of grapefruit. Smells great!

T - Hmmm....not as hoppy as I expected. Pine, and not as much citrus as I epected. Very nice except for a slight metallic taste I'm picking up. Like I said...hmmm.

M - Not overly carbonated. Maybe a bit thin.

O - Overall, I will say I expected more from this beer.

4.15/5  rDev -1%

Poured from a 22 oz. brown bottle to an Oversized Wine glass. Using a Julian calculator from the numbers (34777611) on the neck it appears this was brewed sometime in October. I hope I am wrong. $4.98 a bottle.

Appearance: Pours golden orange with a 2-finger frothy white head. Decent head retention. Patchy lacing. Completely transparent.

Smell: Tropical fruit and citrus piney hops. Not much else to say other than it smells great. Very floral, as it should be, with a very fruity backbone. I was going to give it a 5 for smell, but for some reason I keep coming back to the smell of those pink urinal cakes in some men's bathrooms. Gross I know, but every time I smell it now I can't help but think of it. Good thing that isn't all I get, it just reminds me of it.

Taste: Mix of pine and earthy hops. Strong citrus. Sweet candied aftertaste lingers with earthy bitter undertones. I would definitely not mistake this for a high IBU beer if someone didn't tell me first.

Mouthfeel: Mouthfeel is medium with a perfect (medium) carbonation level. This does not smell or taste like a 5 month old DIPA. Absolutely no trace of the alcohol near as I can tell. Maybe just a little in the warming effect, but that's it. Dangerously drinkable.

Drinkability: High

Very impressed with this one. Not amazing but solid all the way through.

4.28/5  rDev +2.1%

This surprised me. I had this on tap and never reviewed it and I do not remember liking it this much. Ruby pour, fluffy head, some stick on the glass. Very fragrant with super floral notes, I mean flowers! Apricot and pineapple up front, hops comes in later but does not take over. A pleasant bitterness at the end. Pine resins are here as well. A bit sticky but an easy drinking 8%.

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

White head with substantial lacing. Citricy hop smell is really good.

Light amber/golden color looks good not great. I expected a deeper golden color.

You taste the hops immediately, then the malt flavor kicks in and then it finishes with a slightly bitter aftertaste.

This is a very drinkable DIPA.

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

Bomber poured into a tulip

Color is a light gold with white head that clings to the glass

Smell is citrus grapefruity

Citrus and hops come through well on the taste

Very drinkable alcohol is well hidden

Not quite to the level of the super double ipas but very good

Hop Stoopid from Lagunitas Brewing Company