Hop Stoopid - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Hop StoopidHop Stoopid

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: lou91 on 03-07-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Stoopid Alström Bros
4.13/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Golden pale yellow with a decent sized white head that laces the glass a little

S- Citrus and pine hops... and nothing but hops

T- Lots of hops from the start, both the citrus and pine scents carry over into the flavor but the citrus flavor is the bigger of the two. Grapefruit is very strong and there is a slight malt backbone detected but mostly covered by the bitterness. Slight alcohol warmth but nothing powerful.

M- More body than I was expecting, i would consider it medium-high in that category with moderate carbonation, pretty crisp finish with the hop bitterness lingering by itself.

D- Great beer it you want a hoppy beer with none of that "balance" stuff. Especially for the price for the bomber it is a very good beer and I am surprised it has taken me thing long to find it

3.8/5  rDev -9.3%

A: Very clear pale orange pour with a small white head and a bunch of lacing.

S: Huge hop aroma. Citrus, grass, pine and spicy.

T: Hop flavor front row and center! The strong citrus flavor of the hops and high acidity make this beer taste a lot like grapefruit juice. Pine is also a big note, and just a little spicy. Malt flavor is almost completely obscured by the lingering bitterness of the hops. I would by no means call this a balanced beer, but if it's pure unadulterated hop flavor you are after, you probably can't do better, especially in this price range.

M: Surprisingly light body and good carb.

I drink this beer fairly often. Lovers of hop flavor rejoice. This is definitely not a beer for the faint of heart, or really anyone who is not already an IPA lover. Double IPA is truly my favorite style and I find it a little overwhelming, but I keep coming back to it if I ever have the taste for Centennial hops. Cheers!

3.98/5  rDev -5%

22 oz bomber poured into a pint glass

102 IBU's

Appearance: Hazy pale golden amber color with a chunky two finger head. Moderate retention. Thin, but plentiful sticky lacing that form rings around the glass.

Smell: Citrus-like hops. Predominately grapefruit.

Taste: Sweet grapefruit citrus. (Centennial/Amarillo hops?) Bitter hopped finish. Solid malt-backbone. The alcohol comes out in the taste, but it's partially masked by the hops.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied with solid carbonation.
Ending notes: Overall, another fine presentation by Lagunitas. Well done.

4.45/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Given that grapefruit is one of my favorite foods, I had NO problem whatsoever making the most of this one. I kept sticking my nose in the glass; couldn't get enough of the citrus, and then you taste it and it just keeps on coming. A really nice beer. Great coloration, beautiful head and excellent drinkability. Had a pucker for me, with a wonderful acidity that ran right down the middle of my tongue. Too bad I had to enjoy it while watching the Syracuse Orangemen lose to Marquette...

Pours a translucent amber with a sizable head considering the high ABV. Moderate lacing. Nose is all grapefruit and ripe orange, the juice and the peels. Taste is surprisingly balanced between puckering hop bitterness and a sturdy malt backbone that comes right up through the middle. Aftertaste is lingering grapefruit. Mouthfeel is full enough for the style. Another solid Lagunitas brew.

3.73/5  rDev -11%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Beer is a cloudy amber colour, with a little more than a finer width of frothy white head.

Hops coming strongly though in the nose. Lots of citrus and pine. Very nice.

Taste is similar to the smell, but disappointing by comparison. The pine comes through more than the citrus, though there is certainly some grapefruit present. The flavours are more muted than I expected from the smell. The finish is fairly sweet, somewhat caramel like.

Moderate carbonation and medium bodied, the beer feels pretty good but is not exceptional.

Overall, pretty good, but not a standout. The taste is simply too muted and unexciting. Nothing unpleasant about it, just not something that I will be actively seeking out again.

S - piney, citrusy, like grapefruit buy doesn't linger though.
A - bright amber, clear, two fingers whitish head, with lacing that stays for quite awhile.
T - grapefruit, with spices. Hoppy
M - light to medium bodied. Smooth at start and then finishes with the bitterness that lingers.
D - easily drinkable. Not my fave but will drink again for sure.

3.8/5  rDev -9.3%

pours a stunningly golden hugh, with a egg shell color head that seems thick and inviting.
smell is as you would expect something being called hop stoopid. generously citrusy, with after notes of floral and pine,
Taste is a very sweet grapefruit, and citrusy. has a nice bouquet of floral hops. smell is true to the taste and is also floral on the end. Bitter at the end.
pleasently carbonated that seems to mask the alcohol somewhat. which i would expect in an IPA.
sits a bit sticky on the mouth.
really nothing special with this one. but good all the way around.

3.2/5  rDev -23.6%

Bomber into my C&B tulip on March 17th, 2011.

Standard IPA coloring but with a pretty excellent light tan/white head and very nice lacing. Honestly, the best part of the brew for me. All the basics were in the nose, predominantly citrus with secondary floral and pine characters. Taste was pretty much the same but all the characters felt reduced, hops felt a tad thin at first (might've left this one sitting too long). Overall just "meh". Medium body, appropriate carbonation and ABV-masking. Bitter coating leftovers on the tongue.

Not likely to revisit this one. I've had better from Lagunitas for sure.

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured this into a tulip glass. Color was copper. Head was thick, white, and healthy. Smelled like fresh flowers, taste had citrus and pine notes, sort of like marijuana, which I always get when I drink the Lagunitas IPA. Very little alcohol flavor to note, bitter finish where the malt made its presence known. I really loved this beer, and it's one of the better Double IPA's I've sampled to date.

3.73/5  rDev -11%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Catching up on some notes from the earlier this week...

A - Straw blonde with an orange hue. Little head with minimal lacing. Clear, not cloudy.

S - Almost smell the hops themselves! Obvious pine and citrus...Almost tangerine instead of grapefruit. Smells great!

T - Hmmm....not as hoppy as I expected. Pine, and not as much citrus as I epected. Very nice except for a slight metallic taste I'm picking up. Like I said...hmmm.

M - Not overly carbonated. Maybe a bit thin.

O - Overall, I will say I expected more from this beer.

4.15/5  rDev -1%

Poured from a 22 oz. brown bottle to an Oversized Wine glass. Using a Julian calculator from the numbers (34777611) on the neck it appears this was brewed sometime in October. I hope I am wrong. $4.98 a bottle.

Appearance: Pours golden orange with a 2-finger frothy white head. Decent head retention. Patchy lacing. Completely transparent.

Smell: Tropical fruit and citrus piney hops. Not much else to say other than it smells great. Very floral, as it should be, with a very fruity backbone. I was going to give it a 5 for smell, but for some reason I keep coming back to the smell of those pink urinal cakes in some men's bathrooms. Gross I know, but every time I smell it now I can't help but think of it. Good thing that isn't all I get, it just reminds me of it.

Taste: Mix of pine and earthy hops. Strong citrus. Sweet candied aftertaste lingers with earthy bitter undertones. I would definitely not mistake this for a high IBU beer if someone didn't tell me first.

Mouthfeel: Mouthfeel is medium with a perfect (medium) carbonation level. This does not smell or taste like a 5 month old DIPA. Absolutely no trace of the alcohol near as I can tell. Maybe just a little in the warming effect, but that's it. Dangerously drinkable.

Drinkability: High

Very impressed with this one. Not amazing but solid all the way through.

4.28/5  rDev +2.1%

This surprised me. I had this on tap and never reviewed it and I do not remember liking it this much. Ruby pour, fluffy head, some stick on the glass. Very fragrant with super floral notes, I mean flowers! Apricot and pineapple up front, hops comes in later but does not take over. A pleasant bitterness at the end. Pine resins are here as well. A bit sticky but an easy drinking 8%.

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

White head with substantial lacing. Citricy hop smell is really good.

Light amber/golden color looks good not great. I expected a deeper golden color.

You taste the hops immediately, then the malt flavor kicks in and then it finishes with a slightly bitter aftertaste.

This is a very drinkable DIPA.

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

Bomber poured into a tulip

Color is a light gold with white head that clings to the glass

Smell is citrus grapefruity

Citrus and hops come through well on the taste

Very drinkable alcohol is well hidden

Not quite to the level of the super double ipas but very good

4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

22 oz. bottled 2/8, reviewed 3/10/11, tulip glass.

A- Clear, almost glowing, light orange beer poured with 1/4" of off-white head. The second pour was closer to a 1/2" of head, but both times it faded pretty quickly. I did notice a tiny bit of lacing left behind at the end of the glass.

S- Awesome hoppy sweet grapefruit and citrus pith. The alcohol is detectable if you let your glass get that warm.

T- Again, sweet grapefruity hops, some light grass. The bitterness is there, but very mild. Mild sweet caramely backbone. Finishes with the mild bitterness again.

M- Medium bodied, but the fine carbonation makes it feel very light. Some oily/mouthcoating going on that helps with the long finish.

D- This one sparked my love of grapefruit notes in my beer so it's about time I got around to reviewing it. All around a bit milder than I remember. The malt backbone is light and sweet which makes for the perfect balance to the grapefruit/citrus hop flavors. Not much else to say...I love it.

4.43/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours a super clear apple juice color with a nice 2 inch stark white head that fades to a small frothy cap. Bubbly ring lacing on the drink down. Smell is of citrus zest hops, grapefruit, and pineapple juice. Very fruity and juicy smelling. Taste starts with grapefruit juice hops, pineapple juice, and a sweet malt backbone. Very refreshing and delicious. A very mild bitterness on the palate after each sip. Good carbonation levels but this has a somewhat medium body. A bit thick and creamy but not too much. Exceptionally easy to drink. Great smell and great taste all around. One of my go to DIPAs.

4.43/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured from a 22oz bottle.

A: Nice, rich amber color, clean and clear looking with a nice off white head on the pour, giving way to thin film with nice lacing on the glass.

S: Hoppy pine scent opens your eyes, then layers out nicely with a sweet lemon scent. Nice sweet, fruity notes keep me guessing and coming back.

T: Sweet, malty, fruity, front end that gives way to a pop of piney hops on the swallow. Nice balance, the hops do not overpower. Less hop bite than expected based on the name and aroma.

M: Smooth, medium feel with pleasant carbonation for nice balance.

D: Nice hoppy ale that I really enjoyed. I liked trying to figure out the flavors and aromas with this one. Very well balanced. I think I'm going to have to buy another bottle soon!

4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

A - Pours a nice golden amber colour with a frothy white head that laces and reduces to a film

S - Mandarin, citrus and pine.

T - Citrus up front that gives way to some major hops, before finishing with a bitter grapefruit.

M - Light to medium body with balanced carbonation.

D - Very highly drinkable DIPA with plenty of balance.

4.43/5  rDev +5.7%

My first time getting Hop Stoopid!!!

A- Poured into a Maudite Tulip glass... a nice orange/amber brew with a foamy bright white head that holds on for a bit, then fades away leaving a nice foaming dripping lacing.

S- Grapefruit, candied orange, wet grass, lemon, with a sweet malty hint.

T- Lots of citrus, grassy notes... nice malty backbone that slips in before going back to that wonderful grapefruit bitterness. Honey, candied fruit... perhaps some mango and pineapple. The fruit really opens up as it warms up a bit.

M- Bitter, sweet, grassy and clean hopiness. Lots of fruit on the tongue... love the balance of sweet malts and bitter pithy hops.

D- This could be an everyday drinker! Why can't I find this in 6-packs instead of just bombers? The alcohol bite never comes thru... that is until you stand up after drinking a bomber of it! Overall... a remarkable IPA... Gotta get more of this before it disappears!

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

Another beer that I've waited way too long to sit down and write a review for. Poured from a 22oz bottle into my Allagash glass. It poured a hazy, amber/orange color with a thick and rocky white head filling the top two inches of the glass. The head lasted very well into drinking it, and left some great lacing as well.

The aroma has a very nice and bright hoppiness to it. It has notes of pine, grapefruit and pineapple all coming through at one time or another. Some pale malts provide a base for all the hops, and some sweetness as well.

The taste shows more of the pineapple and grapefruit citrusy flavors throughout the beer. I get a bit of the piny, bitterness in the finish. The pale malts provide some nice sweetness that compliments the hoppiness. Excellent hoppy flavor overall.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is very good, it's one of my favorite hoppy beers I can find regularly. A very good beer overall, and one I don't have often enough.

3.98/5  rDev -5%

A - bright amber haze with head, retention, and lacing striking all the right notes

S - Not getting a huge amount. Some pine, and sleet citrus. That's about it.

T - The zesty citrus and pine notes are clearly the key players, with the malt expressions being light yet forthcoming. There's also a peculiar funky, vegetal, woodiness that blows around in the background. Good transition across the palate.

M - Lagunitas are the masters of substantial mouthfeel, and they've certainly not fallen short on this one - the carbonation and malt weight have to be the highlight.

D/O - Pretty solid DIPA, although toward the lower end of the scale. Complexity and balance could be improved,and I'd reconsider the woodiness, but all-in-all it's a thumbs up.

4.3/5  rDev +2.6%

I have had his in the past and have considered it one of the best bomber values. When I saw it on the top 100 list, I had to finally review it.

Stoopid pours a golden yellow with just a bit of head from the pour. A small bit of lacing appears on the sides of the glass, not too impressive of a sight.

The smell brings about a floral bouquet of pine, mixed flowers, and grass. It has a very fragrant fresh smell.

I would say that the most prominent flavor is western pine hops. Along with pine is some mild grapefruit, lemon zest, grass, and orange zest. All of the hoppy fruit bitterness is backed by ample malts. Good balance.

The resulting feel in the mouth from this brew is a medium full with some airiness. There is a slight drying resulting in an overall satisfying feel.

This is a previously underrated beer, but the new top 100 has it right. Hop Stoopid is a solid DIPA!

4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured into a pint glass. The beer pours a cleary golden color with deep orange hues and a thin layer of creamy white head that caps this off nicely. Lots of lively visible carbonation shooting up the beer.

Fantastic aroma on this. Nice candied orange zest aroma with a nice grassy hop aroma to finish it off. Just a lot of hops on the profile. It has a bit of a juicy flavor but mostly a big hop character and a noticable malt backbone.

Good feel to this. The body seems a bit heavy but it's not of done. Kind of sticky one the finish but the carbonation is good. Drinks amazingly. It's pretty dangerous the I drive by a store that sells these around five bucks a bomber every day.

4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

22oz bomber to mug

A - Deep, golden, somewhat amber hues and just a tad cloudy. Nice, white, two finger head off the pour that was barely contained by the large oktoberfest mug I used. Lacing was excellent as I enjoyed this brew.

S - The hop extract they used jumps out at the nose; a citrus smack in the face. Also, there is a subtle, sweet/biscuity malt undertone that also comes through.

T - Wow. Excellent balance for a DIPA. The alcohol is well hidden and was not as bitter as some other DIPA's I have sampled over the years. Nice, assertive, hop's get you on the front end but such a smooth, somewhat biscuity aftertaste.

M - Medium bodied with a bit of carbonation; A pleasant dry finish.

D - Some DIPA's that approach the 10% ABV are a bit much to enjoy more than one or two in a session but this brew was so well crafted I wish I had another bomber. A value at $3.99!!

Hop Stoopid from Lagunitas Brewing Company