1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Hop Stoopid - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Hop StoopidHop Stoopid

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: lou91 on 03-07-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Stoopid Alström Bros
4.18/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours a nice orange color with two fingers of creamy white head.

Scent of hops, citrus, caramel, sugars and fruits. Hops are fairly strong, but balanced nicely.

Taste of hops, caramel and some light fruitiness. Not as hoppy as I like my Imperial IPAs, but it gets the job done.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation, refreshing.

paco1029384756, May 10, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Clear, gold, some lacing, head retention could be better.

Great aroma of oranges, strawberries (i swear) and juniper/pine.

This brew is hops first, as it should be. Not much malt to speak. That's a good thing.

Mouthfeel is light to medium and appreciably arid.

The lighter body, crisp aftertaste and enticing aroma make this quite a DIPA to kick back with.

itcomesnpints, May 09, 2009
3.95/5  rDev -5.7%

pours a clear golden orange with a 2 finger head that leaves lacing all down the glass

smell is big fruity hops and pine and some how it smells bitter if thats possible

taste is just how it smells pineapple citrus with a big bitter lingering after taste

mouthfeel - was a little lacking in carbonation

drinkability is very good with the nice hop bite and no detection of alcohol

overall a very good dipa but just not as good as hopslam or double trouble

jsh420, May 09, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +15.3%

beer has a classic IPA look to it, a deep golden brown hue with a decent sized head that laces quite well. very inviting

smell is awesome, a multitude of hops but something i've never been able to really focus on, it has a slight rasberry/strawberry aroma to it, really unique and special

taste is fantastic as well, a wonderful well balanced IPA

mouthfeel and drinkability are both very good, lagunitas does not dissapoint

1fastz28, May 09, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours a pale orange with a nice two finger head that is nice and frothy.

The smell is a citrus hop nose with hints of pineapple and orange. There is a mild sweetness to it and also a touch of pine.

The taste is predominantly citrus hops as detected in the nose. There's a fruity sweetness to it to balance the bitterness. The finish is resinous.

Mouthfeel is a little oily, but crisp in carbonation and leaves a pleasantly dry aftertaste.

This is an easy drinker. The alcohol is almost non-existant in the flavor/texture and the abv is respectable, but not too much.

This is a very good beer that, for the price, stacks up against some of the better DIPAs.

Vonerichs, May 09, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +15.3%

Finally Hop Stoopid has made it to Houston!!!! Picked up a bomber today at the Clear Lake Specs. Since joining BA all I have read about is how great this beer is, it has been on my wish list for a while now, and to finally see it at the store, well I was giddy. I could not wait to get home and open this bad boy up and at only 3.79, I am kicking myself for only getting one.

A- What a beautiful beer, golden orange and clear. Pours with little to no head and leaves little lacing. This beer is one of the best looking I have seen, I could watch the tiny bubbles all night.

S- When I first opened the bottle, the smell just reached out and slapped me! This is the stickiest, sweetest dankest beer I have ever smelled and it made me tingle with joy! Hands down the best smelling beer I have ever had, it is piny, and fruity it makes your mouth water just smelling it, I could smell this all night. WOW!

T- After I smelled this beer for a while, I finally tasted it and oh baby what a happy day, an explosion of hops, grapefruit, pineapple and happiness! What an amazing flavor, so smooth, tasty and just overwhelming, I can not say enough about how great this is, I am in beer Heaven!

M- Sticky, piny and just fantastic. It is smooth and not too carbonated, it goes down so nice, I could drink this all night. If there is a beer Heaven, this is what flows from the faucet!

D- Again, this beer is amazingly drinkable. It is complex, sweet, piny, and just perfect. I am just blown away by this beer.

Hop Stoopid has more than lived up to expectations, it has kicked them in the ass and made me it's bitch. This beer has made me so happy to be a craft enthusiast and I hope it is around Houston for a while, I need to go stock up! Now if only we could get some Pliny, Bells and Founders....

mmcary, May 08, 2009
4.63/5  rDev +10.5%

A great 22 Oz. bomber with the usual story told in conversational style on the side of the bomber.

Hop Stoopid pours a clear lighter shade of amber body with a white fluffy head that leave some lacing.

The aromas are of pineapple, citrus, and pine.

The first sip is the same with plenty some tongue coating resins holding the bitterness to the tongue. After it warms a bit the sweetness picks up with a touch of crystal malt in there.

The mouthfeel was sturdy with moderate carbonation. This reminds me of a bitter Bell's Two Hearted. A great double IPA in my book and priced well at 4.99 a bomber.

rtratzlaff, May 08, 2009
4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

Bomber to pint glass.

Pour produces little to no head. Pours an light orange-amber color. What little head there is appears to be white. Very light carbonation, I could probably count each individual bubble as it rises to the top.

Oh my dear god, I am in heaven. The nose on this is, to date, the best I have ever had in a beer. So strong on the grapefruit and other tropical fruits, so sweet yet balanced. I am incredibly impressed. If this isn't a 5 in the aroma department, I don't know what is. Very light bitterness is noticeable, mostly sweet fruitiness.

Is this too good to be true? The bottle claims "102 IBU's 4 U", which I don't doubt, however the bitterness is not as palate-busting as it is soothing. I am in utter shock, I had no idea that a DIPA could be this tasty. Don't get me wrong, I love my hop fix now and a again, but this is an entire new level for me. Citrus fruits and floral hop bitterness shine in all their glory, and the sweetness of the malt backbone gives an impressive balance. I am literally in love with this beer!

I just can't get over this beer. Honestly, the closest to perfect that I have ever had. Really, my only knock is the lack of head, but from my experience, most DIPA's don't produce large heads, so it comes down to the detriment of the style.

It's official, I am a confirmed hop head!

Mistofminn, May 08, 2009
3.85/5  rDev -8.1%

22oz into US Pint

A: Big kind of dense soapy head that was slightly offwhite and left nice lacing, color is closer to copper than orangish

S: wow, you can smell this at least a foot or two away , really just sweet citrus and resiny pine, not sure if there is malt in this thing from the smell

T: Sour tang that immediately gets into the nose and tastes very green and more like citrus peel than any particular fruit

M: Dry, tangy, sticky resin, fits the bill for this extreme IPA

D: Umm...it is hop stoopid so the name suggests this isnt' your daily IPA and I agree. A nice thing to try but once or twice...or thee times is probably enought.

waldoiverson, May 08, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

22 oz. bottle.

Brilliant clear golden body with a coppery middle. Frothy, lacy, sticky, off-white head. The nose just oozes hoppiness. Lots of big citrus, grapefruit, pineapple, pine resin, a hint of cat pee, and a whiff of sticky cannabis. Some sugary malt aromas get lost among the hops, but that's okay with me!

Light toasted malt up front, before a full on hop assault. To be fair, there is also some tropical, fruity sweet malt in the front end, but it mixes well with the pineapple and citrus flavors of the hops. Big resin and pineapple hop flavors feature mid-palate. Orange marmalade and grapefruit citrus flavors follow up. Bitterness throughout, but not too numbing. This is largely about huge hop flavor, not bitterness, and I am really liking it! Smooth, creamy feel on a medium-full body. Goes down too easily--especially at $3.99 a bomber...

alexgash, May 07, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +11%

This bomber poured a beautiful golden orange..with a nice dense cheesecake colored head
Aroma is Sweet and malty with a great citrus hoppy presence.
Taste is so clean and crisp. Alive with a perfect hop bitterness that has pine and mango notes. Love it.

Good mouthfeel with a very good carbonation. and absolutely drinkable...for 4.99 I would drink this every single day.

stonequarrywest, May 07, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

This is a fantastic DIPA. It drinks really well and is pretty much what you'd expect of a california 2IPA. There are certainly other beers out there that are more extreme but this one I don't mind having a few pints of. If you're a hop head, then this is a must try.

TheEremite, May 06, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +0.7%

I poured this one from a 22oz brown bomber bottle into my Fuller's straight sided pub glass. Interesting to see that this bomber had a twist off cap, my first experience with such.

A= This ale poured a brilliantly bright and clear deep orange color with a full 1.5" white head. The head was dense and never settled beyond 1/4". Lots of sticky lace left behind on my glass.

S= Nicely complex in the nose. There was of course a huge burst of piney hops, but I also found a fair bit of tropical fruit and caramel malt sweetness in there as well. No obvious alcohol presence.

T= Not quite as interesting as the aroma but still quite good. Lots of oily hops pushing a strong pine character up front. After that a fruity mango quality emerges, then disappears into a long dry bitter finish. A bit too astringent in the finish but not a deal breaker for me.

MF= Thinner than medium bodied I would say. Oily and a bit slick on the tongue despite the obvious and active carbonation release.

D= This was the first time I ever had this beer from a bottle and I think it was quite good. Very drinkable for a DIPA with over 8% abv.

spointon, May 06, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +12.2%

Pours a dark orange into my Allagash glass, nice 2 finger creamy head with some nice lacing.

Smells of pine and citrus, a little pineapple.

Taste is exceptional. Perfect balance of hop bitterness and sweetness. It has a clean crisp taste, almost refreshing.

Medium body with nice carbonation.

I can drink this all night long. It is one of the best DIPA's I have had.

LennyV, May 06, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -13.4%

a: fluffy head over a medium amber beer, reasonable retention with some lacing

s: basic caramel malt body with a tropical-citrus hop aroma - melon, grapefruit, mango - decent but lacking of the name-implied punch and that vivid fresh character that really makes an ipa, though the biggest downfall is the lack of malt complexity

m: light-medium carbonation and medium body

t: standard caramel and pale malt body with a blurry mash of tropical hop flavors, a bit doughy at times, bitterness disappointing at first but eventually builds to puckering levels

d: an easy drinking and satisfying beer, but pretty lackluster...maybe I'm stoopid, but I don't understand even the mild level of hype this beer garnered, first instincts are to blame the use of hop extract - but this is my first conscious experience of them, so I've no idea if the difference is real or perceived

bomber from Grape & Gourmet, Virginia Beach, VA

blackie, May 06, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -1.4%

A - One and a half fingers of bone white foam, settles slowly and leaves thick, sticky lace. The body is a golden-copper color and perfectly clear.

S - A strong, pineapple and grapefruit hop aroma. Definite malt backbone, with some light caramel and toast.

T - Sweet and hoppy up front with lots of pine and grapefruit flavor. The pine flavor takes over in the middle along with some toasted malt notes. The hops darken in the finish with some tobacco like notes and moderate bitterness that gets just a little bit soapy.

M - Medium-thick body, moderate carbonation, and a slightly sweet finish.

D - This is certainly one of the better DIPAs I have had. The hop aroma is very nice with all of the right notes. The flavor is balanced to favor hop character over bitterness, which is as it should be. The downside is that the flavor is almost cloyingly sweet and the extreme fruitiness of the hops exacerbates this characteristic. The somewhat soapy bitterness also hurts drinkability. In the end, this is a very nice DIPA, but for my money, Hopslam is still king.

nickfl, May 05, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

22oz bottle picked up on sale for 3.49. tried it on tap before and found it mediocre, but the price and the recent hype over this one made me want to try it again.

A- this one pours into my duvel tulip an extraordinarily see through amber colored body with a small, very sticky egg shell colored head that doesnt last very long.

S- intense fruity hops. mostly citrus (think grapefruit) but something more tropical can be smelled too. pineapple maybe. theres also a little bit of peppery alcohol. not very balanced, but not what i was expecting or looking for.

T- very hoppy, as the name and the nose would tell you. tons of citrus, and that tropical fruity pineapple i could smell. i also detected some caramel malt in the taste. still unbalanced, but it provides what it promises.

M- full bodied and rather thick with a good level of carbonation.

D- easy to finish and an easy way to get my hop fix. the price will have me coming back to this a few more times in the upcoming weeks. i wish this was year round, its better than some beers more than twice the price. i liked it alot more from the bottle than i remember liking it on draft. check this one out.

jwinship83, May 05, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A - Very amber body and decent head.

S - Intense. Grapefruit with pineapple, bitterness dominates the sweetness.

T - Bitter citrus and hops initially overpowering. Tasty though.

M - Very smooth, nice carbonation.

D - Surprisingly easy to drink though the alcohol content is prohibitive.

At start of a week in the US and this looked interesting in the beer store. Never seen this in the UK.

This does what it says on the tin, hoppy as hell. Almost offputting at the start but definitely a winner.

Stephen63, May 04, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

Pours the expected rust-orange/sunset color, though lacking the slight hop-haze many DIPAs have. Head isn't enormous but it's made of very small bubbles, tight and clingy, with webs of lace forming as it lessens.

Yep, smells stoopidly good. 102 IBU stoopid, I'm not sure, but there's a prickly pine itching the inside of my nose, and plenty of grapefruit to boot. The nose doesn't indicate a big fat malt base, although it's hard to tell without tasting it. Which I will gladly do...

A very resin-y flavor is at the forefront of this big-ass IPA. Tastes as orange-y as it looks. Hops are pushed forward, of course--not exactly a blitzkrieg attack but definitely the marriage of fresh pine and citrus rind that you want in this style. Lacks a significant malt base, yet there's enough there to keep it from being one-dimensional. Malt quantity being on the lower side (I'm guessing) is probably why this is prickly of taste and texture and not as creamy as many of the style. Totally tickles the tongue with combination carbonation and hop-mania.

I like this. It's not ultra-special, but it satisfies the hop jones and does it with freshness, authority and, oh yeah, big flavor. I prefer a maltier base in this style, and having just had the Longshot Double IPA, Hop Stoopid pales in its shadow. But still, this is perhaps the best Lagunitas brew I've had yet.

Metalmonk, May 04, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +8.1%

22oz bomber in Duvel tulip

A: Crystal clear, lite copper colored with thick, fluffy white head that leaves lots of lace.
S: The hops punch you in the nose as you pour it. Immense American hops aroma, citrus and floral with an obvious malt sweetness in the background, maybe a little bit of honey.
T: The taste matches the smell, lots of bitter citrus hops with some honey and light caramel notes. A little sweet on the tongue.
M: Very crisp mouthfeel, somewhat surprising given the big IPA category. Nice level of carbonation, on the high side, helps to dry out the beer so it is not so heavy like some others in this style.
D: This goes down way too easy, no hint of alcohol, just a big yummy hop bomb. I could see myself finishing one bomber and opening another just for me. I see why people compare this to Hopslam, this is a great take on the double IPA style. Highly recommended, I wish I could get this in KY.

wspscott, May 04, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Completely transparent gold. Not much of a head at all. This is one of the cleanest looking beers I have ever seen, but I'm not quite sure if that's a good thing or not.

S: Amazing smell of citrus, tropical fruits, and pine resin.

T: Hop bitterness is abundant, sometimes a little too much. I was also picking up hints of green apples.

M: Average for a DIPA. Medium bodied, but missing that syrup aspect that most beers of the style have.

D: Crisp & clean tasting. This has the IBU's of a DIPA, but drinks like a standard pale ale. Awesome.

gameface23, May 03, 2009

Reviewed on 2009-03-30.

Pours a light clear amber with a small white head into a snifter.

Nose is an intense citrus blend of grapefruit and orange, with a small bit of woody and vanilla notes trying to come through. Struck me immediately after opening the bottle. An intense and fully enjoyable aroma.

Mouthfeel is medium to light bodied, crisp, medium to low carbonation. Surprisingly refreshing for a double IPA.

Taste is all about the hops. I'm hard pressed to find anything else of note to mention. Citrusy and a little piney. A little of that vanilla showing through as it warms a bit. The bitter hop bite starts off a little slow and then builds quickly and lingers long after swallow.

This is a fantastic and surprisingly drinkable beer. Hoppy but never too bitter. Great citrus notes through and through help make it really refreshing.

frothyhead, May 03, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a nice Imperial Pint glass.
It's a nice crystal-clear orange color with a huge fluffy white head that leaves some fantastic lacing all the way down the glass.
The smell is a very upfront piney, resinous scent. When your nostrils recover, you can almost smell the pale malt.
The taste was very surprising. The bottle boldly states "102 I.B.U. 4 U", but the initial sensation was very sweet and slightly estery. THEN the hops come marching in to rough up your taste buds, gradually pushing that sweetness out of the way. Like the smell, the hops are very piney and resinous here with a hint of citrus, but the resinous nature makes it more reminiscent of pith than zest...not in a bad way though.
Mouthfeel is a bit odd. It's very smooth, a sensation that is enhanced by the sweetness of the malt, but there's this bubbly carbonation that releases around the sides and back of your tongue. Lets you feel just the right amount of body for this kind of beer as it bubbles it way in time for you next sip.
At 8% ABV, this libation is dangerously drinkable. You definitely know the alcohol is there, but you don't care because it's so damn delicious. And despite the 102 IBUs, which you are also acutely aware of, there's enough balance here to keep your palate from becoming overwhelmed. Why did I only buy one? Crap.
Final thought: though incredibly delicious and very drinkable, I wouldn't mind the sweetness being toned down just a touch. A great beer though; let there be no doubt of that.

xxthepatientxx, May 03, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

poured from a 220z bomber into a tulip glass - puts up a nice 1-1/2 finger head on clear tangerine colored liquid - heavily laces the glass all the way down - smells like a grassy, piney meadow -
taste is very 'fresh' - nice hop bite - aroma follows thru to taste -
piney and flowery hops dominate the flavor here - finish is clean, leaving my palate wanting the next sip - i've had a few of these over the last couple of months some warm, and some chilled to varied degrees, i prefer it chilled @ around 45 degrees - at $4.99 a bomber this is an excellent value - a winner from lagunitas.

JoeBloe, May 02, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours an extremely clear pale golden with a big, frothy white head that retains extremely well. GREAT lacing. Smells sweet malts, pine, melon, mango, just tons of aromas smacking me in the face. Taste follows up nicely with tons of hoppy goodness. Very resiny pine, grapefruit, citrus notes, cantaloupe, sweet candied malts, lots of stuff going on. Reminds me of Southern Tier Unearthly bot a little less cloying sweetness. Thick mouthfeel, extremely oily, hop oils coat the mouth. I cant stop taking sips...this 22oz isn't gonna last too long.

Doomcifer, May 02, 2009