Hop Stoopid - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Hop StoopidHop Stoopid

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: lou91 on 03-07-2007

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Stoopid Alström Bros
4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

A-Copper with a good head that leaves lacing

S-Big citrus hop. Pine hops are evident but citrus overwhelms. Malt not very present. Smells even better as it sits in the glass.

T-Big, big, big citrus hop punch. Pine hops follow the citrus. Nice and bitter but doesn't scorch the tongue. As the beer warms up the honey and caramel malt becomes more evident. Very flavorful.

M-Medium bodied with some slickness and some resin.

D-Quite drinkable. Alcohol is masked well but is more noticeable as the beer warms.

Had this beer once before and was not impressed. That bomber must have been old because this one I'm drinking right now is excellent. Glad I tried this one again.

Picked up a bomber from Abe's for $6.50 and split it with a friend. I have to say I'm kind of a fan of this beer. It's moderately priced and too strong (I prefer lower-ABV DIPAs). The aroma and flavor is dominated by piney hops with a hint of cinnamon and a bit of pineapple. There's also a sweet (maybe a little too sweet) caramel malt background. I'd like this beer a little lighter, but otherwise it's quite tasty.

4.04/5  rDev -3.6%

Pours a clear medium amber. Soft pour yields a modest head, bit of lacing.

Aroma is great: tons of citrusy, floral and tropical hops. Really smells like a hop head's dream.

Flavor is good. Not a sweet DIPA by any means. The scale tips big time towards the bitter, hoppy side. I wanted a little more hop flavor in this brew, as it is just really bitter for the most part. Maybe the exclusive use of hop oils and extracts in the brewing have something to do with that. Though, there is some bitter orange and grapefruit rind. Less resinous and piney than expected. Aftertaste is very bitter, and not terribly clean, but not bad. Medium mouthfeel is slightly harsh, but carbonation is good. Drinks very easily, I must say.

This is a good beer, but there are a handful of DIPAs I'd have instead of the Hop Stoopid. A great value, however.

4.45/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a clear golden orange color with a one finger white head that has great retention and leaves a good amount of lacing.

Strong citrus aroma with grapefruit and lemon quite evident. Some more fruit was detected a little later in, I seemed to be getting hints of mango and peach in there. Some pine also showed up in the background.

Once again, grapefruit and lemon abound in the taste. Towards the middle, some sweeter fruit flavors show up, I'm still getting some mango and even a little pineapple mixed in there. Piney hops and a bit of caramel malt make an appearance at the end and into the finish.

Medium body and medium carbonation. This here is one of my favorite DIPAs, hard to believe it is so inexpensive. I'm also impressed that such a flavorful DIPA is the product of hop extract. Lagunitas made it work and this came together quite nicely.

A: Served from a bomber into a 5oz. sampler mug. It pours a clear gold with a decent amount of crisp foam.

S: Smells of floral and fruit. Also piny as shit. I can tell its a strong IPA just by the smell.

T: Not nearly as fruity and floral as the nose led me to believe, but has good balance of flavors that kept the bitterness and alcohol level.

M: A little thick with the perfect amount of carbonation.

D: For an DIPA this is definitely one of the more drinkable ones. Lagunitas did a great job balancing the bitterness and the floral flavors to where drinking a bomber of this is easy to do.

Overall my first beer from Lagunitas was a pretty good DIPA, one of the best I've had to date. For the price I paid for it I would definitely get it again if I were looking for a DIPA. When I saw this the number of IBUs kinda put me off, but after manning up and buying it made me glad I did. It didn't taste nearly bitter as the IBU shows.

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Tall bottle brought back from the 'states by a buddy of mine. Great pick up!

Poured into a nonic glass. A lovely, light amber brew, with a terrific, frothy head that displays some remarkable retention. Loads of chunky lacing. Looks fantastic.

Nose is citrussy hops, bread n' biscuit, malt, lemon, flowers.

Hops deliver a big knockout punch at the beginning of each sip. Malt and lemon come through towards the middle, then the brew exits with a resin hop bitter finish. Excellent usage of hops here: not hoppy for the sake of being hoppy (despite the name), the brew is more of a showcase of the AIPA hop spectrum. Lingering resin bitterness on the tongue. Tangy and satisfying.

Slightly creamy, lighter on the carbonation. Almost like an English pale in terms of mouthfeel.

A great American IPA! I doubt I could drink more than a pint or two of this in an evening, but though it is potent, the flavor is an enjoyable one. My first Lagunitas brew, and it certainly was a grand entry. Looking forward to more Lagunitas brews in the future...

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

22oz bomber poured into a tulip.

Appearance: Pours about a two finger head with a light copper/gold color. Some good lacing.

Smell: Some grapefruit, floral, lemon, and pepper. A good hop flavor.

Taste: Just like it smells.

Mouthfeel: Moderate carbonation, and a light feel.

Drinkability: Very drinkable, I could probably drink 2-3 bombers if I wanted to.

My favorite DIPA or IPA in general that I have drank yet. For $4.50 a bomber this beer can't be beat. One of the best bangs for your buck when it comes to beer.

4.22/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours an orange colour with fluffy white head and nice lacing. Smell is bursting with citrus hops and some caramel sweetness. Nice bitterness in the taste, not overwhelming, but enough to notice it. Lots of hop flavour and a small amount of malt backbone for a hint of balance. This was my first ever double IPA that I tried, so I have a have a nostalgic love for it, but it is a really good beer.

4.28/5  rDev +2.1%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 1 pint 6oz bottle into a tulip glass. The label lists the ABV (8%), I.B.U. (102) and the O.G. (1.085). There is no noticeable freshness date.

Appearance: The body has a nice deep golden color with good clarity and plenty of active carbonation.

Smell: The aroma has bright citrus hops with notes of grapefruit and lemon over some nice spruce like piney notes. I am also picking up some sweet grain and alcohol.

Taste/Palate: Its medium to full body body starts with citrusy grapefruit and lemon hop flavor notes sweetened buy an almost candy like malt and alcohol. This sweetness slowly fades and the bitterness from the hops builds. The hop flavor notes turn to freshly cut spruce pine, resin and herbal bitterness which hangs onto the tongue and lingers long into the finish.

Notes: This is a solid hopy beer with nice West coast hop complexity. It is almost all about the hops so I would say that it is aptly named.

4.22/5  rDev +0.7%

It pours a crystal clear and warm gold. Two fingers of beige head settle gradually to a soft layer of froth. Berms of lacing curb the inside of the glass.

The aroma brings mellow toasted malt with berry and caramel. Then the hops layer grapefruit, pepper, lemon, and a distant floral note. A touch of pine pats a therm of alcohol.

Upon tasting, the malt is toasted and manageably sweet with caramel and a rounded fruitiness. A slightly buttery hint drops in the face of a classic hop blend of crisp grapefruit, oily pine, mandarin orange, and lemon zest. Peripheral pepper and floral tones are warmed by a flutter of alcohol. Lightly sugary residual grain is soothingly dried by an assertive but balanced bitterness, leading to a crisp, clean finish. Mid-sized and well-proportioned, it's a pleasure.

Medium bodied, the sticky malt, slick hops, and dry glow leave a worthwhile impression.

It's always a joy to find a high IBU hopster that gnaws a bit on the enamel but also lulls with an apt grain vs. hop balance, and so it is here. The ABV is moderately brawny, but it pales as the blending produces an easy flowing beastie. See, you don't always have to be extreme to be bold and brassy.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

A-Pours a nice light copper color fingers width head which recedes quickly light lacing.

S-Citrus up front mainly grapefruit with with a lemony breadiness nice hoppiness I am left wonting for a taste.

T-More of the same Citrus Hop explosion with a slight breadiness .

M- medium to light mild carbonation

D-As a Hophead this is highly drinkable for me and it being a bargain in my area which only adds another dimension to this aspect.

Prost!!

3.07/5  rDev -26.7%

Poured into a standard pint.

One finger white head that exhibits solid retention. Crystal clear golden body. Nice lacing left behind.

Smell is of piney hops and honey malts.

Taste is of pine, honey and cedar. Not very impressive.

Full bodied, crisp, well carbonated with a good bite.

Alcohol is well hidden.

4.12/5  rDev -1.7%

220z bomber, capped. Pours a light copper color and very clear with a stiff, foamy head.

Fragrant aroma of hops, both dry and piny, and a bit metallic.

It produces a hopped flavor, but it still quite balanced. It gets quite sweet and phenolic on the mellow finish, offering a pleasant contrast to the intensely hop spiked middle. The balance renders it quite drinkable.

It's not my favorite of the hop-holocaust varieties, but definitely compares well to any of them.

4.15/5  rDev -1%

This beer caught my eye a long time ago with it's name. It even further adorned my attention with it's low pricing. Finally, I'm getting around to review it after consuming it, God knows how many times.

It pours a very delicious looking dark amber with a copper haze in the middle. Nice off white head with decent lacing at the edges.

Probably my favorite part of this beer is the smell. My first time opening up a Hop Stoopid, I was thrown back. WHOA. That is some serious hoppage. Prepare to be overwhelmed, if not at least sated at the smell. Very strong citrus hop scent with faint grassy/piney hints. Pineapple and grapefruit in there. Slight sweet malt breadiness underneath as well. Also there is a faint hint of the alcohol, but it's very well covered by the hops.

Taste: "102 IBU4U" is what the label reads. It's definitely bitter but not palate ruining bitter(5 points for knowing my reference there). A very strong citrus zest hits the forefront of your palate with a slight doughiness underneath the whole time. Finishes very clean and bitter. Also lingers for a little. A hint of the piney hops as it washes down and a tiny alcohol sting.

Mouthfeel is nice. It's a dry beer that doesn't feel dry. Slightly resinous but that is to be expected of an extremely hopped up beer.

Drinkability is good, especially cause of the price. I could down a few a night.

4.7/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

No date on the bottle, but I'm pretty sure its fairly fresh.

Light copper in color that is crystal clear. I'm drinking out of a pint glass. Big foamy lacing throughout the session.

Holy cow, I didn't even need to put my nose to the beer to smell the hops. Citrus, flowers (I swear I smell Cascade, and I am a Cascade JUNKIE) Just opening the bottle assaulted my senses. I didn't even need to stick my schnoz into the glass. Can it really get better from here?

Oh my god it does. I don't give 5s too often, but this one deserves it. Apparently they threw a ton of different hops into this beer and some how the demigods that dwell within Lagunitas' brewing facility managed to balance the hell out of this beer. Granted I love bitterness and hops, what I love even more is balance. And somehow this beer has it. This beer is probably topping my list of American made American IPAs. Well, Pliny might have an edge on it. But this is still one f*ck of a terrific DIPA. This is going to be a regular in my rotation.

Mouthfeel is great. It's hoppy and crisp. Often times the taste of an IPA or an Imp IPA will continue to evolve long past you have swallowed it--sometimes good, but in my experience it just tends to get better--but not this beer. It gentle clings to your mouth, but it retains it's balanced hop goodness.

Incredibly drinkable. I don't know where they hide all that alcohol.

Bottom line: one of the best Imp. IPAs on the planet. Easily holds it's own against DFH 90, and Pliny the Elder.

Poured out of a bomber into a 12oz tulip glass

A: Poured a see thru golden color with a small head that quickly resides with decent lacing on the glass

S:WOW!! Hops, hops, and hops. Big pine and citrus smell here, defitnitly a Cali IPA

T: Very smooth on the first sip then the hops explode onto the palate, Failry smooth with the high IBU's and a little bit of Alcohol sting on the backburner

M:Fairly thin body, with decent carbonation and good mouthfeel

D:This brew has that bitter taste that you would expect in something with over a 100 IBU's...and I'm loving it. Reminds me of some other IPA's that I have drank prior, very easy drinkability and definitly one I will drink again

4.24/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 22oz bottle into .3L Krusovice chalice.

Appearance: Deep golden color with a bit of an amber hue and a tiny off-white head that leaves very thick lace (for its size) behind.

Smell: Earthy hop aromas are dominant, with wood, nut, and floral notes.

Taste: Begins buttery and toasty with a hint of earthiness at the top of the mouth, finishing with a strong, but very pleasant piney hop bitterness that also reveals some bittersweet alcoholic notes. After the finish, strong, woody bitterness is left in the throat and burps become a pleasure to taste, thanks to their hop character.

Mouthfeel: Medium to heavy body that begins somewhat syrupy, finishing very sticky before drying out on the palate.

Drinkability: Definitely a hoppy brew and one great for hopheads. It isn't the most complex brew as far as hops go, but it's still damn good and very affordable given the hoppy brews which may be better. Definitely worth a taste. I would definitely recommend this to any beer drinker with a developed palate, and would love to have this brew again.

4.22/5  rDev +0.7%

Had this one once or twice before but never reviewed it, either way I love that Lagunitas makes so many good hoppy beers for cheap. Pours a clear golden color with a decent white head that leaves nice lacing. The smell jumps out at you, with huge citrusy and piney hops, along with some honey, fruity esters, bread dough, chalk and alcohol. The flavor also has a big, juicy hop component upfront (notes of pine, grapefruit, pineapple), along with a honey sweetness, chalky astringence, fruity esters, bread dough and alcohol. The mouthfeel is medium, and drinkability is pretty good despite the hoppiness and ABV. Pretty damn solid DIPA, impressively fresh and juicy tasting and for a bargain basement price.

4.12/5  rDev -1.7%

A - Pours like clear gold into a pint glass with about one finger of head that doesn't last too long, but leaves behind nice lacing.

S - The best part of this beer! Smells strongly of pine, hops, and citrus, very inviting!

T - Has a nice hop bite to it, starts off as almost a grapefruit citrus that morphs into an onion aftertaste. Not my favorite when drinking beer only, but is nice when pairing it with appropriate foods.

M - Medium body with very nice carbonation. Coats the mouth and mellows very nicely.

D - It really is a great beer, I just wish the taste lived up to the aroma... enjoy this one, especially with the right food!

4.62/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer pours a smooth, somewhat cloudy, peachy, golden yellow. It has a nice white head. Doesn't stay tall for long, but always leaves a layer on top and laces on the way down.

Many beers don't smell that different from the next. The smell on this beer is incredible. As soon as I whiffed it inside the bottle, it had such a sweet, citrus-y character. Wow.

The taste followed up where the smell left off. Lots of grapefruit, a bit of evergreen needles / sap every now and then, my wife smelled lychee. Tastes / smells great on the exhale, too. Flowery, sweet, and just the right amount of bitter. It's a dynamic and very-well balanced blend of components.

In the mouth, it's good, too! It has a bit of a bitter / dry finish, but not too much. The sweetness is just right to balance it out. Even though it's 8% alcohol, you don't pick the alcohol out of the taste or feel at all. Just right.

Very drinkable! This is one of the few beers in my never-ending "find beers I never had before" quest that I would get again!

4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

A - Pours a nice clear gold with lots of carbonation bubbles. Half a finger white bubbly head that stays around forever. Lacing is good.

S - Lots and lots of citrus hops. Very sweet smelling beer, no alcohol that I notice.

T - Starts off with the sweet citrus taste, bitterness comes on strong after the initial sweetness. Quickly changes back to the sweet citrus notes. Slight alcohol burn appears with the bitterness but leaves just as quickly.

M - Very interesting mouthfeel, the tastes keep changing back and forth from bitter to sweet. The finish is mostly bitter, slightly drying. Medium bodied beer with lots of carbonation and a slightly oily mouthfeel.

D - Very drinkable for the ABV. I barely taste the alcohol, the malts and hops do a good job hiding it.

4.32/5  rDev +3.1%

Shared a bomber this afternoon with a friend. Very, very good---the smell is amazing. This is about at the top of my range alcohol-wise, as I tend to find high octane beers unbalanced. This one was very easy drinking and if I didn't know it was 8%, I would have figured lower. Great hops taste and bitterness in the finish. Nice head to the bottom of the glass. You like IPAs, you owe yourself to try this.

4.4/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Appearance:I poured a serving into a tulip glass, releasing the golden yellow, white topped beer. It looked clear and viscous.

Smell:Fruity hops all over the place. You can smell this from arms length away. Piney and citrus - bit grapefruit, some apricot and a whole bunch of flowers. Very sweet with a little bit of malt, but it is called Hop Stoopid for a reason.

Taste: Potent! Full barrage of hops - very West Coast with grapefruit, pineapple and peach. A pinch of pine and more floral hops. 102 IBUs this is. The taste lingers for a long time; the malt is there, but more as a solid supporting role. The hops keep changing with every sip, and different floral notes pop up.

Mouthfeel:Heavy and coating on the palate; medium carbonation and drying sweet finish.

Drinkability/Palitability:Surprisingly high for 102 IBUs. Very refreshing on a warm summer night.

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Color: golden, clear, effervescent

Smell: hops subdued, medium sweet with slight carmel overtones

Taste: strong alcohol with bright American hop character...some sweetness and a wet tasting finish; mellow hop (not very bitter) aftertaste.

Thoughts: Rather than an IPA, its like a very strong ale with hops (ha. Hop Stoopid makes sense....8% Alc. By Vol.).

Comments: If you like strong ales and hops, this is a good one to try. You get a nice taste of hops in the middle of every drink, yet a lower level of bitterness in the aftertaste
Compared to most IPAs. I would like to try it with Chinese food and with other dishes that have pork and lamb. I'm not confident of how it would pair with beef. For drinking
Straight, I always find myself going back to it. Its unique to me. I haven't found any beer quite like it.

A - a clear bubbly copper with a good off white head, retains well
S - piney, citurs, and floral hops, maybe some molasses maltiness, but the hops are very dominant as they should be
T - piney hops dominate, then some floral and citrus notes, and there is a nice metallic bitter at the end
M - good carbonation and hop kick, fading to a very pleasant dry bitter
D - Solid! If you want hops, you got em. Classic case of hop taste nicely the 8% ABV. Not for everyone, but definitely not just for the hop heads.

Hop Stoopid from Lagunitas Brewing Company