Hop Stoopid - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Hop StoopidHop Stoopid

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: lou91 on 03-07-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Stoopid Alström Bros
4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured a light honey color with two inches of head which fades to a half an inch. There is a lot of lacing. Looks like a good beer!

Smells mainly of orange candy, along with your standard citrusy hop scents. Sweet but pungent. This one really smells inviting.

Taste of olives, quality mustard, and pine with a sweet citrus and orange candy undertone. Bitter and sweet.

Feels good on the mouth, well balanced, a little sticky. Not too dry.

A good beer for its style, but overall a highly drinkable brew. Inviting, refreshing, and delicious. I could do a second bomber.

3.98/5  rDev -5%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a pint.

A: Pours a hazy orange copper. Produces about a half finger of white head that dissipates quickly with little lacing.

S: Scent is obviously hoppy with some earthy tones as well.

T: Citrusy and resiny hops dominate; however, not as much as I thought they would. There is a definite malt profile to balance things out.

M: Medium bodied with a slightly sticky mouthfeel.

D: While it may not be the hop bomb that others in the style are this should be appreciated by any fan of a good DIPA. The alcohol is well hidden and I could certainly throw back a few of these.

3.68/5  rDev -12.2%

A- pours a nice gold and a clear but not perfectly clear, head falls down really quickly and no lacing. it holds but not much.

S- highlight of this beer. Smells of citrus, grapefruit, and cut grass (think baseball) I am guessing cascades because this tastes like SN on steroids (again baseball!)

T- Very bitter and sweet, taste some burnt sugar as well as grapefruit. Was expecting more hop complexity in the taste but still good.

M- a little light on the carbonation, coasts mouth but not overpowering.

D- this is a good beer but as far as double IPAs go I prefer others. I would have it again though and probably recommend it, but go for hercules or hopsickle if you want something a bit more mind blowing.

edit- did I mention I got this at 7-11??? pretty cool and super cheap for the quality. 7-11 please carry more beers like this.

3.9/5  rDev -6.9%

This is my first review on here so I can only give you my impressions and taste reviews. In the end, I thought this beer was a great Sunday afternoon beer to have with a couple friends. Not something that I would have at a bar watching NCAA tournament games all day.

The grapefruit taste was very present initially and settled as the beer sat in the glass for a little while.

I would give this beer 3.5 out of 5 stars

3.53/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a pint glass.

a - Pours a golden color with an orange tint. About an inch of white head with nice lacing and moderate carbonation.

s - Smells of citrus and hops mostly. Some grapefruit, orange, and maybe a little bit of honey.

t - Taste follows the nose; lots of hops and citrus. Bitter aftertaste.

m - Medium body with moderate carbonation. Crisp with a bitter taste.

d - Thought this DIPA was pretty good. A nice ibtter taste and cirtusy smell and taste. Not as much hops as I would have liked, but very nice for the price.

3.5/5  rDev -16.5%

Poured into tulip, nice and light golden color with a decent sized white, foamy head. Looks to be a standard IPA. The nose hits hard on this one with intensely floral and citrusy hop aromas. I think I may love this hop extract. The taste, seems slightly bitter and very similar to the scent. This bottle may have been around awhile, as the hop flavor seems to be a bit subdued. Feel is light for a double IPA, also slick with an oily feel once consumed. Drinkability is above par on this one, alcohol content is also well hidden, making it that much better.

3.98/5  rDev -5%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle with no best by date.

Pours a clear copper color with a very slight head and decent lacing.

Very floral nose. There is quite a nice bouquet here. A nice grapefruit and general presence as well. Good sharp hop astringency on the nose.

A good balance of malt and hops here. Hoppy bitterness and citrus bite are complemented by a full malty backbone to go along with a pretty notable buttery presence. The sting of alcohol is also pretty prominent. On the whole a pretty nice and somewhat complex flavor that befits the style.

Mouthfeel is biting and buttery. Moderate carbonation and a good alcoholic presence that is not unpleasant.

On the whole this is a pretty nice, drinkable, and reasonably priced DIPA. Lagunitas is a more than solid brewery that really scores major points for keeping their prices respectable.

4.18/5  rDev -0.2%

A big, rocky, off white head tops the cloudy honey gold beer with orange highlights, while sticky lace envelopes the glass. Meanwhile, that big head is retained throughout the entire session.

Wow the citrus is overwhelming, beginning with orange peal migrating to pineapple and back again. Simplicity at it's finest.

My Hoegaarden snifter is thrilled to host the pine and grapefruit flavors, with all their bitter splendidness. The flavors are far from overpowering, and this is definitely a DIPA, with its lingering flavor profile long into the finish.

There is a moderate alcohol, with no warming in this full bodied slick and chewy offering. Punctuated by a dry finish and this is much welcomed.

One would be hard pressed to find an occasion where Hop Stoopid would be out of place. Simplicity has a hero, stooped as it is.

4.15/5  rDev -1%

22 ounce bomber poured into a snifter. Pours a very clear amber color. Pour produces big, off-white three finger head. Great retention and lacing as well.

Wow, so much citrus in the nose. I don't even have to get my nose close to the glass to smell aromas of grapefruit, tangerine, and orange. I think I'm getting some pineapple as well. A little bit of malt too, with some burnt sugar and caramel. So much citrus though.

Taste is a lot like the nose, but less intense. Definitely lots of citrus. Hoppy flavors of grapefruit and orange. Malt is there too. Caramel and biscuit. There is a nice balance here. It is definitely missing the explosiveness of the nose. Good amount of hoppy bitterness though. Some pine resin in the aftertaste.

Medium bodied. Slick, oily, creamy, and smooth. A little dry, but leaves an oily feel after it's gone. Carbonation is pretty good. Warming alcohol in the throat.

Pretty drinkable. I could easily go through the bomber. Alcohol seems to become more prominent as the beer warms. Very solid overall though, and available at a great price. My first experience with Lagunitas Brewing is a positive one.

Update: Found a bottle in the back of my cupboard that is more than a half year old. Aroma is still fantastic. Very hoppy and tropical. However, the hops have faded significantly from the flavor. It's quite sweet now. Flavors of tropical fruits as well. Alcohol seems a little more present.

4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

Tasted on March 5. After doing some grocery shopping with my wife, I picked up a couple bottles from the cooler section including a Hop Stoopid. To be honest I have been drinking a lot of IPA's and DIPA's lately and almost passed on this one for something different. The fairly inexpensive $4 price tag made me say "what the hell" and grab it anyway. Boy am I glad I did! We split the bottle between two glasses and instantly I had some concerns. The color was a typical dark gold but was extremely clear. The head formed about 2 and a half fingers of white effervescent bubbles on top that quickly dissippated. It seemed to be force carbonated and filtered. The smell made my hopes go way back up. Big tropical aromas were present. Pineapple, mango, and passion fruit were way over the top. The taste echoed the smell with the big sweet tropical flavors and light hop bitterness. Could this really be 102 IBU's? It did not seem so but was nice none the less. The mouth feel felt a little thin for the style but made the drink easier to down.
I'm starting to think there may need to be different classification for DIPA's because some are big bitter bombs and others like Hop Stoopid, are more tropical. I like the latter style better and will tend to look for more like this in the future.

3.65/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Poured from a 22oz bomber into a large wine glass. Beer is a golden orange, with maybe a hint of amber. Fairly clear as well, with little to no sediment. There is a large two-finger head and a good deal of carbonation rising up from the bottom of the glass. Great head retention and lacing.

Smell: Good hop aroma, with the typical citrus fruits in the nose. There is a bit more malt present than in other DIPAs, and I detect some dark fruits as well.

Taste: The malt in the aroma was a definite indicator of what was to come. I expected a little more bitterness (with the high IBUs listed on the bottle and all), but all things considered, this beer is fairly well balanced. Good creamy feel to it, with maybe a touch of alcohol detectable.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with good carbonation. Again, I think I could have used a bit more punch from the hops (which is a surprise, given that the bottle boasts a hefty 102 IBUs).

Drinkability: Pretty drinkable DIPA. I didn't have a problem with the bomber, but it might get a bit too sweet after awhile.

3.55/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a Dogfish Head signature glass.

Appearance: Pours a nice, radiant orange-amber that is crowned by a fluffy two-finger head. The head dies down quickly but still maintains it's present over the surface of the beer, while leaving a small amount of lacing on the glass. Not a hazy IPA by any means, but it's a beautiful color, especially when held to the light.

Smell: This brew is actually not brewed with leaf or pellet hops but rather with hop extract, and this is very apparent in the smell. It smells like a syrupy, caramel malt extract, which is not particularly attractive to me, but let's see how it tastes.

Taste: The hop/malt extract character still carries over to the taste but the hops do come out a bit more in the taste. It's good beer, but I can't help notice the artificiality in the taste. There's not a whole lot of complexity to the taste.

Mouthfeel: This is not a particularly thick DIPA but it has an adequate body. It does, however, leave a bit of a cloying taste on your palate.

Drinkability: As a result of this false, syrupy taste and the cloying hops, this is not a particularly drinkable brew. This bomber is not difficult to drink, though.

Overall, I was pretty disappointed with this brew. Using hop extract was not the correct strategy in brewing this beer, in my opinion. It's got some decent flavoring to it, but it's not very well put together, nor is does it feel very authentic. This would not be the first DIPA I would reach for.

3.35/5  rDev -20%

A - Pours a good color with a decent head that dissipates rather quickly leaving behind moderate lacing.

S - Moderate smell. nothing great or too hoppy.. i saw someone say this is as close to hopslam as you can get on east coast and i have to disagree. it does have that slight grapefruit earthy smell to it.. not much in citrus or floral hops..

T - Tastes a tad thin but ok.. not as hoppy as i like the malt is pronounced here as well. i do taste the grapefruit here almost the rind of the fruit.. mostly that taste.. i do kinda like that... i prefer a bit more citrusy however..

M - bitter almost sour like drinking grapefruit juice.. i do like that as i kinda like the bitter/sourness..

D - Pretty drinkable as it is a tad thin if you ask me. Not a flavor east coast hop bomb like a smutty big a ipa or even a southern tier unearthy but it is along those lines.. just a bit weaker... The price makes this one a great buy. I probably won't see this out again; however, the price is very right so i think it was well worth it..

4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

A- Poured into a snifter... first pour produces a very light head that lingers. Second pour is slightly more impressive, leaving a small amount of lacing on the walls of the glass. Beer is an orangish color, mostly clear with the exception of a tiny bit of sediment

S- First impression, a whiff straight from the bottle smells like pure grapefruit juice. From the snifter it smells mostly the same with the addition of a bit of sweetness

T- Definitely hoppy, but a bit sweeter than what I get from most west coast IPAs. Being an east coaster, I still find it to be quite tasty. Keeps a consistent taste from start to finish with the hops mostly, but not completely edging out some sweetness

M- Light/medium body with light carbonation. Leaves a pleasant bitter aftertaste lingering in your mouth

D- With exception to the high abv and difficulty of consistantly finding it in my area, I would consider it very drinkable... if I find more I'll definitely buy it

CHHERS!!

4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

A - Has a bright orange/yellow color to it. Small amount of head, dissipates fairly quickly.

S - Smells very sweet, I got a lot of honey, flowery hops, and some citrus.

T - Tastes bitter, but not as bitter as many DIPAs I've had. Nonetheless, I get bitterness first, with some sweetness later. The bitterness lasts and I get a bitter citrus aftertaste, not unlike a grapefruit rind.

M - Feels smooth and somewhat oily. Similar to a jammy wine.

D - Very drinkable. It has great taste and is light enough that I'd be more than happy to settle down for some march madness with a case of these niners.

4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

A: Clear amber color, lots of white head...lots of lacing.

S: Tons of hop aroma, a little caramel. Maybe some grass thrown in too. Citrus, citrus and more citrus.

T: Tons of citrus hops, a little malty caramel.

M: A little bite from the bitterness, not overwhelming though. Good carbonation.

D: Fairly drinkable, I wish it came in 12oz, I would buy it more often.

I suppose it lives up to what it says on the label. Lots of bitterness. Not the best IPA, and not my favorite, but I'd buy it again.

3.65/5  rDev -12.9%

APPEARANCE: Light golden color. A nice, quarter inch head with a variety of bubble sizes scattered throughout fairly quickly faded away before the first sip was even taken. As the head fell, it left a solid ring of lace around the top. Lacing continued and left a very cool verticle pattern which I have not seen before.

SMELL: The first sniff gives almost no hint of hops. It has a straight forward, but not overpowering malt smell.

TASTE: With the initial sip, the malt smell seemed to come through in the flavor. Despite the tip off in the smell, I still expected a Lagunitas beer that was 102 IBUs to taste quite a bit less malty and more hoppy. After a few sips I could taste the bitterness, but it was almost an afterthought to the malt. Notes of honey were also present, and when combined with the malt it was a very sweet beer.

FEEL: Tiny bubbles seem to grip your tongue at first, but they quickly let go and melt away leaving a gentle tickling sensation on the way down. Quite pleasant.

OVERALL: Full disclosure - Lagunitas IPA and Lagunitas Maximus Double IPA are two of my favorite beers of all time, so I was expecting Hop Stoopid to be one of the best beers I ever reviewed. Unfortunately it ended up just being too sweet for me. I understand that's what happens with a lot of double IPAs, but I'm still looking for that perfect beer - a genuine double IPA that is bitter, dry and not sweet - this was not it. At the same time it is still an excellent beer, but sadly, doesn't meet the high expectations I had for it.

3.85/5  rDev -8.1%

Severed in a 22oz snifter.

A- Clear orange/copper. White head that left quickly with a thin layer a thick bubbles.

S- Very hoppy, citrus, grapefruit, and a weird grassy/earthiness. Alcohol well hidden.

T- Hoppy, grapefruit/citrus, that weird grassiness, bitter, nice long hoppy, bitter finish, malts came through later in the finish.

M- Thin, fizzy/light carbonation.

D- Pretty drinkable, even on an empty stomach.

Overall, I really wanted to like this beer because I love super hoppy Double IPA's. Not bad, but there are better out there.

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

Closest thing to HopSlam that I've found, besides the Weyerbaucher Simcoe Double IPA. Pours a nice caramel color, with a thick 1" head. Smell is of grapefruit, pine, and perhaps pineapple. Taste is bitter, citrusy, and some definite hops. It's very well-balanced though. The 8% is hidden well, and I'm sure I could throw back a few of these without realizing its strength. Would definitely have this beer again.

4.22/5  rDev +0.7%

This beer poured a gold color that had hues of red and orange in it. The bubbles were loosely laced, but definitely there and noticeable. The head was foamy and white, and held itself up longer than average. It smelled of piney and citrusy hops. My favorite! It's touted as having 102 I.B.U.4.U. Here it goes. Hop bitterness hits you up front with some fruity malt traveling behind it with a bit more bitterness lingering on the tongue. The alcohol is noticeable, but not obnoxious. The mouthfeel is a bit lighter than average, but that's not always a bad thing

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a golden orange color with a nice sized white head. Aroma is full of hops. Citrus, pine, and tropical fruit are all present.

Some toasted malt sweetness is noticeable upfront and that quickly gives way to lots of hop flavor. There is a bit of citrus along with grassy and slightly herbally hops. Plenty of bitterness but not too much. One of my new favorite IIPAs and it is very well priced.

3.7/5  rDev -11.7%

A tasty drink, but not my favorite IPA.

A: Beautiful golden/amber/ochre/sun-orange. Very clear, no hazing, full 2 finger head recedes within a few minutes. leaving minimal lacing, but some beautiful trails of head on the surface. A gentle swirl will agitate a new creamy head.

S: What you would expect from a beer of this IBU. Citrus forward grapefruit covering up mild caramel/toffee.

T: Hops! all over the tongue, bitter on the sides, the hop oils linger about halfway through the drink.

M: Smooth, bitter on the tip and sides of the tongue.

D: Very tasty, I want summer to come, and I want a backyard bbq with some ribs...

3.73/5  rDev -11%

22oz bottle poured into a tulip.

A-Medium gold in color. Brilliantly see through. Two fingers of doughy white head that leaves some ridiculously sticky lacing.

S-Very citrusy in smell. Grapefruit is dominant. A teensy bit of pineapple. Floral hops smell great here too.

T-Hoppy right up front, then seems to mellow out a bit. Citrus fruits take over leading into a bit of malts and earthy flavor. Nice balance.

M-Too carbonated. It's almost like I feel every drop of it going down my throat. Dry taste in the mouth afterward.

D-About what I'd expect from an 8% abv DIPA. Nothing special here. My only issue is the high carbonation. That doesn't take away much from an otherwise very good DIPA

Overall, a solid brew. Was expecting a bit more from each characteristic, as it came highly recommended to me by a friend. Pours a nice amber color, but was expecting a bit more from the head, although it was still not bad at all. Smell was fairly hoppy, as was the taste, but I was expecting a bit more with the 102 ibus. Still a nice brew, just didn't quite reach the level i was expecting it to be.

4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

22oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

A - Pours a brilliantly clear amber gold with a cap of fluffy off white head about a half finger high. Tons of lively carbonation bubbles rise out of the bottom of the glass and serve to maintain the head for an extremely long time. Sticky lacing is left behind as this beer quickly disappears out of my glass.

S - Loaded with citrusy goodness. Tons of grapefruit here. In addition, a good amount of pine and rounded out by pineapple. Just a little bit of malt shows thru - a touch sweet in a sugary way and the faintest bit of caramel.

T - Firmly bitter with lots of hop flavor up front. Pineapple and pine are the dominant flavors in this, although grapefruit and some tropical flavors make a strong showing too. Nice, slightly sweet, caramel malt backbone. Alcohol flavors are not overpowering, but certainly contribute to the overall flavors.

M - Body is on the thin side of medium bodied. Carbonation is ample, filling the mouth with prickly bubbles and a slight foamy feeling. Resiny hop oils seems to hit every corner of the mouth...feel like I'm inhaling evaporated hop oils and alcohol as I breath in...I think this is clearing my sinuses too.

D - Over the long haul probably a bit high on the carbonation...give a bit of a bloated feeling. Think I could by burping this all night long...alcohol is on the high side too to be really sessionable, but it tastes so good, I'd be willing to give this a try. I've had this a number of times and every time it is enjoyable...a fresh Hop Stoopid is right up there with the best of them.

Hop Stoopid from Lagunitas Brewing Company