Hop Stoopid - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Hop StoopidHop Stoopid

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: lou91 on 03-07-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Stoopid Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

Appearance: pale copper-gold, good clarity, huge bloom of sudsy yellowy foam with great head retention

Aroma: like walking through a hop field on harvest day; plus fresh-cut braeburn apple slices, wild flowers, pine needles, passion fruit, and malty caramel

Flavor: medium malt sweetness and a lot of fruitiness (particularly fresh passion fruit); hints of tangerine marmalade, Earl Grey tea, and hibiscus flowers; finishes semisweet with a surprisingly smooth and balanced hop bitterness

Mouthfeel: medium full body, pert carbonation, a slight chewiness, and some alcohol warmth

Other comments: The fruity elements in the aroma and flavor of this beer are incredible! Very tropical and lush. This beer teeters on the edge of needing a little more bitterness and being just right. At first it starts to be a little to fruity and sweet, but then it gets dried out just right by that quite perfect bittering level. I'm pleased that it's not overly bitter, as I expected it to be. This is damn good and would be really interesting to try on cask, if they even serve it that way.

GreenCard, Mar 29, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

NCAA basketball and uber-hoppy beer? Yeah, I think I can make this work.

Appearance - A very nice light copper color. Very clear. Much clearer than many hop bombs. Great bright color. Half inch of very nice head. Good lacing, nice trail of tiny bubbles reaching for the sky.

Smell - From across the room! Wow. Lots of hops. Comes with some of that pine resin. Sticky almost. But balanced by citrus and grapefruit. Very aggreeeassssive. God it smells good.

Taste - Fantastic. Wonderful. It starts off with that piney hop, but it has a great citrus backbone. It really mellows it out, and provides a sweet tartness. The finish is perfect. Not astringent or bitter, but sweet and lingering. Just when I thought it was going to go all piney/bad on me, it mellows out and gets sweet. The hops linger on the tongue forever, but get a little sour as they hang around. That slightly unpleasant original grassy pine is all that keeps this from being perfect.

Mouthfeel - Very nice. It's crisp, and not too syrupy. Refreshing and not too heavy. Good carbonation.

Drinkability - Pretty damn good. It's delicious, but not sure how many I could put away. Absolutely no hint of the booze, however. Ok, having finished this guy much more quickly than expected, I have to revisit. This beer is insanely drinkable. Goes down probably too smoothly, it's just begging me to get into trouble.

Wow. This is a fantastic beer. It belongs right up there with the best IPA/DIPA's out there. Almost surprised this Lagunitas, since I'm not always impressed with their offerings. This one is just fantastic however. A great hop balance, and sweetness. Great job. If anything, I am underrating this one. I would need to line it up against my favorite IPA/DIPA's in order to properly evaluate it. It's certainly in the conversation.

callmescraps, Mar 29, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

pours a light orange/amber color with small head and average lacing...smell is pine and hop and citrus it smells good..the taste is better then the smell it is outstanding... it stars out with a hop smack and big pine and floral hits really delicious but not at all bitter at 102 ibu it then gives you a delicious hit of pine and grapefruit other herbs and floral flavors for the palette with a nice malt finish... this dipa packs an unbelievable flavor for 7.7 abv its is outstanding... iwill match it with hopslam,double trouble, 90 minute even pliny its that good... the mouth feel is the same..this is a great dipa that is way to drinkable... its one of my favorite dipas i highly recommend this one..less than $5 for the 22 oz bomber makes it a good buy i am not the biggest fan of langunitas brews but this should be their flagship

gatornation, Mar 28, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours a crystal-clear medium gold with lively carbonation. Fluffly white head lingers nicely.

Big hop aromas with more than ample supply of piney, herbal notes, with citrus playing the backup role. Nose reminds you of a certain distant cousin of the humulus lupulus plant.

Palate is dominated by a big bittering hop addition, but is adequately balanced. Citrus is a little more pronounced on the palate than on the nose. Mouthfeel is nice and full, with hops and malt combining on a long, bitter finish.

So far this is the best Lagunitas offering I've tasted. A great beer for hopheads with more than enough bitterness, aroma, etc., without double-digit ABV. A better-than-average price makes this a no-brainer.

oldhippie247, Mar 28, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Pours light orange/golden with white head that retains well.

Nose is a light citrusy bliss, aimed towards lemon and ruby red grapefruit.

On the palate the ruby red grapefruit comes through, with delightful tartness, and other miscellaneous tropical fruits in the background. The mouthpuckering grapefruit never leaves center stage, however. Gentle biscuity malt is in the balance, but overall this is one whopper of a citrusy IPA.

yemenmocha, Mar 28, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +11%

Wow, this is an interesting beer. I won't go as far as saying it's the best double IPA I've ever had, but I will say it's the most unique, and I dig unique. Very clear, vibrantly orange with a large and particularly fluffy and foamy head. This beer also has a lot of rising bubbles going on, like soda, and keeps it up almost the whole time it took me to drink it, which wasn't long. Again, unique. Super resiny lacing as well. Smells strongly of piney, citrusy hops. Taste however is much less bitter than I would have thought, given the pungent nose. Don't get me wrong, it's amazing. All hops. Big, luscious, juicy fruity pineapple melon mango hops. No pine bitterness at all as suggested on the first whiff. It's really crazy how much raw hop flavor this beer has yet such a low bitterness, though it claims 102 IBUs 4 U right on the label. Must have something to do with the hop extraction technique they used. Taking the actual physical hop out of the beer and adding it in extracted syrup form is an interesting idea, and I think they may be on to something. Slight honey sweetness (I hear it's infused with honey) and a faint pale malt. I could've easily given the taste a 5, but I tend to like bitter beers actually so I wouldn't mind a little more bite. But then it would just be another good but un-unique double IPA, and this beer is more than that. Super soft mouthfeel, light and airy. Almost feels like beer flavored air going down my throat. Highly drinkable can't get enough want it all the time. As a note, the label states a 7.7% abv while this site says 8.2%. This is truly a unique beer and I've really never had anything like it.

twelvsies, Mar 28, 2009

From notes. Bomber into goblet. Pours clear, golden orange, 1 finger head fades to film and ring, leaves lacing. Lightly active.

SMELL Caramel malty sweetness mixed with floral and citrusy hop notes is very pleasant. Smells like a pretty good IPA. It's also a bit piny and boozy. It's very pungent, and pretty rich. Very nice.

TASTE is a little grainy, but with strong citrysy hop flavors, and some floral notes. Malty sweetness is identifiable, but not really caramel. All of this is accompanied by a moderately sharp bitterness. It is quite balanced and clean.

FEEL medium carb, medium/full body, slight warming, vague drying influence with clean finish that is just a tad bitter.

OVERALL Not wicked filling considering its size, tasty, clean. Stands a bit above most of the the pack. A good value for the price. I think Maximus is my favorite of the Lagunitas IPA's.

sprucetip, Mar 27, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

Edited review 10-13-10. The last two bombers I've had have been very dissappointing, where's the citrus jolt? More malty and sweet than i remember. Last nights bomber was from Bestway so i know it's fresh. Maybe my palate has changed a lot, last nights brew was a B DIPA at best, and nowhere as good as Maharajah or Hopsickle.

I was surprised to say the least. In an ocean of average to good brews this one surprised me. Love Hopslam? This one is as close as it gets. Citrus on the nose right off the bat, grapefruit. The 1st sip carries thru to the taste buds, from the fruity citrus nose. Love this stuff, and at a better price than Hopslam. One very worthy brew. Easily worthy of buying by the case, and there isn't many I would say that about. Let me be clear I do love this Ale, and the comparison to Hopslam is in regard to the style not the over all quality. Hopslam is truly unique.

nc41, Mar 27, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

22oz bottle $4.29. One of the better DIPA's I've had in a while. Pours a very clean darkish copper with an medium head and decent carbonation. Aroma is big resin pine and citrus. Flavor is very crisp and fresh. More big pine, citrus rinds, malts. This is one of the most dry, bitter and surprising brews I have had in a while.

brewbucker, Mar 26, 2009
4.18/5  rDev -0.2%

22oz bottle served in chalice

A: thin head but crystal clear light copper color, and low carbonation.

S: wow, intense, but pleasant. I got pine, pine, pine with some citrus. close to juniper but not exactly.

T: great hop flavor without being too bitter. doesn't taste as piney as it smells. Not gin like at all. There is bitterness but not as much as you would think for an over hopped beer. However, the hop forward flavor doesn' t allow any malt to come through. could be balanced better.

M: medium to light body with a smooth feel in the mouth, the low carbonation helps. Not as coating or sticky as I would have thought.

D: a drinkable hop bomb. I could have a few of these.

A unique beer overall that really does hit the spot. Holds up to the hype.

Naugled, Mar 26, 2009
3.33/5  rDev -20.5%

Poured into bubble pint glass. Poured a clear deep yellow color with more than a 1/2 inch of slightly off-white head that left a medium amount of lacing.

The aroma is strongly dominated by a piney hop scent with slight citrus hop undertones.

The flavors are completely dominated by the pine, none of the citrus hops show through on the tongue. There is also virtually no malt taste for the hops to cling to. This beer is almost like drinking watery pine tar.

Surprisingly solid body for a beer so lacking in malt. Perhaps because of the pine tree ground up into it? The hop taste really coats and sticks to the tongue, almost to the point of being annoying.

Drinkability rates low because half way through you're starting to suffer from palate fatigue. This beer is too much of a one trick pony to have several of.

Overall a pretty good beer from a brewery I like a lot. Worth trying and having again, just not more than 1 at a time.

beertunes, Mar 26, 2009
3.73/5  rDev -11%

A finger of steam rises up out of the top of the bottle immediately after the cap is popped, and goes right up the nose with smells of honey and hops.

Pours crystal clear light copper color with swarms of fine bubbles running from bottom to top. An inch thick cap of tightly bubbled orangey-beige foam rises up and slowly sizzles down.

Inviting aroma of sweet tangerine and floral notes, some honey and cinnamon.

Flavor is a good balance of malt and hops. Starts out sweet citrus, morphs to honey and fruit, moves to grapefruit rind, then piney bitterness builds, followed by a hard-edged burnt marshmallow. Pine and honey linger. An odd sweetness rides benath and rises up and intrudes on the bitterness occasiionally.

Moderate mouthfeel, a little slippery, not overly full or creamy. Tasty beer, pretty drinkable, but something about it isn't coming together for me.

far333, Mar 26, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -6.9%

Bomber poured into trusty pint glass.

A - deep golden amber, great clarity to this brew! Nice fluffy 1 inch head. Great lacing throughout. This beer is certainly carbonated nicely.

S - Soooo, there are hops in this beer? Huge blast of pine hops, undertones of fresh citrus and grapefruit. Slight alcohol esters present, no sweet or yeasty notes detected. This one tells you it is all about the hop.

T - A slight letdown from the aroma, hops immediately hit you, but not nearly as strong as the nose would imply. After the initial hop bitterness, there is a big drop off in taste where a healthy dose of malt would balance the hops well. Instead, there is only a faint malt base, but I gotta say the beer is very smooth and the lack of malt does not kill this one for me. Finishes crisp and dry with one final hop kick in the pants.

M - Smooth and silky, medium body, really good carbonation.

D - Surprisingly good, could have a few of these and not walk away with a completely obliterated palate, my sobriety would be in question, however

All in all, I was a little perplexed with the difference between the nose and the overall flavor of this dipa, but as it warmed and the deeper into the bomber I got, the more I enjoyed this one. Will definitely revisit this one soon.

bwd110, Mar 25, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

Served into a tulip from a bomber this beer pours a nice golden orange hue with a 1 finger head that stays on the glass from start to finish. The smell is fantastic. I could pick up strong grapefruit notes, honey, and pine perhaps. The taste is bitter at first with a good sweetness to mellow it out. As this beer warms I am really liking how it becomes lighter on the palate. This is a fantastic Double IPA and should be bought when found.

ROBORB, Mar 25, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

The clarity is excellent. I can hear the piper from miles away. A white cap that wisps against the walls, and a few bubbles rushing to the surface.
The song was one of olde, the aromatics of grapefruit thrown against a freshly cut pine sapling, lying next to the mound of freshly tilled earth and the piles of freshly cut grass. I can hardly remember the melody, but my heart leaps when I hear it...
The balance is excellent, orange cream-sickle with the peel thrown in, a dense malt-syrup note that is overridden by the bitter finish, but leaves a sense of completeness, of wholeness. Funny how something so bitter can yet be so sweet... it's the way of art, I suppose.
And the feeling is full, almost creamy, with the finish being dry. However, the spiciness could have been brought out far better had the carbonation been a bit higher.
One would love to perch atop a hill and hear the piper in the fresh breeze, as this beverage was consumed. One would hardly believe the apparent level of bitterness, for it seems to be easily enjoyable, far too easy to throw back a twenty-two quickly. I close my eyes and picture the scene... A small price to pay for this experience. Four dollars, ninety-nine cents! A small price indeed.

khiasmus, Mar 24, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

From a brown 22 oz. bomber, this version is 7.7%. Pours out a burnished copper hue in appearance with impressive clarity, crisp and clear as they say. Tall tight cream coloured head that recedes slowly, leaving thick foamy horizontal watermarks of lacing in its wake, and valleys of hoodoos forming the remaining cap.

The aroma is every hop bomb lover's dream come true, a clean robust olfactory slap and tickle of pine needles and ruby grapefruit rind. Notes of orange, citrus, and a mild earthy spice as well. I wish someone would make this into a perfume or cologne...

Flavour is surprisingly clean throughout, some buried semblance of what could be an unobtrusive biscuity malt holds up the well-behaved stampede of 102 I.B.U.'s worth of hops body surfing across the palate, where an explosion of astringency occurs on the finish and well into the aftertaste. One might have to wait for low tide until this lingering hoppy aftertaste finally subsides. Yeah, the use of hop extract was really well-played in this instance. Definitely not a balanced ale, but certainly uniform and consistent.

Mouthfeel is fuller yet smooth, and lacks the slick oiliness that I was anticipating on the finish. There's a bit of a soapy texture, but really hardly noticeable considering the how high the hop presence actually is. Very well contained.

What can I say, you know why you bought this bottle--buy the ticket and take the trip--and it delivers the goods in a civilized hoptastic manner. A great DIPA, I'll definitely be going back for more.

IronDjinn, Mar 24, 2009
3.95/5  rDev -5.7%

Let me tell you guys a story. It's a happy story, a sad story, a hoppy story, a stoopid story. This is about the first time I had Lagunitas Hop Stoopid.

I have to tell you all I was skeptical. Despite being relatively new to the beer game, I'm a bit tired of hop this, hop that, "THIS hop bomb is the new hip thing, blah blah." Look folks, I've had both the Plinys, and I really can't fathom a hop bomb being significantly better than both of them. That said, I drink every hyped up DIPA with a grain of salt. This was no exception.

It poured a tall, clear, light amber color with a tall, fluffy white head into my dad's tall, clear pilsner glass. Very good looking beer with pretty respectable head retention. Nice so far.

The smell was even better. Big time hops. Like what I imagine walking through a west coast hop garden (orchard? vineyard?) would be like. Big time pine and grapefruit.

I brought the glass to my lips, very excited for what lay before me.

Jesus H., that is a LOT of hops. This beer hits you in the face with bitter. I don't know what the other reviewers are saying about this thing not living up to the 102 IBUs; I can't even believe the amount of bitter hoppiness in this beer.

I swear to you, my first reaction tasting this beer was. oooh man. Jokes on us, people. Lagunitas is CLEARLY just mocking all us beer geeks with this one. "Ha ha, look at those little fools falling for anything that puckers their little hopholes."

You know what this is like? This is like the time I stole a hop pellet from the Stone brewery tour and ate it. Seriously. That much concentrated hop flavor.

I kid you not, an hour and a half and one toothbrushing later, I can STILL taste the bitterness on the back of my tongue. I even used that little tongue scrapy pad on the back of my toothbrush! Ridiculous.

I didn't like it. At first. But as soon as my tongue poked its head out of its invisible turtle shell, I was back in business. My little 'buds were freaked out for a minute there, but things were getting better. A lot better.

With every sip this beer improved until I accepted it for what it is.

Hop Stoopid is not a balanced beer. It's not.

What we have here is a beer intended to see just how hoppy we can get a beer and still have it be enjoyable. And I think that is exactly what it is. Any hoppier and this stoopid little guy would not have been tasty at all.

The mouthfeel is dominated by the tightening of my tongue muscles near the bitterness receptors, but other than that, it is pretty clean. Not a lot of residual coating or burn from the high ABV or carbonation.

Drinkability is pretty damn high when you consider the ABV and IBU. Despite feeling a bit tipsy, I could have kept going after the bomber was gone.

A gimmick beer, maybe, but Hop Stoopid is just stoopid enough to work.

photomike, Mar 24, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -6.9%

22 oz bomber I picked up at Green's off Ponce in Atlanta, GA. Been hearing a lot about this beer and when I saw it was less than 4 bucks for a bomber, why not? Served up in my trusty DFH shaped pint. LETS DO IT!

A: Well, it looks like a good example of some DIPA. Has that golden orange color that is pretty vibrant. Held to the light, a bit more yellow shines through. This beer has some cloudiness to it, and kudos there. The head was about a half finger that fell quickly to a thick white ring. That ring does have good deal of retention and it has a good amount of stickiness to it. Got some web like lacing on the glass. Getting a very lazy amount of carbonation from the look. Still its above average, but its not amazing.

S: Holy balls, we found the hops. Getting a ton of hops presence from many different areas. First hop smack is that pine resin you just can't miss. Getting some citrus hops with a healthy, breakfast sized serving of fresh grapefruit. After that comes a bit of earthy/spicy hops that has some medicinal bite to it. You get just a faint amount of some pale malt, but I think I may be stretching there. Gotta give it props because it does live up to its nam fo sho.

T: Yet again, hops going on here. This is actually almost too much at time. This beers hops seem to roll like a wave. At first its not too bad, you get some nice citrus presence that is cool and refreshing. Then rolls in the pine resin with some bittering quality. The next wave is big time grapefruit that is actually puckering. Finishing here is that medicinal spicy and earthy hops. Just a ride on the bitter train. The malt half heartedly attempts to cool a bit, but to no avail. There is no way this pale malt can compete with the fuggin hops in here. I was torn between a 4 and 4.5, but I docked a notched because it really does at times feel like too much. Call me a vagina, I don't care.

M: This is a medium bodied brew that has that serious DIPA stickiness to it. I mean seriously. Sticky hops goodness rests on the palate almost undisturbed. Hard to get rid of. The palate is attacked with bitterness and this beer finishes very dry. This is really the only gripe I have in the feel category. The dryness kills the refreshing quality you get as you first sip. Nothing quells that dry feeling. Carbonation is pretty good. Aftertaste is tons of pine resin and medicinal hops.

D: Okay, I want to start off by saying I really enjoyed this beer. It truly is a trip to Hop Town. Tons of hops just really assault your palate and really challenge your palate. The smell is amazing. The hops just pour forth. The only bad spot is that dry feel. Really kills the drinkability for me. It is almost a chore at times to finish this off. With that said, I finished and I survived, and I enjoyed the experience. For the price you can't beat it, and absolutely worth checking out. I know I will pick up another from time to time to kill my palate.

everetends, Mar 24, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +6.2%

A= Pours a deep golden amber color that's completely clear and a small head rising and falling so fast I barely caught it. Not too interesting looking but I do enjoy low carbonation IPA's so maybe this will be a sweet a treat fro me.
S= First thing I notice is how ridiculously sweet it smelled like pineapple. The smell is quite fragrance coming off of this beer. citrus is heavily played on as well. Like an old orange almost comes to mind. One that's lost all of it acid and is just plain sweet. Pretty impressive.
T= Just like the smell led on its got a certain sweet hoppiness to it. Pineapple comes in to play but has fallen to the heavy grapefruit taste. If there was a pinefruit or a grapeapple or something this would be what it tastes like. Very nice
M= Lower carbonation like I expected. Very smooth and delicious
D= Pretty high. The alcohol % is a little frustrating its so good actually. Really gonna enjoy this one and I'm very happy I decided to try it. Awesome beer.

jjanega08, Mar 24, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -6.9%

22 oz bomber poured into shotglasses for a fraternity power hour w/ straws. Just kidding.

When I opened up the bomber I smelled the hoproma right away, no need to pour it into my challice. Poured it in anyway, appearence was mild, modest head, thin, irregular lacing.

Aroma is a beast, it smells like a lot of hops. I wonder what it will taste like. I recognize that grapefruit boquet from some other heavy hitters. Brace for enamel erosion.

Pungeant, bitter. Especially hard hitting on the middle of the tounge. Seems to be virtually dextrin free, this is that west-coast "lets worsten the hop shortage crises" mentality that I read about. Quite insane.

Mouthfeel is pretty cool, oily with hop resins setting to work on my teeth like SC Johnson scrubbing bubbles. Hop oils seaking out and coating remote corners of my mouth that I had only daydreamed about on an absinthe bender.

That said, not terribly drinkable, a thin body but leaving you needing a significant break after each sip.

Over all, not exactly my thing, but certainly good for folks with a particular agenda. Amply named, since I can feel my neurons and dendrites getting humulene lube job.

YesFest, Mar 24, 2009
4.93/5  rDev +17.7%

Poured from 22oz bomber into a Lagunita's pint glass.

Appearance: Dark copper in color, pour shows a minimal size head, lots of bubbles flowing up the glass, lacing and retention are nicely shown.

Smell: WOW! Holy pine! This has a truely unique aroma. Lots of pine, citrus properties, and a huge wallop of grapefruit. A tinge of herbal grass notes are here but completley drowned out by such a big hop presence. One of the best smelling DIPA's I've come across.

Taste: Amazing taste, again, lots of pine and citrus up front, a small malt backbone is present but barely noticeable. Hops are fresh, sharp and very resinous. Lots of hop oil aftertaste in the finish here. No detectible alcohol in the taste, fruity esters give you a nice kick in the pants on the final stages of the sip.

Mouthfeel: Nicely carbonated, a bit wet but after having this, I wouldn't want it any other way. Malt presence is very small and it makes this beer on the lighter medium bodied side. Bitterness from the hops tops this beautiful beer off nicely.

Drinkability: I now completely understand the hype behind this diamond in the rough of a beer, if you love hops, you'll fall in love with this beer. At 7.7 ABV and only $4.00 a bomber, this is by far the best beer for the money I've ever had. The aromas are unique, the hops blast your tastebuds like a machine gun, and it goes down so easily, it would be hard not to have another bomber of this in a sitting. Lagunita's has always been a favorite of mine, but this brew has solidified this notion. A beer that every hop head should have in their arsenal at ALL TIMES! Truly a masterpiece.

thespaceman, Mar 23, 2009
4.85/5  rDev +15.8%

In an oversized wine glass.

Clear copper, big pale head.

Smells like pineapple, pine, and citrus.

Taste: Sweetness up front, but then huge hops come in and they more than balance the sweetness. Hops profile is delicious, same as in the nose. Alcohol less noticeable than other examples of the style.

MF: medium body, not as thick as Hopslam or Hopsickle. Nice carbonation.

Drinkability is insanely high for the style. Tastes so wonderful, but isn't so big and boozy that you have to drink it slowly. Such a delicious beer. I want to do a side by side with hopslam, because I honestly am not sure which I like more. Highly recommended.

Jimbo87, Mar 22, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Bomber split with a buddy and poured into a pint glass.

3.5 A: Crystal clear light orange color. Frothy head dissipates quickly and leaves a decent amount of lacing.

4.5 S: Funky citrus and pine. Unique. Smells like it was dry-hopped for too long or something, but it still is amazing.

5.0 T: Holy shit it's good. Chock fucking full of hop flavor. Has the same citrus & pine funk in the smell. Bitterness perception is really really low, the 102 IBUs can kiss my ass. Awesome balance with crystal malt flavor packed in. Truly as awesome brew at an awesome price.

3.5 M: Medium body and could definitely be more creamy. This is the biggest flaw in the brew.

4.5 D: The taste is so damn good, that it almost eliminates the problems with the mouthfeel.

DavoleBomb, Mar 22, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

I've been reading a lot about this and the last time I had it on tap I was pretty gone so my only recollection of it is "double IPA." I was at Olive Tree today and figured I'd give it a try.

Pours a clear dark gold with a massive head. The retention is outstanding, leaving scattered abysmal caverns as it recedes after five minutes. The lacing is thick and is everywhere on the glass.

The aroma has grassy and herbal hop notes to it, with some grapefruit. There's a sweet caramel malt backbone that makes for a well balanced aroma. No alcohol is noticeable. Hop extract, eh? Interestingly enough, the bottle reads 7.7% ABV, rather than the 8.2% listed on BA. Anyway. The label says 102 IBUs and I'm not sure I believe it. The hop bitterness is medium and decently balanced with some sweet crackery, bready malt. There aren't a lot of interesting hop flavors like I was hoping for. There's no overwhelming citrus (though it is there) or pine. The finish is bitter and the citrus is a bit more noticeable here, as well as the alcohol. Pretty good but nothing extraordinary here.

Medium bodied with good carbonation. The mouthfeel is sticky.

Overall it's a very solid offering, but nothing stands out. I'd like to try this on tap and see if it's any better.

HopHead84, Mar 22, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

Scored a growler of this, courtesy of the Lagunitas gang. Vielen Dank!! ;-)

Pours a medium golden hue. It is fairly clear, with no haze or cloudiness at all. Carbo is spread thin and slow moving. Head is short, stark white and fine. Recedes rapidly to a thin layer, mostly a rim-job, leaving nice lacing in the glass. Aroma is robust, with rindy grapefruit and even a touch of something mangoish. Body is a decent medium; no more, no less. Has a smidge of prickliness, but is mostly a smooth operator on the tongue.

Some malt sweetness hits the palate, with some subtle biscuit action present. It then quickly gets resiny and piney, with loads of pineapple and grapefruit slathering the mouth and tongue. These rindy lupulins linger long and hard. Overall? Not bad; decently made, though a little strong on the rindy character. The ABV also makes itself known thoughout the quaffing session.

Prosit!!

4.1
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | drink: 4

Bierman9, Mar 21, 2009