Hop Stoopid - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Hop StoopidHop Stoopid

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: lou91 on 03-07-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Stoopid Alström Bros
4.7/5  rDev +12.2%

This one pours a nice clear copper with a thin white bubbley head and slight lacing on the edges. The nose is a beautiful blend of citrus hops and a touch of pine. Just fantastic all around. The taste is just like the nose with a slight malt backbone. The hop flavors just give it that delicious sweet then bitter finish. This is my favorite style of hop blend. The mouthfeel is lively and nice carbonation. The drinkability on this is outstanding and the price is unreal $4.99! ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME??!!

ShrLSU, Jun 15, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +5.7%

pours a nurnt orange color w some copper hues. whidpy white head, not too much lace.

smell is robust with hops and maybe a touch of grapefruit. pine and citrus alc in the back.

taste - delicious. very well balanced dipa. not too hoppy, but oh so good. a little bit spicy

i could have several of these in a sitting. light mouthfeel but medium heavy bodied. gawd i dont know y i waited so long to have one of these.

cheers

Newmerator, Jun 15, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

22 oz. bomber. Poured out a clear yellow with a hint of burnished orange. The head was cloud white without very much retention or lacing. The nose was very tantalizing. When I read people referring to a piney flavor I always know what they mean, but it is like a description utilizing an approximation; a best guess. This, however, was the real deal. It smelled like a walk through the woods around my house up in Maine. A mixture of fresh spruce and white pine needles carpeting the floor. Another memory that flashed to mind was decorating a Christmas tree. All that amazing smell trapped in a small, candlelit living room with snow piling up and frost crystallizing against the window pane. It is an alluring smell and if women wore perfume like this I would have trouble concentrating on anything. Ever. The taste had more of that tasty pine zest along with a fruity backbone. It ended with an excellent dry finish.

GreatPondBrewer, Jun 15, 2009
3.95/5  rDev -5.7%

pours a clear pale orange with a small white head, and good lacing.

smell of hops caramel, earth, and dry leaves.

taste is smooth, hops, caramel, and dandilion, ends dry and slightly bitter.

very nicely made DIPA, very fresh hop feel and taste, a winner.

froghop, Jun 14, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

I poured this from a bomber and found a pale golden color. The aroma was fragrant with hops and had a strong grapefruit component. The ale had a medium mouthfeel. The taste was hoppy from the start with a nice citrus flavor in the beginning that turned more flowery by the finish. The aftertaste was a combination of wonderfull floral hops and alcohol warmth.

strengthdoc, Jun 14, 2009
3.98/5  rDev -5%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a pint glass.

A - A crystal clear orange amber with a thin head that retains decently. Almost no lacing.

S - Lots of fresh pine and floral hop aromas, with a hefty pineapple and grapefruit backing.

T - The bitterness is upfront and uncompromising, but the sweetness and the floral lightness compensate, helping one get over the tongue lashing hops.

M - medium carbonation and a thin body. nothing spectacular, save for the oily feel of the hops.

D - The high ABV and tough hop bitterness do hurt its drinkability, but I could definitely finish this bomber myself.

overall: A serviceable IPA that, while being perfectly enjoyable, fails to really distinguish itself from the DIPA crowd. I'd definitely buy it again, but that's only because Pliny the Elder and Hopslam aren't available here.

DannyS, Jun 14, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

They should probably change it's name to "The Real Ruination", because this beer destroyed my palate much more efficiently than the offering from Stone.

Pours a surprisingly clear golden hue, of which i later learned is probably due to the use of a hop extract, rather than whole leaf hops or pellets. AAAhhh reading the bottle can be so informative.

Well here is where i graded to style. The style being Super Hoppy Impy IPAs. The amount of hop character is absolutely overwhelming. I was taken aback at the bitter flavor this soulless heathen beer inflicted upon my virgin tongue. I feel violated, like iv'e been palate raped.

Anyhow, after several more sips, i am enjoying it more and loathing the next sip less. The aroma of grapefruit and orange is quite pungent and rather pleasant. The taste is quite boozy for an IPA, but you hardly notice it through all the hops.

Mouthfeel is oily slick and hop spicey.

Yeah, the drinkability is a bit low for me. I am a hophead, but for some reason this beer is a bit of a challenge. Real oily and bitter. Damn, i still have two-thirds of a bomber left.

JAA, Jun 12, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Ding Ding.... I have a winner. I favorite dipa to date

appearance: golden, amber, reddish

smell: loaded and more loaded hops and citrus aroma

taste: this beer is loaded with hops. very solid double with heavy grapefruit flavor.

mouthfeel: good carbonation and drinks thin

drinkability: very easy and smooth. Loved it and great price.

CampusCrew, Jun 11, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

Hop Stupid into NBGG

As I cracked open this bottle, I could already smell the amazing hop and citrus come through, it actually made my mouth water.

Color is a clear bright orange/gold. Pours a 1 finger slightly yellow off white head. The head is very thick! Very thin amount of lace at first, but once it warms up a tad, the lacing is amazing. It is a wall of lace!!! Gorgeous! It had great retention. With the great head retention, it makes this beer mighty fine looking. 4.5

Aroma: Huge on the floral and pine hops. Wow. Grapefruit citrus, orange peel, and pinapples. Very bready/biscuity malts.

Taste: Hops, hops, and more hops! Pine and floral hops shine through best. A touch of booze, but nothing bad. Some citrus notes, big on grapefruit. The orange peel is a little present, but not so much the pineapple. Again, the malts are very bready.

Mouthfeel: Very bitter. Leaves a well defined aftertaste of hops, leaving the mouth extremely dry. Medium bodied. Carbonation is medium, but it feels just right on the palate.

Overall, well I am on a somewhat empty stumach as compared to normal when I drink beer, but I am already feeling a buzz after going through about 12 oz of this beer. Yes that is kind of sad, but I was in the sun all day and am kind of dehydrated. Once it get through the rest of this bomber I may be well off for the night. It is good, but potent. I want to drink more and I will!

mothman, Jun 10, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

OK so this brew is hopefully not one of them I'm going to stuff as many IBUs in this as a can and who cares how the flavor turns out, brews. Pours golden with a large white head. Aroma is hops as expected, mostly piny sticky hops which is the best kind imo. Some grapefruit and peach wich is nice. This brew is hoppy, a little more bitter than a PtE which I just had, but a solid malt flavor to keep it from being overbearing. This hop bomb deserves to be in the elite with the x2IPAs as they've managed to balance bitterness with flavor and some sweetness in there as well. Not quite as good as PtE but close. Good Job Lagunitas, this is easily the best I've had from this brewery.

mbrasi, Jun 10, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

The brew is a beautiful coppery honey color with great clarity. An enthusiastic nearly white head settles to a finger and leaves a ton of lace from where it settled. Head sticks around for a good while as I drink it -- lacing is impressive.

Piney and floral hops, a bit of citrus. Some honey-sweetness in the nose.

Delicious hop flavor with a nice sweetness balancing it. I would swear this was brewed with a bit of honey if I didn't know otherwise -- impressive use of malt despite the hopped-up character. Bit of breadiness as well. The bitterness increases as it goes, and the hop character drifts from sweet and floral to a bitter and piney aftertaste that sends me right back to the glass for the up-front sweetness.

Medium body, carbonation is creamy and mild. if something doesn't have a dry finish, does it have a wet finish?

I want some good cheddar, but I'll live without it. I foresee no trouble finishing this bomber.

thryn, Jun 09, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

big bottle ->duvel tulip

golden copper, big and foamy bubbly head that didn't last long but capped it well and laced fairly

huge ipa smell, lots of resiny pine and citrus, mainly grapefruit with a nice roasted malt backbone

taste is slick pine hops up front with a strong grapefruit hop flavor backing it up, some bisquity malt to round it out it isn't as balanced as it could be

nice feel although somewhat thin, not as much bite as there could be, but really smooth,

i'd love to drink one of these bombers on the regular, but that'd be it, not gonna drink this all day or i'd be done pretty quick

carp420, Jun 09, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +9.3%

Big foamy head is small bubbles--a big plus in my experience. The bubblies begin to dissipate quite quickly, though a full cover remains even after the pour has settled. Lacing residuals leave their mark where the foam hath faded. When I looked at the beer immediately post-pour sitting on the kitchen countertop, I thought it was light; here in the living room I think it's on the browner side. In line with my skin tone analogies, it's got a decent yet unevenly tanned body.

The smell is citrusy, grapefruit hop goodness. It conjures picturesque images of California beaches, complete with coconut oils blowing in the breeze. The carbonation seems to bring each refreshing smell into my nose subtlely--like bubble by bubble. Maybe I smell some grassy pine playground in the background. Each time I waft for new aroma, the smell is consistently impressive. It's like oranges and pineapple fruity. This beer smells like it's good for you.

The taste is fruity, and sweetly delicious with an unmistakable presence of enamel-pulling hop. I love that juxtaposition. This is the balance I'm looking for: lip-licking Vitamin C-type flavor palatable enough for a Southern belle, compacted with a hoppy bitterness that makes teeth and taste mesh in savory sensation. Put more simply, it's well-balanced, citrusy hop bomb. I've never deemed a beer worthy of an "exceptional" taste distinction, but this is one with which I consider it quite carefully. If I knit-pick for negatives, it's a little light for a DIPA. It's like a West Coast Hopslam without that rip-roaring double-digit ABV. With genuinely no disrespect, I consider it like a Hop Layup...but that's kinda stoopid.

The mouthfeel is terrific. The acids, the hops--it's like music in my mouth. I've already alluded to this balance but it's like the longer you allow the beverage to settle and sit, the more you confirm this is indeed a harmonious mixture. Though its light and tangy qualities defy most of the DIPAs I've experienced, this is a special (and legitimate) hop monster worthy of its name [see other reviews for failing and misleading "Hop" monikers].

This one really deserves some credit for its drinkability. Thankfully the distribution is solid enough here in the Carolinas for this to be my craft beer summer go-to. It's a light and refreshing DIPA! Are you kidding me? Eight percent ABV makes this the most sessionable hop bomb I've ever encountered. At $4.95 after its 3,000 mile road trip to my specialty shop, I'm tempted to do $30 sixers every time (it's really more like $30/12 since they're 22oz bombers)! Labeling Hop Stoopid exceptionally drinkable is a real no-brainer. HA!

marvin213, Jun 07, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

I have to admit, I am not the biggest Lagunitas fan. I find most of their year-round brews to be quite unremarkable. However, their newer beers are popping up and they are changing my opinion of the company. Heres my review of Hop Stoopid:

A: Pours a very nice golden color. Lots of bubbles coming up from the bottom. Pretty clear with a nice white, frothy head. Lacing is left with each sip.

S: Smell is very complex. Lots of pine, grass, citrus. Not an overpowering aroma, but very pleasant.

T: First off, this is quite a bitter beer. Like and IPA should be. Flavor has got quite a bit of hop complexity. Lots of pine, citrus, mango, grass, earthy hops, and a touch of bready malt. Very hop centered brew. Finish is a little sudden, which is a bit of a letdown. Doesn't linger as much as I would like. Excellent nontheless.

M: Actually pretty light in the mouth. Pretty bitter and dry finish. Good carbonation. Would have liked a bigger body, but is still very good.

D: As I mentioned above, the body is pretty light, which to me, adds to the drinkability. 8%ABV is a little high, but compared to a lot of IPAs out there, its pretty middle of the road. I am putting down the bomber pretty quickly.

Overall, I think this beer is great. Not the best IPA I have had, but easily in my top 10 IPAs. Lagunitas hit a grand slam with this one. I actually enjoy this beer alot more than 'the big guns' like Hopslam and Dreadnaught. This is more 'in your face' and not as balanced as the two I just mentioned. Excellent beer and highly recommeded.

OldSchoolGamer, Jun 07, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +6.2%

Bomber bought from BevMo in Salinas in June 2009.

A - Nice two-finger head recedes to show some solid lacing on the glass.

S - No surprise here... HOPS in all caps and bold - grapefruit, citrus, a little pine. Outstanding nose, best I've smelled since PTE. I could keep my face in the glass all day long.

T - Again, true to the name, hops, hops, HOPS. Not a whole lot of malt, almost entirely hops, so make sure it's fresh. But as long as my palate is fresh this is a fantastic taste.

M - A bit light, but that just makes this a great summer beer, suitable for the heat.

D - Like I said, great for the heat. Light, refreshing, hoppy as hell. The ABV is up there, sort of, but not too excessive. I could drink this all day and all night (and I have).

Overall - this is one of my very favorite beers. People compare this to PTE and Ruination, and I feel like it's squarely in the middle. Considering the availability, cost, and taste, this should be near the top of anyone's list for a go-to beer. It's the kind of beer that keeps my faith, and keeps me coming back to craft beers again and again. I love it.

djmichaelk, Jun 07, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

I had tried this earlier this spring and couldn't find it anywhere after that. My local just happened to get a surprise case and I think I ended up buying a good bit of it.

There is nothing that really stands out about this beer, other than how drinkable it is. It is really crisp and obviously very hoppy. The most amazing thing is the value of this beer. For $5 a bomber you really get your money's worth. I have been pretty impressed with all o the Lagunitas I have sampled and ths is no exception. Great taste and great value.

mirish72, Jun 07, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

The appearance of this one was good. My buddy was drinking hopslam at the same time I was drinking this and we compared the two. It looks just like hopslam, with that orange straw color, but this one was filled with less sediment and cloud. It did come to a head the was respectable, and it stayed for a while.

The smell was really nice, with a honey spice hops smell. This was nice, really nice especially since the brew did not meet my incredibly high expectations.

The taste was really good with a hops characteristic that was followed by many hints of the citrus honey from the hops. There was also a mild malt feel that added a fuller characteristic to the brew.

The brew went down nice, and bounced around the tongue fairly well. I was just hoping great things for this good brew. Overall good, not going to repeat unless on tap or special circumstance.

J

Jmoore50, Jun 07, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bomber poured into a collector's Boilermaker glass (Boilermaker is a 15K run in upstate New York).

Amber color, thinner in consistency than one might expect from a DIPA. The head retention is medium with the head being loose and light.

Smells of strawberry, women's perfume, and citrus soda (Mountain Dew, Sprite, you get the idea). I like it. It's sweet and fragrant.

Lots of hops upfront with grapefruit joining in shortly thereafter. The grapefruit arrives late and leaves early with more hops and vegetal flavors on the back end. The finish is short and leaves a little to be desired.

It's a very drinkable DIPA. It's tasty, thin, and doesn't dominate your senses. And at 5 bucks for a bomber, this is worth going back to often. A very good DIPA at a great price. People stack this up there with HopSlam, Pliny, Ruination, etc and it's not even close. But it's solid, nonetheless.

TequilaSauer, Jun 07, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -6.9%

Pours a dark amber colour with a generous head. The nose is great with grapefruit, a little pine resin and just a hint of brown sugar. After a big initial grapefruit hit with an early piney element which quickly wanes there is a more subtle almost minty herbal bitterness which comes through. Not particularly sophisticated or complex but well above passable. More please!

charlatan, Jun 06, 2009
3.88/5  rDev -7.4%

22oz bomber consumed on the balcony.

Clear amber color with a two finger One finger white head. Plenty of lacing.

Grapefruit and lime hit the nose. Plenty of hops as well... duh.

This is a sweet one! Citrusy hops, honey and a good warming feeling accompanies a dry finish. No chance could I have more than one bomber at 8%.

This just hit me as being OK. I've had a dozen IPAs better than this, but a $4.50 price tag makes it more appealing.

rudylaw, Jun 06, 2009
4.18/5  rDev -0.2%

Picked up a bottle at Sprouts back in May.

Beer poured golden orange with a thick white head that is leaving nice rings behind as i sip this. Nose is quite nice, citrusy hops are huge and fresh. Taste is good, decent amount of malts blend fairly well with a huge amount of piney-citrusy hops that are leaving an oil slick behind. Mouthfeel is full and very smooth - quite satisfying. Drinkability is good. This is a very nice beer with a nice price. Recommended to hop heads!

arizcards, Jun 06, 2009
3.93/5  rDev -6.2%

Delicious, if thunderingly unsubtle.

Pours a lively golden with a vast fluffy head and great lacing. The aroma is absolutely gigantic, piles and piles of floral and citrusy hops, though not as powerfully grapefruity as has become fashionable lately. The hops have a bit more pine, a little lemon. But still vast. The flavor follows along precisely, all hops all the time, rolling waves of flower, pine, and citrus. The alcohol is muted and the grain is largely lost behind the wall of hops. The one weak poitn is the mouthfeel - it is excessively sticky and resiny, leaving a sticky sweetness around the lips, which is great for a soda but a little weird in a beer.

Seanibus, Jun 05, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +0.7%

Got this beer from Gordon's Liqour store in Waltham, MA

A- typical west coast look orange bronze.

S - smell of pine and citus notes.

T- Hazy pine not bad for a IPA

M - Heavy carbination with a strong carbination.

D - I would not have a problem drinking a lot of these.

Casey10, Jun 04, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

Bottle into pint glass. Pours deep gold with only a slight veil. Resiliant head that gives off a strong pine smell with a little grapefruit underneath. The beer displays truth in advertising: The flavor initially is a pure pine bomb with only a slight malt sweetness to provide balance. After the hops put on their prolonged one-note show of rich bitterness, the complexity emerges. The finish takes on your taste buds from all sides, giving your throat a dry smack with a bit of citrus sweetness on the tongue. If you don't enjoy a big hop show, give this one a pass. I usually prefer a little more malt balance in a DIPA, but I like this one. If you enjoy a beer that mixes brute force with just a bit of grace, Hop Stoopid is well worth your time. Pair with sweet & sour pork or a sweeter Thai dish such as pad see ew.

chicagobeerriot, Jun 02, 2009
4.55/5  rDev +8.6%

Bottle notes- poured from 22 oz bomber. Label notes 102 I.B.U.s at 8%.

A- pours like any other DIPA. Little head that disappears after 5 mins.

S- Amazing. Smells like fresh new growth on a pine tree. It's a smell that's appealing- you sniff, only to want to sniff it some more.

T- Pine notes. Extreme crispness. Absolutely f'in delicious. One of the best DIPAs I've tasted. Reminds me of 90 Min Dogfish mixed with Sierra Nevada. Imparts a great notion of 'freshness'.

M- feels crisp. Very, very good.

D- You'd only want one of these, but you'll enjoy it the whole way down. I'm Hop Stoopid; Lagunitas is Hop Brilliant. Amazing stuff. If you like hops, you HAVE to try this beer.

ShogoKawada, Jun 02, 2009