Hop Stoopid - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Hop StoopidHop Stoopid

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: lou91 on 03-07-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Stoopid Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

Had yet another long day at work today and thought I would crack this open. Poured 22 ounces into a British pint glass. Pours a copper, amber color, with a decent head and some lacing. Smell is slighly alcoholic and citrusy. Taste is hoppy, citrusy, slightly bready with a subtle, but surely appreciated malty backbone. Moderate carbonation in the mouthfeel. Overall, a great IPA.

jdubjacket, Jun 02, 2009
4.15/5  rDev -1%

Thin foam spreads across the surface, interspersed throughout are large bubbles, otherwise a tightly knit layer of eggshell white, wide streaks of lacing. Very light haze to the metallic zinc orange hue, glows warmly, the rims retain more orange than yellow. The nose is undoubtedly hoppy but in no way lacks for honey molasses, caramel tones, this in turn sweetens the orange, pink grapefruit citrus as well as the floral dew, the peach, apricot, apple fruit cruises below the radar, really nothing exaggerated nor "stoopid" about this array of scents. Full-bodied, fluffy carbonation lacks precision but fills up the mouth with breadth. Honeyed bread, caramel, molasses meet up with a certain mineral water freshness to staunch excess sweetness. The hoppiness here is strong but nothing unusual, just loads up on the grains, grasses and thick yeasts. Some ginger and pine but, overall, doesn't look to bite real hard. Carbonation continues to swirl through the finish.

farrago, Jun 02, 2009
4.97/5  rDev +18.6%

22 oz. bomber, courtesy of my brother Matt in CT. Thanks once again bro! Another fine selection (and one in which you probably didn't know I've been looking for). I've heard a lot of hype on this brew for a long time here on BA and elsewhere, and I'm please to say that this one lived up to its reputation.

Decanted carefully, pours crystal clear orange, almost gold. Not much of a head to it, but excellent carbonation and nice lacing. If it had a bit more of a head on it I'd give it a perfect 5.

Grapefruit citrus aroma hit me as soon as I cracked the bottle, and is just perfect as I sip on it. I could sit here sniffing this stuff all night, but it tastes too damn good! Flavor is similarly citrusy, but has a more diverse variety than just grapefruit. I'm getting sweet lemonade, pineapple-orange. Just lovely! A damn near perfect DIPA in my book.

Mouthfeel is crisp and appropriately dry, making this an extremely refreshing and drinkable libation. I would keep my fridge stocked with this brew constantly if it were available in NH.

Lagunitas (Lah-goo-KNEE-tuss -- I've been saying it wrong ever since I first heard the name): Please please start distributing to New Hampshire!

markskar, May 31, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

22 oz Bomber poured into glass.

Appearance: nice dark amber - solid head retention down the glass.

Smell: Hops, Honey, Grapefruit

Taste: Citrus - Honey - Apricot - Grapefruit - Tomato - Ginger - Mustard Seed.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied - nice and soft tannins

Drinkability: Very drinkable - easy session Double IPA - I recommend this for the IPA drinker that likes the citrusy - lighter fruit - apricot IPA's - not tons of dark malts in this one - although there is a hinting innuendo of dark chocolate malt on this finish. This is a great.

LauraAlberts, May 31, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

A: Yellow gold in color. Clear. 1 finger of head results in lots of lacing. The head practically sheets down the sides of the glass.

S: Citrus and orange-blossom floral aroma. Almost like sweet candy.

T: Hop flavor explosion. Orange and citrus with an appreciable, but not over the top, bitterness and finishing with a slight (fusel) spiciness. The flavors are bright and fragrant, giving the impression of being a very "fresh" beer.

M: Medium body and carbonation. Slight bitterness, but certainly not the astringency one would be expecting from a beer that is over 100 IBUs.

D: Another great beer. Hops are center stage, but they're not over done, resulting in a beer that's easy to drink and enjoy.

Florida9, May 31, 2009
3.48/5  rDev -16.9%

22 oz. bomber poured into my Short's Imperial Pint Glass.

A: Very clear, burnt amber color. One finger of eggshell white head appears and receeds to a thin rim. Spotty lace lines the glass.

A: Sweet honey, sugar cane, and hop juice. Orange peel, grapefruit, mango, and maybe a hint of lime round out the citrus hop aroma.

T: Very sweet. Some crystal malt give this some balance, but the sweet citrusy hops overpower this one. The alcohol, although not huge, gives it a nice warmth on the back end.

M: Medium body. Moderate carbonation and the sugar give this a sticky mouthfeel.

D and overall impression: The sweetness of this brew limits the drinkability. That being said, I think this is a fine beer. Good ABV at 7.7%, better than Maximus, but not on the level of some of the world class DIPA's. Skal.

Gtreid, May 31, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours a pale clear orange with a white head that dissipated quickly. Some lacing.

Big pine and grapefruit aromas with a bit of toasted malt. Very nice.

Very up front in the hop department, with a big pine blast, but not the overkill you get from some others. The malt fights through and the sweet/citric bitter flavors balance nicely.

Not as full bodied as I expected, actually a bit thin, and this lends to drinkability. They did something right with this one, because the bomber disappeared very quick. Not the best IPA that I've had (wasn't even the besst of the evening), but worth grabbing by far. Good beer for hop-heads.

OtherShoe2, May 30, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

22oz bottle poured into a Chapter House, Ithaca, NY pint glass

A - Pours crystal clear golden color - lighter than I would have expected. Two fingers of head quickly dissipates with a bit of lacing.

S - This smells just like fresh cut grass. Huge hop aroma

T - Very nice. It it hoppy for sure, but the bitterness doesn't offend the palate. The 102 IBUs are nicely hidden, but suprisingly I don't get much sweetness. I really like the way this beer is balanced.

M - A bit thinner and lighter than I expected, but feels good nonetheless.

D - Excellent. Lagunitas has done a good job of cramming in a ton of hop flavor and aroma without completely killing your taste buds. Very refreshing for 8% ABV.

FickleBeast, May 30, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +4.5%

Poured into Duvel Tulip. Three finger head looks fantastic. Smells of pine, citrus and slight floral notes. Very nice smell but still short of my two favorites, Pliny and Two Hearted. Taste is very good and follows right along with the smell. Mouthfeel is above average and very drinkable for such a high IBU beer. I would put this in my top 10 IPA's at the moment. Highly recommended.

dublife1, May 30, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

A: Amber, orange and gold hues, and just slightly cloudy. Shows a 1-finger head that quickly fades to haze.

S: This one hit me on the pour. Delicious citrus fruits with resin-y sweetness in the background -heavenly.

T: the first half-second on my tongue it's bitter, but then quickly piney hoppy sweet, then back to a dry finish. The flavor isn't as blockbuster as the aroma.

M: Light, with some sparkle building into the dry finish.

D: A little too off-balance to be gulp-able, but certainly a yummy beer.

Notes: The nose seems to be so much of the flavor of this beer, the more I moved it around in my mouth, the more I liked it. But it still didn't live up to the initial sniff.

Maction, May 30, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

A: Pours a nice almost dark copper with a big o' fat white head and lacing that last while you drink it.

S: The best IPA I have ever smelt. THE END.

T: It isn't the best IPA that I have ever tasted but it is very good.

M: Light carbonation full body. It grabs you and lets you know that your drinking a good beer.

D: It goes down smooth and leaves a bitter pucker. Its a mouth trick that I can do over and over again. I dig it!

miramanmike, May 29, 2009
3.98/5  rDev -5%

A- Pours a clear tangerine hue with a nice, fluffy, off white head.

S- Smell is very sweet, grapefruity hops, herbal notes.

T- Taste is very citrusey, lots of hops (imagine that), light fruits, huge malt backbone with a slight lingering bitterness.

M- Thick with medium carbonation.

D- A very drinkable DIPA. Amazingly balanced in my opinion for something called "hop stoopid"

Lothore, May 29, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured into a Sierra Nevada shaped pint(true pint) glass.
Beautiful dark gold color with a persistent but not huge white head.
Fragrant hoppy aroma mixed with nice floral citrus scents.
Great blend of hop bitterness with sweet and bready malts. Beautifully balanced with the malts being the first thing on the tongue, but followed by grapefruit hop bitterness which lingers into the finish.
Mouthfeel is not overly syrupy, very pleasant with some nice lingering hop oils on the tongue.
This beer is very easy to drink for such a strong beer. Not sure how I'll feel after I'm done with 22 oz. ABV on the bottle says 8% not 7.7
This is a great beer, easily the best beer I've had from Lagunitas and a really great double IPA. Most of their IPA/DIPAs have not really measured up for me, but this one is world class. I'll be looking for this one from now on.

kwakwhore, May 29, 2009

The "Beer Review Tips" tips include the hint "All '5''s should be rare". Agreed, but this is THAT good. I don't know what I'd do to improve this except make it a year round beer and put it into six packs. The taste is very clean/crisp. Very well balanced. Right off the bat this beer jumped to among my very favorite.

thebeeve, May 28, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -6.9%

1 pint 6 oz bottle:

Poured a solid amber color with a nice thick white head that was pretty well retained, including a small thin cap that lasted throughout the beer.

Solid pine and citrus hop aroma.

Taste was extremely bitter on first taste and then mellowed, but it followed the nose really well. Didn't find the taste overly complex, but still pretty tasty.

The beer had a medium body feel to it with good carbonation and it was pretty smooth. Drinkability suffers from the bitterness a bit. Overall a really good beer.

PhillyStyle, May 28, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

A- Pours a dark copper colored amber with a huge light tan head.

S- There is a huge bouquet of citrusy hops in the aroma. Despite the huge amount of hops, this is one is very balanced. There is a lot of malt in the background supporting all the hops.

T- The taste like the aroma is deliciously balanced between the malt and hops. The taste starts out with a sweet maltiness and a touch of caramel. The hops quickly roll in creating a nice lingering bitter finish. If it wasn't for the hops, this beer would be far too sweet, but the hops do a great job of balancing this one out.

M- The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

D- The sweetness is a little much at times and hurts the drinkability a tad, but regardless this is a fine DIPA that is highly recommended!

cjgator3, May 28, 2009
3.93/5  rDev -6.2%

A pleasingly bright and clear orange brown. A good, thick head, rather big-bubbled. Nice retention. Lots of sticky lacing.

Grapefruit. The nose is nearly all hops. Herbal notes, as well. A slight hint of malt sweetness.

Biscuit malt, hops building on top of that. Grapefruit and malt-sweetened citrus. Herbal bittering. Slightly sticky, very dry finish. Bitter aftertaste.

Very creamy feel. Sometimes it seems to verge on a slightly unpleasant syrupiness, but it never gets there, thankfully. ABV is very well hidden, evidenced only by a bit of numbing that builds as you get through the 22 ounces. A bit heavy to have anything more than is in the bomber.

TheMistler, May 28, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

A: Just a really clear light copper color with a finger and a half of white head. Great lacing as well.

S: Probably overdone hops. Who cares? This is a nicely hopped beer. Tons of bitterness in the nose but complimented by some citrus. Sap. Just quite a bit of it. A little bit of grass then I get some stuff that I really cannot describe. A little of for a Double IPA.

T: Kind of like the nose. Quite a bit of hop up front. A nice mix of floral and citrus. The bitterness is the finish is quite noticeable. Just a very nice classic take on a DIPA.

M: A little bit syrupy. Fairly light though despite that which helps out with drinkability.

D: For the price and taste this is a damn fine DIPA. Check that for the price it is probably one of the best DIPAs out there. Glad this is going to be a year round release. Lagunitas might not make the best beers but damn do they not make some of the best affordable beers.

aerozeppl, May 28, 2009
4.55/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Bomber poured into a standard pint glass at about 40 degrees or so to start out. Dusted this badboy off in about an hour though so it definitely warmed during the session. I don't understand how I've waited this long to review such a great beer. Yeah you already know I'm a fanboy wanna fight about it?!?!?

Appears a little lighter than you might expect actually. Then again at just 7.7% ABV it kind of makes sense. Definitely an amber type color with some soft shades of brown in there, but nothing too dark. Awesome head and lacing, a thin layer definitely sticks around to the finish and it's really fluffy stuff.

Aroma is nearly all pine, which coincidentally is my favorite smell in the world of beer... Underneath the pine I get a little grassyness and sweet bread with a bit of pepper.

I nearly gave the taste a 5, but we wouldn't want this beer to rate about PTE now would we??? All kidding aside, it really isn't quite as complex as Pliny the Elder. There's enough of a sweet bready taste in the foreground to clash with the intense hoppiness to come. The hoppiness does come quickly though and never really lets up. First it starts like freshly mown grass, then gets a little spicy before turning into a pine tree. Yes, seed in the ground, many years pass, pine tree. Believe it or not though I got some background pineapple flavor which I absolutely adore.

Mouthfeel flat out cannot be improved upon. I think the feel may be better than any of the other DIPAs I've had, and I've had almost all the top DIPAs. It's just perfect. Vibrant at first, plenty of carbonation without being too thin. The right amount of chewyness, and the head is just pure fluffy goodness.

What an amazing elixir. I like it about as much as Pliny the Elder and I'm not ashamed to say that. I wish I could put this side by side with Dreadnaught though because I feel like that comparison is perhaps a little more similar. It's just been too long since I've had Dreadnaught (little over a year) Really great drinkability though, goes down easy, raw bitterness leaves you wanting more, and the alcohol isn't really apparent in any way shape or form.

Bubba83, May 27, 2009
4.15/5  rDev -1%

For the first time, I'm actually sitting here with a beer and my laptop, and I'm reviewing it as I consume it. Poured from a bottle into my Duvel tulip.

A: Beautiful golden brown color, with a one inch thick, off-white head. Nice lacing left behind on the inside of the glass.

S: A bit of citrus/ orange scent is initially detected. This is quickly followed by some piney hops and then gives way to some sweet, bread-like maltyness.

T: The first sip out of the glass was of a tart citrus fruit, possibly grapefruit. After a few sips the hop profile turns towards a more pine flavor. Also, as this happens, the malt character becomes more prominent. I was picking up some sweet breadyness, and a hint of sweet fruits - I couldn't pick out what exactly it was though. During the final third of the beer, the tart citrusy flavor started to become prominent once again (orange and lemon I believe). The flavor os this beer is well balanced, however, I prefer a more hop dominated IIPA.

M: Light to medium bodied in the mouth. There is a very nice film of oiliness from the hops left in my mouth as I progress through this beer - this is very enjoyable. The carbonation on this one is pretty much spot on.

D: This beer is fairly drinkable. It has a relatively lower abv when compared to some other beers in this style. I could put down two of these bombers in one sitting, but I wouldn't want to waste the few remaining ones that I have.

aglose45, May 27, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

A: pours a clear, light orange-copper color. white 2 finger head. nice lacing down the glass.

S: huge smell of grapefruit and citrus. some pine in there. the malt is very subtle in the nose. smells some what like toffee.

T: grapefruit and some orangey citrus come out in the taste. there is bitterness and piney-ness in the finish. some caramel malt in there as well. some acidity in the finish as well.

M: medium mouth feel and moderate carbonation.

D: a very tasty DIPA. i could drink a couple of these.

ottovon, May 27, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +2.6%

a - poured a three-fingers thick fluffy, tan head into a tulip and left thick lacing and sheeting throught. the body was a clear orange color.
s - grapefruit and hops hit the nose as soon as i pop the cap. that stays consistent throughout with a slight sweetness underneath it all.
t - hoppy but not overwhelming. grassy, piney and grapefuit flavors with a hint of chocolate sweetness (really?).
m - smooth and creamy.
d - good sipper. you can taste the hops on your tongue long after you swallow.

GPHarris, May 26, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

22oz bomber. no date found. tasted in early april 2009

clear copper with amber tones. foamy, off-white 2-finger head. fades to wispy layer and ring. one ring of lace on top, then the rest is almost continuous and curtain-like.

aroma: fresh grapefruit juice, zest of both grapefruit and orange, fresh pine, floral notes. some subtle apple esters underneath introduce you to the caramelized malts, but they are also just a background role.

taste: hops provide an actual fruity and citrusy sweetness, melding with the caramel maltiness, before transition to resinous, piney bitterness, but definitely not as aggressive as you'd think with the "102 IBU" claim on the label. floral notes peek through again, but really, this is all about the hops! the malt is not complex, but it's just solid enough to play backup.

medium body, smooth, almost syrupy. resinous flash, but overall very, very smooth. moderate, complementary carbonation, sometimes even creamy.

hop extract be damned - i want more of this!

tai4ji2x, May 26, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into nonic pint glass.

A - Somewhere between orange and amber, almost completely clear. Two fingers of white head rise and fall quicker than I'd expect. Minimal to moderate lacing with a persistent cap.

S - Typical big hop aroma; huge pine and secondary grapefruit aromas. Some fruit smells float around as well with notes of apricot. Caramel/butterscotch from the malt plays around in the background. Good stuff, but as far as massive hop bombs go, it's nothing we haven't seen before.

T - Moderate careml-esque sweetness with fruity notes from the hops and touches of pine. Fruitiness dies down mid palate but a strong toasted malt backbone holds things together. Moderately bitter grapefruit pith kicks in with accompanying grapefruit peel flavor. Bitter and some slightly salty flavor dry things out for the most part, though some caramelly/buttery sweetness lingers in the aftertaste.

M - Decent and solid for the style. Medium to full bodied with a moderate to low carbonation. Quite smooth.

D - A good DIPA, as most DIPAs are. There's not anything remarkable or unique about this brew aside from the amazing price. Very drinkable and a good, affordable DIPA to keep on hand. Definitely a repear purchase.

PatrickJR, May 26, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

Got this bottle from mjl21...thanks Mike!

A- Poured into pint glass. Pours nice semi-hazy golden orange color with a 3/4 inch off white head. This takes a little while to die down but leaves nice sticky lacing on the sides the entire time I drink the beer.

S- Big piney fruity hop scent. This smells kind of a little sweet. Nice carmel malt undertones balance this beer out nicely. But by far the hops take over this beer.

T- Nice crisp hop bite from the get go. Very fruity upfront with a good malty bitter hop taste bringing up the rear. Good tasting DIPA for sure.

M- This is slightly on the medium to heavy side. The only reason I would even say heavy is because it seems a little thicker than most DIPA's almost a little syrupy. It coats the tounge in a sweet malty/bitter hoppy combo that lasts long after the drink. Good carbonation brings this beer up.

D- I really like this DIPA and would have to say if I could get it around here I would. Nothing too over the top but it is a damn tasty beverage never the less. Would be a staple in my fridge if I could make it a reality.

alleykatking, May 26, 2009