Hop Stoopid - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Beer added by: lou91 on 03-07-2007

Reviews: 2,025 | Hads: 7,051
4.83/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I cant believe i havent yet reviewed this. Pours a deep golden, with many small bubbles rising up to the white foamy head of two fingers-thick, with the head slowly settling, lacing cakes nicely along the sides of my pint glass.
Smells of fresh hops, citrus and pine. Very fresh.
The taste follows the scent, with a fresh citrus/ lemony sensation of hops that fill my mouth, in a cool pine forest kind of way. Zesty and bitter, even bready; the malt lays in the background here because these hops are just so bitter. With that said, how does it remain so balanced and drinkable where my palate stays intact?
This ends pretty crisp/wet, and slightly sticky.
I found this familiar craft beer at my local Tom Thumb. Good move by them, as this is a phenomenal value at under 5 bucks. This beer reminds me of the iconic Russian River brew of the exact same style; that's saying alot given Ive only tried Pliny once and at least a year ago. Hop Stoopid is one of the best DIPAs you can buy for your dollar. Safe to say now in my top 5 of the style. Im not sure why it took the convenience of a local chain grocery for me to retry it. If you're a hophead, you'll find this incredibly drinkable. (1,191 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

~2 months old from bottle date.
Poured a clear dark gold with a finger of soapy white head.
Smell is huge tropical fruit and pine.
Taste is tropical fruit up front then becomes piney and resiny. Well balanced with light to medium body. Love this beer, reminds me of sucks. (275 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +15.3%

Appearance light amber with a smale white head but had good head retention

Smell fantastic lots of hops citrus, pine and some tropical notes

Taste same as smell with just enough malt backbone

Mouthfeel maby just a bit lite for an IPA but still very good

Drinkability very good for such a strong beer I will be buying this one again soon

Solid beer by Lagunitas keep up the good work (387 characters)

Lagunitas - Hop Stoopid

Aroma:  Massive pine and citrus aroma.  A touch of malt sweetness in the mix.

Appearance:  Golden amber color.  Bright filtered beer.  One finger of head with good lacing.

Flavor:  Pine and citrus hops to start, sweet and bitter in the middle, finishes fairly sweet with a lingering bitterness.  Little to no alcohol present.  Slight astringency as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel:   Medium body with some syrup characteristics.  Good carbonation.

Overall:  Finely crafted, well balanced hop bomb from Lagunitas.  If you are an IPA lover, this beer will satisfy.  The reasonable price will satisfy as well.  Excellent IPA that I will seek out in the future.  Recommended. (709 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +15.3%

Wow! I am in love with this beer. I want to marry it! lol

Appearance- amber color, nice head

Smell- piney hops, Beautiful

Taste- hoppy, well balanced

Mouthfeel- full body

Drinkability- Very drinkable, I love it so much! It was pure heaven. I will be drinking a lot more of this. (283 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +15.3%

A: light amber pour with a half inch of white head that leaves a strong lace down the glass. Very clingy lace. Also a heavy carbonation streaming upward from the bottom of the glass, a very beautiful beer.

S: Hops throughout, sweet hops up front, followed by pine and citrus. Awesome first impression on the nose, can't wait to taste.

T: Amazing double IPA, Lagunitas always has a way with hop usage and here they did it again. Sweet hops and malts perfectly balance up front, to be followed by citrus notes and a long hoppy and piney finish.

M: medium body and carbonation

O: an amazing DIPA, love the smell and taste. Perfect example in my opinion. (654 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +15.3%

This is a fantastic imperial ipa. When fresh I easily put it up there with any I've ever had.The smell is a citrus/pine blast. The taste is perfectly balanced with grapefruit, pine, a little resin, a slight hint of carmel and a dry bitter finish. Sooo good. I had the honor of having this on draft at a perfect temperature (a little warmer than most) at toronado a few months back and was blown away. In my opinion every bit as good as pliny. I love this beer. (460 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +15.3%

Finally Hop Stoopid has made it to Houston!!!! Picked up a bomber today at the Clear Lake Specs. Since joining BA all I have read about is how great this beer is, it has been on my wish list for a while now, and to finally see it at the store, well I was giddy. I could not wait to get home and open this bad boy up and at only 3.79, I am kicking myself for only getting one.

A- What a beautiful beer, golden orange and clear. Pours with little to no head and leaves little lacing. This beer is one of the best looking I have seen, I could watch the tiny bubbles all night.

S- When I first opened the bottle, the smell just reached out and slapped me! This is the stickiest, sweetest dankest beer I have ever smelled and it made me tingle with joy! Hands down the best smelling beer I have ever had, it is piny, and fruity it makes your mouth water just smelling it, I could smell this all night. WOW!

T- After I smelled this beer for a while, I finally tasted it and oh baby what a happy day, an explosion of hops, grapefruit, pineapple and happiness! What an amazing flavor, so smooth, tasty and just overwhelming, I can not say enough about how great this is, I am in beer Heaven!

M- Sticky, piny and just fantastic. It is smooth and not too carbonated, it goes down so nice, I could drink this all night. If there is a beer Heaven, this is what flows from the faucet!

D- Again, this beer is amazingly drinkable. It is complex, sweet, piny, and just perfect. I am just blown away by this beer.

Hop Stoopid has more than lived up to expectations, it has kicked them in the ass and made me it's bitch. This beer has made me so happy to be a craft enthusiast and I hope it is around Houston for a while, I need to go stock up! Now if only we could get some Pliny, Bells and Founders.... (1,792 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +15.3%

Poured from a deuce-deuce into a beer glass.

Appearance: Pours a pure-golden color with a nice off white head. Head recedes to a thin but present coating on the surface, leaving very light lacing; there is very light carbonation visible through the glass.

Smell: Stupidly hoppy, hahaha...as the beer is advertised as "Hop Stoopid," I think it fits swimmingly. Superbly bitter, with just a small hint of floral sweetness. Not a whole lot else.

Taste: Oooh! A truly thick and bready malt is the primary focus here; a surprise which is very welcome. Sweet bread, grapefruit, and the hops (which smelled so very distinct) come in softly but steadily. Aftertaste is super-pleasant, just some general sweet and bitterness. Alcohol is extremely well-hidden. Couldn't be any better for a Double IPA.

Mouthfeel: Thick and chewy. As the beer warms slightly on the palate, the carbonation takes full effect. As the bubbles fade away, the beer rinses smoothly, no harshness whatsoever.

Drinkability: Yes. In every facet, this beer is drinkable.

I was blown away by this brew...perhaps I had an aged bottle, but it was truly a blessing. I would suggest this beer to IPA lovers. (1,170 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +15.3%

beer has a classic IPA look to it, a deep golden brown hue with a decent sized head that laces quite well. very inviting

smell is awesome, a multitude of hops but something i've never been able to really focus on, it has a slight rasberry/strawberry aroma to it, really unique and special

taste is fantastic as well, a wonderful well balanced IPA

mouthfeel and drinkability are both very good, lagunitas does not dissapoint (427 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +15.3%

Cool cap with a dog on it. Bottle states 102 I.B.U. 4.U. Alc. 8% O.G. 1.G. 1.085 Poured from a bottle Net Contents: 1 Pint 6 Fluid oz into a pint glass.

Nice 2 finger white head.
HOP STOOPID ALE is the name and it is every bit of that and more. Hop heads should know what they are getting into with a name like HOP STOOPID!

Appearance: Settled to a nice clean orangish amber..

I took a slow deep sniff. It was full of a wonderful fragrant floral hoppiness that made me salivate.

First mouthful my taste buds almost exploded. Not overwhelming but HUGE flavors. Very smooth and drinkable. I was expecting a more bitter beer with the 102 on the label. It's balanced so nicely I wouldn't have guessed 102. Rich body with tiny bubbles and loads of great bitters. All kinds of great flavors from all the different hops. Sweet maltiness blends with the dry bitter hops perfectly. Wild mouth watering citrus after taste. A delicious hoppy foam covered my mustache.

First impression is I'm enjoying the hell out of this beer.

Head is holding up as I pour the rest into the glass. Another deep nose full of fresh hops. Next thing I know I'm trying to squeeze more out of the glass. Left a picture of what I would describe as "waves in the surf" down the pint created after each mouthful. I was tempted to swipe the lace and lick it off my fingers.

The only negative thing about this beer was not having another. I bought this beer because I was in the mood for an over hopped maxed out bitter beer. What I got was a pleasant surprised. Cost me 4.49 at MT View in Naugy. I can't believe I only bought 1 bottle. I picked it up expecting a very hoppy beer not a great drinking beer. This beer was both.

A must try for any hophead. (1,734 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +15.3%

Pours an amber/golden color with a off white head. The head thins out as you drink it but it leaves a lot of lacing. Smells of fresh American hops, piney and slightly citrusey. Tastes a hell of a lot like grapefruit from the hops. This is common in a lot of DIPAs I've had, but I've never had one that had it this obvious. There's a lot of hop bitterness, but it doesn't overwhelm the beer. I've had pale ales that "taste" more bitter, despite the 102 IBU scrawled across the top of the label. This is a fairly hyped beer and I was afraid it wasn't gonna live up to it but it does. I have a feeling the scores on this one will be very high, but I think I like Stone's interpretation of the beer better. I don't feel like I should score it lower since its so well balanced though. (779 characters)

4.81/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Very balanced with a hop character that is sturdy but has a soft edge and lingers on the back of the tounge. I am not a huge double IPA guy but this is certainly hard to put down. (179 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14.8%

22oz bottle bought down the street for 1.59! Thought it was a mistake so I went back today and picked up 2 more for the same price from a differnt cashier.

A: Copper-Orange with a nice 2-finger head. Tons of lacing.

S:Heavy citrus and pine. Grapefruit and lemons. Yum!

T: Oh man, this is an awsome I2PA! I read they use over 5 pounds of hops per barrel, and it looks like spinach soup before cleaning it up. I love hop bombs like this one where the flavors stand out and it's not just bitter.

M: Crisp. No stickynes or coating. I would never guess this beer to be over 6%. Alcohol is COMPLETELY hidden!

D: High. Too high. Dangerous. (I like 'em that way!) This and the New Dog Town Pale Ale and the Imperial Red are making up for Lagunitas otherwise piss poor line up IMO. (777 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14.8%

Clear dark amber with a very large three finger off white head. Very good amount of lacings. Aroma is big piney resinous hops. Taste is dark leathery citrus grapefruit orange hops with a just enough sweet rich malts. Mouthfeel is excellent and it is an easy drinker in spite of the 7.7% (on the label) abv. Exceptional beer. One of my new favorites in this style. (363 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14.8%

Appearance: Very nice. Crystal clear. Tan colored. Quickly dissipatin head.

Smell: "C" hops all the way. Strong hop aroma. no malt aroma. Very much to style.

Taste: Perfect. Wonderful balance. Zero hop harshness. Fruity orangey hops with a complext malt balance. Nicely done. A new favorite.

Mouthfeel: Lighter than I would have expected. Very nice. Excellent

Drinkability: Wow. What can I say. Virtually flawless. With more head retention and a bit more variability in the nose, this would be a 5 all the way across. Don't pass this one up. (546 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14.8%

HOP STOOPID ~ Great Name for this bitter beasst!
Poured clear amber with off white head,looks great
Smelled kinda fruity and hoppy with some pretzels mixed in,hops of course!
Taste hits ya up front with the bitter punch then fades to a mello sweetnes with just a touch of alcohol heat! Gotta love these DIPA's
Mouth is medium with some ligering bitterness~NICE
Would love to partake in this one all day! These guys at Lagunitas sure have done their homework and produce some outstnding brews-Very Well Done!!!! (516 characters)

22oz bomber poured into pint glass
A - deep clear amber body, with small white ehad that lingers fro a bit, decent lacing
S - strong pine and citrus notes
T - delicious balance of sweet and bitter citrus, orange and grapferuit and pine absolutly amazing
M - easy to drink and cramy
O - my new favourite double ipa, absolutely amazing, nothing beats this at 7 bucks a bomber (373 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14.8%

pours a transparent copper-yelow color with a small amount of light fizzy head. good lacing and lots and lots of heavy fizzy carbonation. Heavy hop smell and taste as well as some hints of pine and floral, and possibly some oak flavor as well. slightly bitter in the finish and the flavor seemed to last for ever. i was very impressed with this beer, probably the best beer you'll ever get for this price, atleast IMO. one of the cheaper beers i have purchased and is probably in my top top 5 favorites. i could drink this beer everyday and probably never get sick of it. highly recommend this beer if you have never tried it before i suggest doing so. (652 characters)

A: Bright, Crystal Clear, Golden

S: Fruity, sweet, citrus

T: Awesome, good rival to the true DIPA "Pliny." has a great balance of hoppiness, fruitiness and alcohol.

M: smooth and Light

O: At 3.99 a Bomber this beer is absolutely unbeatable!!! (246 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

It pours a gorgeous golden color with a fluffy white head. The smell shows off the entire range of hop characteristics: I get grapefruit, other citrus flavors, pine, floral, and herbal notes. Also present is a sweet malt smell. Predictably, Hop Stoopid gives a huge hop bomb on the way down, replete with citrus flavors but also quite earthy, with a malt finish that balances out the taste somewhat. It's as drinkable as the best DIPAs I've had and a stellar example of the style. I've had Heady Topper and this compares well with it, while being cheap and easy to find. (570 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

this mofo is awesome!! if you cant get pliny ,as most hop heads cant on the east coast,then this will be the closest thing you'll get to it! this beer is delicious. Grapefruit,peaches,lemons,hops,pine oil....the smell is crazy ,the taste is ever better...my fav DIPA because of it's availability and price!!! (308 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14.8%

Lagunitas has a hands-down winner in Hop Stoopid. If you're a fan of big hoppy beers, this is the beer for you. It pours a nice sticky lacey head and the color is a nice hazy orange. But it's the beautiful hoppy citrusy aroma and taste that makes this beer great. Best served chilled but not too cold, in a wide mouth glass so you can stick your nose down in there and enjoy the nice floral notes of the hops. This beer tops out at 102 lip-smackin' IBUs. A great big hoppy brew and a bargain at $5-6 for a bomber. Go get Stoopid! (529 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is a must have on draft. In bottle, I get a completely different taste- thicker, more carmel/syrup feel. I get this from the bottle time after time. On draft, it's much lighter, much more tasty and preferred. This was in my top 5 when I first tried it, but now, I don't know. Still in my top 50 though! (307 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +14.8%

Had this on-tap at Frisco Grille in Columbia, MD.

The beer poured a deep, clear amber with a thick, rocky, white head into a pint glass. The smell was an intensely piney whiff of fresh hops - heavenly. The taste was a beautifully balanced blend of big, fresh hop flavor up front with a nice malt sweetness in the background. One of the best balanced IPAs I've ever had. The lacing down the glass was thick and luscious. This has replaced Kill Ugly Radio as my favorite Lagunitas brew. (485 characters)

Hop Stoopid from Lagunitas Brewing Company