Hop Stoopid | Lagunitas Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by lou91 on 03-07-2007

Reviews: 2,083 | Ratings: 7,378
4.59/5  rDev +9.8%

This poured a bright copper/orange color out of my bomber. Thin head stuck around lacing the glass throughout. Crisp citrus hops smell with a rush of pine. I knew this was gonna be good before I even took a drink. Taste is a domination of the citrusy/piney hops. There is a muted malt note in there as well. I was hoping for a touch more of the hop bomb taste because of the beautiful scent, but this beer is still very good. The 8% ABV was unnoticeable. It would be pretty easy to get stoopid drunk on this stuff. I'll be having more of these in the future!

4.59/5  rDev +9.8%

Drank out of the 22 Oz. bottle. QFC has been selling this for 3.99 in Renton, WA, a below average price for strong ales from anyone. No one else in the area seems to be selling this, except for maybe the smaller vendors who tend to charge 50 cents to a dollar more.
It starts out with a fragrant evergreen smell, and the taste comes out like spruce gum. In this case, it cancels out the 8% alcohol leaving a happy astringent taste, and you have to wait till you finish the bottle and stand up to find out you just knocked off something stronger than Arrogant Bastard. This is the stuff you alternate with AB (not Anheuser-Busch) while sitting out in the sun enjoying the current economic slowdown. Buy cases and cases before you go broke because you lost your job.

4.59/5  rDev +9.8%

Aroma:
Astonishing fresh lychee, mandarin oranges, and apricot. Sweet honey like malts. Slightly grassy, fresh alfalfa like bitterness. Altogether very fresh, bracing, and fruity, as opposed to pine, resinous, or juniper herbals in other big IIPAs. Very promising.

Appearance:
Pours with medium carbonation and a light, white, head that dissipates quickly - negligible lace. Slightly coppery blond color. Slightly hazy.

Flavor:
Very well balanced. With fruity characters from the hops and yeast - mandarin orange and mango, with a touch of ripe Asian pear. Malt provides a nice backbone - both complexly sweet and honey-like. Bittering hops pull it together with balance a dryness. This has a beginning (bracing and fresh), middle (fruit, and honey/malty), and end (clean sweetnes and slightly astringent). Very well done.

Mouthfeel:
Pushes above medium bodied with a nice slickness that lingers. Finishes clean and lightly dry.

Overall Impression:
Very well done IIPA. Up with the best I've had. I'd put it at par with Pliney the Elder for overall enjoyment - though it's tipped to freshness and fruit rather than to resinous herbal characters. Great aroma, great flavor, finishes well, easily drinkable - I'll say it again - very well done.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L: Pours brilliant gold to amber under a dense persistent 3” clingy cream colored foam collar.
S: The fragrance is just above mid-range with grapefruit and grapefruit rind, spice and malt.
T: Big malt flavors give way to a grapefruit rind bitterness with citrus, herbs and spice, faint cardamom. The brewer places more emphasis on hop flavors and character than on hop bitterness.
F: Creamy medium body, very soft carbonation.
O: A deliscious mix of big hop flavors and big malt with a moderate hop bitterness.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

From a brown 22 oz. bomber, this version is 7.7%. Pours out a burnished copper hue in appearance with impressive clarity, crisp and clear as they say. Tall tight cream coloured head that recedes slowly, leaving thick foamy horizontal watermarks of lacing in its wake, and valleys of hoodoos forming the remaining cap.

The aroma is every hop bomb lover's dream come true, a clean robust olfactory slap and tickle of pine needles and ruby grapefruit rind. Notes of orange, citrus, and a mild earthy spice as well. I wish someone would make this into a perfume or cologne...

Flavour is surprisingly clean throughout, some buried semblance of what could be an unobtrusive biscuity malt holds up the well-behaved stampede of 102 I.B.U.'s worth of hops body surfing across the palate, where an explosion of astringency occurs on the finish and well into the aftertaste. One might have to wait for low tide until this lingering hoppy aftertaste finally subsides. Yeah, the use of hop extract was really well-played in this instance. Definitely not a balanced ale, but certainly uniform and consistent.

Mouthfeel is fuller yet smooth, and lacks the slick oiliness that I was anticipating on the finish. There's a bit of a soapy texture, but really hardly noticeable considering the how high the hop presence actually is. Very well contained.

What can I say, you know why you bought this bottle--buy the ticket and take the trip--and it delivers the goods in a civilized hoptastic manner. A great DIPA, I'll definitely be going back for more.

4.6/5  rDev +10%

Wow, what a hop smack. Poured lively into my glass and watched the head quickly rise to about two fingers. Mucho lacing down the glass, as should be. Smell is huge pine, grass and citrus. The first taste sends waves through my taste buds, and an amazement through my brain from the intense hop bitterness. No exageration, I could still taste the bitterness 10-15 minutes after my glass was empty. Mouthfeel was very good, a toal immersion into the Imperial IPA world. Love it, and will be back again, and again.

4.6/5  rDev +10%

A great 22 Oz. bomber with the usual story told in conversational style on the side of the bomber.

Hop Stoopid pours a clear lighter shade of amber body with a white fluffy head that leave some lacing.

The aromas are of pineapple, citrus, and pine.

The first sip is the same with plenty some tongue coating resins holding the bitterness to the tongue. After it warms a bit the sweetness picks up with a touch of crystal malt in there.

The mouthfeel was sturdy with moderate carbonation. This reminds me of a bitter Bell's Two Hearted. A great double IPA in my book and priced well at 4.99 a bomber.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Great beer. Great taste. Goes down as one of the tops... for now.
This wasn't on my "to-drink" list, but I made an exception. I'm glad I did.

A- Looks great, but I'll admit, I drank it right out of the bottle.
S-scent was of a perfect for a solid drinkable beer. Not over powering to the point that you felt like you had to brace yourself for a kick in the mouth, but not weak.
T- taste, my favorite part. It was good, very good. Easy and smooth. A great hop taste and even flavor.

O- this is a good solid beer. You should definitely check it out.

4.6/5  rDev +10%

I love a brewery that doesn’t take itself too seriously. The name itself, Hop Stoopid, and the “102 I.B.U. 4 U.” that is emblazoned at the top of the label are refreshing bits of levity. The beer itself, on the other hand, seems to be very seriously brewed. At least that’s what I’m getting from the people on this website; there seem to be a lot of Lagunitas supporters. Being from Indiana, I wouldn’t know about this brewery’s supposedly glorious creations – I’m just lucky enough to have gotten my hands on this one when I could. Anyway, I just poured it, and I can smell the hops from here. I’m not waiting any longer for this one…

A: This has got to be one of the most beautiful DIPA’s I’ve seen to date. The first thing that sticks out to me is the head: it’s as a thick as the cream in a root beer float. The lacing is gorgeous; the most I’ve seen in a while. Gold and amber mix with a copious amount of shine, and that, coupled with a very slight bubble stream, make this a very inviting body. I wish every brewer paid this much attention to the less important details, like the look, because it’s certainly showing Lagunitas in a great light before I even take a sip.

S: Couldn’t wait to get my nose in this one, and, after my first whiffs, I am not disappointed! Brazen hops lash forward, entering with a floral, slightly earthy hit. It’s fresh, organic, and just plain fantastic. The malty undercurrent rises with a great caramel syrupiness. Perfect, mouthwatering fruit scents mix well with the malts; it’s like freshly baked cinnamon apples. Wow.

T: A great barnyard freshness comes out first, showcasing the true taste of an IPA. Excellent transition into the smooth malts of the body, where the emphasis is big syrups and roasted notes – I’m getting marzipan, candied fruits, and honey, mostly. Rich and creamy, they hit you with a sugary blast but don’t overwhelm you with a whole lot of lingering sweet tones. That may be because the hops come in so forcefully that they diminish the residual sugars; the bitter is powerful, though it never goes over the top. For being 102 I.B.U.’s, it’s remarkably well balanced. The aftertaste consists mostly of bitters, but it’s not exceedingly dry; it’s as if the hops are more crisp than anything. Maybe that’s one of the differences when using hop extracts vs. whole hops. Either way, it lingers for quite a while. A fitting end for a beer with such big back-end hops.

M: This one is quite thick on the tongue, playing quite well on the fruit syrups tasted earlier. A slight bubbly hint every now and again reminds of (but does not embellish) the super-hopped bits of the palate. It doesn’t detract from the taste, but it doesn’t add a whole lot.

O: Beer like this doesn’t come around very often. With every sip, I’m reminded of that perfect DIPA, Pliny the Elder, more and more. The balance and complexity that I get from this beer makes me proud to be a craft drinker in this country – only in America will you see a brewer go so deep with hop extract. An admirable offering from Lagunitas, and quite possibly the world’s best hop-forward beer made with extracts.

4.6/5  rDev +10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The color is a beautiful golden orange, slighty yellow and visibly carbonated.

I think this aroma is very comparable to PtE, its got strong tropical notes, a beautifully dank hoppy aroma, very citrusy, and piney and earthy as well.

This beer is pretty bitter, not over the top from a hopheads standpoint. This beer has a medium malt backbone that In my opinion provides the balance and slight sweetness that makes this beer so good and complex.

The finish is nice and clean, and dry like a west coast IPA should be.

I feel this should be a higher rated IPA, Double IPA. Its so good, so affordable, more easily attainable. Its got the bitterness and hop character hopheads are looking for. Gotta love Lagunitas, their distro is well done and their beers are world class. Strong recommend.

Serving type: Bomber bottle

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

An amazing brew. At first I was a bit hesitant with the claim "102 I.B.U. 4 U." on the bottle's label. 102 IBUs? I was scared that I'd be drinking something that tasted like a blend of Pine-Sol and Dogfish Head 90 Minute, but Lagunitas hit a home run with this one. The hops are perfectly distributed between aroma, flavor and bittering. Classic California IPA hops dance throughout the bouquet--resinous and with tight citrus notes--with deeper, mustier hints rounding it out. I think I detect the interesting, wild vegetal hops Warrior in there, blanketed behind the Cascades. The taste starts off slightly sweeter than I expected, but finishes with the same hop flavors as the aromas advertise. Final bittering note is long and delightful, complex and evolving. Starts out pineappley for just a moment and then heads into spicy dustbowl territory with bitter grapefruit pith. And for only $4.99 for a 22 oz bottle, I see myself stocking up on this one.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

There is no Sonoma farmhouse mention on the bottle, but otherwise is about the same label.

Light golden ale, large white head, good retention and lacing.
Very nice aroma, better than average IPA nose, with very little grapefruit and a lot more passion fruit and orange. Passion fruit is more noticeable cold, as grapefruit comes in as it warms up - for a change, I like this one colder.
Medium bodied, with some biscuity maltiness providing a background to the hopfest.
Passionfruit, orange, pineapple, and as it warms, grapefruits. Hoppy but not bitingly bitter.
I just love this; a phenomenal DIPA, highly drinkable, with a great price tag.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

22 oz Bomber poured into glass.

Appearance: nice dark amber - solid head retention down the glass.

Smell: Hops, Honey, Grapefruit

Taste: Citrus - Honey - Apricot - Grapefruit - Tomato - Ginger - Mustard Seed.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied - nice and soft tannins

Drinkability: Very drinkable - easy session Double IPA - I recommend this for the IPA drinker that likes the citrusy - lighter fruit - apricot IPA's - not tons of dark malts in this one - although there is a hinting innuendo of dark chocolate malt on this finish. This is a great.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is wonderful, especially when fresh. I loved this beer (and pricepoint) so much that I named my two prized fancy rats "Hops" and "Stupid"...They are both deceased now but the Hop Stoopid lives on. Great beer for the price, "hippy man's colt 45"

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Had on tap at the Muddy Pig in St Paul Mn. Served in a shaker pint. Poured a hazy orange with a one finger head. Minimal retention with minimal lacing. Big pungent citrus and pine hops. A slight malty sweetness evident in the aroma as well. Taste is all hops, all day. Resinous pine and grapefuit with a touch of pineapple. Sweet malts help to balance the giant hop character. Bitterness is quite agressive and lingers on your tongue for some time. Carbonation was medium, as was the body. Highly drinkable and on par with the best DIPAs Ive had. Hides the alchohol well. I hope we will see this again, as it was supposedly only on for the one night.

4.6/5  rDev +10%

I am in love!!! Tried the super hoped ale today and will take some time before I get my fill opf this tasty brew.

Poured a big three fingered head of creamy off white head on this light amber colored ale which has perfect clarity.

The aroma is super piney with nice citrus peel background. I think I also smell some awesome sensimilia green note in this beer (what kind of hops are they using in this???).

Nicely balanced hop bitterness with sweet alcohol notes. Some dried fruit, perhaps pear and cherry, also linger.

Great full rich mouthfeel makes this tasty beer extremely enjoyable. Highly drinkable. I wish I had another!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This was one of the best I had at the EBF, so I needed to get some. Thanks to Matt at Winchester W&S for letting me know exactly when it was due to arrive. Poured in to a snifter a near perfect clear orange, with two fingers of pillow like white heading. Nice pungent hops start off in the smell. The hops stay prevalent, but there is also some sweet cream involved here, along with some mild tobacco. Taste is once again dominated by resiny, piny hops...truly hop juice. At the same time it is not so overwhelming as to ruin your taste buds after drinking it. Mouthfeel is medium to heavy, with great carbonation, and lots of subtle nuances as the beer warms up some. Drinkability is about as good as it gets for me. This West Coast Imperial IPA is as good as any out there that I have tried. Exceptional by all standards, but the cheap price tag places it on its own. Cheers

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

As far as price and taste, this is a great beer that really is not that expensive in comparison with other craft brews. Pours an orange color with a big white head. A nice citrus flavor and smell. A very enjoyable experience.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Picked up a bomber from Armanettis in Chicago, IL.

A: Pours an orange hue of amber with two fingers of white head that settles down to just a while film and ring around the edge with lacing left behind on the glass.

S: Smells like hops, citrus, grapefruit. Not intense smell, but very apparent.

T: Just like the smell...hops, citrus and lots of grapefruit even with a bittering similar to a grapefruit. I'll say that this is not an intense amount of flavor, but I would put this just below the intensity of a hop bomb. Make no mistake, this is all hop flavor here, but just not punch you in the face and make you whimper hop intensity. This is almost like juice.

M: Super smooth and crisp, a little bit of tingling in the medium carbonation.

D: This may just be the most drinkable DIPA I've ever had. Possibly because it's on the low end of the ABV spectrum, but also because this is just so smooth and juicy.

Where as some other DIPAs go for a bombardment of hops intensity that make you feel like you are chewing on a hop nugget (which I definitely like) this one is like hop flavored juice. I love DIPAs that have a huge hop bite, but this one has opened my eyes that not all hoppy beers need to be that way. This one is much more smooth and sessionable. This is not going to be my highest ranked beer, but it's definitely up there as one of my favorite beers due to sessionability, value, and flavor profile.

22 oz. bottle.

Brilliant clear golden body with a coppery middle. Frothy, lacy, sticky, off-white head. The nose just oozes hoppiness. Lots of big citrus, grapefruit, pineapple, pine resin, a hint of cat pee, and a whiff of sticky cannabis. Some sugary malt aromas get lost among the hops, but that's okay with me!

Light toasted malt up front, before a full on hop assault. To be fair, there is also some tropical, fruity sweet malt in the front end, but it mixes well with the pineapple and citrus flavors of the hops. Big resin and pineapple hop flavors feature mid-palate. Orange marmalade and grapefruit citrus flavors follow up. Bitterness throughout, but not too numbing. This is largely about huge hop flavor, not bitterness, and I am really liking it! Smooth, creamy feel on a medium-full body. Goes down too easily--especially at $3.99 a bomber...

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

The ale pours out a clear copper color with a massive foamy sticky white head. Has excellent lacing and retention. Pretty much a good IPA should look like!

The aroma is thick with pine cone, ripe fruits, and a little bit of balance from the alcohol and malt.

The first flavor to hit the tongue is the intense dry bitterness from the hops. Pine, floral, and citrus note are present in all the hop profile. Then after a quick dry hop on the tongue and good amount of bread and alcohol sweetness kick in.

Easy to drink, very warming, and finishes dry and bitter with sour fruit notes lingering.

Hands down this DIPA is a hop head's dream come true and is a near perfect example of what this truly a American style of IPA should taste like. A punch to the taste buds! Sexy! haha

4.61/5  rDev +10.3%

Poured out of a bomber bottle into a snifter and there is little head to speak of. When held up to the light the beer is a light amber color. Much lighter than I had expected. As the beer is swirled in the snifter there is a good amount of lace left behind. The smell is strong in citrus fruits, a delicious nose of hops. Make no mistake this is a hop bomb in every sense of the word. The taste continues the nose with a very strong hop taste a little malt sweetness that doesn't quite balance with the hops, bu that's alright with me. There is a some carbonation that resonates in my mouth making the bitterness linger. This beer is very very bitter I throughly enjoy the bomber but couldn't imagine having much more than that. Another solid beer from a brewery that loves hops as much as I do.

4.61/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a nice golden orange, with a foamy white one-fingernhead. Leaves nice lacing. Smells a wonderful piney citrus with a somewhat floral with a variety of citrus fruits showing up.
t\Taste is simply lagunitas. Piney resin bitterness that resonates into the nose. Tastes very fresh and hoppy. The finish has a good balance with the malt. I have had this before, and enjoy even more. Great beer especially for the price. $3.99.

4.62/5  rDev +10.5%

The appearance of this beer is nice. The head is pretty flat and the beer has a nice clear golden color.

The smell of this beer is amazing. It has a lot of hoppy and floral notes that just are very strong and make the nose tingle.

The taste is the perfect amount of pine and hops and has a tiny bit of malt on the finish.

The mouth feel is nice and has a great amout of crispness. The beer isnt the smoothest, but still a very nice and easy drink.

Overall this is one of the best beers I have ever had. Lagunitas knows exactly what they are doing when it comes to hppy beers.

4.62/5  rDev +10.5%

Served on tap at it's Minnesota introduction at the Muddy Pig in St Paul, this pours a clear amber color , with a minimal white head that fades quickly, leaving a small amount of white lacing on the glass. The smell is primarily(and richly) of piney hops. The taste is both of intense pinety and citrussy hops, with an exceptional balancing malt flavor. For a beer as hoppy as this is(100+IBU's), it is extremely balanced. This is a hop lover's dream come true, yet it has enough malt balance to please almost everyone. The mouthfeel is rich and tasty. I'm so glad this beer finally hit Minnesota. Here's to the Golden Age of beer drinking!

Hop Stoopid from Lagunitas Brewing Company