1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hop Stoopid - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Hop StoopidHop Stoopid

pDev: 10%

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: lou91 on 03-07-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Stoopid Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 1826-1850 | 1851-1875 | 1876-1900  | next › last »
Ratings: 5,233 | Reviews: 1,897 | Show All Ratings:
kimcgolf

Georgia

4.95/5  rDev +17.9%

This is definitely one of the best beers I've ever tasted. Poured from the glass to a bright orange-red with excellent carbonation and a thick off-white head that lingered for most of the glass and left good lacing. Nose was a very strong, crisp citrus grapefruit andlemons, with a hint of apple, that was constant throughout. Mouthfeel of this full bodied beer was tangy and tingly. Flavor followed the nose perfectly, and the finish was nice, long, and hoppy-bitter.

An excellent beer!!!

11-30-2008 20:33:42 | More by kimcgolf
Ek0nomik

Wisconsin

Poured In: Pint Glass
Purchased At: The Coffee Grounds (Eau Claire, WI)

Appearance: Amber/copper color. Plenty of lacing to go around.

Smell: Strong and pleasant hop aroma.

Taste: Nice presence of orange peel and grapefruit. Crisp splash on the tongue, with a sweet taste.

Mouthfeel: Well carbonated, and sticky malt and hops make their presence.

Drinkability: Even though it's a big IPA, it goes down quite easily. Could definitely have two of these in an evening. The 8% ABV is hidden well.

04-27-2009 20:39:34 | More by Ek0nomik
crunkchiggin2002

Georgia

4.95/5  rDev +17.9%

Appearance - Great orange hue with nice head from aggressive pour and good retention.

Smell - Piney and citrusy sweet.

Taste - Resinous pine and grapefruit. There is a lingering taste reminiscent of candied watermelon.

Mouth - Thick and coating. Resinous.

Overall - One of my favorit DIPAs. This is an outstanding offering from a very solid brewery.
The reasonable cost for bomber format only makes it more enticing.

08-30-2011 18:05:00 | More by crunkchiggin2002
Pdh32

4.95/5  rDev +17.9%

I was turned on to this California beer by a friend of mine. I wasn't sure what to expect other than a "hoppy" beer. I was extremely satisfied with the color, aroma, mouthfeel and taste. I love a good hoppy beer. Hop stoopid combines a fine selection of hops with a delicate but unpretentious balance of malt and depth that makes it easy to drink. When it's gone... You'll wish the 20+ oz bottle was bigger.

06-01-2013 23:41:55 | More by Pdh32
SonnyK85

4.95/5  rDev +17.9%

Had this beer on Draft at Lagunitas on Thursday, September 19 in the beer garden. It's not my first time trying Hop Stoopid.. But it was my first visit to Lagunitas and the first time I was able to drink this beer poured from a draft.

Appearance: A copper color that is lighter in colour that you would expect for a DIPA climbing above 8% in ABV.

Smell: Perfect. Lagunitas is known for using simcoe hops. And they are on full display right from the nose. Very little if any scents of malt and/or alcohol. Mainly the scent of ripe grapefruit and other citrusy aromas.

Taste: My favourite DIPA. The drinkability, taste and depth of this beer are as good as any I've encountered. This beer drinks like an IPA (very smooth for a DIPA). Taste is essentially a citrus-hop bomb that is predominately grapefruity. Alcohol is non-existent for my taste. Mild bitterness slowly accumulates on my palate, but the citrus always dominates. I get very little if any pine from this DIPA.

Mouthfeel: As mentioned prior, drinks more like an IPA. Easily the biggest "citrus bomb" DIPA I've tasted. Perfect for a warm summer day! Sometimes I wish the mouthfeel was a bit more on the colder fall evenings..

Overall: My favourite IPA, period. The aroma is a grapefruity-citrus bomb that immediately engages your senses. The taste becomes progressively more bitter, but the citrusy hops predominate throughout. Drinks like an IPA that could be enjoyed in a warm summer afternoon.

Side note: I tried Hop Stoopid and Pliny the Elder on tap from their respective breweries in the same night. And Hop Stoopid was easily the winner for me. I get a more balanced citrus character, less piney hopes, and lesser mouthfeel (IPA vs. DIPA feel) with Hop Stoopid when compared.

09-28-2013 04:21:38 | More by SonnyK85
markskar

New Hampshire

4.97/5  rDev +18.3%

22 oz. bomber, courtesy of my brother Matt in CT. Thanks once again bro! Another fine selection (and one in which you probably didn't know I've been looking for). I've heard a lot of hype on this brew for a long time here on BA and elsewhere, and I'm please to say that this one lived up to its reputation.

Decanted carefully, pours crystal clear orange, almost gold. Not much of a head to it, but excellent carbonation and nice lacing. If it had a bit more of a head on it I'd give it a perfect 5.

Grapefruit citrus aroma hit me as soon as I cracked the bottle, and is just perfect as I sip on it. I could sit here sniffing this stuff all night, but it tastes too damn good! Flavor is similarly citrusy, but has a more diverse variety than just grapefruit. I'm getting sweet lemonade, pineapple-orange. Just lovely! A damn near perfect DIPA in my book.

Mouthfeel is crisp and appropriately dry, making this an extremely refreshing and drinkable libation. I would keep my fridge stocked with this brew constantly if it were available in NH.

Lagunitas (Lah-goo-KNEE-tuss -- I've been saying it wrong ever since I first heard the name): Please please start distributing to New Hampshire!

05-31-2009 21:05:04 | More by markskar
BenJames1984

4.97/5  rDev +18.3%

We finally got this in Lansing today. I have long awaited this beer, and it has exceeded my expectations...

Appearance- Rich, burnt orange color. Thin white head which leaves a moderate lacing.

Smell- Dominantly pine w/a hint of floral hops hit the nose.

Taste- Well, the 102 IBUs are definitely present in this one. However, they're in the right place, and don't overpower the other amazing flavors.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- For an 8% ABV, this one is pretty easy going. I could see myself drinking at least 2 bombers in a session.

06-21-2009 07:34:03 | More by BenJames1984
McGIPA

4.97/5  rDev +18.3%

Wow! this is a keeper!...my immediate reaction was could this be better than Ruination??!?...and my answer is yes! it is!...I was totally shopping for some other beer and one of the guys in the store saw me looking at this bottle and said "if you never had this, but it now!"...so I did, and damn was i glad!...can't wait to never be able to find it again, but it was awesome!

BTW...price was more then reasonable...think I paid $4.99 for a 22oz

07-09-2009 02:29:51 | More by McGIPA
MrHurmateeowish

New Hampshire

4.97/5  rDev +18.3%

22oz bottle purchased at McKinnon's. Pours a nice crystal-clear amber body with just about no head. Smells amazing. Pine, grapefruit, mint, fresh-cut grass, cattiness, herb, green pepper... Wow, the aromas just keep coming. Pine, orange, grapefruit, pulp, lemongrass, mint, herb, green pepper, fresh-cut grass, with just enough caramel, toffee, and bread so this isn't a complete hop bomb. Medium in both body and carbonation. One sip most definitely invites another, making this one dangerously drinkable.

Holy crap. I have never had a beer like this. This more than earns its name. So good. Probably the best IIPA I have ever had ever. And what a value! Holy crap.

03-03-2011 03:39:20 | More by MrHurmateeowish
Hatzilla

Bomber bottled June 6, 2011; Reviewed July 3, 2011

Appearance: A clear amber with a one inch head and a sheet of lacing.

Smell: A strong tropic medley of apricot, mango, grapefruit, orange and pine. Very floral and alive.

Taste: Fantastic tropic citrus flavors: Mango, apricot and more grapefruit. Some malt appears at the end, but only to balance out the strong hop presence.

Mouthfeel: Oily and slick with medium carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: One of my favorite DIPAS, and a hard one to beat for the price (4.49 for the bomber).

07-04-2011 01:37:22 | More by Hatzilla
JeremyAnaya

4.98/5  rDev +18.6%

Poured out of a big boy bottle into a pint glass. Looks pretty and bronze/coppery with half finger head.

Smells like hop heaven

Taste pretty much like it smells, which is awesome. I find it disappointing when the smell is misleading. Very hoppy with some orangey citrus character in the after taste, nice!

Smooth, nice carbonation, not too heavy

As I always say when I highly recommend a beer... find it, drink it, love it.

07-11-2013 21:52:36 | More by JeremyAnaya
thebeeve

The "Beer Review Tips" tips include the hint "All '5''s should be rare". Agreed, but this is THAT good. I don't know what I'd do to improve this except make it a year round beer and put it into six packs. The taste is very clean/crisp. Very well balanced. Right off the bat this beer jumped to among my very favorite.

05-28-2009 22:05:37 | More by thebeeve
tfrench8985

Connecticut

nice orange amber color, pour nice with tasty head, smell of hops and citrus, taste very hoppy hint of grapefruitvery easy to drink goes down nice and has a kick but not too overpowering,awsome mouth feel and over all a really great beer...best beer i have ever have yet!!!

07-04-2009 01:17:31 | More by tfrench8985
Pup

I always make a point of picking up at least one of these bombers whenever I see them. Ever since I first tried it at the Brewery Fest in LA on the Sony lot (and subsequently didn't leave the Lagunitas sample tent until I started getting uncomfortable stares from the servers), I have loved this beer.

Pours a golden/orange tint amber with a pillowy head. Grapefruit, citrus, and floral hops greet your nose saying, "hi there, let's get to the drinking already." Crisp medium bodied refreshment, well balanced between the hops and malts, with just the right amount of alcohol. Effervescent but not overpowering, you can drink these all day...I did!

08-26-2009 00:16:10 | More by Pup
BeerGuy208

Idaho

Simply Heaven to the Pallet... The name "Hop Stoopid" is definetly an understatement of the massive collection of floral hops that blast you like a 9mm with your first taste. From smell to swig I was impressed down to the last taste. In a less politically correct world, this beer would be called "Hop Retarded" Cheers!

06-14-2010 23:43:44 | More by BeerGuy208
BigB415

I love this beer. One of my favorites from Lagunitas. I get oranges and hops on the nose. When I take a sip I get more of the oranges but the hops aren't overpowering, I can taste the hops for a second then the bitterness takes over. At 102 IBU it can be very bitter to some people but not to me. I just get a sweet orange taste that lingers on my palate for a while. A high recommendation for anyone looking to try to this beer.

12-05-2010 00:02:22 | More by BigB415
davidexactitude

Washington

The perfect American Double IPA.

Everything from it's floral aroma to it's grapefruit notes, this beer rivals any Imperial IPA in America. It's inexpensive and pairs well with any 72% cacao bar. I drink this beer a lot...it's very consistent...I have never had a bad/skunky bottle. I would even venture to say that this beer is better than Pliney the Elder...for real.

01-20-2011 04:29:56 | More by davidexactitude
thebrood1987

The smell of this is almost unmatched. It has a very concentrated, thick, resinous, juicy citrus and tropical fruit hop smell. I also get a sweetness on the smell as well. The taste really backs up the smell with that same tongue digging resinous sweet hop flavor which has fruity flavors reminiscent of citrus grapefruit and maybe some more subtle fruit flavors like mangoes and maybe some raspberry. Its just such a roller coaster ride of hop flavor that ends in a pleasing hop bitterness that isn't too high but high enough to where it seems very potent on the palette.

The 8 percent is seriously not even noted and I'm sure the vicious hop flavor just covers this up unbelievably well. This is most definitely the cheapest and best 22 oz bomber of quality IPA I've ever had. This seriously has the hop flavor and quality of high end 12 dollar bottles. Its awesome how the flavor is more of a sweet bitterness rather than a dry sharp bitterness which is why some people might question the 102 IBU's. I also get some piney hop notes as well on the taste as it warms more. I really can't say enough good things about this beer. A plus all the way around.

05-24-2011 01:43:28 | More by thebrood1987
thourgood

Was a little put off by the name but finally tried it. I have had Pliny often and regularly and my first thought when tasting this was 'wow this tastes like pliny'. As I savored the bomber I only became more and more impressed. This shit is a rival to the best of the American iipas. Hops, smoothness, sweet malt, abv are all where they should be.

07-12-2011 15:48:58 | More by thourgood
TheRealBigC

Nevada

On tap at 775 Gastropub

Color is a light, murky copper. Very alluring.

Smell is incredible. Hoppy with some citrus. It's very simple, but very pleasant.

Taste is a perfect balance. Hops are strong but balanced out with malt and plenty of citrusy delight. Very full-flavored. It's one of those beers I want to cherish with good, full sips that I swish around for a bit (and I smell it every time I take a sip too).

Overall this is one of the best beers I've ever had. I can't think of any reason to mark it down.

08-10-2011 19:36:01 | More by TheRealBigC
Bernardkowalski

Absolutely one of my favorite beers!! honestly can go good with anything, but you are better off enjoying this beer by itself. it has so much too offer, such great combination between the yeast and malt's making this an outstanding brew. you can put this on my list of top beers.

02-17-2013 00:46:09 | More by Bernardkowalski
SteveB24

appearance; hazy orange, evident carbonation, crazy head with good retention.

smell; tropical fruit notes are off the hook. very strong aroma of guava, passion fruit and pineapple. with a bit of hoppy pine in there as well.

taste; sweet tropical fruit, the guava and passion fruit are there, backed up by malt and then a ltlle bit of hop bitterness to finish.

mouthfeel; medium body, slightly creamier then excepted, alot of bubbles.

overall; really underated beer in my opinion, great experience, great value, would easily buy again.

03-10-2014 04:02:17 | More by SteveB24