Hop Stoopid - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Hop StoopidHop Stoopid

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: lou91 on 03-07-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Stoopid Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,998 | Reviews: 2,079
3.05/5  rDev -27.2%

Bottle given to me by my son for Christmas. Thanks big guy.
Fresh hop aroma with sweet grass and sweet citrus (especially a sweet grapefruit). Smells like sunshine :) One the sweeter aromas I've experiences. Minimal malt background.
Big full head. Very clear. Golden and reddish hue. Nice looking. Rocky head.
Full bitterness, but good malt sweetness and some fo the that sweet grapefruit character. There is a slight funky, cheesy swish in the taste (too bad). I know from experience that older hops can have this quality or if dry hopped too long. Extended finish.
Great mouth feel. Soft enough.
Limited drinkability due to the funky flavor issue noted. Too bad as all the other aspects of this beer were enjoyable to me. This could have been a tremendous beer.
I'll give it a go when next years batch comes around. Maybe the piece I don't like won't be there.

3.06/5  rDev -27%

I am not positive that I got a good one, however I have not ever tried this beer before to be able to compare. There is no "drink by" date on the bottle, and I bought it at a liquor store w/ very high turnover, even on their craft brews. But comparing my experience to others who I know that enjoy the style and love this beer makes me think that maybe mine is not so fresh.

Appearance is a nice clear coppery orange. Minimal head that dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing down my glass at all.

Smell is bland, relatively sweet, not hoppy. (First sign that this might not be fresh enough)

Taste is sweet, with a good dose of malt. Oddly tastes like honey. Hops are not up front and there is very little of the telltale citrus or pine notes. For a bottle that boasts 102 IBU, Im left wondering where the bitterness is. (Another sign that mine was not fresh enough)

Mouthfeel is good. Not overly carbonated, nicely smooth, but the sweetness is a little cloying for me. Maybe only because its so unexpected for the style.

Drinkability is not so high because when I buy an IIPA I expect certain characteristics that Im not finding in this bottle.

Having never had this specific beer before, but knowing that I love the style, I will need to try this again to determine if I got a not-so-fresh bottle, or if I just dont care for the beer as much as I expected that I would. I have read reviews of other BA's that I know have similar taste as I who reviewed this beer with high marks and comments that dont necessarily agree with my experience, so I will need to find one that is guaranteed fresh and compare my experiences.

3.06/5  rDev -27%

One pint six FL. OZ. Poured into a big beer mug.

White puffy head dissipates somewhat quickly. Yellow gold color a little bubbly. Thin lacing on the glass.

They ain't kidding with the hops. Spicy and citrus hops tickle the nose. A very distinct piney and grape smell.

Wow, bitterness bites the whole mouth immediately; a warning sensation goes down, even though the beer is quite cool in temperature. Light in body and bubbly in the mouth.

There is over the top bitter hoppiness. A metalic taste upfront that isn't too appealing. A taste of sour dry fruits like tangerines and grapes. It comes and goes with a metalic taste. It's certainly not the worse beer I've had and its a little less than decent.

Drink Ability is real low. I took a few sips had to back away for a little bit. The taste is too overpowering. This is a one beer and you're done situation.

I would like to try this on tap. I've found that beers that I didn't approve much of in a bottle actually was more pleasing on draft.

3.07/5  rDev -26.7%

Poured into a standard pint.

One finger white head that exhibits solid retention. Crystal clear golden body. Nice lacing left behind.

Smell is of piney hops and honey malts.

Taste is of pine, honey and cedar. Not very impressive.

Full bodied, crisp, well carbonated with a good bite.

Alcohol is well hidden.

3.08/5  rDev -26.5%

Served on tap into a Lagunita's mason jar at the Lagunita's Tasting Room

A- Poured a clear amber orange color with a one finger creamy head

S- Piney hops, grape/rasin, and citrus

T- Very highly hopped and very strong grape taste, not grapefruit or orange citrus, but grape. Very sweet and bitter, pretty extreme tasting.

M- Pretty smooth with pretty high carbonation

Overall this beer reminds of an extreme Great Laker Burning River. I get this strange grape flavor from them which I don't care for in an IPA. Pretty disappointed with this beer considering I really like their Maximus DIPA.

3.1/5  rDev -26%

gold colour. large, dense, sticky off-white head. Hazy.

Smells, well, the only word that comes to mind is 'stale.' Hoppy, for sure, but not fresh juicy hops. More muted, spicy, vegetable character - I almost get onion.

Taste is similarly... off. Hard to pin down exactly what it is. Stale, maybe - a definite 'cardboard' impression. Again, that spicy vegetable hops, bitter and herbal, but without the usual bright fruity quality. Again, like cooked onion or celery. Not exactly bad-tasting, but... off. Some toasty malt.

Mouthfeel is good. Dry finish, medium body.

3.11/5  rDev -25.8%

A nice pale orange amber color. The head is quite thick and as it dissipate but the lace clings to the edge.

The nose is hops sweet earthy hops with a hint of pine in the back. The malt is present but overall meh...

The mouth starts with a numbing carbonation. Sweetness follows and the hop flavor and end with a slight bitterness...hrm not a bad taste but average at best.

3.11/5  rDev -25.8%

A: Dark gold color. Creamy two finger head that left tons of lace.

S: Some hops up front, with a mild toasted malt backbone.

T: Hop bite up front with nice bitterness giving away to malt finish.

M: Creamy, medium body.

D: Drinkable, but not one I revisit!

3.11/5  rDev -25.8%

Appearance: This is a beautiful ale. Crystal clear copper, subdued white head.

Aroma: Horrid. Smells of pine so strong it's not unlike gasoline.

Taste: Balanced sweetness that finishes dry. The overtly piney fossil fuel flavor dominates.

Mouth: Medium bodied, just perfect for the style.

Overall: I am a huge fan of Lagunitas. Great brews. This is the first time I was just blow away in a very bad way. I am a big lover of American IPA's and have been for almost two decades. Everything about this ale is fantastic; but this hop bouquet is not pleasant. Wrong aroma hop on this one IMO.

3.13/5  rDev -25.3%

Entirely too hoppy for my liking

3.14/5  rDev -25.1%

Beautifully clear deep orange with a fine, bubbly head. Surprisingly not getting a huge bouquet, and what I am getting is mostly a basic malt sweetness. There is a herbal hop smell in there, but I am surprised by how subtle it is. Taste is crisp, clean, and balanced considering the stats. I am not totally overwhelmed by the IBUs. The high alc (which is slightly too obvious at times), the un-interesting malt base, and the dryness keep the bitterness in check.

Other than the booziness, which I can manage, I am only really disappointed by one thing: the aroma/flavoring hops. There could be so much more citrusy and/or earthy hop flavor and aroma that could take this brew from "hop stoopid" to "hop awesome."

3.15/5  rDev -24.8%

Aromas is typical of the Pacific coast and all Lagunitas beers: pine, grapefruit and citrus.
The taste begins with slight caramel maltiness but the hops quickly take over the show and dominate the palate well through the finish. Hop bomb for sure and pretty standard for one of the original DIPAs; too piney for my liking.
Mouthfeel is full yet quite sticky and resiny, too much so for my liking. Overall this is just not impressive and quite boring. With so many other more balanced DIPAs out there I just can't get recommend this.

3.16/5  rDev -24.6%

Appears translucent, gold with about an inch of white head.

It smells dank: there is a slight skunky kind bud smell going on. I also smell a floral pine smell as well. There is also a bit of a grapefruit, lemon and orange smell going on. It smells quite nice.

The taste is comprised of a mild but noticeable grapefruit flavor. I get notes of pine. There is a bit of a sweet caramel flavor that balances the hop flavor. The end ends with a nice bitterness, though I think it could do with a bit more of hop bitterness. It tastes pretty good but it seems a little one dimensional. The complex hop flavor seen in many double IPAs is not found in this beer. Regardless it still tastes good.

Carbonation is moderate high.

Drinkability is quite good. It goes down smooth and easy.

Overall a nice imperial IPA. It is nothing to complex but it tastes good. It is a good beer but it is nothing amazing or ground breaking.

3.17/5  rDev -24.3%

Pours a slightly cloudy golden amber. Small(ish) head poured into a pint glass. Smell is pleasant. Sweet caramel hits first then a stiff piney citrus comes behind. Taste was too sweet for my liking. Can't hold a candle to some of the other IPA's I've tasted recently. The sweetness hits and stays with you throughout. Not to my liking. Masks the hoppy flavor that I look for in an IPA. Mouth feel is along the same lines. Just too much is the best way I can describe it. Some other BAs mentioned resinous that that's a fair judgment. .

I'm a Lagunitas fan, for the most part, the Brown Shugga and the IPA are standards in my fridge but I couldn't finish it in one sitting.

At $4.50 for a 22oz, its decent value but I'd much rather spend a little more coin and get something I'd truly enjoy drinking. Some other in the same price range I've enjoyed more.

3.19/5  rDev -23.9%

It's all been said about hop stoopid.

Long story short. Not as hoppy as I was hop-ing for.

Clear heavy gold to the light. Head is good.
Malty to the nose! What?
90% sweet 10% hop wrapper.
Sharp on the tongue.
Was looking forward, won't go out of my way to circle back to you hop stoopid. It's not you, it's me.

3.2/5  rDev -23.6%

I'm used to an imperial IPA having some malt presence, maybe more than a standard IPA. This is all hops hops hops. The hoppiest beer I've had but there isn't much else that I can detect going on here.

3.21/5  rDev -23.4%

Poured into a pilsner glass. Light side of orange or golden in color. Clear hue but really filled with carbonation bubbles. Head is very large and creamy in appearance and Navajo white. The carbonation has gone to this ones head. Lace is good at the start and great at the end, in a beautiful ring pattern.

Smell is spicy and weak tart citrus. Some bread or biscuit smells come to me. Not a great nose.

Taste is very earthy with a bit of citrus sweet bitterness. I think this has a ton more flavor when it's fresh. Not sure of the date on this but it has been at the bottle shop for a while.

Mouth is good for the style. Not a bit watery and stayed rich and full to the end. Carbonation, which was a bit out of hand at the start is great.

Overall I must get a fresh batch of this and start over with an edit. I have had this many times in the past and have enjoyed it tremendously. Not this one. Not Lagunitas' fault. Just an old batch. IMO.

3.22/5  rDev -23.2%

So this beer was an experiment on adding a bunch of hop extract to the kettle. Keep experimenting.

Appearance: A chill haze and some suspended particles kept the appearance score down quite a bit. Otherwise it's an attractive brew. Dark, tarnished gold in color...it just looks like a hoppy American IPA, capped by a sizeable white frothy head with good staying power. Lacing was appreciable.

Smell: Intense hop aroma races out of the pint glass up into your nose and the room you're in. Rushing past you is a goulash of typical IPA aromas...pineapple, pine, pine-sol cleaner, spice, citrus and unfortunately a bit of cheese!

Taste:
Actually decently balanced for a claimed 102 IBU's. Drinkable with some balance. On the down side, the finish is surprisingly thin and a bit watery. Conditioning seems a bit light. Lacking complexity.

Overall:
This beer will scratch your double IPA itch, but just barely and not for long enough.

3.23/5  rDev -22.9%

Thanks to my 2012 Secret Santa Montrosse for sending this beer my way. The beer was chilled and into a tulip it went.

A- The body of the beer is clear honey colored. The head is thick and white with major retention. Thick lacing marks this beers passage from my glass.

S- The hop aromas lead with floral notes giving way to fruity apricot, grapefruit and pine bringing in the rear.

T- The beer leads with a little sweetness that is swallowed up in pine resin and nowhere near the amount of fruity flavors. Bitterness is more than adequate to tame the malt. No alcohol noted in the flavor.

M- The body is medium and well carbonated. No alcohol is noted to the mouthfeel.

O- Not a bad beer drink but I will look elsewhere for my hop fix.

3.23/5  rDev -22.9%

Bomber into my C&B tulip on March 17th, 2011.

Standard IPA coloring but with a pretty excellent light tan/white head and very nice lacing. Honestly, the best part of the brew for me. All the basics were in the nose, predominantly citrus with secondary floral and pine characters. Taste was pretty much the same but all the characters felt reduced, hops felt a tad thin at first (might've left this one sitting too long). Overall just "meh". Medium body, appropriate carbonation and ABV-masking. Bitter coating leftovers on the tongue.

Not likely to revisit this one. I've had better from Lagunitas for sure.

3.23/5  rDev -22.9%

A - Pours a butterscotch orange with a nice 1/2 in white head.

S - Lots of pine and bitter hops in the nose.

T - I prefer this beer to the hoptastic Nugget Nectar, but it's still a little too hoppy and piney for me.

M&D - Dry and overly carbonated with a swift kick of the hops.

Not a favorite.

3.23/5  rDev -22.9%

Amber/orange color with a minimal heal that dissipates quickly into small islands of foam. Light lacing.

Smell is kind of weak of an IIPA. Hops and citrus at the forefront, certainly not as strong of a smell as the flavor.

Taste is kind of middle of the road for an IIPA imo. I don't taste the bold, over the top flavors that I have come to expect out of these kind of beers. The balance isn't very bold, it comes on the tongue and goes down the throat with nearly the same hoppy, piney flavor. This flavor isn't uncharted territory, and usually these flavors are met with a better balance of acid or alcohol, but here it was just a smooth hop flavor. The 100+ IBU would make it seem like this would be quite bitter, but it certainly didn't feel that way to me.

Mouth feel was very good. Well carbonated, finishes just a bit dry but on the tongue it felt very creamy. Easy to drink in any situation I would imagine.

Overall, this is an average IIPA. This is about what I would expect from an IIPA, but I would hope for more. I certainly didn't feel that the flavor or the smell was well better than average for the style. I did, however, feel the price was WAY better than average for the style, and that boosted the overall score. 8% ABV, tastes good, easy to drink, doesn't destroy the palate, and it's really cheap? Certainly worth buying again for these reasons. Not a knock your socks of kind of beer, but a knock your socks off beer when considering the price.

3.24/5  rDev -22.7%

appearance; orange-yellow and clear. White head that dissipates to a fine film at moderate speed, remains through the duration of the drink. Very little lacing.

smell; a sweet and sappy spruce resin aroma. A little more inviting than I would expect. Some wet malts in the background my be the source of the sweetness. As the name would suggest very hoppy.

taste; upfront a blast of bitter hops and spruce sap. A hint of sweetness tries to take hold but is quickly destroyed by the hops. The aftertaste is of bitter hops. Not as dominating as some others of this style.

mouthfeel. All around average on the lighter side of medium bodied. A bit slick in the finish, leaving some stick.

drinkability; I not crazy about this style but this on was finishable. The hops are strong but the aftertaste does not throw me off with too much bitterness. When my nose is stuffed and my palate is weak, I'll turn to this one again to remained me of how delicious beer is.

3.25/5  rDev -22.4%

Decent taste. Hop party in my mouth.

3.26/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Bottled on January 8th, 2015. Poured from a bomber into a tulip.

A: Pours a golden color with a 2 finger head of white foam. After a minute or 2 the head fades to a thin film that leaves a few tiny spots of lacing.

S: Pungent aromas of spicy, zesty hops with a kind of grassy smell to it. A bit of piney hop aromas as well. The nose of this beer is pretty one dimensional as all I'm really getting is earthy/herbal hops that are almost unbearable.

T: Flavors of dank, spicy hops and a good amount of pine. Once again very one dimensional, with no malt detectable whatsoever.

M: Medium body with high carbonation and a bold, crisp mouthfeel. There is a high amount of bitterness that leaves a long, lingering finish on the palate.

O: I am a big fan of double IPAs, however I was not a fan of this beer. It is the definition of a "hop bomb" that doesn't have much balance at all. There is no malt detectable whatsoever, and in my opinion this hurts the beer by making it very unbalanced to the point of being almost undrinkable. At first I thought maybe the beer was spoiled, but the code of 008 5 on the neck of the bottle shows it was bottled on January 8th, 2015 (5 weeks ago). I guess I'm just not a fan of this one. Maybe I'll give it another go sometime down the road, but I probably wouldn't drink this beer again.

Hop Stoopid from Lagunitas Brewing Company