2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hop Stoopid - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Hop StoopidHop Stoopid

Reviews: 1901
pDev: 10%

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: lou91 on 03-07-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Stoopid Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,261 | Reviews: 1,901 | Show All Ratings:
guyforget

Colorado

3.05/5  rDev -27.4%

I am not positive that I got a good one, however I have not ever tried this beer before to be able to compare. There is no "drink by" date on the bottle, and I bought it at a liquor store w/ very high turnover, even on their craft brews. But comparing my experience to others who I know that enjoy the style and love this beer makes me think that maybe mine is not so fresh.

Appearance is a nice clear coppery orange. Minimal head that dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing down my glass at all.

Smell is bland, relatively sweet, not hoppy. (First sign that this might not be fresh enough)

Taste is sweet, with a good dose of malt. Oddly tastes like honey. Hops are not up front and there is very little of the telltale citrus or pine notes. For a bottle that boasts 102 IBU, Im left wondering where the bitterness is. (Another sign that mine was not fresh enough)

Mouthfeel is good. Not overly carbonated, nicely smooth, but the sweetness is a little cloying for me. Maybe only because its so unexpected for the style.

Drinkability is not so high because when I buy an IIPA I expect certain characteristics that Im not finding in this bottle.

Having never had this specific beer before, but knowing that I love the style, I will need to try this again to determine if I got a not-so-fresh bottle, or if I just dont care for the beer as much as I expected that I would. I have read reviews of other BA's that I know have similar taste as I who reviewed this beer with high marks and comments that dont necessarily agree with my experience, so I will need to find one that is guaranteed fresh and compare my experiences.

01-04-2010 07:30:38 | More by guyforget
billshmeinke

3.05/5  rDev -27.4%

Poured into a standard pint.

One finger white head that exhibits solid retention. Crystal clear golden body. Nice lacing left behind.

Smell is of piney hops and honey malts.

Taste is of pine, honey and cedar. Not very impressive.

Full bodied, crisp, well carbonated with a good bite.

Alcohol is well hidden.

08-03-2010 21:53:35 | More by billshmeinke
prosper

Alberta (Canada)

3.1/5  rDev -26.2%

gold colour. large, dense, sticky off-white head. Hazy.

Smells, well, the only word that comes to mind is 'stale.' Hoppy, for sure, but not fresh juicy hops. More muted, spicy, vegetable character - I almost get onion.

Taste is similarly... off. Hard to pin down exactly what it is. Stale, maybe - a definite 'cardboard' impression. Again, that spicy vegetable hops, bitter and herbal, but without the usual bright fruity quality. Again, like cooked onion or celery. Not exactly bad-tasting, but... off. Some toasty malt.

Mouthfeel is good. Dry finish, medium body.

07-31-2009 04:56:46 | More by prosper
injuredreserve

Louisiana

3.1/5  rDev -26.2%

A: Dark gold color. Creamy two finger head that left tons of lace.

S: Some hops up front, with a mild toasted malt backbone.

T: Hop bite up front with nice bitterness giving away to malt finish.

M: Creamy, medium body.

D: Drinkable, but not one I revisit!

10-18-2010 00:41:10 | More by injuredreserve
jggibbs

Washington

3.1/5  rDev -26.2%

Pours a slightly cloudy golden amber. Small(ish) head poured into a pint glass. Smell is pleasant. Sweet caramel hits first then a stiff piney citrus comes behind. Taste was too sweet for my liking. Can't hold a candle to some of the other IPA's I've tasted recently. The sweetness hits and stays with you throughout. Not to my liking. Masks the hoppy flavor that I look for in an IPA. Mouth feel is along the same lines. Just too much is the best way I can describe it. Some other BAs mentioned resinous that that's a fair judgment. .

I'm a Lagunitas fan, for the most part, the Brown Shugga and the IPA are standards in my fridge but I couldn't finish it in one sitting.

At $4.50 for a 22oz, its decent value but I'd much rather spend a little more coin and get something I'd truly enjoy drinking. Some other in the same price range I've enjoyed more.

04-06-2011 22:34:51 | More by jggibbs
bishopdc0

Maine

3.1/5  rDev -26.2%

A nice pale orange amber color. The head is quite thick and as it dissipate but the lace clings to the edge.

The nose is hops sweet earthy hops with a hint of pine in the back. The malt is present but overall meh...

The mouth starts with a numbing carbonation. Sweetness follows and the hop flavor and end with a slight bitterness...hrm not a bad taste but average at best.

11-08-2011 03:50:20 | More by bishopdc0
claspada

3.13/5  rDev -25.5%

Aromas is typical of the Pacific coast and all Lagunitas beers: pine, grapefruit and citrus.
The taste begins with slight caramel maltiness but the hops quickly take over the show and dominate the palate well through the finish. Hop bomb for sure and pretty standard for one of the original DIPAs; too piney for my liking.
Mouthfeel is full yet quite sticky and resiny, too much so for my liking. Overall this is just not impressive and quite boring. With so many other more balanced DIPAs out there I just can't get recommend this.

04-01-2011 15:43:55 | More by claspada
chumba526

Oregon

3.15/5  rDev -25%

Appears translucent, gold with about an inch of white head.

It smells dank: there is a slight skunky kind bud smell going on. I also smell a floral pine smell as well. There is also a bit of a grapefruit, lemon and orange smell going on. It smells quite nice.

The taste is comprised of a mild but noticeable grapefruit flavor. I get notes of pine. There is a bit of a sweet caramel flavor that balances the hop flavor. The end ends with a nice bitterness, though I think it could do with a bit more of hop bitterness. It tastes pretty good but it seems a little one dimensional. The complex hop flavor seen in many double IPAs is not found in this beer. Regardless it still tastes good.

Carbonation is moderate high.

Drinkability is quite good. It goes down smooth and easy.

Overall a nice imperial IPA. It is nothing to complex but it tastes good. It is a good beer but it is nothing amazing or ground breaking.

11-28-2010 01:09:57 | More by chumba526
kevinbudd

3.18/5  rDev -24.3%

It's all been said about hop stoopid.

Long story short. Not as hoppy as I was hop-ing for.

Clear heavy gold to the light. Head is good.
Malty to the nose! What?
90% sweet 10% hop wrapper.
Sharp on the tongue.
Was looking forward, won't go out of my way to circle back to you hop stoopid. It's not you, it's me.

12-17-2009 04:11:19 | More by kevinbudd
AlexanderSelby

3.18/5  rDev -24.3%

Beautifully clear deep orange with a fine, bubbly head. Surprisingly not getting a huge bouquet, and what I am getting is mostly a basic malt sweetness. There is a herbal hop smell in there, but I am surprised by how subtle it is. Taste is crisp, clean, and balanced considering the stats. I am not totally overwhelmed by the IBUs. The high alc (which is slightly too obvious at times), the un-interesting malt base, and the dryness keep the bitterness in check.

Other than the booziness, which I can manage, I am only really disappointed by one thing: the aroma/flavoring hops. There could be so much more citrusy and/or earthy hop flavor and aroma that could take this brew from "hop stoopid" to "hop awesome."

02-02-2011 00:00:54 | More by AlexanderSelby
JHombrew

3.18/5  rDev -24.3%

Appearance: This is a beautiful ale. Crystal clear copper, subdued white head.

Aroma: Horrid. Smells of pine so strong it's not unlike gasoline.

Taste: Balanced sweetness that finishes dry. The overtly piney fossil fuel flavor dominates.

Mouth: Medium bodied, just perfect for the style.

Overall: I am a huge fan of Lagunitas. Great brews. This is the first time I was just blow away in a very bad way. I am a big lover of American IPA's and have been for almost two decades. Everything about this ale is fantastic; but this hop bouquet is not pleasant. Wrong aroma hop on this one IMO.

01-10-2014 01:13:49 | More by JHombrew
Patrick999

3.2/5  rDev -23.8%

I wanted to see what a 102 IBU hop-extract brew would taste like, and now I have my chance.

A - Pours into my Squatters IPA goblet very clear, very gold. A couple bubbles, but not many at all, lazily percolate up from the bottom. Good retention and plenty of lacing.

S - So *that's* hop extract. Hmm, I think I've noted a similar aroma in a few other brews. It smells very green.

T - This tastes like hop candy and not too much more. Way sweeter than I expected for 102 IBU and 7.7% alcohol. Hop character, but not too much at all in the way of hop bitterness. This is weird...it's both hoppy and not hoppy at the same time, but definitely not toe-curlingly bitter like a SN Celebration, Torpedo, or Stone Ruination. Malt? What malt? I just get some macro-ish cereal grain, like Special K.

F - Seems very sticky-sweet and filling. I'm not a fan.

D - I'm not sure I'm terribly crazy for this beer, but it has made for enlightening beer education. As for drinkability, I could see people who think they don't like hops, liking this 102 IBU beer, and being surprised for it. For me, though, this is too sweet. If I had wanted something hoppy and sweet, I'd have pulled a DFH 120 out of the cabinet. Indeed, this kinda brings to mind a weaker, less complex 120 Minute Mini-Me. Not sure I can finish the whole bomber...the wearisome sweetness is, well, wearing on me. Beyond the novelty of an unapologetic extract brew, this just hasn't kept me interested.

04-19-2009 21:15:36 | More by Patrick999
Sachsenfreude

Germany

3.2/5  rDev -23.8%

appearance; orange-yellow and clear. White head that dissipates to a fine film at moderate speed, remains through the duration of the drink. Very little lacing.

smell; a sweet and sappy spruce resin aroma. A little more inviting than I would expect. Some wet malts in the background my be the source of the sweetness. As the name would suggest very hoppy.

taste; upfront a blast of bitter hops and spruce sap. A hint of sweetness tries to take hold but is quickly destroyed by the hops. The aftertaste is of bitter hops. Not as dominating as some others of this style.

mouthfeel. All around average on the lighter side of medium bodied. A bit slick in the finish, leaving some stick.

drinkability; I not crazy about this style but this on was finishable. The hops are strong but the aftertaste does not throw me off with too much bitterness. When my nose is stuffed and my palate is weak, I'll turn to this one again to remained me of how delicious beer is.

01-25-2011 19:49:19 | More by Sachsenfreude
Auracom

3.2/5  rDev -23.8%

Bomber into my C&B tulip on March 17th, 2011.

Standard IPA coloring but with a pretty excellent light tan/white head and very nice lacing. Honestly, the best part of the brew for me. All the basics were in the nose, predominantly citrus with secondary floral and pine characters. Taste was pretty much the same but all the characters felt reduced, hops felt a tad thin at first (might've left this one sitting too long). Overall just "meh". Medium body, appropriate carbonation and ABV-masking. Bitter coating leftovers on the tongue.

Not likely to revisit this one. I've had better from Lagunitas for sure.

03-18-2011 18:55:22 | More by Auracom
azdback

Arizona

3.2/5  rDev -23.8%

Poured into a pilsner glass. Light side of orange or golden in color. Clear hue but really filled with carbonation bubbles. Head is very large and creamy in appearance and Navajo white. The carbonation has gone to this ones head. Lace is good at the start and great at the end, in a beautiful ring pattern.

Smell is spicy and weak tart citrus. Some bread or biscuit smells come to me. Not a great nose.

Taste is very earthy with a bit of citrus sweet bitterness. I think this has a ton more flavor when it's fresh. Not sure of the date on this but it has been at the bottle shop for a while.

Mouth is good for the style. Not a bit watery and stayed rich and full to the end. Carbonation, which was a bit out of hand at the start is great.

Overall I must get a fresh batch of this and start over with an edit. I have had this many times in the past and have enjoyed it tremendously. Not this one. Not Lagunitas' fault. Just an old batch. IMO.

05-29-2011 05:45:06 | More by azdback
birdypowder

Oregon

3.2/5  rDev -23.8%

So this beer was an experiment on adding a bunch of hop extract to the kettle. Keep experimenting.

Appearance: A chill haze and some suspended particles kept the appearance score down quite a bit. Otherwise it's an attractive brew. Dark, tarnished gold in color...it just looks like a hoppy American IPA, capped by a sizeable white frothy head with good staying power. Lacing was appreciable.

Smell: Intense hop aroma races out of the pint glass up into your nose and the room you're in. Rushing past you is a goulash of typical IPA aromas...pineapple, pine, pine-sol cleaner, spice, citrus and unfortunately a bit of cheese!

Taste:
Actually decently balanced for a claimed 102 IBU's. Drinkable with some balance. On the down side, the finish is surprisingly thin and a bit watery. Conditioning seems a bit light. Lacking complexity.

Overall:
This beer will scratch your double IPA itch, but just barely and not for long enough.

10-30-2011 03:54:56 | More by birdypowder
nlmartin

3.2/5  rDev -23.8%

Thanks to my 2012 Secret Santa Montrosse for sending this beer my way. The beer was chilled and into a tulip it went.

A- The body of the beer is clear honey colored. The head is thick and white with major retention. Thick lacing marks this beers passage from my glass.

S- The hop aromas lead with floral notes giving way to fruity apricot, grapefruit and pine bringing in the rear.

T- The beer leads with a little sweetness that is swallowed up in pine resin and nowhere near the amount of fruity flavors. Bitterness is more than adequate to tame the malt. No alcohol noted in the flavor.

M- The body is medium and well carbonated. No alcohol is noted to the mouthfeel.

O- Not a bad beer drink but I will look elsewhere for my hop fix.

01-03-2013 14:19:32 | More by nlmartin
duffextracold

3.23/5  rDev -23.1%

Light golden amber color, one finger head fades quickly. lots of bubbles. Smells like fruity hops, mostly pineapple. not much else gets through. some sweet malt taste, mostly fruity hops, very bitter. Pleasing mouthfeel, nice carbonation level. Not bad as a whole. i was expecting more. very hop forward, but mostly just bitter and aroma. i was hoping for more delicious hop flavor. oh well, it was still pretty good.

04-28-2009 23:25:32 | More by duffextracold
Moxley

3.25/5  rDev -22.6%

A - Pours a butterscotch orange with a nice 1/2 in white head.

S - Lots of pine and bitter hops in the nose.

T - I prefer this beer to the hoptastic Nugget Nectar, but it's still a little too hoppy and piney for me.

M&D - Dry and overly carbonated with a swift kick of the hops.

Not a favorite.

07-06-2009 19:53:26 | More by Moxley
WTBash

3.25/5  rDev -22.6%

Appearance and smell-wise, it's exactly what I'd expect from a quality IPA or APA. I do have some qualms, however, with the taste. The mouthfeel is thick and smooth, while not encumbering the taste, which is frankly bitter for the sake of being bitter. It's really hoppy, which I enjoy, but the hoppy taste feels forced as if it were a product of an extract rather than brewing. It's worth checking out but overall not impressive.

11-12-2010 04:28:03 | More by WTBash
HarrySTruman

3.25/5  rDev -22.6%

Amber/orange color with a minimal heal that dissipates quickly into small islands of foam. Light lacing.

Smell is kind of weak of an IIPA. Hops and citrus at the forefront, certainly not as strong of a smell as the flavor.

Taste is kind of middle of the road for an IIPA imo. I don't taste the bold, over the top flavors that I have come to expect out of these kind of beers. The balance isn't very bold, it comes on the tongue and goes down the throat with nearly the same hoppy, piney flavor. This flavor isn't uncharted territory, and usually these flavors are met with a better balance of acid or alcohol, but here it was just a smooth hop flavor. The 100+ IBU would make it seem like this would be quite bitter, but it certainly didn't feel that way to me.

Mouth feel was very good. Well carbonated, finishes just a bit dry but on the tongue it felt very creamy. Easy to drink in any situation I would imagine.

Overall, this is an average IIPA. This is about what I would expect from an IIPA, but I would hope for more. I certainly didn't feel that the flavor or the smell was well better than average for the style. I did, however, feel the price was WAY better than average for the style, and that boosted the overall score. 8% ABV, tastes good, easy to drink, doesn't destroy the palate, and it's really cheap? Certainly worth buying again for these reasons. Not a knock your socks of kind of beer, but a knock your socks off beer when considering the price.

06-30-2012 16:43:56 | More by HarrySTruman
Swettenham_Shire

3.25/5  rDev -22.6%

Hop Stoopid doesn't really stand out in my opinion. I don't see these bottles flying off the shelves at the local grocery store. I'll rate it slightly above average... 3.25/5.

It all comes down to preference anyway. I'll stick to Lagunitas Sucks and Lil Sumpin Sumpin Ale.

03-16-2014 03:40:14 | More by Swettenham_Shire
charlzm

3.28/5  rDev -21.9%

Consumed November 21st, 2010 from a De Proef goblet. Yeah, I know it's inappropriate glassware. Sue me.

Beer is a clear, medium amber/gold with a strong white head that dies slowly. Plentiful carbonation provides good head replenishment and some sheeting on glass sides.

Aromas are asphalt and turpentine, though I let my girlfriend smell it and she got apricots. Huh. There is definitely a resiny pine component, on that we can agree. Also a huge herbal presence. Going to have to go with "average" on this due to my bad experience and the better impressions others had of the exact same glass.

Flavor is huge: some sweet malts, but the massively bitter, citric (grapefruit?) and pine hoppiness is the dominant note here. Finish is bitter as hell and lasts forever. Strangely, that is a selling point for some.

Mouthfeel is oily and thick but the carbonation keeps it from being coating.

I had to sip this one and it still took me an hour to finish my half of the bomber.

11-22-2010 20:20:24 | More by charlzm
northaustin

3.3/5  rDev -21.4%

poured into a pint glass with a two finger head, no lacing. clean honey color thats very transparent.

the smell is just hops. floral and fairly bitter.

as far as im concerned its just slighty more hop flavored than any other ipas but is not balanced as well and the bitterness is almost all in after taste

it leaves the sticky hop oils in your throat and mouth but as a semi hop head this is nothing too special. just a good hop feeling.

for the price, this is one of the best ipa bombers i know of readily available in the texas area. big hop flavor for a small price. grabbed me a few

07-06-2009 22:07:32 | More by northaustin
WhiteOak

Connecticut

3.3/5  rDev -21.4%

Lagunitas Hop Stoopid Ale

A- Bright honey yellow. Thick rocky head.

S- Strong Pine, Fir bud resin, and grapefruit hops aroma.

T- Astringent, bitter, pineapple hops dominate the attack, with a pleasant, slightly sweet. medium-bodied malt and Ruby Red grapefruit on the mid-palate. A nearly endless bitter finish.

M, D- For fans of an IPA with a solid shot of additional bitterness, this is a good one at a bargain price. Good, but the tongue-stomping bitterness did not compel me to want to repeat it. Easily drinkable, but some bitterness fatigue may occur. This was tasted along side the Dugana, and at half the price, it showed rather well, but could use a bit more balance.

02-13-2010 00:11:49 | More by WhiteOak