Hop Stoopid - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Hop StoopidHop Stoopid

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: lou91 on 03-07-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Stoopid Alström Bros
2.4/5  rDev -42.7%

My Dad's pick in the father vs. son beer battle.

Solid gold like touched by Goldmember. Very clear. Good retention and lace from an initially thin head.

Mainly malt aroma. Some minty passion fruit in there but not enough to float my boat.

Taste is similarly lacking in hop flavor. Lots of malt and plenty swampy, pine syrup bitter but no really flavor. I DIPA with this little hop flavor and aroma is in fact hop stupid IMO. Cloying sweetness and unappealing bitter.

I hate the spelling of stupid with two os. This applies to both Lagunitas Hop Stoopid and the Southern California band Slightly Stoopid. I do like the band Slightly Stoopid though. I don't like Hop Stoopid. I declare myself battle winner.

2.48/5  rDev -40.8%

2.55/5  rDev -39.1%

poured 22 ounce bottle in a wine glass

A: clear; loose white head of foam thats laces the glass on the way down

S: sweetness, pine hops

T: tastes like dirt, piny earthy hops take over,I don't know the age of this beer the code on the neck is 2684311

M: standard

D: Passed this beer up many of times I have had quite a few of lagunitas beers and have not been impressed by many. this is no exception.

look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Thanks to forgetfu! Beer was bottled on June 15th..hopefully 2010.

A: Pours a light gold with orange/amber highlights. Nice thick one finger head dissipates slowly to some foam on top. Very nice lacing left on the glass.

S: Don't get much in the way of hops, a little bit of citrus. I do get a buttery aroma and a little but of grainy malt.

T: A little more citrus here with some lemon. A little bit of grainy malts at the end.

M/D: On the thinner side. Its obvious the bottle is past its prime. Don't know the date, but wouldn't be surprised if it was 2009. Very sad, hopefully I can find a fresher bottle since this looks like a beer that is right up my alley.

2.58/5  rDev -38.4%

I was amazed to find this at my local liqueur store. I paid $6 for a bomber. As I typically like Lagunitas I gave this a try. I won't be trying it anymore.

A- appeared crisp, nothing fancy
S- Smelled of lots of hops... but I wouldn't say overly hoppy
T- It tasted like my mouth was full of copper pennies. I couldn't finish this bottle
M- Horrible. I regretted every sip.

Overall, not very good. I will stick with the other Lagunitas.

2.58/5  rDev -38.4%

Live review. Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into my Cooperstown Beverage Trail pint glass. Purchased for $5.99 at Beverage Warehouse on Mayfield Road in Cleveland last Tuesday. No observed freshness date.

A Kinda basic orange/light brown translucent body under a nice creamy head that has the consistency of meringue. Lacing is moderate on the side of the glass.

S Well, hops. Grapefruit tartness to the nose without much balance. It certainly delivers on the hops, wonder if the taste will offer any balance.

T Surprisingly basic DIPA taste of unbalanced hops. Overripe grapefruit predominate and stay with me for more than 3 minutes after I sip. There is very little balance here.

M Big feel to this beer with the huge hops and elevated ABV. The feel is average for the style, though.

D Not good. I will finish the bomber (in the interest of scientific process and investigation) but I would have preferred to share this bomber with another Beer Advocate. That being said, I think that the drinkability is about average for the style.

2.6/5  rDev -37.9%

Let's get to it. I didn't like this much; at least in comparison to the classic IPAs from Stone and Bells. I didn't get big citrus and pine. SOME sour grapefruit, but more sharp cheddar and sourness. Over the top hops with little malt--which is fine with me....when the hop taste is yummy. This was sharp, sour, but also bland. I have had a lot of citrus/piney IPAs and I don't get that from this brew like other reviewers did. I won't be revisiting this.

2.68/5  rDev -36%

Appearance -- Bright amber with a finger of creamy white head.

Smell -- Grapefruit, cannabis, basement, caramel malt. Overall, citrusy and dank.

Taste -- Grapefruit, pine, lots of green onion and garlic. Baseline of hop bitterness throughout - hop extract? Caramel malt backbone trying to keep things together.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-full in body with ample carbonation.

Drinkability -- How is this so highly rated? Malting is adequate, but the hop profile is really far off. LOTS of onion and garlic; I left half of the glass at the bar. Funny how I remember this being so much better the times I've had it in the bottle...

Hop Stoopid from Lagunitas Brewing Company