Hop Stoopid - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Hop StoopidHop Stoopid

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: lou91 on 03-07-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hop Stoopid Alström Bros

Hellpop65, Oct 20, 2014

NCStateAE, Jan 04, 2014
2.8/5  rDev -33.2%

Cyndi, Oct 11, 2014
2.8/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Displays a brillant sunset of color on the pour; everything from pale lemon to burnished, ripe peach is represented. Head is big, foamy, clumsy. Charming.

Aroma is thick and sweet, gobs of Golden Syrup and honey, tinned mandarin orange (including the can), stewed papaya, and fresh fig. No raw hop smell here -- this has been cooked and mingled, like a marmalade. Wish it didn't have that metallic note.

Taste is loaded up with booze and more cooked fruit. The papaya is outfront. No grass or green flavors whatsoever; it tastes almost rehydrated. Somewhere in there is a whisper of basil. Big cracking ribbons of tin can come flailing back on the swallow. After tasting it, I notice the label says this is made entirely with hop extracts. Maybe that's the culprit?

Mouthfeel is there, but pretty low. If you're going to make a beer this jammy, it's going to need more carbonation.

Overall, this is a largely unpleasant beer; the whole point of IPAs is to embrace the glory of the hop, the fleeting freshness that each batch provides. As, say, a California Old Ale, this would be passable. If you socked away a bottle or two of this for five years and forgot about it, I'd be fascinated to see what would happen; would the flavors round out? Would the booziness fade? Would that danged metallic flavor ever leave? I'm not going to test this hypothesis, mind you, but if anyone out there feels like doing so, knock yourself out.

The worst Double/Imperial IPA I've ever had? No. Not even close. But not pleasant, either.

ithacabaron, Jul 24, 2011
2.88/5  rDev -31.3%

A: A bit foamy at first, then a nice lacing...
S: Kind of average for a hoppy-type beer.
T: OK, for an Imperial IPA, kinda weak...and got more maltier, rather than hopier (which one hopes for in a double IPA)
M: Good and typical of the LaGunitas collection.
O: I had higher hopes being a LaGunitas beer. Being a 'fan,' was a little let down 'they' didn't throw down the 'goods' being as it's a double IPA. Bottom line, I'm glad I got a 22.oz instead of a 6 pk.

scootpolute, Jun 05, 2011
2.88/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

P: Poured from a bomber into a standard pint glass. Label depicts a somewhat derelict looking barn with the phrase 104 IBU 4 U written above. No freshness date.

A: Pours with 2 1/2 fingers of very light tan head. this settles slowly to a rocky coating of foam, leaving behind substantial lacing. The beer itself is amber and perfectly clear, somewhat unusual for a 102 IBU beer. No sediment in the bottle.

Smell: Strong aroma of citrus and a bubblegum like sweetness.

Taste: Hop spiciness is not as forward in the taste as in the smell, somewhat subdued actually. Oily/greasy off flavors, reminds me of onion rings. Vegetable bitterness is noticeable, with a medium hop bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Average carbonation level. Body is okay.

Drinkability: Looks and smells great, but some strange off flavors. My wife likened them to old hops wrapped in wet newspaper. Would have been a drain pour for me, but I just gave my pint glass to her. Probably my first and only try sampling of this one.

beveritt, May 23, 2009
2.9/5  rDev -30.8%

Appearance - Clear golden honey. Very inviting. 1 finger of head settled very quickly.

Smell - Floral & citrus.

Taste - Blown away by the bitterness! As expected, at 102 IBU, they aren't kidding around with this one. Although that's nice, underlying flavors are few and far between. Some grapefruit-like flavor comes through, but that's about it. Sadly, this looks to be a one-trick pony (on the bright side, it is a cool trick).

Mouthfeel - Light carbonation. Thin but not weak. Finishes very clean & very dry. I like it.

Overall - I'd drink it again, but I won't be rushing out to buy it. Lagunitas makes other brews that I love, and I will stick with those.

sbxx, Feb 13, 2013
2.92/5  rDev -30.3%

rktrat, Monday at 03:20 PM
2.93/5  rDev -30.1%

A - Pours with a light, fluffy head which did not stay throughout. Golden coloring, very transparent

S - An almost metallic smell which interfered with the hop smell

T - Decent, smooth hop taste, but nothing special. Just when it feels like the beer is about to take off, it falls flat

M - Solid; sticks around, settling on the back of the roof of my mouth, but again, the beer fizzles at the deciding moment when I expect it to really do something

D - Very drinkable, although for the price I feel there are better options

ebin6, Apr 05, 2010
2.93/5  rDev -30.1%

Not what I was expecting, poured a very nice golden copper with a coarse head.
Smelled fantastic, takes citrusy to a new level.
Hops come through in the taste, bitterness is on par, but there is both an oily and some kind of tar type undertone(fishy?)(undertone may be an understatement) that starts at the tongue and oozes down the palate. The more I try it the more I notice and dislike it. Had high hopes for this beer.
Mouthfeel is typical for a strong IPA, bitey and well carbonated.
Taste buds have evolved in order to help people identify what is/isn't ok to consume by analyzing the tastes present in food/drink. There is something in this beer setting off a "do not consume" signal going to my brain.
Not drinkable at all.

kcr357, Apr 29, 2010
2.93/5  rDev -30.1%

Bottle given to me by my son for Christmas. Thanks big guy.
Fresh hop aroma with sweet grass and sweet citrus (especially a sweet grapefruit). Smells like sunshine :) One the sweeter aromas I've experiences. Minimal malt background.
Big full head. Very clear. Golden and reddish hue. Nice looking. Rocky head.
Full bitterness, but good malt sweetness and some fo the that sweet grapefruit character. There is a slight funky, cheesy swish in the taste (too bad). I know from experience that older hops can have this quality or if dry hopped too long. Extended finish.
Great mouth feel. Soft enough.
Limited drinkability due to the funky flavor issue noted. Too bad as all the other aspects of this beer were enjoyable to me. This could have been a tremendous beer.
I'll give it a go when next years batch comes around. Maybe the piece I don't like won't be there.

garymuchow, Jan 10, 2010
2.95/5  rDev -29.6%

Poured from 22oz into tulip taster.
Pours copper color with good lacing.
Smells of hops.
Taste of big hop...slight malty but rrally big skunky funk.
I hate to say it, but I'm not a fan of this brew. Its got a very bitter aaftertaste and its somewhat hard to drink. It tastes like a batch gone bad. I really don't like this brew at all. Its to bitter...its too hoppy, and not balanced at all.
Gross brew from a great brewery.

DrinkSlurm, Jan 08, 2012
2.95/5  rDev -29.6%

A-Poured a thin, reddish-orange body with a quickly dissipating off white head.

S-This was perhaps the best part of the beer with pine and citrus scents on the nose and some sweet smelling malt coming through on the second whiff.

T-Terribly disappointing after smelling all those aromatic hops. I love hops but this one failed to come through. The malt is really too much for me and leaves a rancid, sweet taste behind that overshadows the citrus and pine bitterness.

M-Just as it looks...a little thin.

D-I honestly didn't enjoy this beer, but would still gladly drink it over many others on the market.

Considering all the high marks this beer has received, I am wondering if this was a bad bottle. However, there are so many brilliant IPAs on the west coast that it is likely I will not give this a second try if there is something else available.

bifrostguard, Sep 07, 2008
2.95/5  rDev -29.6%

This is a pretty good IPA. A pretty decent hoppiness to it. The hops really hit strong up front on the sip, but less so in the aftertaste of the swallow than some beers. In particular, I found this to be a bit too carbonated for my taste. The tanginess of the citrus/grapefruit flavors also stand out a bit much, threatening to overwhelm the bitterness of the hops. A pretty tasty IPA, that isn't bad if you are looking for hop heavy beer, but not the full fledged hop heaviness you might expect from the name.

spunionring, Mar 31, 2012
2.98/5  rDev -28.9%

One pint six FL. OZ. Poured into a big beer mug.

White puffy head dissipates somewhat quickly. Yellow gold color a little bubbly. Thin lacing on the glass.

They ain't kidding with the hops. Spicy and citrus hops tickle the nose. A very distinct piney and grape smell.

Wow, bitterness bites the whole mouth immediately; a warning sensation goes down, even though the beer is quite cool in temperature. Light in body and bubbly in the mouth.

There is over the top bitter hoppiness. A metalic taste upfront that isn't too appealing. A taste of sour dry fruits like tangerines and grapes. It comes and goes with a metalic taste. It's certainly not the worse beer I've had and its a little less than decent.

Drink Ability is real low. I took a few sips had to back away for a little bit. The taste is too overpowering. This is a one beer and you're done situation.

I would like to try this on tap. I've found that beers that I didn't approve much of in a bottle actually was more pleasing on draft.

9InchNails, Nov 30, 2010
2.98/5  rDev -28.9%

So hoppy your mouth will be puckering long after you take a sip of this drink. The name of this beer is not deceiving, its just ridiculously hoppy.

The reason I rate this beer so low is not because I hate hops, its because there is a lack of balance in this beer, its basically hoppy for the sake of being hoppy.

jokemon, Aug 15, 2013