Hop Stoopid - Lagunitas Brewing Company

Lagunitas Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: lou91 on 03-07-2007

Reviews: 2,051 | Hads: 7,195
4.6/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This was one of the best I had at the EBF, so I needed to get some. Thanks to Matt at Winchester W&S for letting me know exactly when it was due to arrive. Poured in to a snifter a near perfect clear orange, with two fingers of pillow like white heading. Nice pungent hops start off in the smell. The hops stay prevalent, but there is also some sweet cream involved here, along with some mild tobacco. Taste is once again dominated by resiny, piny hops...truly hop juice. At the same time it is not so overwhelming as to ruin your taste buds after drinking it. Mouthfeel is medium to heavy, with great carbonation, and lots of subtle nuances as the beer warms up some. Drinkability is about as good as it gets for me. This West Coast Imperial IPA is as good as any out there that I have tried. Exceptional by all standards, but the cheap price tag places it on its own. Cheers

4.29/5  rDev +2.6%

A: Really bubbly with a nice head, but the froth is composed of the largest thinnest bubbles I've ever seen. It looks like they won't last long. Half the head is gone within 1 minute. No lacing.

S: Caramel, brown sugar and fruit with great hop backing. Brown sugar is a little strong.

T: Nice fruit esters and great hop flavor. The bitterness is top notch. The malt on this one isn't yeasty at all, and has some nice grainy body. Cannot taste the alcohol at all, which is impressive considering it's 8.2% ABV!

M: Medium-bodied, carbonation is good. A little bit astringent. Lovely.

D: Drinks nicely, goes down easy for the high ABV. Wonderful beer.

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

A: pours a clear copper into my pine belt pale ale pint glass, a two fingered pillow falls to leave a couple of milimeters of cream on top very sticky lacing

S: it's hoppy, citrus and pine all the way, caramel sweetness is faint

T: damn this is tasty! lots and lots of bitter and sweet citrus, grapefruit, pommelo, orange, tangelos, clementines, some sweet toasty carmel really subdues the bitterness of what seems to be a truckload of hops and the finish is really fuckin sweet almost makes me think I'm drinking juice, hop juice, reminds me some what of a bastar child of nugget nectar and maharajah

M: light carbonation medium body but very sticky no discernable alcohol burn

D: very tasty I drank a bomber very quickly, I could see the sweetness getting a little old after a couple bottles

3.98/5  rDev -4.8%

Poured into an oversized wine glass, somewhat vigorously to establish a decent head.

At first nose drop I was hit with a decent amount of malt and hoppy grapefruit with a trail of vinegar.

It had a nice fizzy amber color with a relatively small head considering the vigorous pour but lacing was nice at first but fell off the glass quite quickly.

The taste was really nice with a burst grapefruit then a sweet tangerine followup reminding me briefly of Nugget Nectar.

It stood strong in the glass giving a decent feel albeit a slight bitter hoppy aftertaste which really doesn't bother me at all.

I find this to be more of an Amber Ale with lots of fruity notes which makes it a bit different but one I will definitely grab again if I see it on the shelf.

3.43/5  rDev -17.9%

lynx1245 brought this back from Santa Rosa. He and I (Nick) drank this as a follow up to Pure Hoppiness.

Poured into a snifter.

Appearance: Clear copper body with loose, off-white, 1-finger tall head. Head looks sticky, and ends up dragging some good lacing behind it. Head retention is just okay.

Smell: Juicy grapefruit and orange with a mild metallic character. Pine and dry hops too, but overall the aroma is pretty faint.

Taste: Lots of grapefruit followed by tons of funky, herbal hops. Pretty damn sweet, with a good amount of tartness and bitterness, too. Finishes very bitter. A powerful brew, but it seems a little... simple.

Mouthfeel: Pretty good amount of carbonation, but nothing overbearing. Actually feels foamy in the mouth. Kinda slick and dry as well.

Drinkability: Meh, not that great. Lots of herbal hops, which is cool, but seems to be lacking complexity. I'm not even sure if I like the flavor to be honest. Forgettable.

3.8/5  rDev -9.1%

taste- sweet hops, nice balance

color- honey-amber

clarity- clear

smell- fresh hops, citrus, fruit

body- medium-full, oily, medium-length finish

appearance- nice clean color, active carbonation, white lace

notes- good balance, hop sweetness, no hop bitterness in the finish, good beer, a little sweet

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

Well, this is the first time I have seen this offering from Lagunita's in Ohio, so needless to say, I must try it! Shared last night with DrewOSU and newtonty as I lost my ass in poker.

22 ounce brown bomber with no freshness, (but recently delivered to Ohio). "102 I.B.U's4U" on the label - cool!

Pours a clear, golden amber with an average head. Great sticky lacing seen, as well.

Smells like a hop bomb, indeed! Big and stinging grapefruit, pineapple and cherry on the hop side with a miniscule, bready malt presence hiding in the back. This is mainly all hops, very West Coast IPA in style, like a Pliney the Elder. Nose is scathingly big and pungent...

Mouth is like the nose suggests with BIG, green and pungent hops flavors all around. This is very fresh and biting. There is a malt presence, but it's not balanced by any means! If you love the hops, this is one you must try.

You can't beat the price on this big beer, as well. Check it out!

4.36/5  rDev +4.3%

Got to say this is one of the best Imperial IPAs I have every drank.

Pours a golden copper with a nice white head, and awesome hop aroma. The hops are not overpowering to taste buds, but almost the just right amount of hoppy bitterness.

I hear this is the replacement for Maximus...and boy if it is what a great replacement!

4.12/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured into fluted tulip. Color is gold, low carbonation, one finger-fluffy head with considerable lacing.

Hello Bubble Yum fruit punch! A citrus bomb on the nose: tangerines, apricot, clementine oranges, some pine and a faint amount of grain.

Moderatley crips on the palate leading to much of what the aroma revealed: grapefruit meets pine which leads to a hop explosion followed by a bitter/puckery/dry finish. When can we come up with a style called "hop wine?" I think it's time.

The name says it all, drink this baby and you are skipping down the road to hop stupidity; a must for hop heads. If you are looking for balance, look elsewhere - I digress.

4.42/5  rDev +5.7%

I'm a fan. In absolutely no order: Strong grapefruit, huge hops. Nose is overwhelmingly - you crack the bottle and the nearly fills the room. Lots of syrupy hops in here, strong bitter presence throughout. A touch of rough-ish malt. No alcohol presence, which is nice, and an improvement over a lot of Lagunitas brews. Nothing much in the way of lacing, but it's a solid - if standard - looking copper beer with a smallish head. Body is highly carbonated. Really a big fan of this one, although I realize that I might actually prefer it as an IPA rather than a DIPA. Better than the Maximus, but still not quite as varied and flavorful as some of the best of this style. Either way, I'm a fan, and this one is a definite success from Lagunitas.

Whole Foods/ $6/22 oz

4.42/5  rDev +5.7%

Picked up a couple of bottles upon arrival at the store. The beer pours a crystal-clear amber with a one-inch head that settles to a few millimeters. Carbonation is vigorous, but very fine. The aroma is extremely hoppy. Citrus notes and pine overwhelm all, but there is a sweet malty note in the backround. The taste is very green with hops. Grapefruit and pine are distinct, along with other fruity flavors. It finishes dry, yet balanced with malt. This beer is medium bodied, and resinous hops coat the palate and linger for a long time after each sip. Hop Stoopid is a beer suitable for any hophead. 102 IBUs at only 7.7% ABV? Somehow this works. And the price is very reasonable as well.

4.12/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured from a 22oz brown bomber into a clear pint glass. No freshness date. Purchased from Wine Warehouse (Charlottesville, VA) for $4.35.

A: Burnt orange hue with respectable 2-finger off-white head with average retention but loads of lace.

S: Amazingly broad range of aromas including pineapple, mango, leafy tobacco, pine sap, and floral C-types. The edge I like though isn't there -- it is complex but benign-smelling.

T: The taste is also a bit too benign and comfortable. The softness and subtlety of the flavor includes a lot of leafy, pine, and floral hop flavors. But, again, this beer is devoid of the edge and slight harshness of a good DIPA.

M: Easy to drink with low carbonation and decent coating. Firmly medium-bodied.

D: A good DIPA but nothing too special. I like Lagunitas Maximus a lot more and there are obviously plenty of other DIPAs out there.

4.07/5  rDev -2.6%

Bomber into a Brooklyn snifter.

Appearance: Lighter copper color with very little carbonation floating up, and scant lacing with less raindrops and rings than I thought would be from the quickly disappearing initial pour.

Smell: Solid all around, with a great and deep earthiness, pungent grapefruit and lighter pine mixed in, along with some sourness and citrus more of lemon.

Taste: The pungent earthy notes and grapefruit resiny flavors come to the forefront, but there's a good balance of clean malt flavors to cut the bitterness and balance everything out. Long finish, slightly dry, with citrus, sourness, and grapefruit by the end.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with full carbonation and a nice burst with each sip by the end.

Drinkability: Nothing transcendent, but a very good offering, especially for the price. Fitting for the hophead and also, weirdly enough, the casual DIPA drinker. Lagunitas continues making great brews.

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

A - Poured this into my Strong Beer Month 2009 globe glass. Excellent clarity, medium-light orange in color. Formed a thin off-white head but lacked head retention. Small amount of visible carbonation.

S - Did I just open up a bag of dank? It almost smells that way. Loads of piney/resiney hop aromas marry with some grapefruit.

T - Wow. This one's bursting with hop kick. The flavors tend on the piney side, mirroring the aroma. Bitterness is extraordinarily high. Malt is clean and is definitely taking a back seat to the hops. Wonderful crisp dry finish and a long, lingering bitterness.

M - Medium bodied, moderate/moderate-high carbonation. Perhaps my palette is playing a trick on me but the beer feels a bit overcarbonated. I might be confused but I think that's the only detractor as far as body goes.

D - Damn. This is one fine DIPA. The first time I had this beer was at a brewfest up in Novato. I recall being extremely impressed at the time then failing to ever pick up a bottle. When I saw this on the shelves of my local BevMo, I knew I needed to give it a shot. Very well done. Loads of hop flavor, tons of bitterness, excellent dry finish. It ain't quite Pliny the Elder but this beer is getting damn close. Kudos to the folks at Lagunitas for making one of my new favorite Imperial IPAs.

4.12/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured into thee DT Tulip.

A: Golden, very much on the dark side. A frothy 1.5 cm head persists (maybe with help of the glass, can just see the etching blasting bubbles to the top) and there is lively lacing.

S: Very aromatic, sweet grapefruit, caramel, grassy meadows?

T: Alcohol runs and hides, good masking. Touch of sweetness, malty, to peach and grapefruit, polished off by a very mellow grassy linger.

M: Light, but slippery, easy drinking

D: $5.99!? With the outrageous price of hops this seems like a bargain. I think this is a good DIPA, but the market is huge and I would seek alternatives. Solid beer that did not dissapoint.

4.22/5  rDev +1%

A beautiful light copper with a thick white head that laces like mad.
Smells all grassy and piney. Lots of citrus and sweet caramel goodness. The smell is just too damn good, I don't want to drink it. It's hard to tell which hop note is the most pronounced.
On to the taste, and damn, is it just like the smell. Nicely sweet with tons of hop presence. Smooth and creamy with very little carbonation in the mouth. Rich and creamy and delicious and one of my new favorite beers.

3.78/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

This is a highly regarded beer coming out of Lagunitas. After reading through the reviews here, I definitely had my expectations soaring, for the "value beer of the year" or "one of the best buys available". Unfortunately, I just didn't think it lived up to the hype. Don't get me wrong - it's a solid beer and a nice effort from Lagunitas. Just not nearly this hype-worthy. Maybe I'm just spoiled by the Hopslam and Nugget Nectar in the fridge. Anyway...

A: Beautiful. Deep golden color. Nice, thick texture. Decent head to it, but not overly carbonated appearance. I just wanted to dive in.

S: Intensely aromatic. I could smell this from the second I popped the lid off the bomber. In fact, my sister-in-law could smell it from the couch when I walked past her. Pine sap is the dominant scent, by far. It's followed by grapefruit and somewhere under there is some sweet malt (probably honey is closest).

T: Sight and smell were better than taste. Perhaps this is where the hype had mislead me. I really wanted to see more citrus in this flavor. Or at least a less astringent bitterness. Or less dominatingly pervasive bitterness. Like the scent, pine was still #1, followed by some grapefruit and possibly some orange zest. The warmer it got, the more prevalent the honey became and the more balanced and likeable the brew was overall.

M: Wonderful texture. If the flavor only matched my preferences, I would have swirled it around in my mouth and danced for joy.

D: Piney and bitter when cold. Much more drinkable when cellar temperature. Not too bad when in the mid-60's, either. I'd drink it again.

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

This poured a clear gold color with off-white head. It smelled like strong pine hops, with rose and potpourri notes, and a bit of honey. It tasted like pine and rose hops with some juniper and fresh peppercorn, and lingering honey sweetness. It was somewhat thick with a bit of carbonation, and had a smooth bittersweet aftertaste. Overall this was a pretty interesting beer, almost like if Sierra Nevada made an imperial IPA but better. It had that same pine character, but it was brewed with much more skill and delicate touch than Sierra tends to provide. The beer seems like an unbalanced hop bomb at first, but then it ends with incredible malty sweetness, and an overall very clean taste. It had great body too, and hid the alcohol well under the big flavors. This beer is better to sip, but is very enjoyable to drink. Great value, too!

2.66/5  rDev -36.4%

Let's get to it. I didn't like this much; at least in comparison to the classic IPAs from Stone and Bells. I didn't get big citrus and pine. SOME sour grapefruit, but more sharp cheddar and sourness. Over the top hops with little malt--which is fine with me....when the hop taste is yummy. This was sharp, sour, but also bland. I have had a lot of citrus/piney IPAs and I don't get that from this brew like other reviewers did. I won't be revisiting this.

Consumed on 2/22/09

Poured a copper color with no visible head. Smells of sweet citrus hops and has a nice hop burn as it travels down the throat. Taste is bitter citrus and pine hops and has a light body. Alcohol is well hidden and is very drinkable. Good value for the money although not a top contender for favorite DIPA.

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Quite a fine looking specimen of deep amber copper galore. Thick white chunky white head. Rocky as hell with spectacular lacing chunky as well. Retention is long long long.

This is just an great smelling beer. Cat piss and grapefruit jump out of the glass. A light malt aroma in the background with other citrusy goodness but just hard to pull anything out of the burst at the beginning.

Easily the best Lagunitas beer I've had. Asprin, cat pee, citrus, more of a malt prescence in the middle bready in character but this beer is all about wonderful juicy ass grapefruit. Throughout the entire palate from beginning to middle and long into the finish. Nice bitterness wth a mouthfeel that stays in tact and leaves a drying sensation but nothing acrid like many DIPA's I've sampled recently have been. Great priced as well. I'll be buying a case of this beauty.

4.47/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours a clear coppery color with a large white foamy head. This is a good,not great looking beer. The smell is very pungent with a huge citrus hop aroma. The taste is very good with a gigantic blast of citrus hops. I feel like I just had a sip of grapefruit juice with alcohol in it. Along with the citrus hops, there is some hop bitterness to this. The m/f is light with all the flavors mixing very well. This is a big bottle of juicy grapefruit hops. Enjoy.

4.55/5  rDev +8.9%

First off, upon opening this bomber of goodness a poof of peach fills the air...great start.

Ahhh...then it pours to a clearer then clear body of pale orangish gold color and lifts a hugely thick capping of crunchy lightly yellowed whitish foam. It swiftly simmers down to a firm and dense skim remaining present throughout the duration of its time in the glass. Tons of torn up sheets and big spots of lacing stick very well. May need to scrap before it becomes permanent...geez. Impressive looker!

And ahhh...the nose is great. Mega fresh peach is what I claim first, then pineapple, bright orange peels, lemon rinds, and what all that sets is one oily heap of zippy citric freshness. Wonderfully boasting and fresh!

Taste doesn't disappoint...more ahhh's to be had here no doubt. Crisp and crunchy peachy factors over pineapple, orange marmalade, and super high juicy peelyness abound. Zesty, buzzing, lemon and lime hints, definately hoppy, peppery even, but mellowing enough in its IBU's to claim a stake to your palate with an amazing ease and comfort. Slightly toastified malty backing with smidgeons to biscuityness. The hopitude oilyness ensues as it warms and becomes a bit more evident in its unique and late set finish of bittering pineyness. SOLID.

Body is clean, crisp, bright, kind of crunchy yet rounded nicely. Mediumishly set, nearing full and loaded well of hoppy textures and tongue tantilazing hop paste. It makes a home quickly on your taste buds and doesn't leave. Fantasticly clean and oily hopped up finish with peach fuzz and pine left overs.
Pfft, pfft, (tongues teeth)damn, I think I need a toothpick to pick the hop bits from my teeth. Which is weird, cuz apparantly this is all extract? Oh well, I still feel like I brushed my teeth with a bunch of hops. Delightfully yummy!

I want to be able to drink the hell out of this, but just couldn't, it is a bit of a brute. But one that would pick you up after knocking you on your ass. What a nice brew.

Plus, at under $5 per bomber this is a fucking steal!

4.09/5  rDev -2.2%

Pale orange, steady stream of large CO2 bubbles, white head and decent lacing. Big time pine sap aroma. Mmm mmm, this is how I like my DIPAs. Yes, there's some sweet maltiness in the nose, but it's completely out done by the pine and light citrus. Flavor is pretty good. For 102 IBUs I was expecting a lot more bitterness, but this is more hop flavor than bitterness to me. It's mostly pine with maybe some hints of citrus, and solid pale malt backbone with a biscuit/cracker like character. Medium to full bodied, average carbonation. Pretty easy to drink actually, and the 7.7% ABV doesn't weigh you down. A nice DIPA, but nothing great.

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

22 ounce bomber poured into a Unibroue tulip. No bottling information is listed on the bottle. Consumed on 2/16/09.

This bottle is different than previous bottles of Hop Stoopid that I have purchased. The logo has been tweaked and this beer is no longer under the Sonoma Farmhouse by Lagunitas brand. The abv has been reduced from 8.2% to its current 7.7%.

A-Nice amber color. No haziness when poured. Nice 2 finger head that slowly dissipates. Tons of lacing left on the glass.

S-Citrus is the dominant smell hitting my nose.

T-Taste like it smells Ton of grapefruit runs through your palate. Remarkably balanced for the 102 IBUs that are in the bottle.

M-Smooth, light bodied mouthfeel.

D-Goes down very easily. Alcohol presence is not to be found. Would love to see this as a sixer.

Hop Stoopid is still a great beer. I would say the old 8.2% version was a 4.5 for both smell and taste. Can't complain though due to its reasonable price point ($3.69 before tax and CRV).

Hop Stoopid from Lagunitas Brewing Company